DA Post match

DA Post match

Postby redrobo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:42 pm

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2021/f ... -reaction/

The one thing we most certainly have to improve on is our shooting on target.

Time after time the ball flies past the outside of the post or is skied.

The stats from last night suggest only 2 shots on target out of a total of 17 which is simply not good enough.
redrobo

Re: DA Post match

Postby tim-sanchez » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:57 pm

I think part of the problem is we're not creating great chances, 11 of our 17 shots last night were outside the box according to Whoscored: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... -Morecambe

A couple of seasons ago I'd have said we were too conservative and needed to have a go more often, but now we seem to be a more dangerous side maybe we need more patient build-up? Creating better chances rather than snatching at shots at every opportunity. We also had 6 shots blocked, meaning we're not getting in clear space to take a shot. They had 0 shots blocked, and 7 shots inside the box compared to 4 outside.
tim-sanchez

Postby RedRedWine » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:12 pm

I think there were really only 4 clear-cut chances in the entire game last night that I can remember, 3 of them falling our way - and none of them were scored:

1st half Carlos from Cole cross
2nd half Mellor put through but shoots over
2nd half Carlos 1v1 but delays the shot (waiting for contact?) and is tackled
2nd half they had a miss from close range when 2-1 ahead to wrap the game up

A few other half openings - but considering how well Bradford passed the ball on what looked like a really poor surface, I don't actually think they were able to create a lot in terms of clear openings; which is credit to us defensively.

The goals that were scored, were all really flukey - and not intended the way they ended up in the net; O'Sullivan mishit cross goes in, Bradfords opener was deflected past Letheren by Mellor, Bantams winner a cross that goes in off the post that should've been chalked off for the attacker interfering with play.

We are still making enough openings to win games, but we just aren't taking them at the moment IMO. In an 8 game span starting early December, Carlos was really clinical in front of goal and netted 6 times - but now those goals have seemingly disappeared, although the chances clearly haven't. Hopefully he can regain that goalscoring touch, same goes for Aaron.

Lots of discussion about Phillips departure as the main reason behind a perceived drop-off in recent performances, but I think that's a bit simplistic. No doubt that Phillips was a quality player and will be missed, but I personally don't think that's the main reason behind the recent winless run - as highlighted, we still create good chances. To be honest, I don't think that there is much difference in the performances now vs the rest of the season, just that the results haven't been as good of late. They're all largely using the same tactics/playing personnel.

One thing for me that is a little concerning is how Cole now looks a bit more isolated and less involved in the last few games. Wildig isn't getting forward as much, and although O'Sullivan brings other qualities to the team - I don't envisage him as the type of player that gets high enough up the pitch to join in with attacks regularly. We've also changed our starting fullbacks after the second half display at Stevenage, with Gibson and Mellor coming in for Hendrie and Cooney. I think the thinking behind this is to be a bit more structured in defence, but as Hendrie and Cooney get forward a bit more this has taken a bit away from our general attacking play IMO. There now seems to be a big gap between Cole and the rest of the team.

The only really disappointing aspect form last night from a Morecambe perspective was the last 20 minutes of the game IMO. I think we resorted too readily to punting the long ball up from Letheren, which Bradford were able to cope with pretty easily..... and we just kept doing it despite it not working. Showed a lack of ideas really.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm

RedRedWine wrote:We've also changed our starting fullbacks after the second half display at Stevenage, with Gibson and Mellor coming in for Hendrie and Cooney. I think the thinking behind this is to be a bit more structured in defence, but as Hendrie and Cooney get forward a bit more this has taken a bit away from our general attacking play IMO. There now seems to be a big gap between Cole and the rest of the team.

Totally agree here, especially Cooney. Having lost Phillips' creativity as well as Cooney & Hendrie, we need to produce from somewhere.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:39 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:I think part of the problem is we're not creating great chances, 11 of our 17 shots last night were outside the box according to Whoscored: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... -Morecambe

A couple of seasons ago I'd have said we were too conservative and needed to have a go more often, but now we seem to be a more dangerous side maybe we need more patient build-up? Creating better chances rather than snatching at shots at every opportunity. We also had 6 shots blocked, meaning we're not getting in clear space to take a shot. They had 0 shots blocked, and 7 shots inside the box compared to 4 outside.

I think this is a really interesting point. We're making our way up the pitch and getting into decent areas (our territory from the past couple of games looks good), but not many shots are hitting the target and lots are getting blocked.

I felt particularly against Bolton our decision making was poor and we lacked composure in the final third. This meant that while we had a fair few good entries into dangerous areas, we never really got the ball to sit up nicely for a good effort on goal.
Little Shrimp

Postby jbc.shrimp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:09 am

I've just watched the video, looks like there was a chance of a nudge on C.M.G.as he was about to shoot.
jbc.shrimp

Return to General Discussion