Morecambe 3 [Phillips, Diagouraga, O'Sullivan] Colchester 0

Re: Morecambe 3 [Phillips, Diagouraga, O'Sullivan] Colcheste

Postby Moose » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:44 pm

and yes, I would drop him for a game to make a point. Embarrassing and he should be ashamed.
Moose

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:14 pm

Calling a young lad a tw@t is a bit much don't you think? It happens on every pitch in every league. I don't know if you are upset because your lottery numbers didnt come up or you have been on the Skol but we won 3 nowt. Be happy, we really do have a strange fan base.
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:56 pm

Moose wrote:
Keith wrote:
redrobo wrote:As for the sending off looked to me as it was a reckless challenge by flying in with both feet off the ground.

He wasn't sent off for the tackle, which wasn't even a foul. We restarted the game with a throw in.

Moose wrote:Imagine Conor McGregor taking such a hit... it was face to face at most, come on Keith!

There was head to head contact. Doesn't matter that it was patheticly soft and Cooney deserves an Oscar for his acting, (which I don't like to see), but that's the way 'violent conduct' is interpreted nowadays. Cooney going down (clutching his nose when the contact was forehead to forehead) made the ref's decision easy for him. If I was a Colchester fan, I'd be annoyed with Pell for being stupid rather, than the ref.

Why have you quoted someone else for the first comment? That sending off is making a mockery of the game. Please don't try and justify it! Cooney is a wally for doing that, that is no way a Morecambe player should react. I hate cheats.

I quoted 'redrobo' because I was replying to him. He said [and I quote] "As for the sending off looked to me as it was a reckless challenge by flying in with both feet off the ground". I corrected him, by saying [and I quote] "He wasn't sent off for the tackle, which wasn't even a foul. We restarted the game with a throw in". Had he been sent off for the tackle, we'd have restarted with a free-kick.

I'm not sure why you needed that to be explained?

I then replied to you. I actually said "it was patheticly soft and Cooney deserves an Oscar for his acting, (which I don't like to see)". So I'm hardly "justifying" anything. I was explaining it. Whether you or I like it is completely irrelevant. It is how the Law is being interpreted. We've lost out because we've not 'played the game' in the past. If other clubs get away with 'the dark arts', then we need to join in. How many times [for example] has Cole Stockton been fouled, but because he tries to stay on his feet, we don't get anything? Other teams fall over and they get the penalties etc.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:37 am

Some of these comments about Cooney are a bit bizarre. Just watched it back now - Pell definitely sticks his head in there a little. It's not much, but it never needs to be. Cooney makes it clear to the ref that Pell did stick his head in and hams it up a little, but it's hardly Oscar worthy cheating levels. Especially when you compare it to the reactions that a lot of players would give. He didn't chuck himself on the floor and roll around or anything. It had nothing on Craig Stanley at Wembley!

I think arguably the more 'sly' thing he did was getting in the face of Pell and looking for a reaction. He seemed like an easy target - three fouls in the first 12 minutes of the match, probably wound up going two down after a good first half performance, and while his challenge on Phillips was far it was needlessly forceful. In fairness, though, could also make a case for Cooney sticking up for his mate from Burnley!

Hamming injuries up a bit is naughty, but so are 'reducers', deliberate fouls, overly aggressive play etc. Yes, people shouldn't feign injury, but for me it's no worse morally than kicking and fouling a player to try and intimidate them.
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:49 am

Pell was putting himself about like big lads tend to do. If he was daft enough to take the bait then it is his fault. Footballers try and get an advantage wherever they can and that is the way it should be. It seems like some fans think we should be whiter than white and take the moral high ground but balls to that. Win at all costs for me, employ the dark arts and move on. I have watched us being bullied and falling for the tricks too many times, I am loving the way we shit house teams now.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 am

Have to disagree with Keith but I stand by my opinion that Pell's tackle was classed as dangerous play by the ref and hence the sending off. Slow the actual incident down and it;s two feet off the ground lunging in on Phillips. What happened after is uncalled for but Pell got what he deserved....sending off.

Disagree as much as you like on my opinion....as always I simply do not care..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
redrobo

Postby Slanester » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:36 am

BerlinWaller wrote:Pell was putting himself about like big lads tend to do. If he was daft enough to take the bait then it is his fault. Footballers try and get an advantage wherever they can and that is the way it should be. It seems like some fans think we should be whiter than white and take the moral high ground but balls to that. Win at all costs for me, employ the dark arts and move on. I have watched us being bullied and falling for the tricks too many times, I am loving the way we shit house teams now.

