Stevenage 2 Morecambe 2 [Tooms, Stockton] LIVE thread

Re: Stevenage 2 Morecambe 2 [Tooms, Stockton] LIVE thread

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm

redrobo wrote:
Born again Bill wrote:Shocking second half performance , deserved to lose that . Need to start killing off games earlier rather than sitting back with a one goal lead !

Totally agree BUT we knew DA's tactics when he was appointed. Plymouth fans told us that his style was not that pretty on the eye with negative being a word to describe his methods.

I'd rather play negative and be where we are than play negative and be in yet another relegation battle.

Phillips was subbed at the Crown Ground ....

Derek has been far from negative during his time here. I don't think we have seen such attacking football since the days of Jim Harvey. Being defensively organised is not being negative.

Not a great result but does show how far we have come in a short time.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:16 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:Brilliant first half, then a very poor second half. A draw was a fair result in the end.

Really disappointed with that second half performance. I am fine with our counter-attacking style and it can be a good way to play. But we did not relieve pressure on ourselves at all and used the ball terribly, which only heaped the pressure on. Ends up playing the averages against us, making it more likely for a bit of skill/slip up/gap to see a goal. Could see what DA was trying with the shape change but it didn't really work, think the problems in the second half were more us getting to camped in and mentally shutting down a bit.

Letheren was decent against Tranmere but unconvincing today. Not commanding of his area and a bit questionable for their second goal. Appreciate he made a very good acrobatic save from a free-kick but not sure why he didn't just go for the second with his feet, although I would need to watch it again. Halstead back in for me.

A 'good' defensive/counter-attacking performance would see us use the ball better when we get it and create chances from the space that the opposition leave behind. This did not happen at all today, and was very disappointing after we did very well going forward in the first half.

Exactly what the Chesterfield fans warned us about, so no surprise. Trouble is that he's one of DA's men so can't see Mark back in.

Mark has done very little wrong but DA appears not to have faith in him and being a stubborn Scot I can't see any change on the horizon BUT can't complain about him too much as he's totally turned our club around from the shambles of previous seasons.
redrobo

Postby RapidShrimp » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:28 pm

redrobo wrote:
Born again Bill wrote:Shocking second half performance , deserved to lose that . Need to start killing off games earlier rather than sitting back with a one goal lead !

Totally agree BUT we knew DA's tactics when he was appointed. Plymouth fans told us that his style was not that pretty on the eye with negative being a word to describe his methods.

I'd rather play negative and be where we are than play negative and be in yet another relegation battle.

Phillips was subbed at the Crown Ground ....

Agree with the first part definitely! But I don’t get this Phillips narrative - he started the first game he was available for in a higher division, and stayed on the pitch until the 80th minute when he was subbed off for a forward. More likely that it was a lack of fitness/training with the team rather than having a bad performance.
RapidShrimp

Previous

Return to General Discussion