Struggling to Get Enthusiastic?

Struggling to Get Enthusiastic?

Postby Keith » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:16 am

Anyone else struggling to get enthusiastic about the new season? Bloody COVID chaos has really taken away any excitement that would normally be brewing nicely. Pre-season friendlies should be organised and signings joining. Repeated threads asking when the fixtures are out? [Talking of which, when ARE the fixtures out?] Do we even know for sure if Stevenage are relegated? Weren't they considering a legal challenge?

I've got the added issue, being on the Isle of Man. Anyone leaving the Island must quarantine for 14 days on return. So if I come across to watch football (when spectators are allowed) then I'll have 14 days quarantine to follow up, so unless things change substantially, that isn't worth doing. It's weird here, because we clamped down very early, we've been COVID-19 free for a couple of months and we don't have any restrictions, other than on travel. No masks, no giving details or booking a table in a pub, no social distancing, everything is normal and has been for weeks now. Ironically, that is adding to my malaise regarding football, because here, we're just living normally, so have to keep reminding myself that the UK is still... ...weird.

I don't know what is happening lower down the Leagues either? The Isle of Man had been accepted in to the North West Counties for the first time ever. Can't see away games being easy if they have 14 days quarantine on return from each match, so presumably, they won't be able to join now. And I've not even been enthusiastic about football on TV. Only being a 'Morecambe' fan, not a 'football fan', I've only watched one game on TV, and that's 'cause it was on in the pub. It's like watching a pre-season kick about, so I haven't even had that to raise some enthusiasm :(

iFollow at an empty ground will be 'interesting'.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Struggling to Get Enthusiastic?

Postby Freez » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm

No it won’t, a big part of the IFollow experience is the crowd and the reactions, not looking forward to it at all if there is nobody there. It won’t be the same.
As for fixtures, I’m hoping that the Bolton, Bradford, Carlisle or Barrow home or away games aren’t too early as they are money spinners and easy to get to for us and them, but they’ll be shite without a crowd. :roll:
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby redrobo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if we got Bolton over the Christmas period. Barrow probably play Carlisle during the same period BUT the fixture lists often seem illogical with mid week games down South as a prime example. For me mid week games should be teams within a 75 mile radius if possible.
redrobo

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Like many, I want to support the club and get a season ticket. However I am struggling to justify doing this until fixtures come out and there's some clarity on attending matches. Also what is the contingency is for games we aren't allowed to attend? I'd be happy to accept Morecambe Player for any games behind closed doors but I guess others may see it differently.

It makes sense to extend the early bird offer until at least a week or two after things become clearer and official announcements right? Perhaps one of the directors who read this forum might be able to respond?
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby AppleShrimp » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi Wild Bill,

We are still awaiting instruction and decisions by the EFL.

I appreciate that lack of clarity is frustrating, but rest assured, as soon as we know more, we will communicate immediately.

In positive news, the squad are starting to train again and we will hopefully have some exciting player news to announce next week https://www.thevisitor.co.uk/sport/foot ... es-2925253 and some commercial updates.

Bear with us, we’re getting there. Still lots to do.

We’re really excited about the new season, so hopefully Keith is in a minority! :D

Regards
Charlie Appleyard
AppleShrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm

Looking like the first 3/4 games will be behind closed doors, so I would guess that they'd all be available on iFollow for maybe a standard fee (£10?).

While I do understand people's reservations on how enjoyable supporting Morecambe will be when it returns, I think most will be pleasantly surprised. I've lived in Leeds for about 5 years now and since Bielsa took over (tickled my football geek interest), I've started adopting them as a bit of a second team. Having someone to support when the Championship came back was really great. As much as I enjoy football in general with the Bundesliga and Premier League etc coming back, when a team I had some support for came back there was just that extra bit of exhilaration and excitement.

Morecambe are obviously my 'true love' though, so it will be amazing when the games start again - in whatever way we're able to consume them. The buzz leading up to the match, getting wound up by the team selection, and then whatever emotional rollercoaster takes place over the 90 minutes and the tension from that. You really miss it and even if it's at a little bit more of a distance when it does come back, I anticipate everybody will still be able to get that exhilaration and excitement that comes from supporting your club.
Little Shrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:24 pm

AppleShrimp wrote:Hi Wild Bill,

We are still awaiting instruction and decisions by the EFL.

I appreciate that lack of clarity is frustrating, but rest assured, as soon as we know more, we will communicate immediately.

In positive news, the squad are starting to train again and we will hopefully have some exciting player news to announce next week https://www.thevisitor.co.uk/sport/foot ... es-2925253 and some commercial updates.

Bear with us, we’re getting there. Still lots to do.

We’re really excited about the new season, so hopefully Keith is in a minority! :D

Regards
Charlie Appleyard

Thanks Charlie. I appreciate that its difficult for the club but if there isn't clarity before Friday's early bird offer ending, I'd imagine some may just choose to pay as you go for 20/21. Therefore, I'd imagine an early bird extension seems like a logical move?
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Freez » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:50 pm

It’s a fair point Wild Bill, with no fixtures out yet and no definitive date for being able to return to the stadium, it’s difficult for anyone to commit to a season ticket, particularly working families who won’t allocate funds for something they aren’t going to be able to watch.
It’s very noble and generous from all the fans who donated their season ticket refund to the club from last season, but I did understand people not wanting to commit without more info for 20/21.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:20 pm

I am in two minds about taking up the early bird offer to renew my ticket. I will renew but like it has been said, it is hard to commit to the purchase when we have no definite date for when we will be allowed in. I am very aware that the club needs the income so could there be some kind of a compromise? Could we lay down a deposit for a ST now and pay the rest when we are allowed in again?
BerlinWaller

Postby MFC-Manc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:25 am

The club seem to have already sold the same number of season tickets as last season. Yet there are a few regulars who haven’t bought them yet. Hopefully this is good sign as people seem to be returning.
I'm getting by just the best I can, While you're directing traffic
MFC-Manc

Postby HALMA 1983 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:26 am

BerlinWaller wrote:I am in two minds about taking up the early bird offer to renew my ticket. I will renew but like it has been said, it is hard to commit to the purchase when we have no definite date for when we will be allowed in. I am very aware that the club needs the income so could there be some kind of a compromise? Could we lay down a deposit for a ST now and pay the rest when we are allowed in again?

With only two days to go, we all need this question answering but your idea would seem very practical right now.
HALMA 1983

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:04 am

I have to be honest and say we're not renewing as it stands. It's nothing against the club, but the combination of not knowing when or how we'll be able to watch football, the huge question mark over a second phase, which the NHS are already gearing up for, which will potentially shut down the game again, or at the very least exclude fans, as well as the big hit in income we've had (helped, but by no means covered, by the Treasury handout), means I genuinely can't afford to take the risk. I didn't, however, claim my refund on last year's ticket - that I've happily let go to the club. I think for this season we'll possibly look at an iFollow subscription, but more likely we'll pay/attend on a game by game basis.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:37 am

I've renewed C Prem knowing that we will be moved to C and have paid the reduced rate, which will go back up when we are able to go back to the padded seats.
With C1 and C2 being taken up by quite a lot of season ticket holders already and the fact that there may well be 3 spare seats between "bubbles", I would say that not buying a season ticket will mean you sitting in a white seat on the day.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby RapidShrimp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:53 pm

marky No.1 wrote:I've renewed C Prem knowing that we will be moved to C and have paid the reduced rate, which will go back up when we are able to go back to the padded seats.
With C1 and C2 being taken up by quite a lot of season ticket holders already and the fact that there may well be 3 spare seats between "bubbles", I would say that not buying a season ticket will mean you sitting in a white seat on the day.

I think for most people the ‘risk’ of getting assigned a white seat instead of a superior red one is much lesser of a risk than spending hundreds of £s for no guaranteed return. I for one would sit anywhere to watch the match if it is safe but I’m not risking hundreds of pounds in these circumstances - I’m in the same situation as Phil A.
RapidShrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:09 pm

I'm in a white seat already. I just hope that either mid-season or next season we can get either the same seats back or somewhere close.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby sandgrown » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:32 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:I am in two minds about taking up the early bird offer to renew my ticket. I will renew but like it has been said, it is hard to commit to the purchase when we have no definite date for when we will be allowed in. I am very aware that the club needs the income so could there be some kind of a compromise? Could we lay down a deposit for a ST now and pay the rest when we are allowed in again?

if you go for the 2 season ticket, you pay for it in 12 monthly payments !
sandgrown

Postby HALMA 1983 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:01 pm

It's obvious the interest has grown and more folk will be buying a season ticket this time around but we need to have more clarity before the Friday deadline, I intend buying two season tickets and look forward to giving the club much needed funds in advance.
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Growing enthusiasm now my shirts have arrived! :D
Attachments
IMG_20200729_163816.jpg
IMG_20200729_163816.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm

I’ve not renewed. And again no disrespect to the club. There just isn’t any clarity over when we can attend games, how that will work, if away fans will be there and what will happen if a second wave comes. I was happy to give the club about £50 for the unused part of my season ticket and then more on the fundraiser (no news on my shirt yet though), but i think all fans across the country need some more detail before parting with their money.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Vinny » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Posh wrote:I’ve not renewed. And again no disrespect to the club. There just isn’t any clarity over when we can attend games, how that will work, if away fans will be there and what will happen if a second wave comes. I was happy to give the club about £50 for the unused part of my season ticket and then more on the fundraiser (no news on my shirt yet though), but i think all fans across the country need some more detail before parting with their money.

Ditto for me. Plus I'll soon be moving to Scotland, so iFollow likely for most games for me, getting down for occasional games. I'm excited tho' at the prospect of matches again and seeing DA's revamped squad and play. COYS!!!
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am

Sounds like quite a few fans of a similar mindset. Both me and my brother will probably commit if the early bird offer is extended until the season gets firmed up and there's a contingency for matches played behind closed doors, such as being able to see these on Player.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:58 am

I have renewed mine and the friend I go with has renewed his. Another friend who didn't buy a season ticket for 2019/2020 due to the dire football in the last few seasons has also bought one for next season.

I heard something along the lines that only season ticket holders will be admitted when football re-starts as a way of ensuring social distancing , not sure how correct that rumour is.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby KenH » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:45 am

Wild Bill wrote:Sounds like quite a few fans of a similar mindset. Both me and my brother will probably commit if the early bird offer is extended until the season gets firmed up and there's a contingency for matches played behind closed doors, such as being able to see these on Player.

Likewise. We've been ST holders in the red seats since the move, but at £738 for the two of us, it's too much of a risk without anything concrete for the new season. We've not claimed any of the discounts/refunds for the 19/20 season early finish, but that's as far as we can go to help the club at the moment as we're seeing a massive drop in income due to covid (small business not qualifying for govt support like the other 3 million like us who've fallen through the cracks).

I know there's a lot of doubt about if/when/how fans will get back to watch games, but I don't think the club is doing itself any favours by imposing such an early deadline for ST renewals. Unfortunately, as the "normal" price for us would be £918 if we buy after the early bird deadline, sorry, but's that's just not going to happen. So it looks as if we won't be buying ST's this season.

I would hope that they extend the deadline to at least a time when there are concrete plans.
KenH

Postby KenH » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I heard something along the lines that only season ticket holders will be admitted when football re-starts as a way of ensuring social distancing , not sure how correct that rumour is.

Surely that's just common sense. What else could they do? If they have 1000 ST's sold and can only admit 1000 fans due to SD, then it's a no brainer that's all they can do. They're hardly likely to turn away ST holders so they can sell a few tickets at the gate.

If they have sold 1000 STs and can accommodate 1500 fans, then they're going to go for a hard sell approach to sell a further 500 STs on the grounds that it's the only way to get into the stadium, i.e. ST holders only.
KenH

Postby dazza » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:35 am

i do think that most people are of the same opinion

happy to let last seasons money go to the club but are wary of paying out during this time of uncertainty , especially when a lot of people have been furloughed and only receiving 80 percent wages

it would be nice for the club to make a announcement whether its a close off tomorrow or extended

I understand the club needs money but at least it gives the people the option of- purchase take a gamble,, or don't uptake on early bird saving and await more news or the other option of just leave it
pay on the day for games you fancy, which has to be the worst option for the clubs wellbeing
****dazza****
dazza

Next

Return to General Discussion