MFC Transfer update January 2024

Re: MFC Transfer update January 2024

Postby redrobo » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:58 pm

IF and it's a big IF Cole ever made a return I'm sure he would be the first to acknowledge that he let the fans down but more importantly he let himself down and I for one believe EVERYBODY has the right of a second chance to put any wrongs to right.

So for me I'd welcome him back because I suspect we will need a Cole firing on all cylinders for us to not get involved in yet another relegation battle which could be the end of our club as we know it and go down the road that Hereford and Scunthorpe have trod.....to name only two :!: :!: :!:
redrobo

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:39 pm

twosheds wrote:
nobbyshrimp wrote:Speak for yourself, no thank you

Agree 100% He showed where his loyalties lay last time he was at The Mazuma...

Definitely agree. Not a chance should we have him back for reasons more than well documented.

I don't get the obsession sometimes with thinking past players should (or could) come back here.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Born again Bill » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:15 pm

Oh good someone with the same thinking as me . I have said it before and i will say it again Cole Stockton and his sulky ways IS the reason we are back in league 2 .
Born again Bill

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:56 pm

Billy bodger wrote:How about a big number 9, as in a massive, brutish, player that can hold the ball up and is a clinical finisher? Is there any out there?

Quoting my self because I didn’t really think about it relating to Cole Stockton, A lot of clubs play with one tall big centre forward and though we where successful with Mellon up front supported by Adam, JJ and Tom, things have changed with players going back and should Morecambe give it a go for the second half of the season?

Is there any player we can bring in for the rest of the season who fits the bill of my previous post out there, without it being Stockton. Either on loan or on contract till the end of the year?

As for Stockton I am as disappointed at him as anyone for basically being unprofessional. He wanted away and that’s up to him, but Morecambe were paying his wages (just about), and he should have put more effort into playing from the start of the season. Instead he left it with a late flurry of goals but only so some team from League One would buy him. Well that worked out nicely, for them didn’t it.

Non league, League two or one it doesn’t matter.
Billy bodger

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:06 pm

Born again Bill wrote:Cole Stockton and his sulky ways IS the reason we are back in league 2.

Absolutely.

If he came back, because Ged wants him, then I'll support him 100%. But, I'm not wanting to see him back in a Morecambe shirt.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Redalert1970 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:21 pm

If we want any new players playing on Saturday they must be signed tomorrow (not sure what time by though)
Redalert1970

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:49 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:If we want any new players playing on Saturday they must be signed tomorrow (not sure what time by though)

Barrow had a trialist on Tuesday.

I think if we had had players training with us they would have played as trialists in that game.

Maybe Greg Strong just arranged the keeper and the winger before leaving.

Looks like a backs to the wall game v Mansfield if we don't sign any forwards.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby lancaster shrimp » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:25 am

Redalert1970 wrote:If we want any new players playing on Saturday they must be signed tomorrow (not sure what time by though)

Must say I'm worried now as to what our squad may look like now come Saturday. They'll be coming round JB's bar asking if we have a spare of boots to fill the bench!

Jason out.
lancaster shrimp

Postby Billy bodger » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:18 pm

lancaster shrimp wrote:

Must say I'm worried now as to what our squad may look like now come Saturday. They'll be coming round JB's bar asking if we have a spare of boots to fill the bench!

Jason out.

Is Love available yet? As said by someone else he can play in midfield, the few times he has played there he has looked useful enough.

I don’t think we can buy anyone so it’s more lone players or out of contract players.
Billy bodger

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:23 pm

Billy bodger wrote:I don’t think we can buy anyone so it’s more lone players or out of contract players.

Out of contract players can be signed at any time, not just transfer window. If we had out of contract players on the radar, I would have expected them to have come in by now. The only way we'll be signing out of contract players, is if we have other targets through the loan system, who we fail to land. If we're lucky, there will be some half-decent youngsters out there, who need a bit of 'toughening up'. Otherwise, we're really going to struggle.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby vvm » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:33 pm

We should really be doing everything possible to bring in some quality loans. I seem to remember Derek being quoted that we were paying a very small amount of Adam Phillip's wages when we had him on loan so there is clearly a lot of value to be had in the loan market.

At this stage of the season you're not going to find many good free agents, Gwion could come good but there's probably a reason he's been without a club since the summer. Be that injury or quality related.

I know we have shifted on a few players in the past few seasons via 'mutually agreed termination' of their contracts. It could be that we pick up a few this way but I doubt we can offer longer than a 6 month contract and if a team is that eager to move on a player for nother/a loss then questions would need to be asked why.
vvm

Postby black morse » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:04 pm

We should get an update tomorrow when Ged gives his re match interview.
black morse

Postby Billy bodger » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:15 pm

vvm wrote:We should really be doing everything possible to bring in some quality loans. I seem to remember Derek being quoted that we were paying a very small amount of Adam Phillip's wages when we had him on loan so there is clearly a lot of value to be had in the loan market.

At this stage of the season you're not going to find many good free agents, Gwion could come good but there's probably a reason he's been without a club since the summer. Be that injury or quality related.

I know we have shifted on a few players in the past few seasons via 'mutually agreed termination' of their contracts. It could be that we pick up a few this way but I doubt we can offer longer than a 6 month contract and if a team is that eager to move on a player for nother/a loss then questions would need to be asked why.

If we cannot offer more than six month contracts that raises two issues, will players come for six months? If we are bringing players to this club and we believe we have found a good player why not offer them an 18mth contract? The other issue is from that, are we going to let all the players we have here, go at the end of the season once again!! If they are not offered anything now they are not going to hang around (think back to last season) or look into leaving. If we do not tie down JJ and Senior down now we will lose them, other clubs will come in, they are still young hungry players who could play at a higher level.

As I’ve said before it will have to be a total collapse for us not to pick up the necessary points to stay in this league. We still have our defence and much of our midfield it up front where we need to find a player to score the goals. Are the strikers we still have in that category? We could throw in the youngster
Saul Fo-Akande, from a few I have spoke to the think he has great potential. As the old adage goes if your good enough your old enough. Looks like nobody has arrive so far today. That gives a chance to both Charlie and Cammy to step up, let’s hope they are up for it. I do however see that Saul is now on the first team squad page, that’s interesting.
Billy bodger

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:43 pm

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:53 pm

Keith wrote:Joe Adams joins on loan:

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2024/j ... ams-signs/

that reads to me that JJ McKiernan might be out for a while, and Joe Adams fits that bill.
Andy D

Postby Angler1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:02 pm

Great to see a signing , but I really want to see a striker sign .
Angler1

Postby Angler1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:03 pm

Great to see a signing , but I really want to see a striker sign .
Angler1

Postby Andy D » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:04 pm

Angler1 wrote:Great to see a signing , but I really want to see a striker sign .

2nd that.
Andy D

Postby Redalert1970 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:31 pm

Nothing against Joe Adams but we need much more than him
Redalert1970

Postby black morse » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:41 pm

Angler1 wrote:Great to see a signing , but I really want to see a striker sign .

We do need a striker (unless Ged thinks that Charlie can do the job) but we also needed cover for JJ who is also a vital part of the team and is going to be out for nearly 2 months. Give Ged a chance to find a striker on loan.
black morse

Postby Billy bodger » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:53 pm

Slew up front for now. Play both new lads and see who else we can bring in over the next few weeks. I hope he has Saul Fox-Akande on the bench.
Billy bodger

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:47 pm

Guessing Adams is the cover for JJ - also got Taylor who can play there, although I'm interested to see if he gets a role a bit deeper as a replacement for King. Looked really good when he dropped there against Swansea (was impressive all game), and Davenport has struggled a lot this season. Love also another who can play that more ball-playing deeper midfield role alongside Songo'o - going to be a massive boost when he's back.

I think a striker is the main priority for now, although we could do with a bit more at centre back, out wide and in midfield. Wonder if Threlkeld is staying - might be a handy utility player to have able to cover in midfield, centre back and at right back, could potentially help free up money for other recruits if he ticks a couple of boxes as cover.
Little Shrimp

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:45 am

I'll be getting on the bus at 0700 from Southport this Saturday more in hope than belief I reckon.....but tha' never knows. :?
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:19 am

Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:I'll be getting on the bus at 0700 from Southport this Saturday more in hope than belief I reckon.....but tha' never knows. :?
we've lived on more hope than expectation for many years! COYS
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby redrobo » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:01 am

Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:I'll be getting on the bus at 0700 from Southport this Saturday more in hope than belief I reckon.....but tha' never knows. :?

Totally respect for your support all the way from Southport on a bus.

Certainly an example to all those locals who support any team other than the Shrimps.
redrobo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion