O/T Local Council Scam?

O/T Local Council Scam?

Postby redrobo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:20 pm

My mother in law has received a demand in writing from the Directorate of Communities and the Environment of Lancaster City Council.

It's for payment of Garden Waste Collection on a yearly contract.

Our concern is that it is NOT on Council headed paper and whilst it may be genuine I would have expected anything from a Council department should have been on Council headed paper.

I rang the council and got short shift from the person who was not at all helpful and couldn't confirm if the letter was genuine or not.

Maybe some of SVers have received a similar demand and are as concerned that it could be yet another scam. Of course it could be genuine and our concerns are misplaced.

:? :? :?
Last edited by redrobo on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrobo

Re: O/T Local Council Scam?

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 pm

redrobo wrote:My mother in law has received a demand in writing from the Directorate of Communities and the Environment of Lancaster City Council.

It's for payment of Garden Waste Collection on a yearly contract.

Our concern is that it is NOT on Council headed paper and whilst it may be genuine I would have expected anything from a Council department should have been on Council headed paper.

I rang the council and got short shift from the person who was not at all helpful and couldn't confirm if the letter was genuine or not.

Maybe some of SVers have received a similar demand and are as concerned that it could be yet another scam. Of course it could be genuine and are concerns are misplaced.

:? :? :?

I got the same letter as you today up at Higher Heysham and my mother also received the same letter in Heysham Central. We both subscribed to it last year so I thought it would be just to renew ready for the 1st April. I will hold fire before paying just in case.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Lonesome Prawn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm

The garden waste collection service has been chargeable for about 3 years now - you can do it online....

https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/bins-recyc ... collection
Lonesome Prawn

Postby redrobo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Lonesome Prawn wrote:The garden waste collection service has been chargeable for about 3 years now - you can do it online....

https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/bins-recyc ... collection

They ask for payment on line which drew our concerns about it being yet ANOTHER scam particularly when not on Council headed paper.

:!:
redrobo

Postby Lonesome Prawn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:53 pm

I haven’t seen the letter so I can’t comment on whether it’s kosher or not!

I do my renewal each year by going in through the Lancaster City Council main website and then following the link on the main page through to bins & recycling.

Just obviously don’t respond by clicking on any links posted in an email or text.
Lonesome Prawn

Postby morecambegeek » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:38 pm

A paper letter Directing you to the council website to make a payment screams scam.
morecambegeek

Postby redrobo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:47 pm

morecambegeek wrote:A paper letter Directing you to the council website to make a payment screams scam.

Exactly hence why I posted this message.

What amazed me was the response from the Council was unhelpful to say the least....it appears that I'm the first to question the letter and was made to feel like a 'trouble maker'.....WHO ME.... :o :o :o
redrobo

Postby morecambegeek » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:08 pm

What scam do you think they're trying to pull exactly?
morecambegeek

Postby Bare bum » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:39 am

morecambegeek wrote:What scam do you think they're trying to pull exactly?

The possibilities are endless. This week on our bin collection day I heard the bin lorry outside and went to check on them. Well, although it was a Lancaster City Council vehicle two of the operatives were not wearing City Council all weather jackets. I acted quickly and moved my bin back into the drive and concealed it with brush wood. Luckily I got away with it and my bin was not scammed. When I phoned the council they were less than sympathetic. But my rubbish will not end up on ebay. It pays to be vigilant on these matters.

Anybody know if the tip is open?
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby captain sparkle » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:15 pm

It's definitely a scam!
Having to pay extra to have your waste taken away? the very idea!!
last time I paid I had 8 collections of green waste that year, that's £5 a pop in new money!
That's a scam if ever there was one!! :?
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.6 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 am

Im happy to say i took a 55" tv, 2 monitors, an ice machine and a fax machine to the tip without a problem
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby thedoc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:32 am

[quote="redrobo": What amazed me was the response from the Council was unhelpful to say the least..quote]

I rang the council's Parking Services recently. I was half expecting the woman I spoke there to break into German - it was like talking to the bloody Gestapo!
thedoc

Return to General Discussion