Derek on the move, official

Re: Derek on the move, official

Postby John L » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:44 pm

shrimpsontoast wrote:Who originally coined this term “little old morecambe”?

Wasn't it Jimbo?
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:49 pm

shrimpsontoast wrote:Who originally coined this term “little old morecambe”? It doesn’t really make much sense to me in a world where football fans call new clubs “plastic” and all “proper” clubs are expected to have a long history. Do we wish we were “big plastic morecambe”? I remember Derek trotting it out in an interview when we first started winning under him. It may even have been after the opening game where we beat Cheltenham away in the league two promotion season. I distinctly remember that (to his great credit) he came across as being very embarrassed by the phrase, as if someone had told him to say it and he’d very reluctantly agreed.

The attitude was very much little old Morecambe during the latter years of Jims reign once PMG pulled the plug. Some say that attitude dates back to the Unibond days when some didn't want to aim for the conference.
BerlinWaller

Postby Redalert1970 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:48 pm

Derek did well for us but not for a 3rd time NOOOOO

We have a manager called Ged Brennan

Lets get behind Ged and his team see what happens
Redalert1970

Postby deadorred70 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 am

I'm with you on that Redalert, let Ged get on with it.
deadorred70

Postby John L » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:54 am

Yes, after all, I think Derek could probably benefit from a lie down in a dark room for a while.
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:06 am

There'll be a vacancy at Blackburn Rovers later today.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:27 pm

John L wrote:
shrimpsontoast wrote:Who originally coined this term “little old morecambe”?

Wasn't it Jimbo?

I thought it was Robinson (Yes sir I can Boogie , but I need Steve Robinson) who mentioned getting rid of the "Little Old Morecambe" tag.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:28 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Derek is the only person at Morecambe FC I have heard with an optimistic vision of what could be. Aim for the Championship , new stand down the open carwash side etc etc.

Maybe , although this could be jumping the gun , if John McMahon is punished by the EFL and has to stand down , maybe Derek back as "Director of football" , Ged as head coach and our new coach promoted to assistant manager.

Certainly an option BUT doubt we could afford such a position although a Director of Football overseas ALL football in a club...from early age groups through the Academy right up to first team.

I wouldn't move GB from his current position as First Team Manager but to have DA as an advisor would benefit GB and our club long term and give DA a position on our BoDs.

Wont happen of course..... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:39 pm

redrobo wrote:Wont happen of course..... :?: :?: :?:

And nor should it !!!!!!!

Has shit on his own doorstep twice now.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Shrimp Girl » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:40 pm

Derek wouldn't come back in any capacity while the ownership isn't settled, that's surely why he was tempted away by Ross County in the first place. As noted earlier, he's one of those that wants total control and that attitude can be a blessing and a curse. He let the ownership issues get to him - understandable but what could he do about it? Ged on the other hand says he wants to focus on what he can control - the football - and that's what we need from a manager right now.
Shrimp Girl

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:57 pm

Shrimp Girl wrote:Derek wouldn't come back in any capacity while the ownership isn't settled, that's surely why he was tempted away by Ross County in the first place. As noted earlier, he's one of those that wants total control and that attitude can be a blessing and a curse. He let the ownership issues get to him - understandable but what could he do about it? Ged on the other hand says he wants to focus on what he can control - the football - and that's what we need from a manager right now.

It's just that Derek won games of football
BerlinWaller

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:23 pm

I don't think the King will be in a rush to return to management , certainly before the season end.

A lot will depend on how our final 18 games go , we haven't won a home match for some time and those are the games 2,500 season ticket holders watch. It's very nice winning away for 130 or 200 fans but home matches are our bread and butter.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Andy D » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:19 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I don't think the King will be in a rush to return to management , certainly before the season end.

A lot will depend on how our final 18 games go , we haven't won a home match for some time and those are the games 2,500 season ticket holders watch. It's very nice winning away for 130 or 200 fans but home matches are our bread and butter.

Home form is massive, it's that what let Jim Bentley down, we always played our best football away from home under Jim, but poor home form effected crowd figures and revenue.
Andy D

Postby vvm » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:37 pm

Personally a big fan of Derek but can't see any way he comes back a third time, at least not anytime soon. He did a lot for us and ultimately I don't begrudge him leaving either time but we have to move on now.

I do like the idea of him being in a role of director of football but would that undermine Ged a bit? Probably would and I don't think he deserves that.

Feel like we're the only club that appreciates Derek though and I hope our paths cross again one day.
vvm

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:16 pm

Andy D wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:I don't think the King will be in a rush to return to management , certainly before the season end.

Home form is massive, it's that what let Jim Bentley down, we always played our best football away from home under Jim, but poor home form effected crowd figures and revenue.
seeing the pre match interview it looks like Ged is singing from the same book as JB, hard to beat fighting for their lives etc.I hope he isn't setting us up not too lose tomorrow. :(
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby shrimpsontoast » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:35 pm

No result other than a win is acceptable tomorrow against a club in the bottom two.
shrimpsontoast

Postby glagys » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:21 am

seeing the pre match interview it looks like Ged is singing from the same book as JB, hard to beat fighting for their lives etc.I hope he isn't setting us up not too lose tomorrow. :(

Yep I too think that
Just waiting for the “ never too high never too low “ speech
Or the “dust ourselves off and go again “
glagys

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:29 am

glagys wrote:

Yep I too think that
Just waiting for the “ never too high never too low “ speech
Or the “dust ourselves off and go again “

And some more JB sayings :-

"I told them where they can hurt us"

"We were plugging away"
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:31 am

shrimpsontoast wrote:No result other than a win is acceptable tomorrow against a club in the bottom two.

Sutton have the worst away record in EFL2.

Just 1 win.

Score on average less than 1 goal a game away from home.

Concede on average more than 2 goals a game away from home.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Billy bodger » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:44 am

We never got the points you would have thought we were on paper going to get, time and again we dropped too many points in these fixtures. That cost us last year and here we are a league down. We will not rise up the league dropping points against the likes of Sutton, for me it has to be about attitude and application. Don’t get dragged into their game like we did against Colchester. Impose our selves on them from the start. We need a moral boosting HOME victory.
Billy bodger

Previous

Return to General Discussion