Statue at new ground

Statue at new ground

Postby Howe Magic » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:48 pm

I dont know if this as been mentioned on here before but just wondering if there are going to be any statues at new ground - what do people think of idea and who would they have as a statue
Howe Magic

Re: Statue at new ground

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:56 pm

A statue of me would be appropriate :ugeek:
Bare Ben

Postby Mighty Red » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 pm

I vote for CC.
Mighty Red

Postby Number 1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:27 pm

The only possible person would be JB Christie I would have thought, but despite what he did for the club in the beginning, and the legacy he left, and not wishing to belittle what he did, I don't think too many people nowadays can relate to him really so it might be a bit of a waste.

When you think of the likes of people who have had statues outside football grounds, like Bobby Moore, Billy Bremner, Billy Wright, Duncan Edwards, Brian Clough, and Bill Shankly, and when you consider those that might have but haven't, for example Bobby Robson or Malcolm MacDonald you can't really say that anyone who played for or managed Morecambe has reached those heights can you?

So for me, it's a no go. I think the nearest we could or should go, would be stand names after people. This is more personal to the football club and celebrates the relative achievements of those people at Morecambe FC. Bit like the Bentley one at Telford, and the stands at Preston and Burnley.
Number 1

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Diddy David Hamilton

He put Morecambe on the map big time!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:34 pm

Yes he did, when he read out my request on the radio when we played Tooting and Mitcham.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby campdave » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Mighty Red wrote:I vote for CC.

Is there enough bronze?
campdave

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:05 pm

I was referring to his legendary ELS CARPETS commercial, filmed in the Arndale center around 1972, The whole town turned out to watch filming, plus several thousand holidaymakers, it was bedlam!!!

Morecambes answer to woodstock in my opinion, and I was there!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Christies Child » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:18 pm

campdave wrote:

Is there enough bronze?

Bronze.... :( :( :(

Surely I'm worth Gold....at the very least.... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby pompeyred » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:16 pm

Christies Child wrote:
campdave wrote:

Is there enough bronze?

Ive got some Copper I was gonna weigh in...
pompeyred

Postby John L » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:16 pm

I think we should have a statue of Sammy with his bottle of coke! 8-)
John L

Postby wijit » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Number 1 wrote:The only possible person would be JB Christie I would have thought, but despite what he did for the club in the beginning, and the legacy he left, and not wishing to belittle what he did, I don't think too many people nowadays can relate to him really so it might be a bit of a waste.

When you think of the likes of people who have had statues outside football grounds, like Bobby Moore, Billy Bremner, Billy Wright, Duncan Edwards, Brian Clough, and Bill Shankly, and when you consider those that might have but haven't, for example Bobby Robson or Malcolm MacDonald you can't really say that anyone who played for or managed Morecambe has reached those heights can you?

So for me, it's a no go. I think the nearest we could or should go, would be stand names after people. This is more personal to the football club and celebrates the relative achievements of those people at Morecambe FC. Bit like the Bentley one at Telford, and the stands at Preston and Burnley.

That's pretty negative stuff there. Fair enough, no-one can really claim to be able to relate to Mr christie now, but in all honesty not a lot of supporters now can truly relate to Best or Charlton. Sure, we can all read about what they did but that is surely even more reason to have a statue of Christie-because we can't read a lot of him.
However, just for your information, Brian Clough's statue isn't anywhere near a groundBobby Moore's statue is a bit of a walk from West Ham as it's outside Wembley, Duncan Edwards' statue isn't at a ground (it's in the centre of Dudley). This may seem pedantic, but my point is that those men's achievements were more far reaching than just for the clubs.
The heights reached are relative. Without those players/managers, those clubs would've had less success. Without JB Christie, we wouldn't have a club, or certainly not the one we do have!
wijit

Postby Mark S » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:47 pm

Rod Taylor

A true legend and unsung hero.
Mark S

Postby Posh » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Mark S wrote:Rod Taylor

Cheap to do as well. Just get a cast of the Eric Morecambe statue but make it about a foot and a half shorter, and thicken the glasses.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby shrimper » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:10 am

Posh wrote:
Mark S wrote:Rod Taylor

Cheap to do as well. Just get a cast of the Eric Morecambe statue but make it about a foot and a half shorter, and thicken the glasses.

Ridiculous suggestion - that'd look like Syd Little
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:53 am

I think we should have a statue of Simply Ned, just like this one.

durhamshrimp

Postby Mighty Red » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:58 am

campdave wrote
Is there enough bronze?

I didn't mean full size :o
Mighty Red

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:34 am

Bare Ben wrote:A statue of me would be appropriate :ugeek:

It would have to be larger than life otherwise it would be hidden by the corner flag pole.

Christies Child wrote:
campdave wrote:

Is there enough bronze?

We could'nt afford your weight in gold and it would block the main entrance :lol: ;)

I think Mr. Christie would look great in his "new home", maybe with his pet "Christie Cat" by his side?

I'm sure our Directors already have this sorted out :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Number 1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:03 pm

wijit wrote:
Number 1 wrote:The only possible person would be JB Christie I would have thought, but despite what he did for the club in the beginning, and the legacy he left, and not wishing to belittle what he did, I don't think too many people nowadays can relate to him really so it might be a bit of a waste.

That's pretty negative stuff there. Fair enough, no-one can really claim to be able to relate to Mr christie now, but in all honesty not a lot of supporters now can truly relate to Best or Charlton. Sure, we can all read about what they did but that is surely even more reason to have a statue of Christie-because we can't read a lot of him.
However, just for your information, Brian Clough's statue isn't anywhere near a groundBobby Moore's statue is a bit of a walk from West Ham as it's outside Wembley, Duncan Edwards' statue isn't at a ground (it's in the centre of Dudley). This may seem pedantic, but my point is that those men's achievements were more far reaching than just for the clubs.
The heights reached are relative. Without those players/managers, those clubs would've had less success. Without JB Christie, we wouldn't have a club, or certainly not the one we do have!

Accept your point about Cloughie and Duncan Edwards, although Bobby Moore as England captain is in the right place outside Wembley in my view. If you're suggesting that there SHOULD be a statue of JB Christie, then I'm not going to argue with that in principle. As I said, for me, it's probably the only worthy option.
Number 1

Postby Christies Child » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:15 pm

Surely I'm worth Gold....at the very least.... :?: :?: :?:[/quote]

We could'nt afford your weight in gold and it would block the main entrance :lol: ;)

I think Mr. Christie would look great in his "new home", maybe with his pet "Christie Cat" by his side?

I'm sure our Directors already have this sorted out :D[/quote]

Cheeky bustard.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

My wife thinks I'm worth more than my weight in gold...especially when i let her have use of my credit card :lol: :lol: :lol:

However my daughter sides with you lot! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion