Struggling to Get Enthusiastic?

Re: Struggling to Get Enthusiastic?

Postby shrimperteer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Phil you beat me to it I know a few people who have died as an indirect cause as they didnt get the care they normally would.

Also take someone like Eddie Large 4 weeks in hospital with heart failure but then got covid so did he die of covid or heart failure?

Also a lot of people in care homes were put straight on DNR and told they shouldnt have been taken to hospital in order to save the NHS.

The Eddie Large example wouldn’t have been an ‘above average’ death then. If he was going to die of heart failure anyway then he wouldn’t add to the 65000 above average deaths. If a large number of people who have died with Covid rather than of Covid then the excess deaths is massive.

It is a number we could see going down for the year though (the deaths above average that is, obviously total deaths can’t go down) if people who were going to die this year anyway have been taken early by Covid it means they won’t be adding to the figures later in the year.
It’s a tough balancing act, both practically and ethically on how to proceed. I’d always trust epidemiologists and analysts over the likes of Richard Littlejohn and Nick Ferrari when it comes to how to proceed however.
shrimperteer

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:40 pm

shrimperteer wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:Phil you beat me to it I know a few people who have died as an indirect cause as they didnt get the care they normally would.

Also take someone like Eddie Large 4 weeks in hospital with heart failure but then got covid so did he die of covid or heart failure?

Also a lot of people in care homes were put straight on DNR and told they shouldnt have been taken to hospital in order to save the NHS.

The Eddie Large example wouldn’t have been an ‘above average’ death then. If he was going to die of heart failure anyway then he wouldn’t add to the 65000 above average deaths. If a large number of people who have died with Covid rather than of Covid then the excess deaths is massive.

It is a number we could see going down for the year though (the deaths above average that is, obviously total deaths can’t go down) if people who were going to die this year anyway have been taken early by Covid it means they won’t be adding to the figures later in the year.
It’s a tough balancing act, both practically and ethically on how to proceed. I’d always trust epidemiologists and analysts over the likes of Richard Littlejohn and Nick Ferrari when it comes to how to proceed however.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... test-trace

Total deaths per week below 5 year average for 6 weeks in a row. I guess that supports, if not proves, the point you're making.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:15 pm

Keith wrote:I've got the added issue, being on the Isle of Man. Anyone leaving the Island must quarantine for 14 days on return. .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe ... n-53868709
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:33 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
Keith wrote:I've got the added issue, being on the Isle of Man. Anyone leaving the Island must quarantine for 14 days on return. .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe ... n-53868709

We don't **** about over here! 8-) There have been a few spending their quarantine and a bit more, eating prison food.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Born again Bill » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:09 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe ... n-53868709[/quote]

We don't **** about over here! 8-) There have been a few spending their quarantine and a bit more, eating prison food.[/quote]

And rightly so Keith, but to be fair after watching the documentary about the IOM prison it's more like a fortnight at Butlins than a castodial sentence ;)
Born again Bill

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Born again Bill wrote:And rightly so Keith, but to be fair after watching the documentary about the IOM prison it's more like a fortnight at Butlins than a custodial sentence ;)

I don't know anyone on the IoM who watched it (although I'm sure some did!) most people over here were appalled by it.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:06 am

Keith wrote:
Born again Bill wrote:And rightly so Keith, but to be fair after watching the documentary about the IOM prison it's more like a fortnight at Butlins than a custodial sentence ;)

I don't know anyone on the IoM who watched it (although I'm sure some did!) most people over here were appalled by it.
If nobody watched it how are they appalled?
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Andy D » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 am

Posh wrote:I’ve not renewed. And again no disrespect to the club. There just isn’t any clarity over when we can attend games, how that will work, if away fans will be there and what will happen if a second wave comes. I was happy to give the club about £50 for the unused part of my season ticket and then more on the fundraiser (no news on my shirt yet though), but i think all fans across the country need some more detail before parting with their money.

there's quite a few who i know taken this attitude.

although i'm not made of money i just paid for C Prem again knowing for most the time i will be getting relocated i just see it as helping the club out financially.
Andy D

Postby redrobo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:01 am

I doubt the clubs themselves are fully aware of when fans can get back to watching a game from a stadium.

Considering the changing circumstances surrounding the virus I don't see how the EFL or for that matter the Government can do anything differently than to make decisions on the circumstances as they develop.

It's easy to be critical but I doubt anything would change under different leadership.
redrobo

Postby Posh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:02 am

Westgate Wanderer wrote:
Keith wrote:

Surely not knowing anything about a subject but having expert and vociferous opinion on it is about 90% of social media these days.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:03 am

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:13 am

I think things will develop pretty quickly once there have been trials in different sports. Snooker and Rugby have had spectators and with Brighton and The FA Vase doing the same this weekend, all being well October should see us back in the ground.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-conseq ... eases-hcid
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:17 am

It's going to be rather strange, wearing a face covering in the open air and unable to open your mouth throughout the whole game but it's that or nothing.
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:12 pm

Westgate Wanderer wrote:
Keith wrote:

Appalled that it was allowed to be filmed in the first place and that it made 15 minute celebrities out of thugs & petty criminals.

Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion