Luke Conlon Transfer Bid?

Re: Luke Conlon Transfer Bid?

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:48 pm

The last line of Carl Ruffers write up should have flagged up a few concerns :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Gone to Fylde. Not willing to fight for his place in the FL and signs for a Unibond League club.
BerlinWaller

Postby glagys » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Nothing on the website, if so how much ?
Mistake on his part I think but time will tell
glagys

Postby Andy D » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:18 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Gone to Fylde. Not willing to fight for his place in the FL and signs for a Unibond League club.

we dont know that.

Luke might feel more wanted by Jim first team football and all that plus if there's been a transfer fee involved, Derek might have told him to take it.

hopefully if there is a fee involved we can sign another Striker.
Andy D

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:22 am

Andy D wrote:

There's definitely a fee involved, obviously, no idea how much. I also thought & hope that any fee can be used to bring in another forward.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:23 am

If Conlan goes then the priority is another left back, then hopefully another forward. Wouldn't mind someone who can also offer a bit of physicality so we're not left short in that department if Stockton gets injured.
Little Shrimp

Postby redrobo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 am

Assuming that Luke decides to go I have to question his ambitions and playing in a league 2 below the EFL shows for me that he has little ambition of progressing however it's his decision and i would expect that salary wise he will not be any worse off.

Any transfer fee I suspect will be used to pay the salaries of the squad as I expect the lack of fans to the stadium and therefore the lack of money coming into the club will extend beyond October the way that the virus is now increasing in threat.

Ideally the fee could be used by DA to bring in that much needed striker but I suspect that it will not happen due to the reasons given above.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
redrobo

Postby Shrimpy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:24 am

redrobo wrote:Assuming that Luke decides to go I have to question his ambitions and playing in a league 2 below the EFL shows for me that he has little ambition of progressing however it's his decision and i would expect that salary wise he will not be any worse off.

I think that's a bit unfair on Luke.

He's playing under a manager who didn't sign him, that has just signed a new player to play in his position.

He may be able to increase his wages by going to Fylde and will once again link up with the manager that has shown a lot of faith in him.

I think it makes sense for Luke to make that move now if he can as he's out of contract in the Summer and not likely to be first choice this season with us.
Shrimpy

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am

Andy D wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Gone to Fylde. Not willing to fight for his place in the FL and signs for a Unibond League club.

we dont know that.

Luke might feel more wanted by Jim first team football and all that plus if there's been a transfer fee involved, Derek might have told him to take it.

Derek says he pulled the deal because nothing was happening and then after the Rochdale game, Luke asked to leave again. DA wanted him to stay and fight for his place but Luke wants to drop 2 leagues to the HFS Loans League. There is an interview with DA on Lancs.
BerlinWaller

Postby Andy D » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:If Conlan goes then the priority is another left back, then hopefully another forward. Wouldn't mind someone who can also offer a bit of physicality so we're not left short in that department if Stockton gets injured.

Knight-Percival on his CV started as a left winger, then a left fullback and can also play as a left sided central defender.
BerlinWaller wrote:
Derek says he pulled the deal because nothing was happening and then after the Rochdale game, Luke asked to leave again. DA wanted him to stay and fight for his place but Luke wants to drop 2 leagues to the HFS Loans League. There is an interview with DA on Lancs.
Well i'll have a slice of humble Pie :P
Andy D

Postby redrobo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Shrimpy wrote:
redrobo wrote:Assuming that Luke decides to go I have to question his ambitions and playing in a league 2 below the EFL shows for me that he has little ambition of progressing however it's his decision and i would expect that salary wise he will not be any worse off.

I think that's a bit unfair on Luke.

He's playing under a manager who didn't sign him, that has just signed a new player to play in his position.

He may be able to increase his wages by going to Fylde and will once again link up with the manager that has shown a lot of faith in him.

I think it makes sense for Luke to make that move now if he can as he's out of contract in the Summer and not likely to be first choice this season with us.

Sod that....if he or any other player can't be arsed to fight for his place then they are no good to us or DA.

Conlan was OK but it would be interesting to find out how many goals came as a result of crosses from his side and let's be honest he wasn't the type of player to mark his winger tightly often giving the winger ample room to deliver the killer ball into the box.

So for me (and I know others will disagree) we are better off without him, just surprised it's taken JB all this time to get him on board....BUT AFC have lost one of their full backs who didn't want to play under JB so maybe Conlan is only a replacement....who knows but I for one couldn't care less about his departure.

:) :) :)
redrobo

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:16 pm

redrobo wrote:Sod that....if he or any other player can't be arsed to fight for his place then they are no good to us or DA.

Conlan was OK but it would be interesting to find out how many goals came as a result of crosses from his side and let's be honest he wasn't the type of player to mark his winger tightly often giving the winger ample room to deliver the killer ball into the box.

So for me (and I know others will disagree) we are better off without him, just surprised it's taken JB all this time to get him on board....BUT AFC have lost one of their full backs who didn't want to play under JB "because he had an offer at a club two leagues higher"

so maybe Conlan is only a replacement....who knows but I for one couldn't care less about his departure.

