Season Preview & Hopes/Expectations for the season ahead

Season Preview & Hopes/Expectations for the season ahead

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:25 am

I thought it might be a good idea to create a new topic dedicated to how we think we’ll do this season.

This looks to be our finalised squad (20 senior players + 2 first-year pros):
(Thanks to Little Shrimp!)

GK: Turner, Halstead
RB: Cooney, Mellor
LB: Hendrie, Conlan
CB: Lavelle, Davis, Knight-Percival, Bakare
DM: Diagouraga, Kenyon
CM: Phillips, Wildig
AM/W: Pringle, Mendes-Gomes, O'Sullivan, McAlinden, Slew, Price
CF: Stockton, Leitch Smith

Key dates:

Tuesday 18th August 2020 - EFL Trophy group stage draw (1:30pm on TalkSPORT 2) (We’ve got Salford, Rochdale & Man Utd u23)
Tuesday 18th August 2020 - Carabao Cup 1st round draw (Sky Sports, time tbc) (We’ve got Grimsby away)
Friday 21st August 2020 - League Two fixtures announced at 9am (inc. 11 mid-week match rounds)
Saturday 22nd August 2020 - Friendly against Man Utd U23s

Saturday 5th September 2020 - Carabao Cup 1st round - Grimsby (A)
Tuesday 8th/Wednesday 9th September 2020 - EFL Trophy Matchday 1
Saturday 12th September 2020 - League Two season starts (matchday 1)
Tuesday 15th September 2020 - Carabao Cup 2nd Round
Tuesday 22nd September 2020 - Carabao Cup 3rd Round
Tuesday 29th September 2020 - Carabao Cup 4th Round

Tuesday 6th/Wednesday 7th October 2020 - EFL Trophy Matchday 2

Tuesday 10th/Wednesday 11th November 2020 - EFL Trophy Matchday 3

Tuesday 8th/Wednesday 9th December 2020 - EFL Trophy Round of 32
Tuesday 22nd December 2020 - Carabao Cup 5th Round

Tuesday 5th/Wednesday 6th January 2021 - Carabao Cup Semi-Finals (1 leg only, home is first out)
Tuesday 12th/Wednesday 13th January 2021 - EFL Trophy Round of 16

Tuesday 2nd/Wednesday 3rd February 2021 - EFL Trophy Quarter-Finals
Tuesday 16th/Wednesday 17th February 2021 - EFL Trophy Semi-Finals
Sunday 28th February 2021 - Carabao Cup Final

Sunday 14th March 2021 - EFL Trophy Final

Saturday 8th May 2021 - end date to the current League 2 season (or Sunday 9th May)
Friday 29th May 2021 - likely League 2 play-off final date

For what it’s worth, I reckon we’ll do a bit more than just stay up this season. I think the 60 point mark and a mid-table finish isn’t unrealistic at this stage.

Edits: colour-coding, adding in teams we’ve drawn
Last edited by RapidShrimp on Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RapidShrimp

Re: Season Preview & Hopes/Expectations for the season ahead

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:49 am

I think we are capable of a mid table finish this season. This will obviously be progress after the recent squeaky bum times.

The bookies will no doubt have us as firm favourites for relegation again which may underestimate what we are capable of. With this in mind weren't we 7/1 for a top half of the table finish last season? For those who like a flutter there are worse investments if the bookies offer similar odds.

I have been as guilty as many on here in the recent past of turning our geese into swans pre-season then being very disappointed when the real action starts. This season feels different and we are maybe right to be optimistic. Lets hope the swans turn out to be magnificent and the geese are few and far between!
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Andy D » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:53 am

hopefully an FA CUP run at long last!

and it would be so typical for us to get Man Utd away, but in an "Empty" stadium :?
Andy D

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:31 am

Mid table would be an outstanding achievement but the way the squad is shaping up and dependant on injuries, maybe shock a few sides and sneak into the play offs?
Either way, doesn't look for one minute they'll be the annual flirt with relegation and this is a good thing for all concerned.
HALMA 1983

Postby redrobo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 am

Mid table and an FA Cup run would be ideal and a vast improvement on previous seasons.

I think it is achievable but at the start of every season optimism is high but unfortunately short lived.

However their is a distinct feeling of change throughout the club at all levels which argues well for the new beginnings of something rather special. This started with a change of management, a new Commercial Manager, appointment of new Directors and the growing involvement of local based organisations.

If the players can perform to expectations on the field than a mid table position would be more than acceptable, but players thrive on success so maybe at long last this could be the season to see the rebirth of the mighty shrimps.

:D :D :D
redrobo

Postby AndyReifman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Andy D wrote:hopefully an FA CUP run at long last!

and it would be so typical for us to get Man Utd away, but in an "Empty" stadium :?

At the very least I'd assume we'd get some additional TV money right?
AndyReifman

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:17 pm

Harder to beat, more physical, more attacking intent and much more positive outlook as a club. Get that right and we will be ok.

Get rid of the negativity, the small club syndrome and the just happy to take part attitude.

Off the pitch things look in much better shape(without knowing the true impact of covid) so everything seems to be pointing in the right direction.
BerlinWaller

Postby Andy D » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:21 pm

AndyReifman wrote:
Andy D wrote:hopefully an FA CUP run at long last!

At the very least I'd assume we'd get some additional TV money right?

yeah, probably.

but its an away trip fans can only dream off.
Andy D

Postby sandgrown » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:55 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Harder to beat, more physical, more attacking intent and much more positive outlook as a club. Get that right and we will be ok.

Get rid of the negativity, the small club syndrome and the just happy to take part attitude.

Off the pitch things look in much better shape(without knowing the true impact of covid) so everything seems to be pointing in the right direction.

good post BW
sandgrown

Postby Ispyshrimp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:37 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Harder to beat, more physical, more attacking intent and much more positive outlook as a club. Get that right and we will be ok.

Totally agree
I think the club has done excellent this last 12 months in bringing in money through sponsorship of the stadium and stands amongst other things.
Without being over confident, we seem to have put together a good team, lower on numbers but higher on quality by the looks of things.
Having Burnley trust us again with 2 of their prospects once more shows the kind of draw and respect I think DA has
Get rid of the negativity of past seasons like BW says and a lot can be achieved both on and off the field
I cant wait for the season to start and hopefully be back on the terrace watching the shrimps
its nice to see more togetherness between fans and together i think a lot can be achieved at this family football club
Ispyshrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Mid table listen to yourselves! you're all Negative Ned's.

This is the new ambitious Morecambe, no longer here just to make up the numbers. Aim for the playoffs and see where we end up, I think I have been out in the sun too much :shock:
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm very hopeful we'll be well away from any real relegation this season. Above that, I wouldn't really be sure until seeing a few of our new players in action. Lavelle/Davis seems like a really solid CB pairing, and we have a bit more quality further up the pitch than in recent years so I'm hopeful.

Overall, I just want to see us compete more in games - look a solid League Two side fighting to move up the table. Too often in recent seasons we've been hoping for two worse teams than us and clinging on in games against average/beatable sides.
Little Shrimp

Postby jbc.shrimp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:21 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Mid table listen to yourselves! you're all Negative Ned's.

This is the new ambitious Morecambe, no longer here just to make up the numbers. Aim for the playoffs and see where we end up, I think I have been out in the sun too much :shock:

+1
jbc.shrimp

Postby Posh » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:23 pm

I agree with BW and (Lord forgive me) RedRobbo too.

In the past there was undoubtedly a lot to be negative about and not just the football on the pitch.

Jim kept us in the League, but I was talking about Tom Barky at right back yesterday. He's gone. Derek came at the right time and I'm glad we've got him.

Commercially, a goldmine was being dug by people with plastic spoons. They've gone and Martin is doing a fantastic job.

We've got directors who care. Charlie's first action was a fan survey and that was excellent. Still wonder what Jason and Colin's interest is but people appearing who could step in if they left.

Pitches sold, which was a big step.

However, one group who deserve a massive amount of credit is the Shrimps Trust. They've shown the club what being a supporter is and, in my view, have played a massive part in changes at the club:

- Great communication. Emails are friendly, informative and funny. And the club have started to respond.
- Commercial agreements showed the club what could be done.
- Events activity again showed how to engage fans.
- Issues the Trust have raised have been acted on in a way they've never been done before, from improvements behind the stand, to the roof, which the Trust said 'do something or we'll do it' and so much more.

The Trust have been brilliant and more people should join.

Lots to be positive about!
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Freez » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Heady heights of.......I would be happy with Mid table and some decent home wins to get some interest back locally.
With a cheeky tip at the playoffs if we play well away too!!
I’m told McAlinden is a centre forward, but then we were told Slew was the same, so time will tell.
And agree that there is definite feel good around both board, players and fans, and the Trust are indeed doing a fab job, hovering around 400 members, if you aren’t involved fair enough, but if you’re a fan, you should at least join and get the voice heard.
All good, onwards and upwards.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:21 pm

We just need that Umbongo fella to sign the we will be looking automatic promotion.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Freez wrote:Heady heights of.......I would be happy with Mid table and some decent home wins to get some interest back locally.
I’m told McAlinden is a centre forward, but then we were told Slew was the same, so time will tell.
And agree that there is definite feel good around both board, players and fans, and the Trust are indeed doing a fab job, hovering around 400 members, if you aren’t involved fair enough, but if you’re a fan, you should at least join and get the voice heard.

Slew has also been mentioned as being a winger. I think he will turn out ok after a full pre season training. Derek seems to have a good eye for a player so cut him some slack guys.

I have also seen somewhere that Knight-Percival has played on the wing and been quite decent so ignore what fans of Carlisle may say. He had a nickname of "Rolls Royce" at one of his clubs so again lets judge him on what he does for us.

The club has a very positive feel about it at the moment. All the stands with sponsors , the stadium having a proper sponsor rather than a defunct company. Wright & Lord back on the scene after a period of absence.

The PMG Leisure purchased by a local World Heavyweight boxing champion.

Decent training facilities , no need for anyone clearing dog poo and glass before training.

A really positive manager who has so far only one home defeat to his name and that was robbery by Oldham aided and abetted by Halstead !

I am hoping for a position on the top half anywhere from 12th upwards and dreaming of somewhere in the top 7.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Freez wrote:Heady heights of.......I would be happy with Mid table and some decent home wins to get some interest back locally.

Slew has also been mentioned as being a winger. I think he will turn out ok after a full pre season training. Derek seems to have a good eye for a player so cut him some slack guys.

I have also seen somewhere that Knight-Percival has played on the wing and been quite decent so ignore what fans of Carlisle may say. He had a nickname of "Rolls Royce" at one of his clubs so again lets judge him on what he does for us.

The club has a very positive feel about it at the moment. All the stands with sponsors , the stadium having a proper sponsor rather than a defunct company. Wright & Lord back on the scene after a period of absence.

The PMG Leisure purchased by a local World Heavyweight boxing champion.

Decent training facilities , no need for anyone clearing dog poo and glass before training.

A really positive manager who has so far only one home defeat to his name and that was robbery by Oldham aided and abetted by Halstead !

I am hoping for a position on the top half anywhere from 12th upwards and dreaming of somewhere in the top 7.

Nice post G.S but you can't just single out the goalie for that defeat, it's a team effort.
Hope you're right about sneaking into the top 7.
HALMA 1983

Postby Posh » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:00 am

HALMA 1983 wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:

Nice post G.S but you can't just single out the goalie for that defeat, it's a team effort.

Yeah, cut him some slack guy ;)
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:56 am

Posh wrote:
HALMA 1983 wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:

Yeah, cut him some slack guy ;)

I have cut him a fair amount of slack already guy but will cut him some more :lol: :lol:
Gone_Shrimping

Postby CityShrimp » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:30 pm

We’ll be all set to piss this tinpot league once Andy Bishop passes his medical with us
CityShrimp

Postby Freez » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:48 pm

Hope that Knight-Percival, McAlinden and Slew all come good Gone Shrimping, wasn’t judging them without seeing them, just passing on what I’d heard from Bradford, Carlisle and Exeter lads I know.
In the same way I’ve heard positive things about Davis, Hendrie and Turner, but until they are in red and in the heat of a tough League Two game, we won’t know about them either. Here’s hoping.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Andy D » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:16 pm

well chuffed with the squad, looks like its built for a 4-2-3-1 and two player's competing for every position.
Andy D

Return to General Discussion