O/T To mask or not to mask?

O/T To mask or not to mask?

Postby redrobo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:31 pm

I wonder what others feel about the issue of wearing face masks at ALL times when outside mingling with others in an attempt to reduce the chances of the virus spreading... :?: :?: :?:

Both my wife and I now wear face masks whenever we are out in public. In my case to mitigate the risk of infection as I am an asthma sufferer.

My concern about the spread of the virus was highlighted during a visit to Sainsbury's Petrol Station last Thursday when the guy filling his car adjacent to where I was doing the same suddenly started to sneeze quite violently. Fortunately I was wearing a face mask BUT the guy filling his car with petrol was not. He was less than 3 meters away from me and to be honest if I had not been wearing a face mask the chances of being in the firing line of the effects of his sneezing were quite considerable.

It's examples such as this and the apparent reluctance to adhere to social distancing advice that we all need to address as a matter of urgency otherwise the spread of the virus is going to get out of control and could have serious and tragic repercussions on each of us and our loved ones.

Your thoughts and observations on this highly emotive topic would be welcome. In particular your thoughts on the issue of social distancing which appear to be neglected by the majority of people when in public.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: O/T To mask or not to mask?

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:22 pm

I was under the impression that the wearing a mask/face covering was to protect others from any virus the wearer may exhale rather than protecting the wearer.

I may be wrong though, thoughts?
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:I was under the impression that the wearing a mask/face covering was to protect others from any virus the wearer may exhale rather than protecting the wearer.

You're pretty much right there. A mask gives a small amount of protection to the wearer, but it's primary function is to protect others from the wearer. I am frankly quite infuriated at Dithering Doris and the public school pinheads (good band name though ;) ). We have a significantly more transmissible virus, a substantially more overwhelmed NHS, and significantly lower adherence to the rules than in spring, yet we have a materially lighter lockdown. We need more stringent rules. Mrs A, like Neil, is an asthma sufferer, so we are very conscious of distancing etc. Last week whilst out walking I asked a woman to give us a little more room to pass safely, but according to her 'life's too short' to step 3 feet to one side! As I said to her her life will be a lot shorter with that attitude.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby redrobo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:52 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:
Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:I was under the impression that the wearing a mask/face covering was to protect others from any virus the wearer may exhale rather than protecting the wearer.

You're pretty much right there. A mask gives a small amount of protection to the wearer, but it's primary function is to protect others from the wearer. I am frankly quite infuriated at Dithering Doris and the public school pinheads (good band name though ;) ). We have a significantly more transmissible virus, a substantially more overwhelmed NHS, and significantly lower adherence to the rules than in spring, yet we have a materially lighter lockdown. We need more stringent rules. Mrs A, like Neil, is an asthma sufferer, so we are very conscious of distancing etc. Last week whilst out walking I asked a woman to give us a little more room to pass safely, but according to her 'life's too short' to step 3 feet to one side! As I said to her her life will be a lot shorter with that attitude.

Wonder if it is the same person who we challenged in Morrisons during the first lock down about not wearing a mask and suggesting that she may be health risk to others. :?: :?: :?:

The outburst of abuse we got back was worse then I've heard at many football matches over the past decades. :o What surprised us was that the store security didn't seem to mind that she and others at the time wandered about the store coughing and spluttering potentially passing their outpourings amongst other store users.
redrobo

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 pm

I wear a mask pretty much at all times now. Similar to your experience, you just never know when you're walking past someone you might suddenly burst into a cough or sneeze. Or it might be myself! There's no harm in wearing a mask even if it only gives 1% better protection, I'll do what I can to prevent the spread.
tim-sanchez

Postby Born again Bill » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:I wear a mask pretty much at all times now. Similar to your experience, you just never know when you're walking past someone you might suddenly burst into a cough or sneeze. Or it might be myself! There's no harm in wearing a mask even if it only gives 1% better protection, I'll do what I can to prevent the spread.

It doesn’t help when you can go on line and for a few quid you can get an official looking badge saying you are exempt from wearing a mask . I know some one who has bought one , in his words “ I’m not wearing one of those bloody things “ !, this is a bloke mid 70s with underlying health problems . What a hero !!!
Born again Bill

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:55 pm

If true, congratulations to Morrison's who, according to my wife, have just announced, 'no face covering, no entry'. This is one thing I have said all along for public indoor area's. As for outdoors, I don't, but never criticise anybody who does. As long as we have sense, and keep our distance we 'should' stay safe.
jbc.shrimp

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:53 pm

Born again Bill wrote:
tim-sanchez wrote:I wear a mask pretty much at all times now. Similar to your experience, you just never know when you're walking past someone you might suddenly burst into a cough or sneeze. Or it might be myself! There's no harm in wearing a mask even if it only gives 1% better protection, I'll do what I can to prevent the spread.

It doesn’t help when you can go on line and for a few quid you can get an official looking badge saying you are exempt from wearing a mask . I know some one who has bought one , in his words “ I’m not wearing one of those bloody things “ !, this is a bloke mid 70s with underlying health problems . What a hero !!!

Unless I’m missing some sarcasm (which is very possible considering this sensitive debate), it should be “What an Idiot” not a “hero” :roll:

I echo the message from jbc - although this should’ve been happened months ago!
RapidShrimp

Postby Born again Bill » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:57 pm

It doesn’t help when you can go on line and for a few quid you can get an official looking badge saying you are exempt from wearing a mask . I know some one who has bought one , in his words “ I’m not wearing one of those bloody things “ !, this is a bloke mid 70s with underlying health problems . What a hero !!![/quote]

Unless I’m missing some sarcasm (which is very possible considering this sensitive debate), it should be “What an Idiot” not a “hero” :roll:

It was sarcasm , maybe should have swapped hero for Dickhead ! , mind you these websites should not be allowed to sell them
Born again Bill

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 am

Is there any proof that wearing a soggy cloth or tissue actually stops the spread of the virus? If we were walking around in surgical standard equipment then I would be all for it but cloths and tissue that you stick in your glove box or pocket when not in use can't be up to much.
BerlinWaller

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 am

Phil Anderer wrote: according to her 'life's too short' to step 3 feet to one side!

Could be a 3 metre rule before long
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:05 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Is there any proof that wearing a soggy cloth or tissue actually stops the spread of the virus? If we were walking around in surgical standard equipment then I would be all for it but cloths and tissue that you stick in your glove box or pocket when not in use can't be up to much.

A soggy cloth?? Methinks you should be replacing/laundering your mask a little more regularly.

Turning your question around, is there any proof that they don’t help prevent spread?
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:47 pm

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Is there any proof that wearing a soggy cloth or tissue actually stops the spread of the virus? If we were walking around in surgical standard equipment then I would be all for it but cloths and tissue that you stick in your glove box or pocket when not in use can't be up to much.

A soggy cloth?? Methinks you should be replacing/laundering your mask a little more regularly.

Turning your question around, is there any proof that they don’t help prevent spread?

I've seen videos online which are pretty conclusive over the benefits of even a cloth mask. They cut an awful lot, i.e. the majority, of the spray that comes out of your mouth when speaking or coughing.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:55 pm

Also make sure you take Vitamin D there was scientific evidence right from the start that it helped and our government just ignored it until recently.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:42 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Also make sure you take Vitamin D there was scientific evidence right from the start that it helped and our government just ignored it until recently.

Get outside when the sun's shining, although if you're BAME this won't work as well, as for some reason darker skin tones inhibit the absorption of Vitamin D (and may in part be responsible for the higher risk in those communities). Obviously this time of year supplements help everyone due to the shorter days.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby redrobo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:57 pm

It should now be written in law that everybody with no exceptions should wear a mask when in public and if those who are unable to for medical reasons than they shouldn't be out and about in the first place as they will be endangering not only their own life but that of others putting even more strain on our overworked but excellent NHS.

They should make use of neighbours, family or even on line for shopping.

It's time to get tough. Too many are flouting the suggested rules and those suggestions should now be made law and if any one breaks the law they should be fined.

That type of action will not be popular BUT we have to get a hold of the current situation and if that means encroaching on ones liberty then so be it.

I realise that the above will not be greeted with 100% approval but it's time that everybody with no exceptions took responsibility for defeating this horrible virus if we don't then the number of deaths will increase day on day until it becomes uncontrollable.
redrobo

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:06 pm

If Dithering Doris did the decent thing and imposed a proper lockdown it'd make life easier. At least the police are going to get tougher, but with vague rules on exercise people are generating their own excuses, knowing they're seriously bending, if not actually breaking, the rules. Doris's cycling trip Sunday hasn't helped.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:52 pm

redrobo wrote:It should now be written in law that everybody with no exceptions should wear a mask when in public and if those who are unable to for medical reasons than they shouldn't be out and about in the first place as they will be endangering not only their own life but that of others putting even more strain on our overworked but excellent NHS.

It's time to get tough. Too many are flouting the suggested rules and those suggestions should now be made law and if any one breaks the law they should be fined.

That type of action will not be popular BUT we have to get a hold of the current situation and if that means encroaching on ones liberty then so be it.

I realise that the above will not be greeted with 100% approval but it's time that everybody with no exceptions took responsibility for defeating this horrible virus if we don't then the number of deaths will increase day on day until it becomes uncontrollable.

What about people with Asthma or anxiety about wearing a mask? It is about as fair as asking you to touch your toes before you enter a shop.

Whitty and his mates went to great lengths to point out that there is very little science to back up mask wearing last year. It is all over youtube, have a look. At what point has the mask wearing had an impact on the infection rate? Why has there been 2 lockdowns since we started masks? I get people wanting to wear them, just like i understand why people don't get on planes but arming people to confront others is crazy.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:07 pm

redrobo wrote: but it's time that everybody with no exceptions took responsibility for defeating this horrible virus if we don't then the number of deaths will increase day on day until it becomes uncontrollable.

I suspect 10.6 million key workers, would agree, and would also like to be part of that statement. Unfortunately they are “obliged.”

YES, I do follow the guidelines.
Slanester

Postby shrimp in cyprus » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:45 pm

Living over here in North Cyprus, I continue to be totally amazed at the "slackness" being shown in the UK. Over here we have been wearing masks in public places (and most certainly all supermarkets, shops and offices) since last April. Also virtually all supermarkets have an automatic temperature checker which everybody entering has to be checked by (any high temperatures and the person is refused entry and recommended to go straight to hospital for checks). The use of hand sanitizer and disposable polythene gloves is also commonplace over here.

OK...............but does it work I hear the skeptics saying.

Well, we do get more (much more) sunshine, so Vitamin D is not an issue; we do not tend to congregate in such large numbers as happens in the cities of the UK; the police do tend to be somewhat stricter (but not always); BUT - if the percentage of the population here that has died from this virus were to be applied (as the same percentage of population) to the UK, then the UK would currently have had a total (since this thing began) of around 1100 deaths!!!

Not much more to add to this except, I do remember when I was a kid back in Heysham, I used to regularly hear........... COUGHS AND SNEEZES SPREAD DISEASES; TRAP YOUR GERMS IN HANDKERCHIEVSES. So, nothing really new then is it.

STAY SAFE AND KEEP WELL to all SVers whatever their thoughts and opinions.
The wine and the football seem better in the sunshine!!
shrimp in cyprus

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:46 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
redrobo wrote:It should now be written in law that everybody with no exceptions should wear a mask when in public and if those who are unable to for medical reasons than they shouldn't be out and about in the first place as they will be endangering not only their own life but that of others putting even more strain on our overworked but excellent NHS.

What about people with Asthma or anxiety about wearing a mask? It is about as fair as asking you to touch your toes before you enter a shop.

Whitty and his mates went to great lengths to point out that there is very little science to back up mask wearing last year. It is all over youtube, have a look. At what point has the mask wearing had an impact on the infection rate? Why has there been 2 lockdowns since we started masks? I get people wanting to wear them, just like i understand why people don't get on planes but arming people to confront others is crazy.

Early doors the science on masks wasn't clear, hence no mask mandate last spring. As the science surrounding the virus grew, so the mask mandate came in as it was deemed highly likely to reduce spread: after all, ask Chris Whitty now and I'm sure he'll tell you masks do help, but only if the majority wear them. I do however totally agree with you about not locking up those who can't. Many of them, such as severe asthmatics, are going to be high risk anyway, so they need to make their own decisions as to how safe they feel, but you can't reasonably order them to stay home if they need shopping, for example, while severe anxiety usually benefits from fresh air, so those people need to be able to get out and exercise. Maybe Neil should move to China, where currently it seems if one person sneezes a whole city gets locked down.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:01 pm

I get what you are saying about new evidence PA but wearing a mask isn't a new concept is it? Why haven't we worn them every flu season or in big cities where the air is heavily polluted? If we were wearing masks used in operating theatres or in labs then i would see the point but we aren't. Sue down the road is knocking them up out of old socks and people are just wrapping scarves around their faces. Just do as you always have done, it is amazing how we have survived this long without wrapping old socks around our faces.
BerlinWaller

Postby morecambegeek » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:44 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:

I assume you're talking about this video.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1235 ... 02?lang=en

As with the last time you made similar comments, and I posted the link to this video, pointing out when he made that statement (3 March 2020 according to the link) the number of infected people in the UK was tiny. As masks protect those around the wearer from the wearer, his advice would be different now, given the massive difference in asymptomatic carriers.

Wearing a mask if you don't have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all.

Of course, more than happy to be corrected with a link to other statements where he contradicts this.

And whilst some people are exempt from wearing a mask, those who are exempt would do to remember they are not exempt from physical distancing. Many I see don't seem to be taking this into account.
morecambegeek

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:56 pm

shrimp in cyprus wrote:Living over here in North Cyprus, I continue to be totally amazed at the "slackness" being shown in the UK. Over here we have been wearing masks in public places (and most certainly all supermarkets, shops and offices) since last April. Also virtually all supermarkets have an automatic temperature checker which everybody entering has to be checked by (any high temperatures and the person is refused entry and recommended to go straight to hospital for checks). The use of hand sanitizer and disposable polythene gloves is also commonplace over here.

OK...............but does it work I hear the skeptics saying.

Well, we do get more (much more) sunshine, so Vitamin D is not an issue; we do not tend to congregate in such large numbers as happens in the cities of the UK; the police do tend to be somewhat stricter (but not always); BUT - if the percentage of the population here that has died from this virus were to be applied (as the same percentage of population) to the UK, then the UK would currently have had a total (since this thing began) of around 1100 deaths!!!

Not much more to add to this except, I do remember when I was a kid back in Heysham, I used to regularly hear........... COUGHS AND SNEEZES SPREAD DISEASES; TRAP YOUR GERMS IN HANDKERCHIEVSES. So, nothing really new then is it.

STAY SAFE AND KEEP WELL to all SVers whatever their thoughts and opinions.

Sounds like either you're better organized over there or simply more willing to follow advice/rules. One thing I'm far from convinced over is gloves. You can't absorb the virus through the skin, but you can transfer it to your face or other places with your hands, whether or not you're wearing gloves - washing or sanitizing your hands is better than wearing gloves, especially if they give you a false sense of security
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby skyecat » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:11 pm

I am a mask wearer - always in shops and when ever I feel the situation would be better for me wearing one (chatting with someone on the street, answering the door etc).
Do they stop the spread - probably not. Do they reduce the spread, more than likely.
If the person I was near was also wearing one, would the potential risk be reduced further - almost definitely.
I too am an asthma sufferer - granted, I am fortunate that my attack are few and far between, but still carry an inhaler around with me.
I played walking football until the recent lock down...whilst wearing a mask - the only discomfort / annoyance, was when it slipped down, or when it rose up a little, especially when I had the ball, as it could occasionally restrict my vision...that's my excuse anyway!
The amount of posts I'm reading in MSM social feeds which oppose the wearing of masks and cite civil liberties or whatever, indicates to me that this thing will be around for a good while yet.
People ask "why should I" then get given good few reasons, but then decline the information and carry on not wearing one anyway.
This country has got a fair way to go with regards to the appreciation of others' situations and risks (IMO).
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Next

Return to General Discussion