Derek on the move, official

Re: Derek on the move, official

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:35 am

black morse wrote:Am I right that Mayor is the only player with a contract continuing beyond the end of the season?

Yep, as Derek said, it's a rebuild job every 6 months
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Angler1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 am

If we've received any compensation due to Derek leaving , then that money should ve used to get Coleman from Accrington..
Angler1

Postby black morse » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:39 am

Keith wrote:Bleak times ahead?

Mellon to join Ross County or Derby County in January.
Struggling Shrewsbury re-call Bloxham to strengthen themselves.
Mayor off in January (for decent money, hopefully)
McKiernan goes to Ross County at the end of the season, with us not receiving any compensation as, although under 24 years old, it is an 'international' transfer.

Bond group taken in by a 15yr old kid, who has FIFA on his Play Station, and convinces them he has £100 million to spend on buying Morecambe FC.

Anyone got any positive straws to clutch?

The only thing I can think of Keith is that we at least have a decent number of points already to stop us dropping out of this league :roll:
black morse

Postby vvm » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:40 am

black morse wrote:Am I right that Mayor is the only player with a contract continuing beyond the end of the season?

You are correct. It's possible that we have options to extend on some that have not been made public but that's just guesswork from myself.

Mayor's agent also alluded on twitter to the fact they were trying to engineer a move away for Mayor in the summer so I don't expect him to be with us past this season.
vvm

Postby Old Man Kensey » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:41 am

Angler1 wrote:If we've received any compensation due to Derek leaving , then that money should ve used to get Coleman from Accrington..

I'd love to see John Coleman back at Morecambe, one of my childhood heroes and a great record as a manager.

However I can't see what would be in it for him, given the current ownership mess we are in. I'm sure he will get better offers from more stable clubs, if he was to leave Accrington.
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby black morse » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:42 am

marky No.1 wrote:

Yep, as Derek said, it's a rebuild job every 6 months

This one may be the biggest rebuild the club has known.
black morse

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:50 am

Old Man Kensey wrote:No one can come in a create their side with no money to spend.
It was to a very different background when we replaced Jim.

I think we're in a much better position than when Jim left. Despite the ongoing ownership nonsense, the club is debt free and reasonably stable. We're in a decent position in the league. If there is some compensation money to spend, we could be attractive to a few managers. We're also not a 'sacking club', so someone with a five-year plan, may actually get five years (or, until they get an offer from the Scottish Premier League if they are BS merchants like Robinson?)

Angler1 wrote:If we've received any compensation due to Derek leaving , then that money should ve used to get Coleman from Accrington..

Definitely not for me. John would be available without compensation at the end of the season. I'd rather use it to [for example] offer McKiernan & Bedeau improved contracts, to keep them here for next season. Put a manager in until the end of the season, then, if they are doing a good job, keep them, if not, Coleman is available for free.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Old Man Kensey » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:57 am

Keith wrote:
Old Man Kensey wrote:No one can come in a create their side with no money to spend.
It was to a very different background when we replaced Jim.

I think we're in a much better position than when Jim left. Despite the ongoing ownership nonsense, the club is debt free and reasonably stable. We're in a decent position in the league. If there is some compensation money to spend, we could be attractive to a few managers. We're also not a 'sacking club', so someone with a five-year plan, may actually get five years (or, until they get an offer from the Scottish Premier League if they are BS merchants like Robinson?)

Definitely not for me. John would be available without compensation at the end of the season. I'd rather use it to [for example] offer McKiernan & Bedeau improved contracts, to keep them here for next season. Put a manager in until the end of the season, then, if they are doing a good job, keep them, if not, Coleman is available for free.

5 Year plan! We don't even have a 5 month plan :D
Old Man Kensey

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:04 pm

I have a feeling that the board will think outside the box. They will find someone who nobody on here has mentioned just as they did when appointing Derek and Robinson. Nobody had either of them on their radar before they came.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby KenH » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:04 pm

I'd rather it was saved to be spent in the transfer window to give a new manager (or caretaker managers of John, Barry and head coach) some money to bring in new players in January.

If we spend it on compo for Coleman (or another manager under contract), there'll be less money for players in January and we can effectively kiss goodbye to this season as it will just dribble away and, maybe even, we could end up back in the relegation zone.

Our team may be doing well, but we've no leeway as the subs aren't up to standard. If we lose a couple of the loan players in January, we're doomed as I can't see us getting adequate replacements for Mellon, King, nor Bloxham if any of them are recalled.
KenH

Postby BHmfc » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:06 pm

GUTTED.....We have just lost one of the best managers in league two, just look at his league two record, it speaks for itself.. Going forward, we have owners who don't want to own us, there are no signs of any potential buyers and we have a first team built around young loanees who we could lose if their parent clubs decide to call them back. Yes, there are loads of managers currently without a club but they tend to be out of work for one reason, they are not very good. As for our small but vocal minority who didn't want Derek to stay at the club in the summer, be careful what you wish for. PS, it would have to be John Coleman for me !!!!
BHmfc

Postby Andy D » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:12 pm

Shit happens, at least the new incoming manager as a decent group of Lads at the top half of the table.
Andy D

Postby redrobo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:37 pm

Think it best if we just hold on with 'who is next' until our BoD confirm one way or another about the situation.

We all know and accept that one day DA will leave that's the very nature of the business he's in.

Until we hear what's what then any talk on SVs is pure speculation.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I think my post of yesterday concerning the sale or our club has even more significance now.....
redrobo

Postby Old Man Kensey » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:38 pm

redrobo wrote:Think it best if we just hold on with 'who is next' until our BoD confirm one way or another about the situation.

We all know and accept that one day DA will leave that's the very nature of the business he's in.

Until we hear what's what then any talk on SVs is pure speculation.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I think my post of yesterday concerning the sale or our club has even more significance now.....

It is has been announced by the club...
Old Man Kensey

Postby Freez » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:39 pm

Managers leaving is to be expected, especially if they are doing well, look at Oxford last week, it’s part and parcel of football, and can’t blame Derek for wanting another go in the SPL with his past successes.
It’s an opportunity for someone else, we have a small but settled squad until Jan at least and are just outside the play offs.
Ownership issue has been on the table since Robbo, so nothing new there.
Just hope we don’t appoint one of the usual suspects doing the managerial merry go round, would love to see a young and vibrant coach/ manager make his mark.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby redrobo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:42 pm

Sad but not totally unexpected.

Just feel the stagnation with the sale of our club has had a significant contribution to DA's departure.

Whoever takes over will face the same problems as DA about finances...so cheers Jason.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm with Freez about appointing a young and vibrant coach / manager.

Let's NOT appoint someone who has been on the managerial roundabout and been kicked off too many times.

Wonder if first team coach Ged Brannon will throw his hat into the ring...... :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by redrobo on Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrobo

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:52 pm

Freez wrote:Just hope we don’t appoint one of the usual suspects doing the managerial merry go round.

Had to giggle at that, we had one on the merry go round and then the waltzer, he even fell off and we helped him back on again.
Our Club for the last 5 years have experienced the circus and the fairground
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:20 pm

redrobo wrote:Until we hear what's what then any talk on SVs is pure speculation.

Obviously, but the lack of feedback from the club means we have to speculate, when did we last hear ANYTHING about the club ownership? If we just go on what the club tell us, Sarbjot Johal is still leading the way to buy the club! And speculation is what fans do.

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I have a feeling that the board will think outside the box. They will find someone who nobody on here has mentioned just as they did when appointing Derek and Robinson. Nobody had either of them on their radar before they came.

Quite possibly. But, please, not Joey Barton.

Old Man Kensey wrote:5 Year plan! We don't even have a 5 month plan :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:38 pm

I don't want our BoD to rush into any appointment and if need be let Ged, John and Baz run things until the summer but in the meantime do their homework and find who in their opinion is the ideal fit for our club in its current financial position.

No knee jerk reaction please....

According to EFL2 news they have suggested 3 out of work manager worth considering ( :?: :?: :?: )

Joey Barton.... no...no...no :roll: Dave Artell.... :( and Paul Hurst...... :o
Last edited by redrobo on Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:46 pm

Keith wrote:
redrobo wrote:Until we hear what's what then any talk on SVs is pure speculation.

Obviously, but the lack of feedback from the club means we have to speculate, when did we last hear ANYTHING about the club ownership? If we just go on what the club tell us, Sarbjot Johal is still leading the way to buy the club! And speculation is what fans do.

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I have a feeling that the board will think outside the box. They will find someone who nobody on here has mentioned just as they did when appointing Derek and Robinson. Nobody had either of them on their radar before they came.

Quite possibly. But, please, not Joey Barton.

Old Man Kensey wrote:5 Year plan! We don't even have a 5 month plan :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definitely NOT Joey Barton !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby ShrimpSandwich » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:53 pm

Freez wrote:Managers leaving is to be expected, especially if they are doing well, look at Oxford last week, it’s part and parcel of football, and can’t blame Derek for wanting another go in the SPL with his past successes.
It’s an opportunity for someone else, we have a small but settled squad until Jan at least and are just outside the play offs.
Ownership issue has been on the table since Robbo, so nothing new there.
Just hope we don’t appoint one of the usual suspects doing the managerial merry go round, would love to see a young and vibrant coach/ manager make his mark.

Fully agree, 1 door closes, another one opens ..
ShrimpSandwich

Postby Billy bodger » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:01 pm

Gone and that’s a disappointment to put it mildly, but understandable. Ross County manager sacked and probably more money all round, that’s where I’ve heard he’s going. He’s been seen up there a few times lately. How long could anyone expect him to stay if a good offer comes in, probably absolutely sick to the back teeth of the predicament Morecambe are in. I May be wrong but this means no sale on the horizon, no more money and we are stuck in a vortex. Who ever comes in takes over Derek’s assembled squad, who else makes a good job of situations like Morecambe’s? because that’s what we need. Agree with others a cheeky nibble at the Accrington manager. How about just letting Derek ‘s backroom staff step up and continue the good work that has been going on, they understand the players and how we have got ourselves into a good position. What ever happens I hope it doesn’t set us backwards.
Billy bodger

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:05 pm

Billy bodger wrote:How about just letting Derek ‘s backroom staff step up and continue the good work that has been going on, they understand the players and how we have got ourselves into a good position.

What happens if he wants to poach them as well ? That's the worry.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby redrobo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:30 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:
Billy bodger wrote:How about just letting Derek ‘s backroom staff step up and continue the good work that has been going on, they understand the players and how we have got ourselves into a good position.

What happens if he wants to poach them as well ? That's the worry.

It's a hell of a commute to Ross County from Merseyside... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interestingly a poster on the Accy forum has suggested GB as an ideal replacement and they admired his work with their youth teams.....which could be a plus point in his favour.
redrobo

Postby Billy bodger » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:37 pm

Dave Artell ex Crew boss and a ex Morecambe Player in the running it being whispered.
Billy bodger

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion