Starting lineup without Phillips,Songoo?

Starting lineup without Phillips,Songoo?

Postby vanillaturtle » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:48 pm

Both are big blows to our squad and we have to hope wildig and kenyon can step up and fill their shoes.

Halstead/Letheren
Cooney Lavelle NKP Hendrie/Gibson
Kenyon Diagouraga/Denny
O Sullivan Wildig CMG
Stockton

Pringle/Lyons could sub out for diagouraga in a 4141, i think he can contribute to the squad but hasn't been given a chance in a while
AJay/mcalinden for diagouraga in a 4132

Bench:
Letheren
Gibson
Davis
Pringle
Lyons
Ajay/McAlinden/Price
Denny/Kenyon
vanillaturtle

Re: Starting lineup without Phillips,Songoo?

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:56 pm

Interesting to see how DA will approach this. Can't see the defence really changing - I think we have great options there and I'd be happy with pretty much any combination.

The big question for me is if we change system to accommodate or not. We haven't seen loads of Pringle but he could probably provide for a good bit of creativity and long passing. In his few appearances, his pass success rate has been high. Won't be running in behind like Phillips though.

No idea in regards to Lyons - obviously scored a few goals for Blackburn U23s from midfield so hopefully has some goals in him for us. You'd presume he would probably be looking to run in behind/into the box given his recent goal returns. Hard to analyse him much further at the moment though.

Initially, I think only the midfield will change. I'd assume we'll see Toums-Kenyon/Denny-Wildig/Lyons/Pringle at the weekend depending on who's available, and then go from there. With it being Stevenage who have a sturdy defence but very little attacking threat, I would quite like to see Wildig/Lyons-Toums-Pringle if possible as I think we'll need all the creativity we can get.

Should be a bit more clear after a game or two if we can keep the same system with minor tweaks, or will have to have a re-think of how we line-up going forward.
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:43 pm

Could Carlos fill Adams role and be the one to make those runs from a more central position or would he get lost in the middle of the pitch? Adam had a decent range of passing and I think Carlos has a good eye for a pass but does lack physicality. Hopefully Wildig is back sooner than later and he can pick up where he left off.
BerlinWaller

Postby RapidShrimp » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:03 pm

This would be my preferred lineup, without Songo’o, assuming everyone’s fit, and based on current form:

Letheren
Cooney, Lavelle, NKP, Hendrie
Denny
O’Sullivan, Toums, Wildig, Carlos
Stockton

There’s definitely a shout for Gibson and Davis to replace Hendrie and NKP, but the latter 2 have done a good job in place of the other two. Denny and Kenyon have played very similar amounts of football this season, but I’d like to see whatever Denny’s like, especially against a Stevenage side that aren’t exactly notorious for their goal-scoring. The midfield still looks very strong, I’ve put Toums ahead of Denny, but as we’ve seen so far this season, it could also be considered a 4231 with Toums deeper, rather than a 4141. There’s also an option to ditch Toums, and go closer to a 442 if we started Slew or McAlinden, however that’s not tried and tested unlike our current setup.

Essentially, we’ve replaced Phillips with Lyons and Songo’o with Denny, so squad depth still looks fairly healthy - I’ve not even considered Lyons in the XI!
RapidShrimp

Postby thefactsman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:03 am

Even though we have lost Phillips and potentially Songo'o too, we still have a strong squad.

Where is Kelvin Mellor at? Is he injured? Thought he was brilliant first half of the season, would love to see him back at right back with Cooney perhaps in a more advanced right wing position
thefactsman

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:16 pm

Full back (particularly RB) definitely is an area we're very strong in. Why not get them all in and have them pushing on from wide centre back? :lol:

Halstead
Mellor Lavelle Gibson
Cooney Diagouraga O'Sullivan Hendrie
Wildig
McAlinden Mendes-Gomes

League Two tiki-taka. Who needs Adam Phillips?!
Little Shrimp

Postby RedRedWine » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Given the 'man in possession' Adams adage, considering the loss of Phillips and Songo'o I think we will initially go as follows:

Letheren (I suspect he has been brought here to play, which he was doing in the league below)
Cooney
Knight-Percival
Lavelle
Hendrie
Kenyon
Diagouraga
O'Sullivan
Wildig
Meneds-Gomes
Stockton

This leaves

Halstead
Mellor
Davis
Gibson
Slew
Denny
Lyons
Pringle
Price
McAlinden
Ajay-Leitch Smith

We still have a strong squad - that would actually be a decent XI vs XI IMO 8-)

Its still difficult to make the bench when everyone is fit..... in years gone by we've filled it for the sake of it IMO, with some players not really at the level to call upon to make tactical changes and impact a game.

Big opportunity for Pringle (not really had many opportunities, but obvious pedigree) and Lyons (rated by Rovers) and Price (has looked good when called upon) to make an impact in the final half of the season now that Phillips has left.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Castaway » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:49 pm

Do not automatically parse URLs
Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)
Notify me when a reply is posted
EXPAND VIEWTOPIC REVIEW: STARTING LINEUP WITHOUT PHILLIPS,SONGOO?
Post by RedRedWine » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:59 pm

Given the 'man in possession' Adams adage, considering the loss of Phillips and Songo'o I think we will initially go as follows:

Letheren (I suspect he has been brought here to play, which he was doing in the league below)
Cooney
Knight-Percival
Lavelle
Hendrie
Kenyon
Diagouraga
O'Sullivan
Wildig
Meneds-Gomes
Stockton

This leaves

Halstead
Mellor
Davis
Gibson
Slew
Denny
Lyons
Pringle
Price
McAlinden
Ajay-Leitch Smith

We still have a strong squad - that would actually be a decent XI vs XI IMO 8-)

Its still difficult to make the bench when everyone is fit..... in years gone by we've filled it for the sake of it IMO, with some players not really at the level to call upon to make tactical changes and impact a game.

Big opportunity for Pringle (not really had many opportunities, but obvious pedigree) and Lyons (rated by Rovers) and Price (has looked good when called upon) to make an impact in the final half of the season now that Phillips has left.
Post by Little Shrimp » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Full back (particularly RB) definitely is an area we're very strong in. Why not get them all in and have them pushing on from wide centre back? :lol:

Halstead
Mellor Lavelle Gibson
Cooney Diagouraga O'Sullivan Hendrie
Wildig
McAlinden Mendes-Gomes

I think you're joking here... Could never see us playing full backs at centre back when we have two very solid players you've left out (Davis & Knight Percival).

I tend to think Derek goes with the philosophy, as RRW said, that he picks players in possession of the shirt.

I could see him making up a team for Saturday made of players with most minutes in their legs in 2021. Although, when you consider that 3 key midfielders to our trusted lineup are not available (Phillips, Songo'o and perhaps Wildig) there will have to be allowances there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see:

------------------- Letheren ---------------------------

------ Sam ------ Davis ------- Knight Percival ----

Cooney ------------------------------------------ Hendrie

--------- Sullivan ---- Touma ----- CMG ---------------

---------------- Slew --------- Cole ---------------------------

I'm intrigued to see if Lyons is integrated somehow or if some of the other key players may return (Wildig, Mellor).
Castaway

Postby RedRedWine » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:49 am

RedRedWine wrote:Given the 'man in possession' Adams adage, considering the loss of Phillips and Songo'o I think we will initially go as follows:

Cooney
Knight-Percival
Lavelle
Hendrie
Kenyon
Diagouraga
O'Sullivan
Wildig
Meneds-Gomes
Stockton

11/11 and I'm sure I'm not alone! In such a short period of time, we have got to know Derek and how he looks to set up his team so well. Whilst we continue to get results playing this way, he won't change much IMO.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:34 am

After those two games, I'd be more tempted by:

Letheren/Halstead (Letheren impressed me against Bolton so for me it's 50/50)
Cooney Lavelle Davis/NKP Hendrie
Wildig Diagouraga Lyons
O'Sullivan Stockton CMG

Would certainly give us more on the ball, although DA may well want to have a more defensive midfielder than Diagouraga in there to mark Van Veen if he's fit.

Although Songo'o may be back in now, so we'll have to wait and see.
Little Shrimp

Return to General Discussion