Expectation.....

Expectation.....

Postby Freez » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:01 pm

It isn't that long ago since we played Accy and were hopeless, however we have performed superbly recently, are we expecting to roll over Wycombe easily?

Injuries to key players, the transfer embargo and releasing bit part players all seemed to weaken our resolve, yet the re-emergence of Twissy as a force up front, Wayun back from injury looking up for it, Harry Gunter grabbing his chance and Wainer being posessed by the ghost of Cainy have contributed to some battling performances and some unexpected results.

So Saturday's game is a good yard stick for us. Wycombe have scored less than us, but have conceded considerably less than everyone in the division.
We have proved once again that we are capable of competing in the league, mostly with the players that were available in our Conference days, so for me, I would be happy to finish anywhere in mid table.

Should we beat Wycombe there will be those, naturally, who will be thinking of a run to sneak us into the play-offs, if we lose, there will be others who will argue that we have ruined our chances.
Whatever happens, we have been more entertaining and resilient since Xmas, it's almost a reverse of last season where we played all the football before the New Year, this season we have, despite the various setbacks, emerged in 09 as a better team to watch.

It's a pity that the crowds appear to have deserted us as the last few home games have been really enjoyable, both results wise and as a spectacle.

Just remember that supporting The Shrimps is never predictable. As soon as you think " We are crap and will be lucky to survive" we pull out a superb performance against supposedly bigger and better opposition. The same is true now though, a great run of results have catapulted us up the table to the heady heights of 11th, if we beat Wycombe, you can expect a right bag of shite at Don Valley next Tuesday, surely?

We deserve to be in the League, despite the struggle, I think we are coming to terms as a club, as a board, as fans, with just what it entails. We are making progress, and finally this season I am starting to enjoy the ride.

Pride is back, if the players keep competing and giving of their all, I for one will be happy to finish 11th and feel like we BELONG!

Up the Shrimps.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Re: Expectation.....

Postby John L » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Well said, that man! Frizz for mayor! 8-)
John L

Postby cultured » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 pm

If we get 9 points out of 12 out of the next 4 games, I will be hanging the bunting out again and dreaming of Wembley.

Doesn't matter if we don't though does it, so long as we're here we're happy!
cultured

Postby shrimper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Freez wrote:It isn't that long ago since we played Accy and were hopeless, however we have performed superbly recently, are we expecting to roll over Wycombe easily?

Should we beat Wycombe there will be those, naturally, who will be thinking of a run to sneak us into the play-offs, if we lose, there will be others who will argue that we have ruined our chances.

Just remember that supporting The Shrimps is never predictable. As soon as you think " We are crap and will be lucky to survive" we pull out a superb performance against supposedly bigger and better opposition. The same is true now though, a great run of results have catapulted us up the table to the heady heights of 11th, if we beat Wycombe, you can expect a right bag of shite at Don Valley next Tuesday, surely?

Good post. I have always thought that the best way to support Morecambe is not to have any 'expectations' at all.

Hope, ambition, interest yes - but not 'expectation'.

Also not to read too much into one result - or one little flurry of results - but to look at the longer term trend.

With this in mind I wouldn't be surprised if we have a rocky run to the end of the season. The team has put in a massive amount of effort in recent weeks and it may well catch up on them.

As you say - mid-table would be a fantastic result for us IMO.

But I still can't help having a secret look up the table and working out what 'may' be.

:D
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby halfwayliner » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:22 pm

We are capable of getting to the play-offs and then its a lottery,but whatever happens we will have improved as a team and are getting harder to beat.
halfwayliner

Postby Farnsfield Shrimp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 pm

Adversity in terms of fit players has seemed to galvanise the team. Players who are coming back from injury who were previously first choice are certainly going to have a job getting in.
Do u change a winning team?
Farnsfield Shrimp

Postby Posh » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Freez wrote: Injuries to key players, the transfer embargo and releasing bit part players all seemed to weaken our resolve

I think it could be looked at the other way. The embargo made the management realise that there was nothing we could do to change our own destiny other than to fight back using what we had and as a team. That made everyone stand up and be counted.

I don't think we're any weaker as a squad for not having a homesick Scot, a young lad with injury woes and a midfielder with a confidence crisis hanging over him around. I did though think we'd struggling without Rene, Stanners and Fraser yet (as you've said) Drummy has stepped up a gear, Garry Hunter hasn't played much this season so has bags of energy and Twissy is reminding everyone that play him in the right position and he can do the business. As has been said also Wayne has come back from Barrow with a new zest for life and I think Wainers feels more settled (after moving lock, stock and kids to the area) and that's come into his play with some exceptional performances of the kind that made him player of the season a few years ago at Darlo.

Freez wrote:the re-emergence of Twissy as a force up front, Wayun back from injury looking up for it, Harry Gunter grabbing his chance and Wainer being posessed by the ghost of Cainy have contributed to some battling performances and some unexpected results....We have proved once again that we are capable of competing in the league, mostly with the players that were available in our Conference days, so for me, I would be happy to finish anywhere in mid table.

I think one person who I think will have taken the most from this season is Sammy. At the start of the season he imposed his new signings with limited success and cast out a few others. I don't think we've looked like a team most of the season and it showed. Now we do and you can sense players who really want to work for each other. Sammy's been fundamental to that but I hope he's realised the chemistry both lucky (that some players didn't find other teams) and planned (the 5-3-2 and his kiss and make up with Stanners et al) that got us here.

Freez wrote:We deserve to be in the League, despite the struggle, I think we are coming to terms as a club, as a board, as fans, with just what it entails. We are making progress, and finally this season I am starting to enjoy the ride. Pride is back, if the players keep competing and giving of their all, I for one will be happy to finish 11th and feel like we BELONG!

I really enjoyed Rochdale. We weren't the best side on the pitch but we were a joy to watch because we battled, worked hard for each other and never gave up. It was what I know and love about Morecambe FC.

Happy days indeed!
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby George Dawes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:07 pm

i only want us to be playing league football when we get our new ground, as am confident it will create more support and bigger gates
George Dawes

Postby slackAlice » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Freez
It isn't that long ago since we played Accy and were hopeless, however we have performed superbly recently, are we expecting to roll over Wycombe easily?

You can't help but think that the 'Accy game' was a water-shed or a turning point. I think Sammy maybe read the riot act or kicked some ass , whatever he did its certainly had a dramatic effect. The Accy game was possibly the worst I'd seen Morecambe play since joining the League ; only 'surpassed' by Grimsby last season at home 0-4.

The spirit and confidence in the team must be pretty high at the moment and there in a terrific run of form. I felt elated coming away from the Rochdale game OK it was only 1-1 but its the effort and never-say-die attitude that makes you go to matches ; and thats what I personally expect. I'd be pleased if we finished roughly where we are now - but who knows what can be achieved now ?

I personally don't hold with the stance that its only Morecambe and we should be more than grateful that we're still in the League and neither would the players / manager and the majority of fans. If the attitude and effort is there then it doesn't matter if your against Bradford or Barnet, you'll always run any team close. It doesn't matter if there an established team with more money , bigger ground , more fans - there all beatable and we have proved that much.
slackAlice

Postby bigreddog » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:58 pm

seems mute to say but I agree with freez, posh and shrimper. I got to the point quite some time back that if I turned up to a game "expecting" to win, we duly got turned over (2-0 at Alty anyone?) but then went to Wembley having seen us get turned over every time by Exeter and hoping but not expecting and well my dreams came true. We can talk all night about signings and tactics and a whole bunch of other stuff. Ultimately it comes down to the work ethic and character of the management team and the players and what I've seen over the last few years is that Morecambe FC under Sammy is all about character. I expect nothing for the rest of the season, we'll win some and we wont win some others. They've already delivered my dreams and those of generations of supporters that came before me who would have sacrificed everything to have that moment at wembley along with us. As far as I'm concerned I expect nothing, I hope eternaly and my wish is for us is to unveil our new stadium, with as financially sound a club as you can find anywhere, a football league club, with a capacity crowd watching league 2 (or 1 if you like) Morecambe playing our manager's former club.(no I don't mean city but they would do if they sign Kaka). Partly because I'm a dreamer and partly because the thing on my shirt over my heart isn't a club badge it's a family crest and always will be.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:19 pm

aree we are a very unpredictable team if you come to christie park expecting to win every game you will go away dissapoined but if you come to support Morecambe FC and too enjoy it the good runs of form and maybe the chane of the play-offs will come as a bonus
heysham_mfc

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 pm

I think one person who I think will have taken the most from this season is Sammy. At the start of the season he imposed his new signings with limited success and cast out a few others. I don't think we've looked like a team most of the season and it showed. Now we do and you can sense players who really want to work for each other. Sammy's been fundamental to that but I hope he's realised the chemistry both lucky (that some players didn't find other teams) and planned (the 5-3-2 and his kiss and make up with Stanners et al) that got us here.

Agreed at te start of the season the team if you can call it that was a shambles now with most of the conference team playing we seem to have the spirit like we did last season.

Also does anyone think it has happened since Carr and Mcann left. Maybe the other players thought blimey if were not careful even if we do have over a year left on our contract we could be shown the door here and it was a kick up the backside for the whole team.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:02 pm

slackAlice wrote:Freez

You can't help but think that the 'Accy game' was a water-shed or a turning point. I think Sammy maybe read the riot act or kicked some ass , whatever he did its certainly had a dramatic effect. The Accy game was possibly the worst I'd seen Morecambe play since joining the League ; only 'surpassed' by Grimsby last season at home 0-4.

Nah, the result and performance was disappointing at Stanley, but it was also a complete over reaction by the supporters IMO. We'd been improving up to that point and that display was a one off and as such I don't think it was a turning point (I know where going over old ground Slack :D ).

Rather meaningless I know (the season runs from late August up until May), but just to back up my point (and really the whole point of my post as I've been looking for a site all day where you can customise league tables with variable date ranges), If you look at the league table from the start of November up to this point in the season we would actually be fourth pushing for the automatics (by pushing I mean two points from top). A fantastic turn around by Sammy, for which he must take lots of the plaudits.

Where is Simply Ned?

Good post by the way Freez.
RedRedWine1

Postby broadwayshrimp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:11 am

I think you've all got it wrong. I think Ned's posts are the real reason for our improvement. They have obviously been read by the management and players and taken on board with gusto. The man's a natural and I think he should be knighted for his services to Morecambe Football Club. Arise Sir Ned. ;)
broadwayshrimp

Postby Gnasher » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:34 am

The man's a natural and I think he should be knighted for his services to Morecambe Football Club. Arise Sir Ned.

I can think of better things to do with a sword near Ned's neck :lol: :lol:
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby campdave » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:48 am

RedRedWine wrote:Rather meaningless I know (the season runs from late August up until May), but just to back up my point (and really the whole point of my post as I've been looking for a site all day where you can customise league tables with variable date ranges), If you look at the league table from the start of November up to this point in the season we would actually be fourth pushing for the automatics (by pushing I mean two points from top). A fantastic turn around by Sammy, for which he must take lots of the plaudits.

Where is Simply Ned?

Really? That's interesting. I'd been wondering how we'd fared since the formation change. Just out of interest, what website did you use?
campdave

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:34 am

campdave wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:Rather meaningless I know (the season runs from late August up until May), but just to back up my point (and really the whole point of my post as I've been looking for a site all day where you can customise league tables with variable date ranges), If you look at the league table from the start of November up to this point in the season we would actually be fourth pushing for the automatics (by pushing I mean two points from top). A fantastic turn around by Sammy, for which he must take lots of the plaudits.

