Southend away

Southend away

Postby redrobo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:47 pm

There is a saying in football that the next game for a team after a humiliating result is at its most dangerous.

Let's hope that this applies to our lads next Saturday.

I haven't included Newcastle because the league is far more important in the scheme of things.

Today's defeat is one of DA's worst results in his career as a manager and I would expect him to be seeing with post match rage as we have already seen that he has a temper when decisions and things in general go wrong on the field.

We all know what Fergie used to throw in the changing room wonder what DA's choice of projectiles is / was.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: Southend away

Postby Andy D » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:13 pm

think some of the players need to look at this attitude(mind set) of it's Morecambe a Family club and aslong as you avoid relegation every season the fans will give you an easy ride(seeing out your contract)
Andy D

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Don't think DA will be throwing anything. We are what we are. We have 3 strikers. AJ is biscuit legs and will never be fully fit again. If he wasn't on a 2 year contract courtesy of JB he'd be long gone. Cole in my opinion is average at best and appears to be turning into AJ number 2. After a period out at the end of last season he is once again side lined at the start of the new season. That leaves one fit striker in McAlinden who is unproven in EFL2. We pin our hopes on the likes of Phillips and Wildig scoring from midfield, but it ain't going to happen every week and the opposition will quickly suss this and combat it. I have faith in DA but he can only do so much with what he has. In my opinion another long hard season awaits and hopes of looking at the top end of the table are way off the mark.

COYS.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Derek has set his own standards and brought in player's to match that ambition but there isn't a pressing expectation of him finishing in the top half of the table, is there?

On to next week and hopefully a chance to put right all the wrongs of today.
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:12 am

redrobo wrote:I haven't included Newcastle because the league is far more important in the scheme of things.

I broadly agree with you, but equally, if we fluke a result against Newcastle, it will potentially be worth a couple of hundred thousand pounds. That's the type of money that would allow us to break even at the end of the season and Derek to go shopping in the January sales, or attract a player who is currently unattached.

Which comes first? The chicken or the egg-cup?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Keith wrote:
redrobo wrote:I haven't included Newcastle because the league is far more important in the scheme of things.

I broadly agree with you, but equally, if we fluke a result against Newcastle, it will potentially be worth a couple of hundred thousand pounds. That's the type of money that would allow us to break even at the end of the season and Derek to go shopping in the January sales, or attract a player who is currently unattached.

A cup run is nice when it doesn't keep on coinciding with your League commitments, the player's were run ragged yesterday and yes, it would be nice to get anything from the Newcastle game but I'd take any win against Southend instead and it's very much needed.
HALMA 1983

Postby RapidShrimp » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:14 am

HALMA 1983 wrote:
Keith wrote:

A cup run is nice when it doesn't keep on coinciding with your League commitments, the player's were run ragged yesterday and yes, it would be nice to get anything from the Newcastle game but I'd take any win against Southend instead and it's very much needed.

In normal circumstances when we know that we’d be fighting relegation, then I’d agree. But considering we think we should be safe of the bottom 2 this season, a couple of league games put to one side in favour of a cup-run shouldn’t have too much of an impact on our final league standings, now it’s not make-or-break come the end of the season.
RapidShrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:50 am

RapidShrimp wrote:In normal circumstances when we know that we’d be fighting relegation, then I’d agree. But considering we think we should be safe of the bottom 2 this season, a couple of league games put to one side in favour of a cup-run shouldn’t have too much of an impact on our final league standings, now it’s not make-or-break come the end of the season.

There's no guarantees, it might end up another tough finish but agreed, more unlikely with the quality of players brought in, as for the cup games, it's the two games a week for three weeks right now.
The players looked fatigued Saturday and after Wednesday, they most probably will the next, it's far better when it's League one Saturday and a cup game the Saturday after, keeping the squad fresh and free from injuries will be Derek's main concern, the rest should take care of itself.
HALMA 1983

Return to General Discussion