Retained/Released?

Retained/Released?

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri May 15, 2020 6:56 pm

Noticed Carlisle announced their retained/released list today - not the first club by any stretch to have done so already. Lewis Alessandra has been offered a new deal by them.

Had a look over Transfermrkt which has our squad for next season as Lavelle, Conlan, Cranston, O'Sullivan and Leitch-Smith. Some departures seem inevitable (Buxton, Tutte, Ellison) with a few others I think looking pretty likely as well (Halstead, Sutton).

CMG will obviously be the priority to keep, but will be very interesting to see who else has impressed DA enough for a new contract. Kenyon has really stepped up a level as has Wildig. Old has been solid but age may play against him a little. Stockton has not got many goals but DA seems to have been pleased with his overall performances. The Oates situation will be interesting too, I had him nailed on to be let go a few months back but looking at how quickly DA has had him back in the side from the bench, I wonder if he's been impressing in training?
Little Shrimp

Re: Retained/Released?

Postby Andy D » Fri May 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Little Shrimp wrote: The Oates situation will be interesting too, I had him nailed on to be let go a few months back but looking at how quickly DA has had him back in the side from the bench, I wonder if he's been impressing in training?

seen him at a Q&A night with Andrew Fleming and Sam Lavelle and thought Oates came across very well, and think that Derek Adams could easily improve him as a player by just working on his fitness alone, certainly likes shooting from outside the box and chips in with goals.

My Favourite player this season Toumani Diagouraga for me made the difference, he gave us that presence in midfield we’d been lacking for ages, like the missing piece in the jigsaw.
Andy D

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 15, 2020 8:53 pm

I understand that Derek Adams has been ringing up the players and support staff every week since the lock-down started to make sure they are coping and are ok.

just confirmed my opinion of DA that the club did really well to attract him to Morecambe FC.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Redalert1970 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:09 am

Craig Conway and Micheal o Connor released by Salford

Deffo both worth a look
Redalert1970

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 17, 2020 6:51 am

At 33 and 35 , I would say not.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Andy D » Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 am

mrpotatohead wrote:At 33 and 35 , I would say not.

yes, let’s sign for Morecambe and go into semi-retirement and wind down.
Andy D

Postby Redalert1970 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:36 am

Like we have never signed 33 year old players before ???
Redalert1970

Postby Keith » Sun May 17, 2020 8:58 am

Redalert1970 wrote:Like we have never signed 33 year old players before ???

I thought you said (rather rudely) that you'd been banned from from the message board?
Then, when I told you, you hadn't, you replied that you had and that you weren't "bothering with the site again"? Yet here you are?

Funny, you didn't send an email apologising for your error?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun May 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:
CMG will obviously be the priority to keep

I think the club has a one-year extension on his contract? Though he definitely deserves a new contract tying him down.
tim-sanchez

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun May 17, 2020 1:42 pm

I'm really excited about this transfer window(when it happens). I'm looking forward to seeing the calibre of player DA can attract and the way he will move the club forward.
BerlinWaller

Postby black morse » Sun May 17, 2020 5:21 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:I'm really excited about this transfer window(when it happens). I'm looking forward to seeing the calibre of player DA can attract and the way he will move the club forward.

Surely much will depend on how much money we have left once football can restart and how much other clubs have.
black morse

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Will DA be able to shift the ones out that he doesn't see a future for ? Buxton and Conlan , maybe Halstead.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun May 17, 2020 6:51 pm

black morse wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:I'm really excited about this transfer window(when it happens). I'm looking forward to seeing the calibre of player DA can attract and the way he will move the club forward.

Surely much will depend on how much money we have left once football can restart and how much other clubs have.

That kind of goes without saying. Nobody knows the extent of the damage done to clubs but hopefully calling the league off has helped stem the losses. Salford have let 11 go today and other teams will follow i think. There will be a large pool of free agents who might not be able to get the wages they would have demanded in the past.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
black morse wrote:

That kind of goes without saying. Nobody knows the extent of the damage done to clubs but hopefully calling the league off has helped stem the losses. Salford have let 11 go today and other teams will follow i think. There will be a large pool of free agents who might not be able to get the wages they would have demanded in the past.

