https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67938522
thenorm

Re: Derek on the move, official

Postby black morse » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:52 pm

I just hope that if Adam Mayor goes he doesn't go to Ross County :roll:
black morse

Postby redrobo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:03 pm

black morse wrote:I just hope that if Adam Mayor goes he doesn't go to Ross County :roll:

As long as we get his market value Adam can join who he wants BUT prefer him to stay until this time next season and then get his deserved move but for a fee.

I don't want another Cole fiasco where we should have let him go when an offer came in for him.
redrobo

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:56 am

Ahhhhh..... the grass might always LOOK greener, but there is always the potential for some hidden dog shit lurking within that said grass.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68224265
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Redalert1970 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:51 am

The end is very close for Derek

If not today .. Probably after getting hammered at Rangers next week
Redalert1970

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:12 am

Redalert1970 wrote: Probably after getting hammered at Rangers next week

Thought he didn't drink
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby redrobo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:03 pm

Nothing but respect for DA for what he has done for our club and wish him well going forward.

Hope he survives but the omens aren't good.

He didn't have to jump the Maz ship but that was his choice but he felt that a move 'back home' was the best for him.

IF as seems likely that he will be out of work in the near future it's doubtful that any club will take him on board so is this the end of DA in management?

If so then it is a loss to the game.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
redrobo

Postby nobbyshrimp » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:28 pm

Not sure whether or not Ross County will act so quickly or whether he will be given time but imo most league 2 teams would want Derek on board as his cv is impressive to say the least at this level, a very good manager but we never see what goes on behind the scenes at football clubs and neither should we either.
nobbyshrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:30 pm

His managerial career most certainly won't be "over".

He's got plenty of brownie points in the bag from his achievements here on two occasions and at Plymouth.

Somebody somewhere will take him on.
Seasider9601

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:24 pm

I am sure Derek is now wishing he hadn't pursued the opportunity to manage Ross County again. He must realise that he will never find a better board of directors to work for than he had here at Morecambe.

We must remember our King. I don't think anyone else could have won promotion for us with both the budget and ownership problems prevailing in 2020/2021. I don't think anyone else could have come back in with 12 matches left and kept us in EFL1. I don't think anyone else could have had us within 1 win of going 2nd in EFL2 at the time of the Barrow match on 31st October.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Derek :!: :!:
Gone_Shrimping

Postby shrimpsontoast » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:39 pm

Pretty sure that if you’ve got multiple promotions on your CV at professional level (as he has), you are going to keep getting jobs until you’ve had a particularly long barren run. Other stats that I would like to see: of the 92 managers how many have got 1 promotion on their CV and how many have got more than 1 (at any professional level).
shrimpsontoast

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:12 pm

It is a shame that he felt he had to leave us, we were the perfect club for him and his methods. He ran the club from top to bottom and had his people in place off the field. He is our greatest Manager despite what some on here will try and have you believe. He dragged us kicking and screaming in to League 1 and a world full of ambition. He will walk in to another job down here, no doubts about that.

If you think it is bad for Derek, pop on to Southport Twitter. Jee whizz.
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:17 pm

I don't understand all the vitriol towards Derek, especially on Facebook. He did an excellent job with us, and with a bit of investment or, a centre forward who wasn't sulking for most of the season, we'd still be in League One. No doubt he is currently regretting his decision, but it is sad to see what's happened up there.

I'm delighted to see the changes Ged has made and hope it will be a long time before we need to look for another manager, but I wish Derek all the best.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby John L » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:04 pm

I wonder if he's eyeing up succeeding Neil Warnock at Aberdeen, another of his old clubs...
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby black morse » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:10 pm

Keith wrote:[b]I don't understand all the vitriol towards Derek, especially on Facebook.[/b] He did an excellent job with us, and with a bit of investment or, a centre forward who wasn't sulking for most of the season, we'd still be in League One. No doubt he is currently regretting his decision, but it is sad to see what's happened up there.

I'm delighted to see the changes Ged has made and hope it will be a long time before we need to look for another manager, but I wish Derek all the best.

I'm glad you added the words "especially on Facebook" as I don't remember any actual vitriol towards him on here. I think his main reason for going was the continuing lack of progress in matters off the field. I'm sure he appreciated the backing of our BoD but couldn't see any way forward with the present owner.....which agrees with how we all feel.
black morse

Postby deadorred70 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:19 pm

Theres a job at Portvale up for grabs 8-)
deadorred70

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:21 pm

Derek resigned
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:33 pm

Seasider9601

Postby bigdavethemaddog » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:41 pm

shrimpsontoast wrote:Pretty sure that if you’ve got multiple promotions on your CV at professional level (as he has), you are going to keep getting jobs until you’ve had a particularly long barren run. Other stats that I would like to see: of the 92 managers how many have got 1 promotion on their CV and how many have got more than 1 (at any professional level).

based on this - how does Lee Johnson amongst others keep getting jobs?
bigdavethemaddog

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:51 pm

Lee Johnson.

Sacked twice in one season. Takes some doing that.

His dad is having a torrid time at Torquay as well and their fans want him gone.
Seasider9601

Postby Angler1 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:01 pm

I'd have him back tomorrow, hes the best manager we have ever had. No disrespect to Ged but Derek is the king.
Angler1

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:01 pm

This makes his leaving even sadder. Totally understand why he made the change, must have been draining trying to shake the little old Morecambe attitude from the place. I would love to see him back in charge but he has probably burnt his bridge and how could the club as an employer trust him again?

I think we will look back on the Derek Adams era as our golden age. He dragged us up from our knees and showed us that things could be different. Promotion to League 1, Full houses, good footballers and a real sense of ambition about the place. He talked the talk but he certainly backed it up. Wherever he ends up, they will be lucky to have him.
BerlinWaller

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:58 pm

Derek is the only person at Morecambe FC I have heard with an optimistic vision of what could be. Aim for the Championship , new stand down the open carwash side etc etc.

Maybe , although this could be jumping the gun , if John McMahon is punished by the EFL and has to stand down , maybe Derek back as "Director of football" , Ged as head coach and our new coach promoted to assistant manager.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby shrimpsontoast » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:20 pm

Who originally coined this term “little old morecambe”? It doesn’t really make much sense to me in a world where football fans call new clubs “plastic” and all “proper” clubs are expected to have a long history. Do we wish we were “big plastic morecambe”? I remember Derek trotting it out in an interview when we first started winning under him. It may even have been after the opening game where we beat Cheltenham away in the league two promotion season. I distinctly remember that (to his great credit) he came across as being very embarrassed by the phrase, as if someone had told him to say it and he’d very reluctantly agreed.
shrimpsontoast

Postby Redalert1970 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:34 pm

Resigned before been sacked
Redalert1970

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion