O/T StaySure Insurance

O/T StaySure Insurance

Postby redrobo » Fri May 22, 2020 2:57 pm

We had hoped to be going to Austria, Slovenia and Hungary in a couple of weeks time but the virus has changed all that.... :(

Our travel insurance had been booked in February with StaySure but are now refusing to either give us a refund or even a pro rata voucher for future trips.

Is anybody else having problems with this company.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: O/T StaySure Insurance

Postby Phil Anderer » Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Neil,

Check the wording on your policy, as it may not cover you for pandemics. I know there's been stuff in the press about businesses not being able to claim under Business Interruption, and chatting with Mrs A, who has worked in commercial insurance (but never on the claims or selling sides) for many years, their policies would not have included such cover. They can only refuse to pay out if there is no appropriate cover included in the policy, as far as I'm aware.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby redrobo » Fri May 22, 2020 4:27 pm

StaySure are saying that any policy purchased AFTER March 13 will not be valid due to the virus.

As we purchased if before that date and the fact that it doesn't mention anything about pandemics in its exclusions that we feel that we are due at least a valid Travel Insurance Voucher for future use that they have publicized on their web site for a period of up to 36 months. Unfortunately they are not at the moment honoring that commitment.

Just wondered if anybody else on SVs is having similar problems with Travel Insurance refunds of vouchers?
redrobo

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:05 pm

redrobo wrote:StaySure are saying that any policy purchased AFTER March 13 will not be valid due to the virus.

As we purchased if before that date and the fact that it doesn't mention anything about pandemics in its exclusions that we feel that we are due at least a valid Travel Insurance Voucher for future use that they have publicized on their web site for a period of up to 36 months. Unfortunately they are not at the moment honoring that commitment.

Just wondered if anybody else on SVs is having similar problems with Travel Insurance refunds of vouchers?

You will have all these complicated flight's of fancy
Why not just have a staycation in the UK, like we have for the last 35 years :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sat May 23, 2020 8:14 am

Yes I've got an ongoing claim with Staysure who like you, refuse to budge EVEN THOUGH WE PAID AN EXTRA £50 to cover pandemics! I've sent it back to them to be reconsidered so probably another 7/8 weeks before I hear anything again. We were taking the family to Orlando beginning of April but it went tits up naturally and the worst company I've had to deal with so far is Staysure but thankfully I'm only claiming a few hundred £s off them from the many thousands spent.
Did you book on credit card? Can you not submit a section75 claim back? Some debit cards also offer this which means the credit card company are equally as responsible for your booking as your travel provider. We paid direct for a private villa so this is what I am fighting to claim back but not paid for on card.
nobbyshrimp

Postby Richard Head » Sat May 23, 2020 1:58 pm

When Superbreak went bust last year we lost the Copenhagen hotel booking we had made through them and had to re book a room at the hotel.

Because we had used a credit card for the original booking they refunded us for what we had lost. All straight forward, just a phone call and proof that Superbreak had gone bust, refund paid in less than a week
Richard Head

Postby Brian S » Sat May 23, 2020 3:16 pm

Why are you claiming on your insurance?

What has been cancelled?

If you are claiming because you don't want to travel, you're not covered because you've just changed your mind.

If your hotels are closed and/transport cancelled, whoever has cancelled should refund.

Anything your left out of pocket, that's where insurance kicks in.
Brian S

Postby redrobo » Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm

I expected a refund on a policy that wasn't used (due to the virus) just like some of the major Insurance companies are already doing but StaySure are not prepared to do so offering to some a travel voucher valid for the next 3 years but there are strict conditions attached to it which a growing number of their customers are being refused.

Without doubt the most unhelpful Customer Services Department it's been my misfortune to have dealt with.....but I'm like a dog with a bone....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
redrobo

Postby Brian S » Sat May 23, 2020 6:40 pm

Insurance is taken out to cover a loss that is out of your control and you haven't said what your losses are.

There are flights starting to appear for June and other countries are starting to open up. If you've decided not to travel because you don't want to risk it, you don't want to spend 2 weeks in quarantine on your return, etc then that is not the fault of the airlines and hotels. They've laid on the services for you to have a holiday and if you decide not to go, your insurer won't pay out.

This isn't just aimed at you Neil, it's hard facts for anyone with holidays booked in the coming months.
Brian S

Postby redrobo » Sun May 24, 2020 11:29 am

If you decide to sell your car for instance and do not buy a replacement you apply and get a refund on your car tax and insurance because both are no longer needed.

If you are unable to use your travel insurance because in this case the virus which has resulted in the loss of all travel particularly outside the country it's perfectly understandable and in my opinion legal to expect the travel insurance company to cancel the policy and refund the client.

Interestingly when one delves into the history of refunds from StaySure there is a catalogue of claims being denied even to those who have had to cancel due to family and fellow travelers bereavements.

The lesson I have learned from this entire episode is to use one of the larger insurance companies for future travel who have documented evidence of refunding the client. But like others I was taken in by the ad campaign and of course the relatively low cost. :oops:
redrobo

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 pm

Neil, unless the holiday has been cancelled by the travel company or there is express FO guidance saying not to travel to the country/ies in question, then your insurance won't pay out, i.e. if it's your decision not to go, the insurance is not obliged to pay.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Keith » Sun May 24, 2020 2:30 pm

redrobo wrote:If you are unable to use your travel insurance because in this case the virus which has resulted in the loss of all travel particularly outside the country it's perfectly understandable and in my opinion legal to expect the travel insurance company to cancel the policy and refund the client.

Am I misunderstanding you, ...are you saying that you want the insurance company refund what you paid to them because your holiday has been cancelled?

Was the insurance purely to cover that trip or was it an annual policy? Most travel insurance that I've bought is for a year, no matter how often you travel, so can't see that you'd have a claim. If you bought it specifically for that trip then 'perhaps'?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Brian S » Sun May 24, 2020 2:48 pm

I think you're lucky getting anything from them. You buy an insurance policy, eventually don't need it then ask for a refund. Their terms are clear

Cancellation fees applicable:
If a cancellation is made within the 14 day cooling-off period and you have not made a claim, we will
refund the premium minus postage charge, administration fee and any transaction fee. If a cancellation
is made outside the 14 day cooling-off period and you have not made a claim, we will only cancel under
exceptional circumstances. In this situation you would get a pro rata refund of the premium minus postage
charge, administration fee and any transaction fees. This may not apply to Single Trip travel policies.
Brian S

Postby redrobo » Sun May 24, 2020 5:04 pm

Can I cancel my travel insurance policy if I can’t travel?

If you can’t travel and want to cancel your travel insurance policy, you can do so within the cooling off period (14 days of the date you bought your policy.) We can offer you either a full refund as a voucher for you to use at a later date, or a cash refund minus an admin charge.

[b]If you choose to cancel your Single Trip Travel Insurance policy outside of the 14 day cooling off period, you can receive a pro-rata Voucher Credit refund of the amount you paid for your policy.

This voucher will be valid for 36 months, as long as you haven’t travelled and haven’t or aren’t intending to make a claim. The voucher can be used to pay in full or part pay for future policies and mid-term amendments. More information about cancellations can be found here.[/

This is the bit that they refuse to honour. Not only myself but many others as well.

Anyhow my problem and others to resolve.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
redrobo

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:51 pm

We paid a 600 quid deposit on a holiday last September for the end of July this year, the balance was due on the 27th of April but we were advised by the travel firm not to pay it because of the amount involved, in other words, they couldn't guarantee the safety of any monies being paid.

We received our travel insurance back because I moved swiftly on that news, we await news on the holiday but there's not a chance in hell we'll be going now and if we can't get a refund, I'd like to think that we could use it on another holiday next year but who knows?
HALMA 1983

Postby Brian S » Sun May 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Have your flights and hotels been cancelled yet?
Brian S

Return to General Discussion