Cheltenham 1 Morecambe 2 [Phillips, Carlos M-G] LIVE iFollow

Re: Cheltenham 1 Morecambe 2 [Phillips, Carlos M-G] LIVE iFo

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Cole went off at half time with an injury. Hope it isn't too serious, although McAlinden could get a start anyway? Or would he be a good impact sub anyway?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Shrimp Girl » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:16 pm

Nice touch from the players to come across and applaud the camera/us at the end. We waved back! :)
Shrimp Girl

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:27 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
redrobo wrote:Bloody superb.

Still lots of work needs to be done but brilliant start to the season.

Too much space given to the opposition but maybe that is the way DA wants to play it

McAlinden changed the game without question and more mobile than Cole but would be good to see them both play together.

:D :D :D

I think that is the major change with DA in charge. The obsession with what the other team are doing that we have seen in the past is replaced with lets make them worry about us and what we can do.

I think today we were worried about the other team and that's why we went 5 at the back. They did look a very good that deserved respect but I still think it doesn't suit us and we don't look comfortable.

At least it shows that Derek does change from his 4-3-3 where as Plymouth fans said he never changed.

If we go 5 at the back for all away games and try to keep it tight it might make some nervy watching.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:33 pm

P/T Indie wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:

Too much space given to the opposition but maybe that is the way DA wants to play it

McAlinden changed the game without question and more mobile than Cole but would be good to see them both play together.

I think that is the major change with DA in charge. The obsession with what the other team are doing that we have seen in the past is replaced with lets make them worry about us and what we can do.

I think today we were worried about the other team and that's why we went 5 at the back. They did look a very good that deserved respect but I still think it doesn't suit us and we don't look comfortable.

At least it shows that Derek does change from his 4-3-3 where as Plymouth fans said he never changed.

If we go 5 at the back for all away games and try to keep it tight it might make some nervy watching.
When has it NOT been nervy watching MFC? :D
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:50 pm

P/T Indie wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:

Keeping it tight away from home is what all clubs do. Looking at the starting 11, there was no intention of parking the bus but the formation is flexible enough to go to 5 at the back with 2 shielding in the middle if needs be. That is just good management, good tactical sense. DA said in an interview he now has a squad which allows him to change tactics game to game and during the game.
BerlinWaller

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:02 pm

I'm still sceptical about the back three today but I think we settled into it far better in the second half. And the introduction of McAlinden really changed things. Stockton wasn't getting much change out of the likes of Tozer, but McAlinden and CMG drifting about into gaps and wider spaces caused them more trouble with balls in behind.

Thought there were some pretty good performances. NKP was dominant in the air, Diagouraga looked tidy in midfield and Pringle really helped keep the ball moving in attack. CMG very unfortunate that some of his excellent through passes didn't come off, always busy and great composure for the winner. McAlinden tricky, intelligent movement and direct/purposeful.

I wouldn't put too much blame on Turner for their goal. The ball came down incredibly awkwardly and was very difficult to deal with. Overall showed some good handling, one really excellent save and I'm a big fan of how he dealt with a the Reuben Reid chance at the end. Timed how he came out of his net perfectly and spread himself very well - forced Reid to miss basically.

One concern going forward is Phillips. Had some good moments and it was a thumping penalty, but he looked shattered at points which is unsurprising seeing as he's started all three games. I got the impression from his interview there may have been a slight injury he's carrying but has been called in early with Wildig being ill. Would like to see him rested perhaps in midweek as we need him fresh and fit!
Little Shrimp

Postby vanillaturtle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:19 pm

We thankfully won this game and had lots of good stuff throughout. However, a couple of key things to work on:

1. Decisive tackling and clearing in the box.

I feel like our center backs and wing backs don't know what to do when an opponent is dribbling towards them. They just kind of stand around waiting for them to make a mistake. Not much pressure and that leads to anxiety in the box. Diagouraga Kenyon Lavelle are good at this but Hendrie, Mellor are piss poor at tackling and Davis and NKP remind me of clumsy oafs who are amazing at winning the ball in the air but bad with their feets.

2. Make more runs.

Our players just again stand around until one person feels like making a run. No chances are going to come just by passing it around while stationary.

I think having wildig back in the midfield will add a lot more creativity. Should keep Lavelle and one of davis and NKP and add kenyon to the lineup, cooney instead of mellor and keep hendrie on.
vanillaturtle

Postby black morse » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:44 am

Great result. Well done to all :D
black morse

Postby Born again Bill » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:59 am

[quote="vanillaturtle"]We thankfully won this game and had lots of good stuff throughout. However, a couple of key things to work on:

1. Decisive tackling and clearing in the box.

I feel like our center backs and wing backs don't know what to do when an opponent is dribbling towards them. They just kind of stand around waiting for them to make a mistake. Not much pressure and that leads to anxiety in the box. Diagouraga Kenyon Lavelle are good at this but Hendrie, Mellor are piss poor at tackling and Davis and NKP remind me of clumsy oafs who are amazing at winning the ball in the air but bad with their feets.

2. Make more runs.

Our players just again stand around until one person feels like making a run. No chances are going to come just by passing it around while stationary.

3. Be more decisive with throw ins , don’t stand about waiting for all the players to get marked up , get the ball back Into play ASAP .
Born again Bill

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:17 am

Playing all the big clubs away right now would be a good thing, without their 12th man every game, Home advantage counts for nowt
HALMA 1983

Postby glagys » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:46 am

Watched the interview with DA “ I have the change the mind set at this club,we were not little Morecambe, we are Morecambe FC “
Strong words indeed but I agreed with his words “we will not compete financially but we will on the pitch, “ or words to that effect
glagys

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:52 am

glagys wrote:Watched the interview with DA “ I have the change the mind set at this club,we were not little Morecambe, we are Morecambe FC “
Strong words indeed but I agreed with his words “we will not compete financially but we will on the pitch, “ or words to that effect

He did it with Ross County and they really are Little old Dingwall :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:42 pm

glagys wrote:Watched the interview with DA “ I have the change the mind set at this club,we were not little Morecambe, we are Morecambe FC “

I spent all last season banging on about a change of attitude being needed at the club and how just settling for finishing one place above relegation every season was cheating the fans. Derek and Charlie deserves to be mentioned along side him, have dragged this club out of the doldrums and we are looking like a proper outfit on and off the pitch. It was well worth all the grief and nonsense I got from a certain few on here.
BerlinWaller

Postby halfwayprawn » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Well said Derek,this is what has needed changing for a long time.We are here on merit and are lucky we have a ground which doesn't have the cost of older stadiums some other clubs have.At last i am seeing a football team actually playing football and competing with the so called bigger clubs.
halfwayprawn

Postby Andy D » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:11 pm

where can i find that interview? just been looking for it.
Andy D

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:13 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:

I spent all last season banging on about a change of attitude being needed at the club and how just settling for finishing one place above relegation every season was cheating the fans. Derek and Charlie deserves to be mentioned along side him, have dragged this club out of the doldrums and we are looking like a proper outfit on and off the pitch. It was well worth all the grief and nonsense I got from a certain few on here.

It was a completely different set of circumstances and the club was in the doldrums because of it,
Derek Adams hasn't come here on peanuts and the backing he's been receiving has no doubt all come about because of the assurances given before signing a contract with the club, who he is and his standing in the game.
Fair play to all those who've jumped aboard the Jolly ship Derek in the form of Directors and sponsors, they can now see something in the club that hasn't been enough to entice them previous.
HALMA 1983

Postby lancaster shrimp » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:29 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:

Totally agree with this BW, DA is a breath of fresh air and exactly what was needed. Listening to his interview, "We are not "little Morecambe We are Morecambe Football Club, on a side note, when did we last win our opening game? And when did we last come from behind to win?
lancaster shrimp

Postby glagys » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 pm

glagys

Postby glagys » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:51 pm

Was Cole carrying a knock ?
In the interview Liam said he could see Cole was struggling and the gaffer brought him on at halftime
glagys

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:56 pm

glagys wrote:Was Cole carrying a knock ?
In the interview Liam said he could see Cole was struggling and the gaffer brought him on at halftime

Cole appeared to have what looked like a groin strain as he was walking out from their box
HALMA 1983

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:48 pm

lancaster shrimp wrote: on a side note, when did we last win our opening game? And when did we last come from behind to win?

Last time we won our opening game was 3 seasons ago, against Cheltenham, 2-1! We were 1-0 down at half-time, and won thanks to an injury time winner from Garry Thompson. Almost identical except for it being at home. Of course that season didn't end so well :?

21st of December was the last time we came from behind to win, 2-1 at home to Newport.
tim-sanchez

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:35 pm

lancaster shrimp wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:

Totally agree with this BW, DA is a breath of fresh air and exactly what was needed. Listening to his interview, "We are not "little Morecambe We are Morecambe Football Club, on a side note, when did we last win our opening game? And when did we last come from behind to win?

Totally agree with you both as goes Derek Adams and the extra breath of fresh air in this seaside town full of it :D
But Just out of interest, how many would have thought Morecambe Football Club could have attracted such a top manager at that moment in time? Bet you can count them on one hand.

I was fully expecting an Ian Evatt at best or a Steven Pressley at worst :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:45 pm

Derek says we are trying to change the image of ‘Little Old Morecambe’

About time imo. We ARE a Football League Club, and have been for several years, so why shouldn’t we aspire to move up the pyramid? Good on yer Derek
Caged Lion

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm

I spent all last season banging on about a change of attitude being needed at the club and how just settling for finishing one place above relegation every season was cheating the fans. Derek and Charlie deserves to be mentioned along side him, have dragged this club out of the doldrums and we are looking like a proper outfit on and off the pitch. It was well worth all the grief and nonsense I got from a certain few on here.[/quote]

Totally agree with this BW, DA is a breath of fresh air and exactly what was needed. Listening to his interview, "We are not "little Morecambe We are Morecambe Football Club, on a side note, when did we last win our opening game? And when did we last come from behind to win?[/quote]

Totally agree with you both as goes Derek Adams and the extra breath of fresh air in this seaside town full of it :D
But Just out of interest, how many would have thought Morecambe Football Club could have attracted such a top manager at that moment in time? Bet you can count them on one hand.

I was fully expecting an Ian Evatt at best or a Steven Pressley at worst :lol:[/quote]

I thought we had more chance of Elvis Presley than Derek Adams ! His record is excellent and it was surprising he was not in a job when Jim departed. He took Ross County up into the Scottish Premier and took Plymouth up to League 1 and almost into the Championship. We need to make sure he isn't poached by anyone if we continue to do well.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Caged Lion wrote:Derek says we are trying to change the image of ‘Little Old Morecambe’

About time imo. We ARE a Football League Club, and have been for several years, so why shouldn’t we aspire to move up the pyramid? Good on yer Derek

Like Accy, Big club.....Tiny Town :D and to think of all the arguments I had back in the day compering Morecambe's illuminations to Blackpool's :lol:
HALMA 1983

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion