Chelsea 4 Morecambe 0 LIVE thread

Re: Chelsea 4 Morecambe 0 LIVE thread

Postby 1953 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:01 pm

I stand corrected -----I remember the Weymouth game well---we would have played PNE had we won that one---and hadn't realised that would have put us into the 4th round.!!! Well spotted RED
Last edited by 1953 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 pm

1953 wrote:I stand corrected -----I remember the Weymouth game well---we would have played PNE had we won that one---and hadn't realised that would have put us into the 4th round.!!!

John is still fuming about the Weymouth game.
BerlinWaller

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Well so much for Frank blooding youth players alongside fringe players. Today he paid us the ultimate compliment by selecting a top side full of internationals.

Proud of all of them today, no one let us down.

Back to the real action now. Hopefully we can pick up with the level of form we had before the enforced break with a trick game at Orient.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:32 pm

Good resilient performance. Nothing like the shambles against Newcastle, and I thought that overall we did ourselves proud.

Shame we couldn't show a bit more on the ball, although had a couple of good moments in the first half. Had Phillips's shot (definitely not a cross knowing him!) gone in, it would have been a hell of a game!

Frustrating not to see it out till HT at 1-0 with a lapse in concentration from Cooney on the offside line letting Havertz in. Would have made the second half more interesting as I felt Chelsea were starting to get a bit frustrated despite leading - they hadn't really broken us down and only led initially from a 25 yarder.

I went to watch Man City vs Port Vale with a friend last year at the Etihad, and this game was pretty similar. Both L2 sides parking the bus, defending very stoically but ultimately getting occasionally undone by the high quality of the opponent.

No shame in that result, and a brave performance!
Little Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:46 pm

1953 wrote:I stand corrected -----I remember the Weymouth game well---we would have played PNE had we won that one---and hadn't realised that would have put us into the 4th round.!!! Well spotted RED

There were only two non-league sides in the Third Round that season. Typical that we drew the only other non-league side!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby black morse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:29 pm

Great to see how well our defence kept their formation against top class opposition. Result was never in doubt but well done DA and the lads. You made us all proud. :D
black morse

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 pm

I thought we sat back a bit to much and think we should have jumped in a bit more. I understand it's tricky though you dont want to jump in miss a tackle and they are past you.

I though Marine attacked spurs in the first 20mins than we did to Chelsea.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 am

P/T Indie wrote:I thought we sat back a bit to much and think we should have jumped in a bit more. I understand it's tricky though you dont want to jump in miss a tackle and they are past you.

To be fair, it looked like we were going to get to half time at 1-0. We'd limited Chelsea to very few opportunities, while they had caught one on the goal-line, so on another day, it could have been 1-1 at halftime.

4-0 was a fair reflection of the game, but we accounted well for ourselves. If we'd gone hung-ho and lost 6-0 people would have complained that we should have kept it tighter!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:27 pm

I suspect a lot of DA's pre match plans went out of the window when he saw their line up. In fact he commented in a post match interview that he was surprised at the quality of the team they put out.

I also suspect that his H/T team talk was ruined by the late 2nd goal just a minute or so to go before H/T.

Whatever, I'm still proud of the way our lads played but like a few others would have liked us to be a bit more adventurous in the final 45 especially when we had gone 3 down so early in the final 45.

Maybe if they had played a bunch of under 23's and development players as per Leeds then we would have been sharing if not heading the back page headlines with Crawley.

:D :D :D
redrobo

Postby Slanester » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:41 pm

Keith wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:I thought we sat back a bit to much and think we should have jumped in a bit more. I understand it's tricky though you dont want to jump in miss a tackle and they are past you.

If we'd gone hung-ho and lost 6-0 people would have complained that we should have kept it tighter!

If we had tried to “play” against that starting 11, it would have ended up, with our Newcastle score line looking respectable.(IMO) There are a couple of Prem teams that would have approached that game, with pretty much the same game plan.
At 3-0, as others have said, it would have been nice to see the lads “released,” for their sakes, as much as anything, but until the 2nd goal, Plan A was holding up well. Roll on Orient.
Last edited by Slanester on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slanester

Postby CityShrimp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm

A good effort from the lads against a top top side. Bearing in mind we had no fans there and it was away at Stamford Bridge, I think we did well.

Shame we didn’t offer more going forward but it must be hard having to do nothing but defend and then come up with an effective counter attack when you’ve not touched the ball for nearly 10 minutes.

Just hope we get another chance to play this sort of tie again with fans there.
CityShrimp

Postby Shrimp Girl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:07 pm

What a great photo of Cole and Rudiger fronting the OWS highlights. Needs to go up in JBs next to the Jimbo/Sol picture.
Shrimp Girl

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:13 pm

How many "firsts" were there yesterday for us? For example, when Giroud came on was that the first time Morecambe played against a World Cup winner?
tim-sanchez

Previous

Return to General Discussion