:) :) :)

FTFY ;)
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Andy D wrote:
Little Shrimp wrote:If Conlan goes then the priority is another left back, then hopefully another forward. Wouldn't mind someone who can also offer a bit of physicality so we're not left short in that department if Stockton gets injured.

Knight-Percival on his CV started as a left winger, then a left fullback and can also play as a left sided central defender.
BerlinWaller wrote:
Well i'll have a slice of humble Pie :P

Don't feel too bad mate, i know my onions.

It's sad in a way because I felt Luke had improved under DA and he would have improved further having to battle for his place with another seasoned pro. It does feel like he has ducked out and signed for a club knowing he will be first choice but playing at a level beneath his ability.
BerlinWaller

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:56 pm

I thought left back was one of our weakest positions but we have sold 2 of them for cash :o and we hardly ever sell players.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:31 pm

It might be a bit harsh but I don't think his defensive work was good enough for League 2. I lost count of the number of times he left his wide man in acres of space. able to deliver a telling cross. He must have cost us quite a number of goals over the seasons. If we have got money for him then we have done good business.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:35 pm

I agree with the last couple of posts. I felt left back was a real problem position and Conlan never really closed down the opposition wide player resulting in many crosses. I also remember him being caught the wrong side of his man and chopping them down for penalties or dangerous free kicks.
Amazingly the 2 players we have received fees for this Summer have moved into non-league.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:36 pm

fulwoodshrimp wrote:It might be a bit harsh but I don't think his defensive work was good enough for League 2. I lost count of the number of times he left his wide man in acres of space. able to deliver a telling cross. He must have cost us quite a number of goals over the seasons. If we have got money for him then we have done good business.

This has been discussed a few times and I still think it was a tactic employed by Jim to tuck his full backs in and then try and get out to defend against a winger. It often made Luke look silly because he rushed out, stopped 10 yards short and jumped about like a cat on a hot tin roof. I think he was the best tackler we had though.
BerlinWaller

Postby glagys » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:43 pm

glagys

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:53 pm

glagys wrote:Looks like Kev cannot leave it ??

https://twitter.com/kenyon03/status/130 ... fsrc=email

Must be handy to be able to do your talking both off and on the pitch
HALMA 1983

Postby CityShrimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:05 pm

He wasn’t a terrible player by any stretch but I did feel that Conlan was the weak link in our back line and I was happy to see Hendrie come in. Shame that we have lost some depth to the squad but he’s not a massive loss and if we could use any slack in the budget to now bring in another striker, I’d see it as a good bit of business.

Good luck to Luke anyway - he left to get guaranteed football which is fair enough in my eyes.
CityShrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:27 pm

A decent L2 full back, but no huge loss for the starting XI. I liked having him as backup/competition as he is a solid option, but understandable that he may want a bit more game time - albeit at a lower level. I'd expect him to be one of the best left backs in that league.

It's a shame to lose him as a squad option now the team is settled (which I think is probably why DA was so keen to keep him) but I don't think we can really turn down a decent fee for him. I'm sure we'll be able to find a decent replacement.

In regards to stopping crosses, I think a lot of the issue was our system in which we were quite flat and compact (as has been mentioned previously), which is fine if you're good at defending crosses in the box but we weren't particularly good at that. Also, I'm not sure how much protection he really would have got from Ellison during his latter years.

The fact that we've managed to get fees from non-league clubs for our second choice left backs is strange but very good business.
Little Shrimp

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:11 am

Well, that’s two left backs of Jim’s that weren’t good enough going for fees and a striker and a midfielder getting to go to Bolton.

Either we’ve missed something or we’ve done something very badly indeed!

Good luck to Luke, put a real shift in, however, I can count on one hand the crosses he successfully stopped.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby lancaster shrimp » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:19 am

As others have said. Always felt he was the weak link in our defence. Can't blame the for wanting more game time. It seems to be a good squad that JB is putting together at Fylde
lancaster shrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:44 am

SupermarketShrimp wrote:Well, that’s two left backs of Jim’s that weren’t good enough going for fees and a striker and a midfielder getting to go to Bolton.

Good luck to Luke, put a real shift in, however, I can count on one hand the crosses he successfully stopped.

I don't think we have missed anything.

Cranston moved for domestic reasons.

Miller was useless last season.

Tutte was out injured on a regular basis.

You don't need a hand to count the crosses Conlan has stopped.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:21 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
SupermarketShrimp wrote:Well, that’s two left backs of Jim’s that weren’t good enough going for fees and a striker and a midfielder getting to go to Bolton.

I don't think we have missed anything.

Cranston moved for domestic reasons.

Miller was useless last season.

Tutte was out injured on a regular basis.

You don't need a hand to count the crosses Conlan has stopped.

I agree with Gone_Shrimping.

I like Luke, I thought he worked hard and was still improving, but not first choice with us, and gets a contract with an option for an extension, so probably more security on a longer term, depending upon that 'option'.

Jordan Cranston spoke openly about depression and the challenges of living away from his family. I thought he was actually better as a midfielder than a defender, and would have liked to see him stay, but completely understand why he chose to go.

As for Tutte & Miller, did anyone here wish we'd signed them? Brilliant business by their agents to get them contracts with Bolton, but I don't think anyone wanted them to stay with us?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion