Songo’o Available For Scunthorpe Game

Songo’o Available For Scunthorpe Game

Postby Bara brith » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:04 am

Tomorrow’s game is also the first for which midfielder Yann Songo’o is available after his FA charge for allegedly directing a homophobic insult to a Tranmere player last month.
Songo’o picked up a two-match ban for his red card in that game and, when asked if he was under consideration for a return, Adams said: “All I would say is that he’s available for Saturday.”
( Morecambe Visitor)
Bara brith

Re: Songo’o Available For Scunthorpe Game

Postby tim-sanchez » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57 am

I'd be extremely disappointed if the club decided to play him whilst he's under investigation for homophobia. I think the club have handled this really poorly, they were apparently waiting for the referee's report and clearly have that now since he's been charged, but still it's silence from the club.

And no, I'm not presuming his guilt, based on the facts we know he has been charged by the FA for a potential serious offence and it seems very unusual for the club to just continue as if nothing's happened.
tim-sanchez

Postby Zippy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:49 pm

D.A is the Manager ' best position to act in best interests of the club and the Player. Which to be frank , is all that really matters at kick off time.
Last edited by Zippy on Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zippy

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:09 pm

I want the best possible team on the field for Saturday and IMHO that would include Songo'o.

What he says to the FA in reply to the charge will be dealt with in due course.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby cragbankshrimp » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Looking at the last two games it's a no brainer that he's selected. Yes, he shouldn't have made the comment, but let's put things in perspective. You can break an opponents leg and only receive a three match ban.
"Accrington Stanley" Who are they??????????????
cragbankshrimp

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:23 pm

Agreed, he’s only been given a 2 match ban which he’s served, any possible future ban can be dealt with If there is one.
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby black morse » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:38 pm

cragbankshrimp wrote:Looking at the last two games it's a no brainer that he's selected. Yes, he shouldn't have made the comment, but let's put things in perspective. You can break an opponents leg and only receive a three match ban.

Fully agree with this.
black morse

Postby tim-sanchez » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:04 pm

cragbankshrimp wrote:Looking at the last two games it's a no brainer that he's selected. Yes, he shouldn't have made the comment, but let's put things in perspective. You can break an opponents leg and only receive a three match ban.

The difference is that a tackle is normally part of the game, and accidental. In the rare situations a player has done something extreme and out of the norm, like Ben Thatcher's elbow or Suarez's bite, the ban has been considerably extended.

Homophobia is absolutely not part of the game, there was no reason for him to make the comment he did, and we should be doing everything we can to eradicate it from the game. I don't think it can be compared with a mis-timed tackle, which is usually unfortunate rather than malicious. A homophobic slur isn't accidental (unless he was discussing his dinner, which I guess we'll find out when the FA release more details).

That's the perspective/context I see it with.
tim-sanchez

Postby al1 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Innocent till proven guilty!
al1

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:39 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:don't think it can be compared with a mis-timed tackle, which is usually unfortunate rather than malicious.

Roy Kean on Alfe Ing Haarland would be one, although I think his thuggish timing was perfect, just saying like.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby tim-sanchez » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:52 pm

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:
tim-sanchez wrote:don't think it can be compared with a mis-timed tackle, which is usually unfortunate rather than malicious.

Roy Kean on Alfe Ing Haarland would be one, although I think his thuggish timing was perfect, just saying like.

And that fits the examples I gave of a rare situation that is out of the norm. Keane was given a record fine and a ban after his autobiography came out for the incident.
tim-sanchez

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:05 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:
Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:

And that fits the examples I gave of a rare situation that is out of the norm. Keane was given a record fine and a ban after his autobiography came out for the incident.

He only got a 3 match ban at the time for ending Haarland’s career though so yes, a bit of perspective required. If Songo’o is found to be guilty of the alleged offence then further punishment is right but, although not good or nice, it’s not career ending for the recipient.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby Shrimp Girl » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:13 pm

Match now postponed tomorrow so he definitely won't be playing
Shrimp Girl

Postby Ego Tripping » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:22 pm

He only got a 3 match ban at the time for ending Haarland’s career though so yes, a bit of perspective required. If Songo’o is found to be guilty of the alleged offence then further punishment is right but, although not good or nice, it’s not career ending for the recipient.

Common misconception that Keane ended his career. However it’s total nonsense as it was the other knee to that one that Keane injured that forced him to retire
Ego Tripping

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:38 pm

Ego Tripping wrote:

Common misconception that Keane ended his career. However it’s total nonsense as it was the other knee to that one that Keane injured that forced him to retire

He never played another full game after that “tackle” and says he still has pain in the knee.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby jbc.shrimp » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:57 am

GET HIM AVAILABLE FOR PLAY AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jbc.shrimp

Postby redrobo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:

The difference is that a tackle is normally part of the game, and accidental. In the rare situations a player has done something extreme and out of the norm, like Ben Thatcher's elbow or Suarez's bite, the ban has been considerably extended.

Homophobia is absolutely not part of the game, there was no reason for him to make the comment he did, and we should be doing everything we can to eradicate it from the game. I don't think it can be compared with a mis-timed tackle, which is usually unfortunate rather than malicious. A homophobic slur isn't accidental (unless he was discussing his dinner, which I guess we'll find out when the FA release more details).

Self appointed judge and jury.

It's not proven so to suggest otherwise is wrong....

:roll: :roll: :roll:
redrobo

Postby tim-sanchez » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:40 pm

redrobo wrote:
tim-sanchez wrote:

Self appointed judge and jury.

It's not proven so to suggest otherwise is wrong....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I notice you highlight my comment but not the part previously where somebody else also said "he shouldn't have made the comment". You also seem to ignore the rest of my comment, where I do accept there was other possible reasons for him making the comment, and we will find out. I do find it ironic that you're suggesting we could be taking his words out of context, whilst you repeatedly take my words out of context.
tim-sanchez

Postby redrobo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:52 pm

You repeatably accuse him with little factual evidence to prove what was actually said. The video clip is far from conclusive but I accept that we obviously differ on the alleged incident.

As for our club making no comment, until they are given any factual evidence of what was alleged the club in my opinion are quite right to remain silent on this issue. And as for the lack of the referees report (to date) I am surprised that such an alleged incident hasn't been one assumes reported by the referee although I could be wrong in that assessment.

Time to move on and welcome him back to first team action asap.
redrobo

Postby New_Ground_Watcher » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:56 pm

Is the player who the alleged abuse was aimed at actually a homosexual?
New_Ground_Watcher

Postby morecambegeek » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:12 pm

New_Ground_Watcher wrote:Is the player who the alleged abuse was aimed at actually a homosexual?

morecambegeek

Postby RapidShrimp » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Some of the posts in this thread are very concerning
RapidShrimp

Postby redrobo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:04 pm

RapidShrimp wrote:Some of the posts in this thread are very concerning

SVs is a broad church.....that is what is so good about it.

Differing opinions make for a greater depth of topics and viewpoints (and the odd disagreement... :lol: ;) )
redrobo

Postby New_Ground_Watcher » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:08 pm

morecambegeek wrote:
New_Ground_Watcher wrote:Is the player who the alleged abuse was aimed at actually a homosexual?

I'm asking because if he is, and Songo'o knows he is Songo'o deserves the book throwing at him. If he isn't and Songo'o knows he isn't then maybe the abuse was just the first insult that came into his head.
I was offended by your reply by the way morecambegeek! It was a relevant question.
New_Ground_Watcher

Postby morecambegeek » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 pm

If you're offended by that, imagine if you were called a faggot.
morecambegeek

Next

Return to General Discussion