The 5th New One Is Now In

The 5th New One Is Now In

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:58 am

Gone_Shrimping

Re: The 5th New One Is Now In

Postby tim-sanchez » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:26 pm

Fair enough, hopefully Newcastle are paying most of the wages and we've got a decent backup goalkeeper who can challenge Halstead.
tim-sanchez

Postby Caton83 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Reckon he'll be our first choice. No doubt he will have joined us to gain first team experience,and will probably come with provisos that he plays.
If so, I hope he can take the knocks coming his way, as he'll be a target being a young keeper, but in DA we trust. UTS
Caton83

Postby redrobo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:07 pm

An excellent piece of business by DA.

I prefer a loan keeper to give Mark competition especially if we have an agreement about wages, but I still think that Mark will be No1.
redrobo

Postby Ego Tripping » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:50 pm

I’d be surprised if Halstead was no1. Made a load of errors and we loaned in keeper last season to replace him. Expect Newcastle have sent Turner out on loan to play.
Ego Tripping

Postby Freez » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 pm

Agree that maybe Jake will be the No 1, harsh on Mark H in my opinion. He did get dropped after the defeat against Northampton at Sixfields as one goal was down to him. His loan replacement then proceeded to make more mistakes, and cost us more points, something that I think DA has looked at.
Mark is a decent keeper, hope Jake is too.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby CityShrimp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 pm

I agree Mark was treated slightly harshly. He made one or two errors and was replaced by the lad from Blackpool who proved to be not as good as Mark IMO.

I don’t think DA rates Mark unfortunately.
CityShrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:32 pm

I think Mark has been pretty unlucky since he joined the club really. He had a good run when Baz was out but was harshly blamed for a defeat and was dropped by Jim. DA replaced him pretty quickly as well.
BerlinWaller

Postby RedRedWine » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:09 pm

I like Mark.... Think he's a good shot stopper, but his style doesn't fill me with confidence. You can pick faults with every player at this level, for me he doesn't command his box and is stuck on his line too often for crosses. He has to improve in these areas.

I think the new guy is coming here to start. Mafoumbi wasn't great, but was straight in the team ahead of Mark. That says a lot to me. It's up to Mark to prove his worth and change Derek's mind.... I think its highly doubtful Mark would've been offered a new deal had his current one expired, not to second guess the manager but look at what happened with team selection after Northampton away.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:01 am

I also think that we haven't brought in a goalkeeper from a Premier League club just to put pressure on Mark. He won't have come as a "freebie". He has come to be our number 1 keeper.

Mark is a really good shot stopper but as mentioned he doesn't command his area , he fists away when he could catch and that keeps us under pressure.

Jake is 21 , the same age that Joe was in our first league season 2007/2008 and he did really well for us.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby black morse » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:08 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I also think that we haven't brought in a goalkeeper from a Premier League club just to put pressure on Mark. He won't have come as a "freebie". He has come to be our number 1 keeper.

Mark is a really good shot stopper but as mentioned he doesn't command his area , he fists away when he could catch and that keeps us under pressure.

Jake is 21 , the same age that Joe was in our first league season 2007/2008 and he did really well for us.

Seem to remember the same thing being said about Baz plus the fact that Baz was not good with shots from outside the area.
black morse

Postby nobbyshrimp » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:06 pm

nobbyshrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Baz was fantastic when the ball was within reach but struggled moving his feet. I always thought that for such a big lad, he somehow got smaller when he jumped for a cross.

I don't know Mark but from the media content and the matches he played in, he comes across as a very laid back guy. The talent is there but he isn't a dominant goalie.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:46 am

Read somewhere that he was valued at £4 million by Bolton and that Man Utd expressed interest prior to his move to Newcastle.

If he reproduces the form that valued him so highly for us then a bloody good loan deal negotiated by DA and shows for me the calibre of our manager.
redrobo

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:22 pm

redrobo wrote:Read somewhere that he was valued at £4 million by Bolton and that Man Utd expressed interest prior to his move to Newcastle.

If he reproduces the form that valued him so highly for us then a bloody good loan deal negotiated by DA and shows for me the calibre of our manager.

You probably read it in the report that ‘nobby shrimp’ linked two posts above this one
RapidShrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Jake will be wearing the No.1 shirt
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:36 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Jake will be wearing the No.1 shirt

Yes , I saw that , it seems to confirm who I think will get first crack at holding down the keeping position.

We have 3 keepers in the squad as number 13 is the young keeper and we have 23 players when Derek mentioned having 20 + 2.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Caton83 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Couple of things to note. Whilst not his biggest fan, Mafoumbi was brought in while Mark was waiting for a hip operation to keep him out for 4 months, but Covid19, has meant that he didn't miss much. He was only fit enough for the bench in that period. Regarding the numbers, I believe that Mark was given the option of changing his number, but opted to keep the number that he has had for most of his career. Who starts as first choice (rather than the number on their shirt), remains to be seen. I agree that Jake may we'll start, but I don't think that Mark should be ruled out and cast aside just yet, especially not by the number that any player wears.Patricio at wolves, based on his number 11, should be a left winger !. Just saying
Caton83

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Caton83 wrote:Couple of things to note. Whilst not his biggest fan, Mafoumbi was brought in while Mark was waiting for a hip operation to keep him out for 4 months, but Covid19, has meant that he didn't miss much. He was only fit enough for the bench in that period. Regarding the numbers, I believe that Mark was given the option of changing his number, but opted to keep the number that he has had for most of his career. Who starts as first choice (rather than the number on their shirt), remains to be seen. I agree that Jake may we'll start, but I don't think that Mark should be ruled out and cast aside just yet, especially not by the number that any player wears.Patricio at wolves, based on his number 11, should be a left winger !. Just saying

Competition is healthy and the young lad comes from a great club, with something to prove
Hopefully Mark can rise again and make Derek's choice a difficult one.
Mafoumbi wasn't an upgrade on Halstead but that time has passed!
HALMA 1983

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:46 pm

Caton83 wrote:Couple of things to note. Whilst not his biggest fan, Mafoumbi was brought in while Mark was waiting for a hip operation to keep him out for 4 months, but Covid19, has meant that he didn't miss much. He was only fit enough for the bench in that period. Regarding the numbers, I believe that Mark was given the option of changing his number, but opted to keep the number that he has had for most of his career. Who starts as first choice (rather than the number on their shirt), remains to be seen. I agree that Jake may we'll start, but I don't think that Mark should be ruled out and cast aside just yet, especially not by the number that any player wears.Patricio at wolves, based on his number 11, should be a left winger !. Just saying

Mark has been moved from no.21 to 12 - our last 12 was Sutton and before that Jason Oswell! Just shows that numbers don’t mean a lot (just look at Alexander-Arnold still wearing no.66 for eg)

However, Halstead for me just simply isn’t good enough. He had a good run of form that (somehow!) gave him a player of the year honour but since he was rewarded with a 2-year deal he’s looked very shoddy since and, although he wasn’t perfect, I thought Mafoumbi was superior by a fair distance. Derek certainly wouldn’t have kept Mark if his deal expired this Summer that’s for certain.
RapidShrimp

Postby Freez » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:04 pm

I know it’s about opinions, and everyone has one. Halstead did make a couple of errors, notably at home to Oldham and a weak performance at Northampton away and this is what prompted DA to seek a loan keeper. And his Achilles heel is defo punching when he could catch some crosses.
Mafoumbi came in and proved himself agile and a decent shot stopper, for me however, his knowing when to come and when to stay both from set pieces and when one on one was all over the place and cost us at least three goals I can think of, Grimsby opener away was one such dithering which lead to an easy finish when the attacker was heading away from goal. Last game we played at Newport, he punched weakly and flapped at the shot, we lost. Judging him by the harshest standards, same as Halstead, all told, Mafoumbi gave away more points than Halstead, in my opinion, obvs.
So obviously Turner may well start, but after his op, Halstead should push him hard.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Flapping has been a problem of ours for some time
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm

I think Halstead is quite a reactive keeper, while Mafoumbi was more proactive.

Halstead is a superb shot stopper on his day. His one on one technique is very good, although I think when he rushes out at angles he sometimes gets the angles a little wrong. I think he's a bit more of a 'line keeper' and it isn't always his first thought to rush out to catch crosses, hence why he punches more often. I don't really mind the punching as he's often clear in his decision that he wants to punch. It's far better than a keeper coming out wanting to catch, then misjudging it and flapping.

Mafoumbi I felt was a bit more proactive coming off his line which as a trait is something I generally prefer in a keeper but as has been mentioned, made a few slightly questionable calls when leaving his line. Don't think there were any real howlers, just sometimes either hesitating too much or being too quick off his line. His shot stopping wasn't quite the level of Halstead's although he was definitely pretty solid in that department. Thought he commanded his area a bit better and his kicking was pretty good.

Overall, don't think there was that much between Halstead and Mafoumbi - just quite different styles of keeper. Looking forward to seeing what Turner will bring to the table. As mentioned by Big Baz in the training video, he expects there to be good competition between him and Halstead.
Little Shrimp

Return to General Discussion