Transfer deadline

Transfer deadline

Postby redrobo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:50 pm

With the transfer window closing tomorrow should DA bring someone in to strengthen midfield or any other areas for that matter... :?: :?: :?:

For me and depending on the finances I would like to see a midfield powerhouse and not my usual plea of an additional striker.

With injuries and presumed enforced absence of key players in that area in my opinion we need to strengthen the engine room in the run in to the end of the season.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: Transfer deadline

Postby Redalert1970 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:31 pm

If we don`t sign a striker we won`t finish in top 6 simple as
Redalert1970

Postby RapidShrimp » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:22 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:If we don`t sign a striker we won`t finish in top 6 simple as

While I would like to see us bring in another forward, as has become apparent in the prediction threads with you predicting draws and losses every week, I think we can take this with a pinch of salt.
RapidShrimp

Postby MRScaleHall » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:28 pm

Maybe a loan striker possibly fingers crossed but I’ve read an article saying it could be a quiet deadline day for us.
MRScaleHall

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:36 pm

Will any players go out though :?: :?: :?: :?:
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Born again Bill » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:22 pm

We have a useful striker in AJ leitch-smith but where is he , surely not still injured ?. If so surely he must be the most injury prone player we have had !
Born again Bill

Postby jbc.shrimp » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:47 pm

Born again Bill wrote:We have a useful striker in AJ leitch-smith but where is he , surely not still injured ?. If so surely he must be the most injury prone player we have had !

Memory fails. When was AJay last used, even on the bench ?
jbc.shrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:53 pm

Most fans of most clubs seem to all want a striker. On most occasions, they're probably wrong (see Leeds and Bamford).

So we get a striker, a nice nippy poacher, and then what? He bench warms for Stockton? Stockton is key to how we play, and is unlikely to be dropped unless we bring in someone better at doing what he does. We already have back-up option in Slew, who isn't brilliant but most have agreed he's done a job when filling in for Stockton.

We're very unlikely to get any strikers as good as AJ. Even when he is fit, he still sits on the bench behind Stockton. A striker would be a completely wasted wage.

I personally think we could do with another wide player - preferably who is quick and quite a direct dribbler as I think that'd be a good option to have that we don't currently possess.
Little Shrimp

Postby Slanester » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:59 pm

If a player is brought in, then it would need to be somebody who is going to make a real difference, and steps pretty much straight into the starting 11. Based on our success so far, who deserves to be dropped??
Slanester

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:11 pm

I agree with LS, we could do with an injection of pace out wide. Somebody who can beat a man and put in a good cross. We have the tricky CMG and the industrial Sully so a bit of pace would go in to the mix nicely.

Our midfield is well stocked at last as is the defence. Clubs are going to be reluctant to let players go this month with lots of games still to be played.
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:45 pm

I'm more concerned about losing players than signing them. The defence is looking solid and with depth to the squad. Midfield, I'd like to know what's going on with Kenyon, especially now Songo'o will be missing for a few games at least. Keeping what we have is more important than adding to it in my opinion.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Freez » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:58 pm

The only member of the squad who has personally confirmed he was injured therefore recently missing from the squad was Alex.
Hopefully this will see him fit and returning now Songo’o, who has been excellent, has made himself unavailable.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby CityShrimp » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:49 pm

I find myself agreeing with LS - a pacey attacker who runs at defender would have been nice, I can’t really think of a player we have in that mould. Looks like we are unlikely to bring anyone in though!
CityShrimp

Postby Ispyshrimp » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:21 am

CityShrimp wrote:I find myself agreeing with LS - a pacey attacker who runs at defender would have been nice, I can’t really think of a player we have in that mould. Looks like we are unlikely to bring anyone in though!

isn't Maclinden not a pacey attacker and doesn't get much of a chance in the team apart from last 5 minutes as a sub. Wildig was in great form before his absence so will be interesting to see what happens today in case he leaves, otherwise he needs to be a least back on the bench
Ispyshrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:53 am

Ispyshrimp wrote:
CityShrimp wrote:I find myself agreeing with LS - a pacey attacker who runs at defender would have been nice, I can’t really think of a player we have in that mould. Looks like we are unlikely to bring anyone in though!

isn't Maclinden not a pacey attacker and doesn't get much of a chance in the team apart from last 5 minutes as a sub. Wildig was in great form before his absence so will be interesting to see what happens today in case he leaves, otherwise he needs to be a least back on the bench

Not really in the mould I was thinking about. He clearly sees himself as more of a centre forward than a winger, and his strengths seem to be intelligent runs and using space well to open things up and run in behind, as well as a decent eye for a pass.

Doesn't really seem to like taking players on, and has predominantly been used down the centre drifting in behind/into the channels. I personally would like to see him used a bit more as an alternative approach to stretch the defence if Stockton isn't getting much joy out the centre backs. But he's not really a direct dribbling winger who likes to run at the opposition.
Little Shrimp

Postby Redalert1970 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:29 pm

Bolton are really going for it on deadline day .... Just signed Marcus Maddison on loan till end of season

Very good signing for league two
Redalert1970

Postby Redalert1970 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:40 pm

Tranmere sign David Nugent from Preston on loan

Some forward line now with him and Vaughnn
Redalert1970

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:40 am

Keith wrote:I'm more concerned about losing players than signing them.

I was right to be :cry: :cry: :cry: Ah well...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion