Is it just possible that....

Is it just possible that....

Postby redrobo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:15 pm

...we could get to see a LIVE game at the stadium around late April early May IF Boris decides to withdraw some of the current Covid restrictions before the end of the season.... :?: :?: :?:

As much as I want to get back to live football I don't want us to risk a 3rd lock down just to please some of his party so for me I'm prepared to live with the current restrictions for as long as it takes to reduce the incident rates significantly.

We are going to have to live with Covid for the foreseeable future as we do with Flu but to rush back even with some minor tweaks could prove disastrous.

There are far more important issues to resolve than getting back to watching live football.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
redrobo

Re: Is it just possible that....

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:58 pm

Redrobo, I know other as likely to dismiss me for my opinion but, I don't even believe in the full lockdown. They should simply put everybody on half normal hours with half staff on duty, at least this would keep things moving. If necessary everybody wears face coverings in ALL public places, (NO EXCEPTIONS). Follow the guidance on washing, and keeping distance. As for match days, the club say they are set up Covid ready. Why have players on the pitch having celebration huddles, yet not allow fans socially distanced. Anybody not following the rules ejected immediately, and heavy fines or detention for anybody breaking rules.
jbc.shrimp

Postby redrobo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:28 pm

jbc.shrimp wrote:Redrobo, I know other as likely to dismiss me for my opinion but, I don't even believe in the full lockdown. They should simply put everybody on half normal hours with half staff on duty, at least this would keep things moving. If necessary everybody wears face coverings in ALL public places, (NO EXCEPTIONS). Follow the guidance on washing, and keeping distance. As for match days, the club say they are set up Covid ready. Why have players on the pitch having celebration huddles, yet not allow fans socially distanced. Anybody not following the rules ejected immediately, and heavy fines or detention for anybody breaking rules.

Everybody has a right to say what they want without fear of being shouted down.

I'm 100% in agreement about the use of face masks in all public places and keeping to the 2m rule. Unfortunately we the great British public are responsible for Covid spreading amongst the population by a complete indifference to the 2m rule. If from day1 everybody without exception had done what they should have done the death rate would have been significantly lower but people simply refused to comply with Government mandates and we now find ourselves in this terrible place.

WE the public are responsible....NOT Governments....but as always we hate to be dictated too and assume we know best or simply can't be bothered.
redrobo

Postby morecambegeek » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:48 pm

redrobo wrote:
WE the public are responsible....NOT Governments....but as always we hate to be dictated too and assume we know best or simply can't be bothered.

- Not locking down for 10 days after scientific advice for the first lockdown, and askng people not to go to the pub but not ordering them to shut
- Eat out to help out
- Telling students to go back to university in September, causing massive spread on campus
- Ignoring circuit breaker advice
- Allowing household mixing over Christmas
- Bullying people back to work in September/October
- schools safe on January 4th but not January 5th
- threating London schools with legal action should they not stay open in the last week of December term as the new variant spread throughout the city
- farcial quarantine of people entering the country (you can get to your quarantine on public transport - WTAF)

So yeah, nothing to do with the government at all.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
morecambegeek

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:58 pm

I am hopeful that we will get to see a few games still this season. If hospitality is potentially opening for Easter I'd see that as a sensible time to let a reduced number of fans in.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Ignoring circuit breaker advice !! Yes anyone who thinks a circuit breaker would have worked or been any use needs to give their head a wobble.

No doubt the PM received and receives lots of conflicting advice. He has to make decisions that reduce transmission but without putting most of the country out of work and the furlough and self employed grant schemes have managed to keep most people solvent , there are exceptions and anomalies but certainly IMHO he has done a decent job in unprecedented circumstances.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:13 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Ignoring circuit breaker advice !! Yes anyone who thinks a circuit breaker would have worked or been any use needs to give their head a wobble.

No doubt the PM received and receives lots of conflicting advice. He has to make decisions that reduce transmission but without putting most of the country out of work and the furlough and self employed grant schemes have managed to keep most people solvent , there are exceptions and anomalies but certainly IMHO he has done a decent job in unprecedented circumstances.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh? You were being serious? :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

Remember, this is the Prime Minister who boasted that he was carrying on shaking hands with people until he got COVID-19 himself. The Prime Minister who supported his leader going to Barnard Castle and even let him blatantly tell lies from the garden of 10 Downing Street. The Prime Minister who has MP's complaining when he finally "gave in to science". A Prime Minister, who belatedly introduced mandatory quarantine, almost a year late, but hasn't included the USA on the 'red list' despite the USA being one of the most out of control countries on the planet.

Of course a circuit breaker would have worked... ...if that is what had been done. Instead, there was a semi-circuit breaker. By the time they closed schools, it was all too late.

Poor decision-making.
Inaction.
Moving too slowly.
Very poorly communicating (for example, people still don't understand the 'die within 28 days...' for counting COVID-19.

Johnson has managed to follow an amazingly incompetent path that has damaged the economy more than most similar countries and higher level of deaths than most as well.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:25 pm

Still...... good news about the chocolate oranges!
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:43 pm

Just wondering if the Johnson cheerleaders think it was a good idea to give the Test, Track & Trace contract (and shedloads of money too) to the head of the Jockey Club rather than to someone who knew what they were doing rather than simply married to a Tory MP and a major donor to the Conservative Party? Perhaps they think a badly written EXCEL spreadsheet is what classed as "world beating"?

Perhaps the handing of PPE and other contracts to their mates instead of tendering as normal was a good move too?

Unless you think these were 'sensible' & 'reasonable', you have to accept they were either corrupt or incompetent? Is there another option?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:17 pm

.....and despite all the anti Tory venom by some, the Tories are still ahead in the opinion polls and Boris is still preferred as the PM.

