Jake Turner recalled

Jake Turner recalled

Postby Screenster » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:13 pm

https://twitter.com/ShrimpsOfficial/sta ... 1188848646

Makes sense to me, Halstead looks to be number 1. Wouldn't mind us signing another keeper though.
Screenster

Re: Jake Turner recalled

Postby tim-sanchez » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:50 pm

Agreed, this makes sense. Better to sign someone who is happy to be #2, clearly Turner expected to start but just wasn't good enough.
tim-sanchez

Postby Caton83 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:39 pm

I wonder If Halstead will stay as no'1, given that DA has twice replaced him with Turner and Mafoumbi. Bet we get a new first choice with Mark out of contract this summer.
Caton83

Postby Slanester » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 pm

Caton83 wrote:I wonder If Halstead will stay as no'1, given that DA has twice replaced him with Turner and Mafoumbi. Bet we get a new first choice with Mark out of contract this summer.

I for one, really hope he does, but time will tell how DA views him.
Slanester

Postby redrobo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Both myself and Gone Shrimping posted after he was substituted that he would be back at the Toon in January.

In my case I expected US to call time, whereas GS expected quite correctly for Newcastle to recall him.

Interestingly Newcastle have also recalled 2 other loanees at other clubs (Accrington and Tranmere) having exercised their recall options on at least one of them.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jake is on his travels again for the rest of the season possibly to a National League side.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news ... under-23s/

:?: :?: :?:

As for bringing in a new keeper I'd like to see us sign Baz as a temporary stop gap as we did with Lee under JB's reign when we faced a similar situation. Money saved could go then to another outfield player.

Last edited by redrobo on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrobo

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:44 pm

Thought he looked promising initially, but I think his big let downs turned out to be it didn't feel like he was particularly difficult to beat with a half decent shot, and a number of breakdowns in communication between him and our defenders.

Halstead isn't the perfect keeper and can be a bit erratic, but he has got some spectacular stops in him and his dealing with crosses of late has been solid. Seems a lot clearer in his communication with our backline too.
Little Shrimp

Postby Slanester » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:08 pm

redrobo wrote:
As for bringing in a new keeper I'd like to see us sign Baz as a temporary stop gap as we did with Lee under JB's reign when we faced a similar situation. Money saved could go then to another outfield player.

:o :o My lad was training with the big fella during the period they were allowed. I think you might just want to review that rr.( Pie emoji) :lol: He wouldn’t mind me saying I’m sure.(Sorry Barry.)
Slanester

Postby Andy D » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:27 pm

sure you can make an emergency loan signing anytime anyway.
Andy D

Postby Screenster » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:28 pm

redrobo wrote:

I have to disagree with you here. Baz is our GK coach and I don't forsee him coming out of retirement barring a freakish injury crisis. I wouldn't mind another young loanee to provide competition until the end of the season, then we can look again at the GK situation in the summer.

I think sometimes we forget that Turner did have a few decent games, Grimsby in the League Cup being one of them, but the mistake against Solihull was the final straw.
Screenster

Postby RedRedWine » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm

Everything seemed to turn quickly for Jake in the eyes of the baseless flip-floppers (available from Clark's) on here. One minute he was our best keeper - far superior to Mark, the next he wasn't up to scratch and should be sent back. The reality is that he is somewhere in the middle - a young keeper learning his trade and trying to polish his craft. Hopefully he got a lot out the loan experience, and feels that it was a worthwhile experience. Good luck to him.

For me it was always close decision between Mark and Jake as first choice, I sided with Mark because he was our player - and I didn't see a huge upgrade in quality if at all. In reality the goalkeeping position, IMO, is the weakest area of the team atm - which should be a priority to rectify. That's not to say Mark is not good enough, merely that if you look at our squad as a whole we are short in this area; at the very least Mark needs credible competition for his spot. Within a small squad, this is something Derek has championed so far during his successful spell at the club.

The idea that Barry will be coming out of retirement seems fairly baseless to me, given one of the first things Derek did when he arrived was effectively inform Roche that he wasn't in his plans going forward. We'll utilise the emergency loan market if we must, but I envisage we'll have another first team keeper on the books before too long.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby redrobo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:01 pm

Like everything in life we all have our thoughts and opinions that certainly on here are always subject to comment and long may that continue. ;)

With regards to my thinking re Baz i wasn't suggesting for one minute that he should replace Mark. However why spend a wage on another keeper as back up to Mark when we could in an emergency call on Baz if needed. JB did exactly the same when we registered Lee as a back up keeper.

IF we needed a long term replacement for Mark ie due to an injury there are numerous keepers we could bring in on an emergency loan.

I simply do not see the point in bringing someone in now to play second fiddle to Mark for the remainder of this season. Others will see it otherwise....no problem.

However DA will quite rightly do what is best for the squad and quite rightly so. If he decides we need another keeper..the so be it... :)
redrobo

Postby Slanester » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Everything seemed to turn quickly for Jake in the eyes of the baseless flip-floppers (available from Clark's) on here.

:lol: Made me laugh that quote. A bit harsh?? Maybe you should get yourself a glass of RRW S :?:
Slanester

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm

Alex can do it, at least he might get on the pitch that way, sit on the bench with 2 shirts
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Caton83 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Any news on the rumour mill for the new GK ?
Caton83

Postby redrobo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Caton83 wrote:Any news on the rumour mill for the new GK ?

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/spo ... it-3100555

Update from DA.
redrobo

Postby redrobo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:34 pm

Wonder if there is an outstanding goalkeeping prospect in the lower leagues ie below Level 3 who could benefit from a period of F/T Training with our excellent goalkeeping coach.

Some are possibly out of work and could possibly jump at the opportunity....

Maybe worth a look.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby CityShrimp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:48 pm

I agree that Jake was broadly on a par with Mark, and I’d prefer Mark because he’s ‘our’ player.

Jake certainly wasn’t a bad keeper and did alright for us. Good luck to him.
CityShrimp

Return to General Discussion