o/t European Super League

Re: o/t European Super League

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm

The Chairman of Real Madrid claimed that the move was to develop the game throughout the world but did accept that it was finance driven as clubs like his are loosing money. :roll:

The chairman of Real Madrid needs to find £400million to pay of his clubs debt, that's what all this is about. The big clubs have overspent and now they need to find some extra cash.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:40 pm

Some of those fans standing outside stadiums with placards are 30 years too late. What did they think that the Premier League and the change of the European Cup from a knockout competition into a "Champions League" were created for ? It was a money-making operation , pure and simple.

The horse has bolted , too late to shut the door !
Last edited by Gone_Shrimping on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pm

Real Madrid are owned by the Spanish Government and the last time they needed money, they just sold their training ground for enough to cover the debt and rented it back for a pittance.

https://www.theversed.com/32754/real-ma ... overnment/
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Would those home based fans who are very understandably critical still turn up at home based games for the team they currently support..... :?: :?: :?:

Some may object but when shove comes to push what's the betting that they will continue to attend games home and away.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:04 pm

The 'no relegation' model works in the USA in American Football & basketball, so the American owners understand that.

The Asian/Chinese/Middle Eastern 'fans' will only ever watch a game on TV. They don't want the team they support to face relegation because outside the top teams, they don't know 'football' exists. When we were in Egypt, all Egyptians were Liverpool 'fans' because of Mo Salah, with a smattering of Man Utd or Man City fans and very occasionally, Barcelona or Real Madrid. We told a few people that Elaine supported another Premiership team, 'Burnley'. Most had no idea who Burnley were despite 'their' team playing Burnley twice each season. If 'their' team got relegated, I doubt if Luton, Wycombe or Rotherham would attract much attention. So no relegation suits them too.

TV audiences in far away countries will make it work.

Real fans of those clubs are insignificant & irrelevant. If any of them believe 'their club' cares about them, they are deluded.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Born again Bill » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:03 pm

Now looking like the big 5 as Chelsea prepare to pull out :lol: :lol: :lol:
Born again Bill

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Born again Bill wrote:Now looking like the big 5 as Chelsea prepare to pull out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chel$ki & Shitty both trying to pull out but they've already signed contracts - :oops: :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Ed Woodward has fallen on his sword
BerlinWaller

Postby halfwayprawn » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:14 pm

What are the consequences for these teams? should they be banned for at least 1 season resulting in relegation or kicked out of the leagues altogether.
halfwayprawn

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:58 pm

All 6 teams are now going through the withdrawal process, having signed contracts I wonder just how much the owners will be hit in the pockets
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Screenster » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:49 pm

marky No.1 wrote:All 6 teams are now going through the withdrawal process, having signed contracts I wonder just how much the owners will be hit in the pockets

I don't believe any contracts have been signed, personally. It would not surprise me if this was just a smokescreen for the clubs to put pressure on UEFA over the Champions League reforms.
Screenster

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:52 pm

I wouldn't have thought they would have announced it before the deal was sealed
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:58 am

It hasn't gone away, that was just the opening offer. They will all be back demanding something else in the near future, they were just testing the water with the ESL.
BerlinWaller

Postby Screenster » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 am

BerlinWaller wrote:It hasn't gone away, that was just the opening offer. They will all be back demanding something else in the near future, they were just testing the water with the ESL.

That's my hunch too. We as fans can't allow them to try anything like this again.
Screenster

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:35 am

They will be pushing for the demise of FFP or wanting to be able to negotiate their own TV rights deals. UEFA and the PL will have to welcome them back because their product is weaker without them. This sort of problem won't be exclusive to football as we come out of the pandemic.
BerlinWaller

Previous

Return to General Discussion