Grimsby 2 - 3 Morecambe - FULLTIME

Re: Grimsby 2 - 3 Morecambe - FULLTIME

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:01 pm

pompeyred wrote:Top half now and just 8 points off the play-offs although that is having played more games. 22 points above the relegation zone. And 15 points from the last 7 games (F13 A6). It sounds like a really good gutsy performance and this is a brilliant run 'we' are on. Surely play-offs a serious possiblility now?!?

Arr but only 9 off the Shrews in 5th and having played the same ;)
nobbyshrimp

Postby Abbo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:02 pm

Brilliant result, well done lads
Abbo

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Get in. Can't wait for Saturday against a top of the table team. Hopefully keep the roll going!
The season is still alive :D
Burnley Shrimp

Postby parkyboy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Brilliant comeback , Brilliant result ,BRILLIANT TEAM DISPLAY, What chance 2,500 on saturday
parkyboy

Postby George Dawes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 pm

is it coincidence?, but Morecambe seem a different team since Twiss as been back?
George Dawes

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:07 pm

DawZi wrote:is it coincidence?, but Morecambe seem a different team since Twiss as been back?

Was just thinking that and Artell comments on it in this weeks Visitor, also helps that we are playing him through the middle. It seems him and wainwright have really come into their own recently.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 pm

fantastic come back get in!
FOOTBALL LEAUGE AND WERE AVIN A LAUGH!!!
heysham_mfc

Postby matty » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Great comeback - well done lads.

Hopefully this run of form will put a few on for Saturdays game.
Its all in the hips.
matty

Postby Vinny » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 pm

Just got back .... to my computer, after visitors called .... I left the game with us getting back into it at 2 -1 and Duffy unvailed ........

As I came back to look at the score I was thinking, now come on, did we get back to 2 - 2 ? (daren't think of 2 - 3!) ........ 2 - 3!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! YESSSSSSSSS!!!!! FANTASTIC STUFF! And up to 11th! I'll have to turn my back on the game more often :roll:

Well done Sammy and the lads and to the "2-3" fans that witnessed it - what a tale they have to tell!!!
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby Shrimpsscene » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:39 pm

unbelievable great nite
Shrimpsscene

Postby ezz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 pm

Did Duffy play well??? Any imput on the goals?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Shrimpsscene » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 pm

got booked one or two good passes no real influence on the goals but id say a good bit of experience for him
Shrimpsscene

Postby Curly » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:51 pm

Top Stuff!!!!!!
Well done lads, great run at the mo, Hunter doesn't score many-but when he does!!!!!!

parkyboy wrote:Brilliant comeback , Brilliant result ,BRILLIANT TEAM DISPLAY, What chance 2,500 on saturday

I'd not be surprised at that ;)

Bare bum wrote:Dontcha just love pawing over sites like this on runs like this

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/formGuide.jsp?comp=4

Dontcha just love seeing chester at the bottom :!: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:28 am

Just got back. A strangely entertaining game. I can't see Grimsby going down. Their forwards attack well (or at least, very quickly). Their defence defend... really badly!

We were very poor in the first half, struggling to string a few passes together and tackling without conviction. Grimsby deservedly went in front after a very soft pass from Drummie to no-one in particular was picked up by Grimsby in the midfield. They again attacked with pace and we again left Roche entirely unprotected. I say "again" because they had a dry run of their goal only a couple of minutes earlier, only the first time, they hit the post.

I have no idea why the Grimsby fans who were directly next to the red card incident were booing the ref! Obviously "you don't know what you're doing" ringing out from the rest of their fans could be put down to partisanship, but surely anyone with any understanding of the game knows that a two footed lunge is dangerous and will result in a red card. Taking the ball is irrelevant if you also take the man.

So down to ten men we obviously... carried on as before... dreadfully! Only by now we thought that we should be doing better. When I say "we", I mean the 24(ish) Morecambe fans because Sammy clearly felt we were doing okay and leaving things the same was the best thing to (not) do.

So when they got their second... you really had to say they deserved it! Yup, "we've only got ten men" as their second was scored could only really be answered by "yes, but we're shit". 2-0 down and 'they've only got ten men' was at last the signal for a change. Duffy on, 4-4-2 at last and we started to claw our way back in to the game. The Great Escape was being chanted by the non-Man Utd Grimsby fans at the far end. That was cut short following a lovely cross and Twissy met the ball with a firm header. A 'strong leading arm' would have been reason to rule that out for many refs, although to be fair, he was consistent in not blowing for 'a bit of a tussle', but mine wasn't the only pair of eyes to look to the ref to see what he decision was. 2-1 and perhaps...

By now, only one team was likely to score again... but they fluffed their chance to go 3-1 up! Some how Grimsby had got us 'battling' for every ball rather than using our extra man and space. Fortunately, we got back to playing the ball around just in time. I'm delighted O'Carroll got a goal for his rare start but if you were a Grimsby fan, you'd really feel that it was a soft one to concede. A few chances to clear were wasted before the ball pinballed out to the lad who struck a pretty tame shot that some how squirmed past everyone. 2-2 and something we'd not really expected 30 minutes earlier.

At last, we really began to click. More pressure... could we snatch all three points? Ooh, it was almost getting exciting! A series of corners that led to the ball coming out to Gary Hunter about 25 yards out. You could see from his body language he was going to volley this one...

...and how!!! Sweet, hard, fast, accurate... straight in to the top corner!!! We went wild, they went home! A superb goal from a player who had struggled to make any impact on the game (not that he was the only one). 2-3 and only a minute or so, plus time added on.

If I was a fair man, I'd say Grimsby deserved a point towards their not-playing-Conference-football-next-season total, and so I kind of felt sorry for them when we stole the game... for a second or too... before we burst in to we're going up, we're going up, Morecambe's going up...

Back to back away wins in front of a combined total of less than 100 Morecambe fans, which is a shame... Ned, where were you???
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby thegentlegiant » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:53 am

absolutely perfect result...morecambe usually switch off and thats it...by all accounts they kept there heads high and kept at it and the end result another win
thegentlegiant

Postby Gnasher » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:30 am

For those not listening to BBC Humber after the game, newell will be in trouble with the FA. From the top level of the fa down to the match officials he said they don't know what they are doing and finished off by calling them idiots. The grimsby fans phoning in agreed with the red card but it would appear this ref has shown 7 reds this season with 1 of them not long ago to grimsby.

Great goal from Gary.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby BLS BOY » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:06 am

10/10 for this result, i think i can be quite safe in saying we are safe this season!

Who knows, a late push for the play-offs, perhaps!?
"the opposition are only as good as you make them"
BLS BOY

Postby Wednesdayite » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:47 am

Fantastic result guys !...absolutely made up for that one. Comebacks are always the best. Kept flicking over to SSN from the inter/man ure match and by my reckoning its the damn morecambe match that should have been televised!! ;)

well done lads...cracking result 8-)
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Postby halfwayliner » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:04 am

Great result last night, now lets show this league how good we can be, starting with Wycombe on sat.
halfwayliner

Postby John L » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:46 am

Gnasher wrote:For those not listening to BBC Humber after the game, newell will be in trouble with the FA. From the top level of the fa down to the match officials he said they don't know what they are doing and finished off by calling them idiots.

World subscribers can listen to the very same interview at http://www.grimsby-townfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/sub/TVNews/0,,10417~1569235,00.html? in which it seems the pot is calling the kettle black! I'm glad we don't have a manager like this guy!
John L

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Keith wrote:We were very poor in the first half, struggling to string a few passes together and tackling without conviction. Grimsby deservedly went in front after a very soft pass from Drummie to no-one in particular was picked up by Grimsby in the midfield. They again attacked with pace and we again left Roche entirely unprotected. I say "again" because they had a dry run of their goal only a couple of minutes earlier, only the first time, they hit the post.
So down to ten men we obviously... carried on as before... dreadfully!

This is so true Keith the first half was dire and they were running rings round us! Forbes was rampant and they had 3 or 4 clear through the middle chances 1 on 1 but fortunately hit the post or Barry growled at the striker :lol:

. The Great Escape was being chanted by the non-Man Utd Grimsby fans at the far end. That was cut short following a lovely cross and Twissy met the ball with a firm header. A 'strong leading arm' would have been reason to rule that out for many refs

More like a big shove in the back :lol:

. I'm delighted O'Carroll got a goal for his rare start but if you were a Grimsby fan, you'd really feel that it was a soft one to concede.

Before that we thought that Dermuid was the one who should have been replaced as he did'nt take full advantage of his rare start.

At last, we really began to click. More pressure... could we snatch all three points? Ooh, it was almost getting exciting! A series of corners that led to the ball coming out to Gary Hunter about 25 yards out. You could see from his body language he was going to volley this one...

It was better than Box Office! - all the entertainment was at our end as the spectacle unravelled. From whingeing at half time, to ecstacy at the end - O what it is to be a football fan :lol:

Back to back away wins in front of a combined total of less than 100 Morecambe fans, ]

.... and we are the happy ones :D :D

p.s.
"anyone with any understanding of the game knows that a two footed lunge is dangerous and will result in a red card. Taking the ball is irrelevant if you also take the man."

Grimsby see it that way ;)
http://www.sportgrimsby.co.uk/football/ ... hp?ID=7592
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Previous

Return to General Discussion