Where is Simply Ned?

Really? That's interesting. I'd been wondering how we'd fared since the formation change. Just out of interest, what website did you use?

Yep, I was quite shocked myslef. I thought we'd be up there, but not that close to the top.

Statto.com: League Two Custom Table

Pretty good site really, once I found it I was playing around with it for quite a while. Sort of like the old confguide, except with probably an even larger database.

You'll have to put in your own dates. I used 1st November onwards. Interesting indeed.
RedRedWine1

Postby campdave » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:41 am

RedRedWine wrote:
Yep, I was quite shocked myslef. I thought we'd be up there, but not that close to the top.

Statto.com: League Two Custom Table

Pretty good site really, once I found it I was playing around with it for quite a while. Sort of like the old confguide, except with probably an even larger database.

You'll have to put in your own dates. I used 1st November onwards. Interesting indeed.

Super, thanks for that.
campdave

Postby shrimper » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 am

slackAlice wrote: I personally don't hold with the stance that its only Morecambe and we should be more than grateful that we're still in the League and neither would the players / manager and the majority of fans. If the attitude and effort is there then it doesn't matter if your against Bradford or Barnet, you'll always run any team close. It doesn't matter if there an established team with more money , bigger ground , more fans - there all beatable and we have proved that much.

Just for clarification - I don't hold with any 'we're lucky to be here so shut up moaning' attitude if people are criticising the team or the manager for one particular poor performance.

If there is anything we should be able to 'expect' it's commitment and 100% effort each game, so when they fall below that then criticism FOR THAT PEFORMANCE - can be justified. Agree with you totally on that.

But the only time I think anyone uses phrases like 'why do you expect us to be doing better?' or 'remember where we were ten years ago' (which I think is the kind of stuff you're getting at) is when people use one poor performance, or a couple, to try to back up comments about our players 'not being good enough for League football', our management team being clueless and far worse than, for example, John Coleman; people 'expecting' us to have beaten certain teams etc.

We can 'expect' commitment and effort. We can't 'expect' a club like Morecambe to be doing better than we are generally (though we can hope).

Subtle but, IMO, significant difference.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:14 pm

RedRedWine wrote:If you look at the league table from the start of November up to this point in the season we would actually be fourth pushing for the automatics

Actually 3rd on points won (the table is ordered by points per game).

The 14 games prior to that we're 23rd on 11 points.

Great stats and pretty to easy to see where the turning points are.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby slackAlice » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:58 pm

shrimper
But the only time I think anyone uses phrases like 'why do you expect us to be doing better?' or 'remember where we were ten years ago' (which I think is the kind of stuff you're getting at) is when people use one poor performance, or a couple, to try to back up comments about our players 'not being good enough for League football', our management team being clueless and far worse than, for example, John Coleman; people 'expecting' us to have beaten certain teams etc.

I don't think there's anything in that 'clarification' that I would disagree with. We are where we deserve to be at present. The other phrase that is often used flippantly and in anger is the " We would struggle in the BSP / Conference with this team" - on a bad day we might but overall assessments , good or bad, should not / cannot be made on one or two games.
'That' game that is just a distant memory now; was I still believe a 'turning point' we had been inconsistent in performances and results up till then. The Bradford [A] 0-4 game I waited to applaud them off because the effort was there to see. But some of the home performances had been 'below par' no more , no less than that. This Saturday's game will be interesting - we're high on confidence against a top team - I for one can't wait.

The 'management team' Sammy & Mark are key of course key to this turnaround and their achievements thus far are remarkable ; the reaction by Sammy after 'that' game was I thought reassuring - he was embarrased , shocked , worried etc. I don't know what methods he applies to squeeze the best out of the players but its highly effective and their contribution will only be truly appreciated in future years. The management and of course all the players have not allowed 'that' game to affect them - it was probably a good time for it to happen - they've Won 4 & Drawn 3 since then against decent opposition in most cases.
slackAlice

Return to General Discussion