Absolutely. Dark arts!!.....I was willing Songo’o to go in on Pell with a “proper” tackle, and give him what he was due, arrogant 2hat. Cooney, good on him for me.
Slanester

Postby sandgrown » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:51 am

as soon as we stopped playing head tennis with them and kept it on the deck, they couldn't contain us

Phillips awesome as usual, what a find by DA
sandgrown

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:01 pm

redrobo wrote:Have to disagree with Keith but I stand by my opinion that Pell's tackle was classed as dangerous play by the ref and hence the sending off. Slow the actual incident down and it;s two feet off the ground lunging in on Phillips. What happened after is uncalled for but Pell got what he deserved....sending off.

Disagree as much as you like on my opinion....as always I simply do not care..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Explain how we restarted with a throw in if it was a dangerous foul?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:34 pm

Keith wrote:
redrobo wrote:Have to disagree with Keith but I stand by my opinion that Pell's tackle was classed as dangerous play by the ref and hence the sending off. Slow the actual incident down and it;s two feet off the ground lunging in on Phillips. What happened after is uncalled for but Pell got what he deserved....sending off.

Explain how we restarted with a throw in if it was a dangerous foul?

Even BBC said he was dismissed for violent conduct on the text. But clearly the obvious thing as Keith points out is we restarted with a throw in: if he'd been dismissed for the challenge we'd have had a free kick.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby RapidShrimp » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:57 pm

Moose wrote:and yes, I would drop him for a game to make a point. Embarrassing and he should be ashamed.

You should be ashamed of your comments. What a joke you are. Their lad threw his head towards Ryan and got a red for it. That’s the law, and many opposition players have done it against us. Get a bloody grip.

The tackle was hard, but fair, in my opinion.
RapidShrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm

RapidShrimp wrote:
Moose wrote:and yes, I would drop him for a game to make a point. Embarrassing and he should be ashamed.

You should be ashamed of your comments. What a joke you are. Their lad threw his head towards Ryan and got a red for it. That’s the law, and many opposition players have done it against us. Get a bloody grip.

The tackle was hard, but fair, in my opinion.

Spot on RS, hopefully this wally will be apologising to Ryan for his joke of a post. Still baffles me. We won 3 nowt but a "fan" comes on a forum and singles out a player like that with that kind of language.
BerlinWaller

Postby BHmfc » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:41 pm

My take on it, for what it's worth, is that Pell dived into Philips with no control, took both his legs at speed and should have received a straight red for this challenge, it was a possible leg breaker and I've seen red cards given for less. As for Cooney, it's great to see a player with passion sticking up for his team-mate, he knew that challenge was over the top . Pell then pushed his head into Cooney's face, Cooney didn't retaliate, he didn't fall to the floor and roll over 20 times he simply walked away holding his nose. Any criticism towards Cooney is totally unjustified. As for the game, not our best performance this season but 3 great goals and 3 points that takes us back into the play off positions. King Derek, what a breath of fresh air.
BHmfc

Postby MfcChris » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:26 pm

But your opinion of facts is nearly always wrong
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby redrobo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:34 pm

MfcChris wrote:

It's always about opinions...some agree that Pell dived into Phillips...but wouldn't expect you to agree with me.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
redrobo

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:05 pm

redrobo wrote:
MfcChris wrote:

It's always about opinions...some agree that Pell dived into Phillips...but wouldn't expect you to agree with me.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Neil, are you related to Donald Trump? If he was sent off for a foul, WHERE WAS OUR FREE KICK?
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:32 am

Phil Anderer wrote:
Neil, are you related to Donald Trump? If he was sent off for a foul, WHERE WAS OUR FREE KICK?

A throw-in for serious foul play dismissal is perfectly reasonable, didn't you know that!?! :lol:

The Pell red card was for violent conduct, as evidenced by the throw-in that followed it - the tackle itself was firm but fair.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Can we all please tone down the personal comments, in all directions before the naughty-step comes out. Thanks.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:46 pm

Keith wrote:Can we all please tone down the personal comments, in all directions before the naughty-step comes out. Thanks.

Apologies Keith (and you Neil), it was just the persistent denial of the obvious truth in order to cling on to a personal fantasy of what happened that was getting to me a little, and I haven't even got alcohol as an excuse. :oops:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby redrobo » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:37 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:
Keith wrote:Can we all please tone down the personal comments, in all directions before the naughty-step comes out. Thanks.

Apologies Keith (and you Neil), it was just the persistent denial of the obvious truth in order to cling on to a personal fantasy of what happened that was getting to me a little, and I haven't even got alcohol as an excuse. :oops:

No apology necessary.
redrobo

Previous

Return to General Discussion