Shrimps Home Form

Shrimps Home Form

Postby RedRedWine » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:04 pm

As outlined by Derek in a recent post match interview, the Shrimps are currently 10 games unbeaten at home (including cups..... he did say 11, but I've checked and its 10 unless they sneaked a game in without anybody watching). This is a great, and perhaps long overdue, achievement for the club - and I think it is possibly the first time that its happened since we moved to our new ground(?).

For some context, this is possibly our longest unbeaten home run in terms of games since the 2012/13 season - when we were unbeaten at home for 9 games (1-0 win vs Southend United on the 20th October 2012 to 0-3 defeat vs Exeter City on the 9th February 2013).

For 10 games unbeaten at home, I think you have to go back (this is an invitation to reminisce) to November 2005. Back then we went unbeaten from a 3-1 home win vs Northwich Victoria on 18th December 2004, until a 3-1 home reverse against the same opponents (who by then had been relegated) in the FA Cup on 5th November 2005 = 22 games.

Back when I started watching games regularly in my early teens, we were traditionally a strong home team (or seemed to be from memory), and if you go back a little further we actually managed to go an entire calendar year unbeaten in the early noughties! From a 3-1 home league win vs Stevenage Borough (as they were then) on 31st August 2002, the shrimps remained unbeaten at Fortress Christie Park until a 4-2 defeat in the FA Cup to Shrewsbury Town on 25th October 2003 = 29 games.

Bookended to that incredible 29 game unbeaten home run was the loss to Yeovil Town (the only team that beat Morecambe at Christie Park in the 2002/03 season), and the defeat to Shrewsbury Town in 2003/04 season. 'Screws'bury actually beat us in the the FA Cup, the FA Trophy, and at their gaff (Gay Meadow) in the league that season. They even had a party at Christie Park on the last day of the season having drawn 3-3 and qualifying for the play-offs, eventually gaining promotion! Halcyon days!!!

Obviously its gutting that most of us have missed this run in person, but well done to Derek and the team..... hopefully I don't jinx us!
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Re: Shrimps Home Form

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Lock down going well then? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very interesting stuff.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby RedRedWine » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do like stuff like that to be honest - being a numbers orientated kind of guy. Unfortunately it's stuff like this that's not that readily available, so you have to do a bit of digging. Hopefully a few found it interesting anyway (and hopefully factually correct).

Yes, I am incredibly bored of this whole situation now, but appreciate that's its necessary for the time being - and there are people in a much worse situation. Ordinarily I'm rarely at home, but now I'm never out of the house (working) other than a walk in the evening. Morecambe games were a highlight of the week..... Now they're the only highlight of the week, and thank goodness we have them to look forward to.
RedRedWine

Postby thefactsman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:22 am

Derek Adams home record
P 21
W 9
D 9
L 3

1.71 Points per game, best PPG home record for any of our Football League managers
thefactsman

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:41 am

RedRedWine wrote:Morecambe games were a highlight of the week..... Now they're the only highlight of the week, and thank goodness we have them to look forward to.

Not just that, but they are also my 'anchor'. If I need to know what day of the week it is, I think back to the last Morecambe game, then work forwards. If we had a Saturday game kick off in the evening, I'd be so disorientated, I'd probably fail a dementia assessment!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:06 pm

RedRedWine wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I do like stuff like that to be honest - being a numbers orientated kind of guy. Unfortunately it's stuff like this that's not that readily available, so you have to do a bit of digging. Hopefully a few found it interesting anyway (and hopefully factually correct).

Yes, I am incredibly bored of this whole situation now, but appreciate that's its necessary for the time being - and there are people in a much worse situation. Ordinarily I'm rarely at home, but now I'm never out of the house (working) other than a walk in the evening. Morecambe games were a highlight of the week..... Now they're the only highlight of the week, and thank goodness we have them to look forward to.

Really appreciate your facts and figures...but seriously you need to get out more.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
redrobo

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:16 pm

RedRedWine wrote:As outlined by Derek in a recent post match interview, the Shrimps are currently 10 games unbeaten at home ...

...well done to Derek and the team..... hopefully I don't jinx us!

Well, that was predictable! :roll: Bloody jinx!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby RedRedWine » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:36 pm

I think Yann Songo'o must take some of the blame to be honest.... Possibly even Phillips.
RedRedWine

Postby RapidShrimp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:08 pm

RedRedWine wrote:I think Yann Songo'o must take some of the blame to be honest.... Possibly even Phillips.

Phillips made a mistake in the game, Songo’o made a mistake when the ball wasn’t in play. After all the good Phillips has done for us, a miss-hit penalty is excusable. Songo’o getting sent of for apparent ‘verbal abuse’ towards the ref is completely inexcusable and deserves to be banned for 3 games to learn his lesson.
RapidShrimp

Postby RedRedWine » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:12 pm

I'm not blaming Phillips for the defeat.... He's been great for us, and penalty misses happen. But that miss is a contributing factor to our loss more than me pointing out some statistics that give our previously unbeaten home record some context. Keep up.
RedRedWine

Postby RapidShrimp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:16 pm

RedRedWine wrote:I'm not blaming Phillips for the defeat.... He's been great for us, and penalty misses happen. But that miss is a contributing factor to our loss more than me pointing out some statistics that give our previously unbeaten home record some context. Keep up.

Read your post again and you categorically said that you think Phillips should “possibly” take the blame. Yes it was a mistake, but what’s to say Songo’o’s sending off wouldn’t have lost us the game anyway?
RapidShrimp

Postby Slanester » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:55 pm

Both the missed penalty, and the sending off were key moments in a game we lost, narrowly. Some pre-written, well intended facts about our form......absolutely zero relevance to the loss. :roll:
Slanester

Return to General Discussion