Maybe if Labour (and in particular their health spokesperson and Shadow chancellor) came out with some answers rather than slagging off the Government at every opportunity the electorate would look more favourably at them..... :lol:
redrobo

Postby Freez » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 pm

Open goals are being missed by Labour all day and every day.
Labour are not fit to govern, there is wishy washy leadership and muddled infighting.

However, anyone who thinks the current incumbents are doing a decent job are just as blind and one sided as any lefty.
Set of self serving parasites who are being overseen by the king of bull.

We are in a right old state, need football to bring a smile back temporarily.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:31 pm

Derek Adams for PM?
tim-sanchez

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 am

An independent inquiry should see the Tories get what they deserve but the Lockdown loving LABOUR leader is the one who needs to be held to account. The virus is what it is but the real hardship is to come when they stop furlough. A Labour leader who demanded to stop working class people from being able to work is beyond comprehension.

Sub 10,000 cases yesterday, once the over 50's are jabbed there is no reason why we are not allowed back to watch games this season.
BerlinWaller

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:48 am

Redrobo for pm! I agree with everything said
nobbyshrimp

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:57 am

Opposition by hindsight.
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby black morse » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 am

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:Opposition by hindsight.

Very true.
black morse

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:46 am

Freez wrote:Open goals are being missed by Labour all day and every day.
Labour are not fit to govern, there is wishy washy leadership and muddled infighting.

However, anyone who thinks the current incumbents are doing a decent job are just as blind and one sided as any lefty.

Totally agree with Freez here.

If you want a very simple breakdown of how the UK has done in this pandemic, just look at the number deaths per capita verses the percentage drop in GDP. On both accounts you could describe the UK as 'world leading'. :cry:

I think ultimately though this government will be judged on how we come out of this mess. We've made a good start with vaccines and hopefully this will allow the country to bounce back quicker. Who pays for the crisis though will be interesting too. Boris won't want to be unpopular, however austerity seems inevitable.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:02 pm

There was a 368% increase in the amount of people using foodbanks in our area in 2020 and 39000 food parcels delivered. A 368% increase in people being unable to provide for their families. Society is on its arse and people want a harsher, longer lockdown.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:49 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:There was a 368% increase in the amount of people using foodbanks in our area in 2020 and 39000 food parcels delivered. A 368% increase in people being unable to provide for their families. Society is on its arse and people want a harsher, longer lockdown.

Would like to believe that that is true.

Certainly I would accept a much longer lockdown but I suspect that the current conditions will be eased which would be wrong.
redrobo

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:02 pm

I understand why some people want an end to lockdown, but I fear it is short-term thinking. Surely it's better to go a bit longer with lockdown so when we come out we have hopefully a minimal risk of going back in. It's better for businesses, the economy and jobs to have that level of certainty. Release too soon and we end up going back in again. As has already been stated, bar Portugal we have the worst deaths/capita rate in the world, and in fact countries that locked down quicker and harder have suffered less economic damage, so let's please live with it a little longer and we can hopefully never go back again, at least till the next pandemic, for which hopefully lessons will have been learned.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:25 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Freez wrote:Open goals are being missed by Labour all day and every day.

Totally agree with Freez here.

If you want a very simple breakdown of how the UK has done in this pandemic, just look at the number deaths per capita verses the percentage drop in GDP. On both accounts you could describe the UK as 'world leading'. :cry:

I think ultimately though this government will be judged on how we come out of this mess. We've made a good start with vaccines and hopefully this will allow the country to bounce back quicker. Who pays for the crisis though will be interesting too. Boris won't want to be unpopular, however austerity seems inevitable.

The death rate is high as far as the headline rate is concerned but when the final analysis is done at a future enquiry how many of the deaths will be exclusively attributed to Covid-19 ? The deaths as recorded in the UK are those where a Covid-19 positive test has taken place within 28 days of death. Captain Tom died after a positive Covid-19 test although he was ill with Pneumonia after an ill advised holiday in Barbados at Christmas. Very likely the Pneumonia killed him but at the moment he is in the Covid-19 statistics. I know 3 people in the last couple of weeks who have died with Covid-19 on their death certificates and are therefore in the UK statistics although they had other terminal illnesses such as Cancer.
The Economists are confident that the UK GDP will be back higher than the March 2020 level by early 2022. With the cost of borrowing being low there is no immediate need for Tax increases but the cost of Furlough and Self Employed Income Grants will have to be repaid probably over a long period.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Screenster » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:45 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Sub 10,000 cases yesterday, once the over 50's are jabbed there is no reason why we are not allowed back to watch games this season.
BerlinWaller wrote:There was a 368% increase in the amount of people using foodbanks in our area in 2020 and 39000 food parcels delivered. A 368% increase in people being unable to provide for their families. Society is on its arse and people want a harsher, longer lockdown.

Spot on.
Screenster

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:27 pm

redrobo wrote:

Would like to believe that that is true.

Certainly I would accept a much longer lockdown but I suspect that the current conditions will be eased which would be wrong.

I reckon that if they stopped or cut your pension you would be singing a different tune. I reckon that if your children had to miss months and months of School and were locked away in a house you would have a different view. I reckon that if you had the right to go and earn to provide for your family taken away, you wouldn't be calling for a harsher lock down.

I just had a walk on the prom and walked past the Telephone exchange car park and there is no testing centre there today. If it is so rife and dangerous,.why aren't they testing and why aren't they queuing for miles to get tested? It was so nice to see the Prom busy with kids laughing and playing in the Teletubbie park though.
BerlinWaller

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:55 pm

Keith wrote:Poor decision-making.
Inaction.
Moving too slowly.
Very poorly communicating

Which team are you describing?
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion