Project Big Picture

Project Big Picture

Postby bigbobshrimp » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:29 am

Interesting proposal but with the clear aim of a power grab by the “Big 6”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... g-picture/
bigbobshrimp

Re: Project Big Picture

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:39 am

Can't see it, it is behind a 'pay wall'. What are they suggesting and how will it impact on us/League Two?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby AndyReifman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Here's a summary from what I saw in another location

£250 million immediately to the EFL to compensate its clubs for lost matchday revenue, deducted from future television revenue earnings and financed by a loan taken out by the Premier League

Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership

Premier League to go to 18 clubs from 20

£100 million one-off gift to the FA to cover its coronavirus losses, the non-league game, the women’s game, the grassroots

8.5 per cent of annual net Premier League revenue to go on operating costs and “good causes” including the FA

From the remainder, 25 per cent of all combined Premier League and Football League revenues to go to the EFL clubs

Six per cent of Premier League gross revenues to pay for stadium improvements across the top four divisions, calculated at £100 per seat

New rules for the distribution of Premier League television income, overseas and domestic, including proposals that base one portion on performance over three years in the league

The abolition of the League Cup and the Community Shield

24 clubs each in the Championship, League One and League Two reducing the professional game overall from 92 clubs to 90

A women's professional league independent of the Premier League or the FA

Two sides automatically relegated from the Premier League every season and the top two Championship teams promoted. The 16th place Premier League club in a play-off tournament with the Championship’s third, fourth and fifth placed teams.

Financial fair play regulations in line with Uefa, and full access for Premier League executive to club accounts

A fan charter including capping of away tickets at £20, away travel subsidised, a focus on a return to safe standing, a minimum away allocation of eight per cent capacity

Later Premier League start in August to give greater scope for pre-season friendlies, and requirement for all clubs to compete once every five years in a summer Premier League tournament

Huge changes to loan system allowing clubs to have 15 players out on loan domestically at any one time and up to four at a single club in England

The big 9 clubs appear to be The big 6 + Everton, West Ham, and Southampton.

To me this looks like a big ol' blackmail. We'll give you the money and agree to things that should have been done along ago, but in return you put us in charge and give us full control of the league.
AndyReifman

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Agree, definitely a blackmail attempt. If they thought these changes were really for the best, put them forward separate to the covid bailout.

If they're including the £250m bailout as conditional on accepting the new changes, it's clear that they think it wouldn't pass without a huge chunk of desperately needed money.
tim-sanchez

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Andy Pilley, owner of Fleetwood Town is very much in favour of the new proposals.

https://twitter.com/capboy70/status/131 ... 86118?s=19

Source: Twitter again I'm afraid
BerlinWaller

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:41 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Andy Pilley, owner of Fleetwood Town is very much in favour of the new proposals.

I would be more interested in what the Accrington Stanley owner thinks about it. He is rather more in line with our club.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Andy Pilley, owner of Fleetwood Town is very much in favour of the new proposals.

I would be more interested in what the Accrington Stanley owner thinks about it. He is rather more in line with our club.

Holt didn't seem too bothered either: https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/13 ... 6877292545
tim-sanchez

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:36 pm

So would there be 4 relegation places one year :o and when would this come in?

If it's this year that would be fine with me as we will be the other end of the table so lets take their money and run!
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:52 pm

P/T Indie wrote:So would there be 4 relegation places one year :o and when would this come in?

If it's this year that would be fine with me as we will be the other end of the table so lets take their money and run!

And next season we will be in League 1 so again safe from going into the Conference. :D :D :D
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Freez » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:17 pm

It’s funny how this was proposed by two clubs, seconded by the other big 4 and then they try and bribe W the EFL with a one off payment. Which would be covered by two clubs being dropped from the top division over a couple of years.

Interesting that the two clubs are American owned, and the bottom line is profit, as it is with others obviously.

Remember when the European Cup was just that, a knock out? Malmo, Bucharest, Marseille, Hamburg, Sampdoria, Brugge, all reached a final in its last few years. Real, Man U, Juventus etc didn’t like that, it’s not fair that they could be knocked out by an unfashionable club over two games and then not get any money!
Solve that one with a league style, so the little teams get the games but the big clubs rise to the top, now it doesn’t matter if they lose away from home. We will call it the Champions League and the best teams from all the best Leagues will be seeded, despite over half of them not being Champions? Happy days.

Mmm try that for a few years, and lo and behold, a few big clubs get pissed off at getting knocked out in the group stages and not getting their yearly slice of TV pie they deserve, what can be done?
How about rejuvenate the UEFA Cup, so that if you get knocked out of the Champions League, you get another crack at the money as well? Woohoo, gravy train! Europa League it is then.

The same clubs in this country responsible for that absolute nonsense are now trying to stitch up the top division again to ensure that they get the biggest slice of pie as they are the best currently and want to rig it so it stays that way.

It’s bollocks, Franchise FC (choose your big club and insert name here) and all it’s acolytes can fuck off and disappear up their own arseholes, it’s a Gravy train and they want a bigger share of it. It’s greed wrapped up as a deal that will dig the little clubs an even bigger grave once the one off payment is delivered.

Leicester won the league, and this has been brewing since then.
Look closely and qualification for Europe could well end up on where you have finished in the last ten years? Eh? Win the league but you were tenth last year so hard luck, it’s Europa for you? Absolute Joke.

Armchair Mancs and Scousers who read the Sun and put a bet on will love this, one comment I read was “Great stuff, bring it on, I don’t want to watch Brighton v Sheff Utd anyway”!
Jesus, how blinkered are these dozy twats?

For me, they can piss off and start a European League and see how long it is before it’s all on TV, no away fans, all diving and VAR bollocks, game redefined and at the same time making millions in profit, but the fans of real football suffer.

Interesting times, with Covid Tiers and second waves, Brexit oven ready deal that we need to break and now this, the world has gone slightly mad.

I’ll get me coat! :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:31 pm

You're not in favour of this plan then freez? ;)
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Freez » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:09 pm

Did it come across? Was worried I was ambivalent!! :D :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby AndyReifman » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:15 pm

I'm actually really happy to see you say this Freez, and I agree, it's got my compatriots fingerprints all over it.

Sports in the US aren't about sport at all, it's just the money. You know what happens if you are the worst team in the league at the end of a season in the US? You get the #1 pick in the draft next year (which is a whole different story.)

Anyway, I'm extra glad to see it because I've been rather surprised to see that some of the EFL clubs seem to support this so readily. I understand that the clubs are struggling and getting money now is important, but I also worry about what it could lead to down the road.
AndyReifman

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:29 pm

Freez wrote: For me, they can piss off and start a European League and see how long it is before it’s all on TV, no away fans, all diving and VAR bollocks, game redefined and at the same time making millions in profit, but the fans of real football suffer. :D

With you all the way David !
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:36 am

Great outburst from Ian Holloway....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08v2zsf
Alan

Postby redrobo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Alan wrote:Great outburst from Ian Holloway....

Excellent. About time somebody stood up for the clubs who haven't a cat in hells chance of ever having the money that the big 6 have. When they start demanding this that and the other for them to agree to give us smaller fry some money to keep us and others like us going then football will be a lot better for it if they if they are told NO!

The money at the top is disgusting and somebody needs to step in and tell them that it can't go on.

If something doesn't change soon then football at our level will die and the likes of Vardy will no longer get the chance to progress.

Home grown talent before expensive foreign imports every time for me.
redrobo

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:08 pm

Good on him, but will anybody listen?

Sanchez got a £9M payout to leave Man Utd :o
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby HALMA 1983 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:51 pm

marky No.1 wrote:

Good on him, but will anybody listen?

Sanchez got a £9M payout to leave Man Utd :o

And he was on 500k a week injured or not even playing :x
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:01 pm

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/statu ... 70979?s=19

Lots of facts and figures regarding this proposal. Amazing how some clubs were ready to snap the hands off the big 6 without knowing the detail.
BerlinWaller

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 am

The package of funding for the National Leagues has just been announced. Seems as divisive as Project Big Picture was.

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 53664?s=19

https://twitter.com/aaronflan/status/13 ... 76737?s=19
BerlinWaller

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:14 am

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby paulshrimp » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:42 pm

The chair of the DCMS committee is MP for Solihull. Let’s hope he doesn’t enjoy the FA cup round 2 :D
paulshrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Looking like the EFL is close to agreeing a package from the Premier League of a £50 million grant (not loan) to the League 1 and League 2 clubs. Not sure how it is divided but it should help with the shortfall caused by loss of gate receipts and catering sales.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Looking like the EFL is close to agreeing a package from the Premier League of a £50 million grant (not loan) to the League 1 and League 2 clubs. Not sure how it is divided but it should help with the shortfall caused by loss of gate receipts and catering sales.

Good news if it comes off....BUT as for how much our club will get I suspect that the decision will be based on our total expenditure for a previous season before the shut down which could mean one of the lowest if not the lowest amount in EFL2. Not for one minute do I believe that every club will get an equal share.

However something is better than nothing..... :)
redrobo

Postby RedRedWine » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Good news about the grant if finalised. £50 million sounds a lot, it covers around 52% of the salary cap for wages in leagues One (£2.5m per club) and Two (£1.5m per club).

Obviously some clubs like ourselves don't spend the full cap, and others like Grimsby are on the record as reducing playing budget and inserting clauses in contracts to safeguard against postponements of the season - which is quite prudent in the current climate, but has given them a distinct competitive disadvantage IMO. I don't think they should be punished for acting responsibly - which is what the salary cap is supposed to promote.

As every clubs income has evaporated, but the biggest underlying cost has remained (playing wages), distributing the grant money in-line with salary cap (52% = £780k per league two club) seems fair to me ;). Each club has a different business model, so distributing funds based on turnover or attendances would seem a bit perverse IMO and get complicated quite quickly - plus they don't do this with the solidarity payment; each club within the same level gets the same amount (e.g. £470k per league two club for 2018/19 season).
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Next

Return to General Discussion