FA Cup fundraising

FA Cup fundraising

Postby tim-sanchez » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Did Morecambe miss a trick with the FA Cup? Just seen Cheltenham have raised over £30,000, and of course Marine sold over 30,000 tickets bringing in over £300,000. Other than some merchandise that wasn't widely advertised, did the club do anything else I missed?

It feels like an opportunity to have told our story and raised a few funds, with most of these it seems like global Man City/Tottenham fans chipping in. Chelsea also have a huge global fanbase, I'm sure we could have raised a bit of money this way.

I guess the only difference is that it was an away game, but since FA Cup teams split the revenue anyway that shouldn't make a difference.
tim-sanchez

Re: FA Cup fundraising

Postby al1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:27 pm

I think you are right,been thinking this myself.Chorley also did this,not sure how much they raised.But yes I think we missed an opportunity with this!
al1

Postby tim-sanchez » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:57 pm

al1 wrote:I think you are right,been thinking this myself.Chorley also did this,not sure how much they raised.But yes I think we missed an opportunity with this!

Spot on, Chorley sold at least 2,000 tickets, so that's at least £20,000
tim-sanchez

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:19 pm

Both clubs have been clever in the way they have marketed themselves. Marine are lucky to be situated where they are and had support from the likes of Jamie Carragher. The Jose Mourinho playing at Marine was always going to get press. Chorley had the players singing an Adele song all over Social media which became a big story.

They have both done really well to get the publicity and for making so much money from it.
BerlinWaller

Postby RedRedWine » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:20 am

Perhaps we did miss a trick, but I think the narrative behind Marine and Chorley is that they're both non-league. That's what the cup is about in the third round; the minnows against the big boys.... The full time sparks and out of shape fitness instructors host the global superstars earning £millions on their cabbage patch pitch.... A winning formula for broadcasters, pan right to wideshot of terraced houses and chimney stacks for clichéd Hovis bread scene. That kind of mismatch carries the story a lot further in the eyes of the general public IMO.

I know in reality we're a lot closer to the likes of Chorley and Marine in most aspects than we are a Chelsea, but ultimately its still two professional teams... And with Chelsea hosting in their plush West London ground, I think the contrast isn't as blunt... So you're struggling to capture exposure and publicity on the aspects that the media peddle... Dare I say it, we didn't quite tick all the boxes. ;)
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:07 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Dare I say it, we didn't quite tick all the boxes. ;)

Agreed.

Had we come out first, then a home tie would have ticked the boxes. As it is, it was frustrating for us fans that we missed out on our chance to visit a Premiership ground to watch Morecambe, but for everyone else, it was of no real interest.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion