O/T Electric mobility scooters

O/T Electric mobility scooters

Postby Christies Child » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm

A 91 year old man driving an electric mobility scooter has been rescued by a well meaning motorist from the busy 6 lane A27 when the elderly gent took the wrong turning and found himself on the A27 and unable to get off.

Police said the scooter should have had a number plate and tax disc before it could be used on main roads. 'But this gentleman was obviously confused and it is unlikely that we will be taken any further action'.

I've seen quite a lot of these scooters on main roads over the last few years and can't recall any having number plates. If you have an elderly relative who has one of these scooters might be worth checking that they have a number plate and tax disc.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Electric mobility scooters

Postby CASS » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 pm

http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Christies Child » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:58 pm

CASS, I'm sure you've seen the elderly lady on her scooter with the telescopic aerial and the flashing light in the Milnthorpe area. Couldn't be sure but I don't think she has number plates.

I wonder how many of these scooters actually have the required plates and tax discs. My mums friend most certainly doesn't.

Whilst a brilliant concept for the elderly to be more independant, I really do worry that one day there's going to be a very serious accident involving one of these scooters and a car / lorry.
Christies Child

Postby CASS » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:04 pm

Christies Child wrote:CASS, I'm sure you've seen the elderly lady on her scooter with the telescopic aerial and the flashing light in the Milnthorpe area. Couldn't be sure but I don't think she has number plates.

I wonder how many of these scooters actually have the required plates and tax discs. My mums friend most certainly doesn't.

Whilst a brilliant concept for the elderly to be more independant, I really do worry that one day there's going to be a very serious accident involving one of these scooters and a car / lorry.

Seen Her !!! she lives across from us...No number plate and No road sense ...She got that when
she decided she would pack up driving a car. What prompted her to give up driving ? She drove off the front of Bob Parrats car park and the car,a new one was left a rocking..Bloody woman
is dangerous. :x
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby marky » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:50 pm

If I had my way those things would be banned. Thankfully no one has one of the damned contraptions where I live now but there were a few of em where I used to live and they were lethal! There already have been a few serious accidents involving scooters and the Tyne & Wear Metro, CC, which has resulted in a total ban from the system.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Personally I wouldn't ban them, but I do think that they need to be regulated as to where they can be used and that the Police should enforce the present law.

You never know, a few of us older farts may be using one before out time is through.

Now there's a thought, what provision has the new stadium made for such 'contraptions'......???????

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:12 am

How bored are you guys!!!!!
morecambe mick

Postby Christies Child » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:56 am

morecambe mick wrote:How bored are you guys!!!!!

Compared with some of my usual crap :oops: :oops: :oops: i thought this a pretty good O/T topic....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:00 pm

marky wrote:If I had my way those things would be banned. Thankfully no one has one of the damned contraptions where I live now but there were a few of em where I used to live and they were lethal! There already have been a few serious accidents involving scooters and the Tyne & Wear Metro, CC, which has resulted in a total ban from the system.

Yeah, people with disabilities should just stay at home out of sight and out of my way! How dare disabled people go shopping and stuff???
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Keith, I wasn't saying that but they are dangerous, whether they be on footpaths or roads. Having nearly been 'run over' by a number of users of them, I'm afraid I hate them. If they are to remain, users should have to take a test in as much depth as car drivers.

Incidentally, they were banned on the metro because one idiot drove on and decided not to stop and crashed through the doors on the other side and onto the tracks. Another idiot went down a ramp onto a platform and decided not to stop and fell onto the tracks (in fact, I think that happened twice). Electric wheelchairs haven't been banned, btw (and nor should they).

Oh, and please don't use 'disability' when what you mean is physical disability. Mental disabilities can be just as debilitating.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:40 pm

Many mobility scooter riders are plain lazy and too bone idle to walk.
Plain Peter

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:43 pm

Peter wrote:Many mobility scooter riders are plain lazy and too bone idle to walk.

:o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Return to General Discussion