O/T THE Coronavirus Pandemic!

O/T THE Coronavirus Pandemic!

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:17 am

All right, it's rant time. I am getting really annoyed with those who should know better, like the government and the media, constantly referring to THE coronavirus pandemic (or any other reference to THE coronavirus). There are 7 coronaviruses that affect humans; 4 of them are mikd and, as I understand it, are various strains of the common cold. The other 3 are Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and Covid-19 (SARS-Cov-2). It is misleading to keep making out that Covid-19 is the only coronavirus.

Sorry, rant over. :evil:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Re: O/T THE Coronavirus Pandemic!

Postby Andy D » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:34 am

supposedly Covid-19 is the 19th version of Covid, and there will soon be a Covid-20.
Andy D

Postby Bare bum » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:47 am

you want a rant about (the) coronavirus?

(parental ADVISORY explicit content)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdd8WzaK-Q
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:31 am

Phil Anderer wrote:All right, it's rant time. I am getting really annoyed with those who should know better, like the government and the media, constantly referring to THE coronavirus pandemic (or any other reference to THE coronavirus). There are 7 coronaviruses that affect humans; 4 of them are mikd and, as I understand it, are various strains of the common cold. The other 3 are Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and Covid-19 (SARS-Cov-2). It is misleading to keep making out that Covid-19 is the only coronavirus.

Andy D wrote:supposedly Covid-19 is the 19th version of Covid, and there will soon be a Covid-20.

19 just refers to 2019, the year in which it was discovered.

I don't really see the big deal about calling it "the" coronavirus. It may not be technically correct, but it's how people have referred to diseases basically forever and it's obvious what they mean. Just like when you say you've got "the" cold, or come down with "the" flu. You yourself refer to "the" common cold in that post!

Yes, technically they should be saying the COVID-19 virus, just as you should say you've caught the H3N2 flu virus, but everyone knows what you mean if you say you caught the flu, just like everyone knows which coronavirus you're referring to when you say the coronavirus.
tim-sanchez

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:35 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:19 just refers to 2019, the year in which it was discovered.

I don't really see the big deal about calling it "the" coronavirus. It may not be technically correct, but it's how people have referred to diseases basically forever and it's obvious what they mean. Just like when you say you've got "the" cold, or come down with "the" flu. You yourself refer to "the" common cold in that post!

Yes, technically they should be saying the COVID-19 virus, just as you should say you've caught the H3N2 flu virus, but everyone knows what you mean if you say you caught the flu, just like everyone knows which coronavirus you're referring to when you say the coronavirus.

True, but the media are supposed to educate. If they called it "COVID-19" all the time, then the population may understand better. Although Trump thought there were 18 before this one and injecting bleach would cure it, so perhaps it isn't a lack of access to knowledge that is the problem. :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:01 pm

It is no longer a pandemic and was officially downgraded in May by the Government. It is nothing more than a casedemic now. Flu and Suicides are killing more people. Time to reopen the country and get rid of the 2nd wave talk and placebo masks.

https://twitter.com/AlistairHaimes/stat ... 88992?s=19
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:21 pm

10,000 or so people gathered in Trafalgar square yesterday to voice their disapproval and social distancing obviously wasn't being observed and the wearing of masks went right out the window

https://www.bitchute.com/video/9JBrOmSJ084X/

And here's us worrying about watching a football match :?
HALMA 1983

Postby redrobo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Went for a walk on the prom and Stone Jetty with Daughter and Son in Law plus new Grand Daughter (plus wife of course) and couldn't believe the numbers that ignored social distancing. It was if it was a normal Sunday afternoon with no threat of a virus.

First time for years that I've taken a walk on the prom and have to say that other than the crowds it was an enjoyable afternoon despite the crowds and dive bombing sea gulls around the clock tower.
redrobo

Postby Andy D » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:11 pm

but Covid-19 its still more dangerous to our Elderly population than standard regular flu and its been proven Covid-19 stays in the Human body a lot longer with more people getting infected "R" rate.

i like my conspiracy theory's, but dont believe any government in the UK, Spain, Italy, Germany, Russia, USA etc is happy about destroying its own economy's and getting into debt for the hell of it.
Andy D

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:21 pm

HALMA 1983 wrote:10,000 or so people gathered in Trafalgar square yesterday to voice their disapproval and social distancing obviously wasn't being observed and the wearing of masks went right out the window

This follows the BLM marches, the celebrations at Leeds and Liverpoo, the packed beaches, VE day, pubs and restaurants reopening and Dominic Cummings. Still no 2nd wave, not even a ripple. Cases are up but deaths and hospital admissions have dropped 97% and the virus has a survival rate of 99.96%.
BerlinWaller

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:32 pm

"Now that's what I call covid 20" is apparently being released in time for Xmas!!
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:21 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
HALMA 1983 wrote:10,000 or so people gathered in Trafalgar square yesterday to voice their disapproval and social distancing obviously wasn't being observed and the wearing of masks went right out the window

This follows the BLM marches, the celebrations at Leeds and Liverpoo, the packed beaches, VE day, pubs and restaurants reopening and Dominic Cummings. Still no 2nd wave, not even a ripple. Cases are up but deaths and hospital admissions have dropped 97% and the virus has a survival rate of 99.96%.

When the final death toll is analysed it is thought that the actual number of people who have died from Covid-19 will be a very small number. Doctors have been putting Covid-19 on the death certificates if the deceased has had the Covid even though something else probably contributed more to their death. Take Eddie Large , he had real heart problems when he died but because he had Covid that was what was on the death certificate.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:49 pm

I remember when this was first talked about, advice was being banded around and we were led to believe that it could be that contagious every family 'might' lose someone in their household, this helped stoke that siege mentality and we all went into our shells.

When asked by others: do you personally know anyone who has actually died after contracting it? The answer was NO and this was the case when I reversed the question.
Here lies the problem, IF it killed everyone who got it that would be a massive gamechanger but as things stand, the fact that it doesn't is having an adverse effect on 99.9 % of the world's population.
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:00 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:...the virus has a survival rate of 99.96%.

Evidence please? Ta.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Not a problem Keith, you're welcome

https://twitter.com/GraalTruth/status/1 ... 99170?s=09
https://twitter.com/Aozolai/status/1300 ... 34816?s=19
https://twitter.com/gazcon/status/12993 ... 75363?s=19

Imagine the amount of cases we would have had if we had the testing capacity we have today in March/April.
BerlinWaller

Postby morecambegeek » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Hopefully all the white middle aged men who have suddenly become medical experts will continue their expertise past the pandemic and help clear the nhs backlog.
morecambegeek

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:58 pm

morecambegeek wrote:Hopefully all the white middle aged men who have suddenly become medical experts will continue their expertise past the pandemic and help clear the nhs backlog.

Hopefully all the white middle aged doom and gloomers live past November and have a lovely Christmas.

Not sure why sex and race was needed in your post.
BerlinWaller

Postby morecambegeek » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:59 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
morecambegeek wrote:Hopefully all the white middle aged men who have suddenly become medical experts will continue their expertise past the pandemic and help clear the nhs backlog.

Hopefully all the white middle aged doom and gloomers live past November and have a lovely Christmas.

Because most of the idiots marching in trafalgar Square and furiously tapping their keyboards are white middle aged men. Not rocket science.

It attracts a certain kind of Internet loon, and it's mostly entirely predictable which message board characters will start posting the same old tired tropes.
morecambegeek

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:05 pm

I think it's gone way beyond this, we need credible answers to our concerns and then we might be more willing to swallow what's being force fed.
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:13 pm

morecambegeek wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:

Because most of the idiots marching in trafalgar Square and furiously tapping their keyboards are white middle aged men. Not rocket science.

It attracts a certain kind of Internet loon, and it's mostly entirely predictable which message board characters will start posting the same old tired tropes.

Was that the first major march during the pandemic? I'm sorry if i have hurt your feelings by having different views to yours. It's always quite predictable which characters are the first to get personal in a debate on here.

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/stat ... 61025?s=09
BerlinWaller

Postby morecambegeek » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:20 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Was that the first major march during the pandemic?

You what now?

You asked why I brought race and gender into it. The anti mask, anti vaxxer, libertarian march that took place in Trafalgar square yesterday was my answer.
morecambegeek

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:25 am

morecambegeek wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Was that the first major march during the pandemic?

You what now?

You asked why I brought race and gender into it. The anti mask, anti vaxxer, libertarian march that took place in Trafalgar square yesterday was my answer.

If you could just dissect the evidence I provided and maybe come back with some to counteract it and prove your point, that would be great, cheers.
BerlinWaller

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:36 am

There are several potential reasons for the reduction in the mortality rate. Examples include:

1. The initial wave had a heavy toll on the vulnerable: 40% of excess deaths so far have been in care homes.
2. Covid-19 is now being spread much more by younger people who are generally less likely to die.
3. Masks and social distancing are meaning people are getting lower doses and therefore less severe symptoms.
4. Covid-19 could be mutating to become less fatal; it's not in any virus's interest to kill its host.

With a father-in-law turning 90 in 4 weeks and a wife with asthma, I continue to take suitable precautions.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:09 am

Has there been any news of any COVID deaths in the North Lancs and Cumbria health authority area lately ?
jbc.shrimp

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:51 am

BerlinWaller wrote:the virus has a survival rate of 99.96%.

BerlinWaller wrote:Not a problem Keith, you're welcome

https://twitter.com/GraalTruth/status/1 ... 99170?s=09

Twitter is never the best place to use as "evidence".

You've mixed up two completely different things.

The likelihood of dying from the virus is very low, because most people haven't caught it and we've known right from the start that it has almost no impact upon the health of children. We already know that most people won't get it.

"Not getting" the virus is completely different to catching it and then, as you claimed "surviving" it.

The authors of the actual study have the 'Infection Fatality Ratio' (IFR) for Central Europe as 1.24% which is broadly within line with the figures presented elsewhere.

The "Severe Cases" for Central Europe is 4.63%. [This includes deaths].

Western Europe has a 0.9% IFR & 4.67% 'Severe Cases', so very slightly higher 'severe cases' but slightly lower mortality rate.

If (as you appear to be suggesting, the virus was allowed to simply run its course, until 100% of the population had been exposed to it, then using this study's estimates, 650,000 people in the UK would die from COVID-19.

The whole point of restrictions is to slow the spread down, not eradicate the virus. In the six months or so of the pandemic, there have been huge advances in the treatment of COVID-19. In March, if you were admitted to an intensive care unit with COVID-19, the mortality rate was >60%. It is now <30%. Pneumonia survival in ICU is around 20%, so the treatment has become far more effective. Also, as mentioned in the report, the risk is/was that ICU's and health systems generally, could be overwhelmed by a sudden spike in infections. However, also in the report, by focussing purely on COVID-19 restrictions, people will die due to other conditions not being treated;

"COVID-19 presents policymakers with difficult trade-offs. Many governments in low- and middle-income countries have resorted to severe lockdown measures which impose high costs. Recent estimates suggest COVID-19 mitigation efforts and the reallocation of healthcare resources in the developing world could contribute indirectly to over one million additional child deaths [22]. These unintended consequences must be weighed against the direct toll of an unmitigated pandemic...

...In the absence of widespread testing or reliable vital registration systems, transparent calculations of likely IFRs provide an important input into optimal policy design under extreme uncertainty, particularly as the pandemic expands into new geographies and/or a second wave of infections arrives
".

If you want to look beyond Twitter, the entire report is here:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Keith
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion