o/t European Super League

o/t European Super League

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:24 pm

BBC poll.... I was voting up nearly every comment I read!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55159249
Alan

Re: o/t European Super League

Postby Freez » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:12 am

A super league in Europe isn’t about football, it’s about greed and maximising profit, they can sod off and disappear up their own bank balances for me, and that does include Chelsea yes. :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:23 am

It has always been on the cards since they changed the format from the European cup to the Champions League.
BerlinWaller

Postby Alan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:31 am

The article is not the main focus of my post, it is the comments (at the bottom) and passion for our domestic football from over 1800 fans. Most of them, like Freez above put affection for the English game
before the support of their own team.
Alan

Postby halfwayprawn » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Once these greedy clubs start playing all over the world, spare a thought for the supporters of these parasites who have followed and paid out good money and made the history to get right shafted by the likes of greedy owners .Get rid of the premiership and lets have the 72 EFL clubs plus the conference getting our own deal with a tv company
Yes it will be hard for some clubs, but lets get our own rules/regs and have the fans on the board with elections to a new Efl board.
Lets get back to fans football, even get the anglo italion cup back.
halfwayprawn

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:15 am

I'd like to see a cup involving Scottish teams and L1&L2. Every time a Scottish club has come to play us in a friendly, their fans have been brilliant.
BerlinWaller

Postby Screenster » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:15 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:I'd like to see a cup involving Scottish teams and L1&L2. Every time a Scottish club has come to play us in a friendly, their fans have been brilliant.

There used to be something called the Scottish Challenge Cup that was similar to this, a few teams from the other home nations were invited to play in it.
Screenster

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:45 pm

It's all kicking off with UEFA and European Leagues after 12 teams sign up to a Super League.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2109307
https://twitter.com/SquawkaNews/status/ ... 44610?s=19

A new 5 year contract for Derek and we will be knocking on the door!
BerlinWaller

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:07 pm

Hope we get a statement from the club soon saying we won't join it, leave that for the likes of Salford and Forest Green to join
tim-sanchez

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:13 pm

BerlinWaller

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:20 pm

Interesting no German clubs have signed up prob because they arw nearly all fan owned.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Freez » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:34 pm

Yep, all German clubs must be 49% fan owned. Good for them.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby AndyReifman » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:46 pm

Incredibly disappointing news.

I know a lot of Arsenal fans are quite disgusted with the club (owners) and looking to boycott. Not sure how many will follow through, but hopefully enough to send a message.
AndyReifman

Postby thedoc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:31 am

A lot of people are saying this is just a bargaining chip the already greedy bigger clubs are using to get even more power and money for themselves. I hope it fails. I personally wish we had the same model in this country that they do in Germany. People like the Russian gentlemen at Chelsea and the Americans at Manchester United are a bad thing for the game. Good thing for their own pockets, no doubt. But bad for the rest of us - and the game in general in my view.
thedoc

Postby paulshrimp » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:44 am

The six clubs are owned by four Americans (Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal), one Russian (Chelsea) and a Gulf state (Man City). I have no doubt that they have the best interests of English football at heart :lol: I’m sure that Arsenal and Spurs fans will be happy that they are now classed as big clubs
paulshrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:04 am

paulshrimp wrote:The six clubs are owned by four Americans (Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal), one Russian (Chelsea) and a Gulf state (Man City). I have no doubt that they have the best interests of English football at heart :lol: I’m sure that Arsenal and Spurs fans will be happy that they are now classed as big clubs

Spurs are owned by Joe Lewis who is British although he lives in the Bahamas. If you go by support then Spurs are certainly bigger than Man City , Liverpool , Arsenal and Chelsea. Trophies aren't the be all and end all of club size.

As a Spurs fan I am appalled by the new "Super League" and hope they are all banned from our competitions.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 am

What you just said about spurs being the bigger club than all the others makes no sense, but when you said you are a spurs fan now it makes sense.
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 am

Bristol Shrimp wrote:What you just said about spurs being the bigger club than all the others makes no sense, but when you said you are a spurs fan now it makes sense.

How many clubs other than Spurs could get record crowds of 85,000 for league games when using Wembley as a home ground ?
Gone_Shrimping

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:16 am

thedoc wrote:A lot of people are saying this is just a bargaining chip the already greedy bigger clubs are using to get even more power and money for themselves. I hope it fails. I personally wish we had the same model in this country that they do in Germany. People like the Russian gentlemen at Chelsea and the Americans at Manchester United are a bad thing for the game. Good thing for their own pockets, no doubt. But bad for the rest of us - and the game in general in my view.

A couple of years ago there was a vote in Bundesliga to get rid of the 49% fan owned structure as 2 or 3 clubs are not owned this way and I think it was seen that if extra money came into the league teams could be more competitive compared to their european competitors. However all the clubs voted to keep the current structure even the clubs that weren't fan owned :shock:

I think Klopp will walk away from Liverpool in the summer and go back to Germany.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 am

Every other club you mentioned bar city. And that would be excluding day tripping fans of Son.
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby redrobo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 am

So Spurs have this morning sacked their manager. Could it be for speaking out AGAINST the wishes of the owners regarding a so called Super league.... :?: :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby black morse » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:29 am

redrobo wrote:So Spurs have this morning sacked their manager. Could it be for speaking out AGAINST the wishes of the owners regarding a so called Super league.... :?: :?: :?: :?:

Could be but it could also be something to do with Harry Kane wanting out?
black morse

Postby Screenster » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:39 am

redrobo wrote:So Spurs have this morning sacked their manager. Could it be for speaking out AGAINST the wishes of the owners regarding a so called Super league.... :?: :?: :?: :?:

If Mourinho was sacked for opposing the super league and speaking out against the board, then good on him. This proposition is the embodiment of everything that's wrong with modern day football.
Screenster

Postby AndyReifman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:48 am

Screenster wrote:If Mourinho was sacked for opposing the super league and speaking out against the board, then good on him. This proposition is the embodiment of everything that's wrong with modern day football.

Big if, but if that is the case then I would hate to actually agree and be proud of Jose on something.

Seems unlikely though. Unfortunately it's more likely all the money from the ESL allows Levy to pay out his contract without worrying so much.
AndyReifman

Postby redrobo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:20 pm

This whole proposal stinks BUT assuming that it does go ahead what is left of the Premiership (or whatever it would be called) could result in a more competitive league (assuming that the greedy 6 are expelled from the Premiership) and could see the likes of Wolves get involved in a title chasing season alongside other clubs who as it stands have no chance of becoming Champions.

Interestingly on BBC1 Midday News a Wolves fan is all in favour of the new league for the reasons I've posted above so not everybody is against.... :o
redrobo

Next

Return to General Discussion