L1 beckons

L1 beckons

Postby glagys » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:06 am

So the clubs looking to L1 ?
Need a good sort out of playing staff as some of these are only L2 players at best
Good rebuild during the summer,
But it will cost the club, better player cost more
But a few will be shown the door :-
AJ
AK
JS
BP
Are a few I think will go,any others that are out of contract in the summer, but in DA we trust
glagys

Re: L1 beckons

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:48 am

The loan market is the way forward , Accrington have used it wisely and Derek has acquitted himself well with Phillips and Cooney which wont have gone unnoticed at Burnley , who have a fantastic youth development system in place, Derek seems to share the same type of philosophy as Dyche regarding organisation and hard work, it would be great if something could be worked out with Tyson Fury too regarding the facilities at the Mazuma for youth development...
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Redalert1970 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:38 am

Yes we are doing fantastic this year but i think we need to control the excitement ....

We still have some really really tough games to come but we are in the mix thats for sure !!!

Newport, Carlisle, Cheltenham, Salford, Bolton and Bradford still to visit the Mazuma plus visits to Forest Green and also Cambridge

Let`s see where this ride takes us - if it`s to league 1 then that would be certainly amazing
Redalert1970

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:44 am

MPH is spot on, managers will respect DA and trust him with their youth prospects.

Accrington have fallen very lucky with their owner and it looks like we have done the same with James and Charlie. If things are right off and on the pitch then we will give ourselves a chance.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:35 pm

glagys wrote:So the clubs looking to L1 ?
Need a good sort out of playing staff as some of these are only L2 players at best
Good rebuild during the summer,
But it will cost the club, better player cost more
But a few will be shown the door :-
AJ
AK
JS
BP
Are a few I think will go,any others that are out of contract in the summer, but in DA we trust

Most certainly will cost the club in terms of affordability just for contracts etc and that is my main concern about EFL1 next season.

The foundations of our club being financially secure are progressing superbly well despite the lack of income from gate money and hospitality etc thanks to the magnificent work done in attracting more and more sponsorship deals. But to build a strong and financially secure club in EFL1 the foundations have to be in place otherwise it could be a quick return to EFL2 purely in terms of affordability. Any secure structure is built on solid foundations and we are nearly there but another 12 months in EFL2 and with DA given a literally clean piece of paper to build a squad more than capable of promotion by right is in my opinion (others will disagree) the sensible and more secure option than EFL1 next season where the costs will be significantly more than in EFL2. History shows us that a speedy return to EFL2 can be disastrous in terms of survival and NOBODY wants that for our club.

Get the foundations secure and in place for seasons to come. Give DA a budget that will enable him to recruit players more than capable of making an name for themselves in EFL1. Both will cost the club in terms of finance which is why for me we have to get the financial resources of our club correct before we even contemplate EFL1.

Another season in EFL2 where the club get all the elements in place for long term life in EFL1 in line with the recently stated ambitions of our BoD seems to me to be the more sensible and pragmatic route to take.

I'm NOT being negative and like everybody else want to see our club in a higher league BUT the timing has to be right.

However I accept that others (possibly even the majority) will argue otherwise to my cautionary approach.
redrobo

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:02 pm

I wonder if there's a case for Phillips's departure being better for us in the long term?

He'd basically become a cheat code for League Two, and would probably paper over cracks for any League Two side. While the January departure was unexpected (rude), he was never likely to be with us in the long term and would probably have been able to angle himself a move to a promotion chasing L1 club or a Championship club in the summer.

We now have to develop as a side in creating chances without him and not being able to have him occasionally do something silly good. I wasn't able to watch yesterday's game but I was really happy to see if looked like we created a lot of chances, albeit against a side that weren't great. Everyone in the squad (barring Lavelle) is on a one year contract, so it will be interesting to see who can prove themselves to DA as players who are able to help take the club forward.
Little Shrimp

Postby Andy D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:53 pm

realistically now Philips as gone i don't think were good enough to go up automatically.

but finishing in the play off positions we've a great chance, we've come so far in such a short space of time with Derek Adams.
Andy D

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:00 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:I wonder if there's a case for Phillips's departure being better for us in the long term?

He'd basically become a cheat code for League Two, and would probably paper over cracks for any League Two side. While the January departure was unexpected (rude), he was never likely to be with us in the long term and would probably have been able to angle himself a move to a promotion chasing L1 club or a Championship club in the summer.

We now have to develop as a side in creating chances without him and not being able to have him occasionally do something silly good. I wasn't able to watch yesterday's game but I was really happy to see if looked like we created a lot of chances, albeit against a side that weren't great. Everyone in the squad (barring Lavelle) is on a one year contract, so it will be interesting to see who can prove themselves to DA as players who are able to help take the club forward.

Loans are bitter sweet. You get a very good footballer but they are never yours and you can lose them in a blink of an eye. You can't build a squad around them but you do need them to sprinkle a bit of stardust on a squad.

I watch the interviews with the current squad and I always think what a good set of lads we have at the moment They are always smiling and give good accounts of themselves.
BerlinWaller

Postby RapidShrimp » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:36 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Little Shrimp wrote:I wonder if there's a case for Phillips's departure being better for us in the long term?

Loans are bitter sweet. You get a very good footballer but they are never yours and you can lose them in a blink of an eye. You can't build a squad around them but you do need them to sprinkle a bit of stardust on a squad.

I watch the interviews with the current squad and I always think what a good set of lads we have at the moment They are always smiling and give good accounts of themselves

I agree, and instead of the old mucking about and joking, it’s now all about camaraderie and our performances on the pitch, and the whole atmosphere now seems like we mean business!
RapidShrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:00 pm

Didn't Hereford get promoted with virtually a team of loan players but then it meant that summer they had to recruit a whole new team for league 1 and before they knew it they were falling down the leagues.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:03 pm

Yeah Dagenham did the same thing, promotion then free fall
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Angler1 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:31 am

If we are possibly (hopefully) please looking at promotion, Isn't it time we started to get the players we wish to keep signed up to new longer contracts so we don't lose them ..
Angler1

Postby Caton83 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:34 am

Sorry, I've been looking, but who do we effectively expect to lose next season if we do get promoted. I can't find a list of who is out of contract this year.
Caton83

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:53 am

Caton83 wrote:Sorry, I've been looking, but who do we effectively expect to lose next season if we do get promoted. I can't find a list of who is out of contract this year.

Is Mark Halstead out of contract by any chance?
BerlinWaller

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:56 pm

As Shrimps supporters we are rightly hoping for promotion. Yes this will incur a financial situation. Could our reputation not increase to the effect of attracting bigger sponsors bringing in more much vital funding. We also missed out on the pre-season sponsorship night.
jbc.shrimp

Postby Andy D » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:17 pm

i certainly don't want wholesale changes!

i think the main players who have been starting if they were to get us to L1 they deserve a chance, it would be bad for team spirit otherwise.
Andy D

Postby black morse » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:22 pm

Much of this is up to a) the manager and b) the players.
I seem to remember someone saying that most of the players contracts expire at the end of the season. If we are going up I would expect the players to want an increase in their wages.
Last edited by black morse on Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
black morse

Postby black morse » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:24 pm

CMG was I think out of contract at the end of the season but from DA referring to him being able to move upwards for a large fee I think we can assume he has signed an extension/new contract. I think we all think he's likely to go. That one is going to be difficult to replace.
black morse

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:56 pm

black morse wrote:CMG was I think out of contract at the end of the season but from DA referring to him being able to move upwards for a large fee I think we can assume he has signed an extension/new contract. I think we all think he's likely to go. That one is going to be difficult to replace.

If D.A. seems to think that C.M.G. could be wanted, I would imagine he will have been doing his homework to research a replacement.
jbc.shrimp

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm

Public knowledge of the players’ contracts shows that it’s only Sam Lavelle who has a contract longer than this summer. As mentioned above, it looks like Derek has plans for Carlos, maybe depending on whether we secure promotion?

Whatever the case, you’d imagine the vast majority of our squad would be delighted to re-sign at the end of the season after what we have achieved so far this campaign, especially the ones like Wildig for example, who have signed plenty of extensions with us when they knew we’d be in a relegation fight.

I think it’s important to remember how the manager operates. He’s not the type to be announcing to the opposition which players are injured or what he thinks his opposition’s weaknesses are before a game for example. He also doesn’t strike me as the type who would renew contracts before the season finale, which may divert players’ attention elsewhere when we need full focus on getting results, or the situation may change so his decision on a player may change as well - for example if we do go up, you’d assume he might be more willing to dispose of more players. To me, all of this leads to an assumption that he’s either already got it under control, or will have it under control come the end of the season and into the summer.

He’s had contract experience 5 different leagues across the UK, so I trust that he will make the right decisions at the right time!
RapidShrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 pm

RapidShrimp wrote:Public knowledge of the players’ contracts shows that it’s only Sam Lavelle who has a contract longer than this summer. As mentioned above, it looks like Derek has plans for Carlos, maybe depending on whether we secure promotion?

Whatever the case, you’d imagine the vast majority of our squad would be delighted to re-sign at the end of the season after what we have achieved so far this campaign, especially the ones like Wildig for example, who have signed plenty of extensions with us when they knew we’d be in a relegation fight.

I think it’s important to remember how the manager operates. He’s not the type to be announcing to the opposition which players are injured or what he thinks his opposition’s weaknesses are before a game for example. He also doesn’t strike me as the type who would renew contracts before the season finale, which may divert players’ attention elsewhere when we need full focus on getting results, or the situation may change so his decision on a player may change as well - for example if we do go up, you’d assume he might be more willing to dispose of more players. To me, all of this leads to an assumption that he’s either already got it under control, or will have it under control come the end of the season and into the summer.

He’s had contract experience 5 different leagues across the UK, so I trust that he will make the right decisions at the right time!

Did Carlos sign a new 1 year contract last Summer with an option of another year ?

Back to Derek , I thought it was interesting that Michael Duff in his pre match interview was predicting Morecambe's team and formation , but he never mentioned McAlinden !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
RapidShrimp wrote:Public knowledge of the players’ contracts shows that it’s only Sam Lavelle who has a contract longer than this summer. As mentioned above, it looks like Derek has plans for Carlos, maybe depending on whether we secure promotion?

Did Carlos sign a new 1 year contract last Summer with an option of another year ?

Back to Derek , I thought it was interesting that Michael Duff in his pre match interview was predicting Morecambe's team and formation , but he never mentioned McAlinden !

On Carlos, I am under the impression that when he signed back in 2018, it was for 1 year with a possible extra year. We obviously used that option, then last summer we just extended his contract for another year with no obvious clause or option at the end of it. Derek seems to have his head screwed on so maybe there’s an extension clause that we don’t know about this time!
RapidShrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:21 pm

I think Derek likes a high turnover of players keeps people on their toes and freshens things up. I don't think he likes familiarity maybe he thinks it makes people relax too much. I wouldn't be surprised if you even see him move some of the favourites on.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Return to General Discussion