Wonder if they will give a contract to the Man Utd full back they 'stole' from us and didn't play a game :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Keith » Sun May 17, 2020 7:43 pm

redrobo wrote:Wonder if they will give a contract to the Man Utd full back they 'stole' from us and didn't play a game :?: :?: :?:

Would be rather pleased if he was to return to us!

It is going to be a very weird period for clubs. Do we assume that next season will start on time? It may be that clubs don't sign players as early as they ordinarily would?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 am

The whole Tanner business has been an utter farce. To the best of my knowledge not only has he not made an appearance, but he's also yet to feature in a matchday squad I believe.

Think the Class of 92 bunch definitely had an influence in that one, and the irony is it's actually hampered the progress of a United youngster. He's the real loser in this situation - I do feel for him. Had a great first of the season with us, which saw Championship clubs rumoured to be having an interest in him. Now not even in the squad for Salford. Can't imagine that he had much of a say in this transfer. Probably would have been left out if he'd gone to a Championship club but at least he would have actually been moving up the leagues.

Very encouraging to hear that DA has been in contact with players. I don't think we'll be making any early signings before July 1st. Hopefully the situation will be clearer then looking towards the start of the season. Although hopefully we'll see a few players that Adams wants to keep sign on.
Little Shrimp

Postby redrobo » Mon May 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Of our loanees who should DA look towards making a permanent signing if possible... :?:

For me it would be Toumani (what a difference he made to our midfield) Ryan Cooney (assuming that Burnley release him and that Tanner is unavailable) and possibly Adam Phillips.

Of the remainder neither Slew or goalkeeper Maffoumbi would be in my list of players for signing on a permanent contract.
redrobo

Postby Posh » Mon May 18, 2020 2:07 pm

redrobo wrote:Of our loanees who should DA look towards making a permanent signing if possible... for me it would be Toumani (what a difference he made to our midfield)

He wasn't a loanee, he was a free agent. I think we'll definitely keep him unless he gets a better offer nearer his Leeds home.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Posh » Mon May 18, 2020 2:30 pm

Here's the squad for all of last season and my thoughts.

1Barry Roche (G) - Gone upstairs
21 Mark Halstead (G) - Stays - 2-year deal https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2019/j ... -new-deal/ - May try to sell
28 Andre Filipe Da Silva Mendes (G) - Stays
37 Christoffer Mafoumbi (G) - Goes - Back to Blackpool
2 Adam Buxton (D) - Gone
3 Luke Conlan (D) - Stays - 2-year deal
5 Steven Old (D) - Stays
12 Richard Sutton (D) - Goes
14 Tom Brewitt (D) - Goes - We have a one-year option on him but I understand he may join the Liverpool FC coaching staff full-time https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2019/j ... morecambe/
16 Sam Lavelle (D) - Stays - 2-year deal
25 Ibrahim Bakare (D) - Stays
30 Ryan Cooney (D) - Goes - Would love to keep him but Championship level player
33 Jordan Cranston (D) - Stays - 2 year-deal - but I think hasn't been good or consistent enough
34 Christian Mbulu (D) - Goes
4 Alex Kenyon (M) - Stays - I think he sees enough in Alex
6 Andrew Tutte (M) - Gone
7 John O'Sullivan (M) - Stays - 2-year deal
8 Andy Fleming (M) - Gone
11 Kevin Ellison (M) - Goes (would love to see him working in Academy though)
15 Aaron Wildig (M) - Stays - really improved under DA
20 Lamin Jagne (M) - Goes
22 Joe Lynch (M) - Gone
23 Tyler Brownsword (M) - Gone
29 Amilcar Codjovi (M) - Gone
31 Adam Phillips (M) - Goes - Looked excellent but subbed a lot and dropped off
32 Toumani Diagouraga (M) - Stays
32 Freddie Price (M) - ??? - Didn't know he'd been moved up to 1st team squad
9 Cole Stockton (F) - In the balance - Definitely goes for me, he's been shocking in front of goal for four years, yet may get kept
10 AJ Leitch-Smith (F) - Stays - 2-year deal
17 Michael Howard (F) - Goes - We have an option on him and no idea what DA thinks of him https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2019/m ... d-signing/
18 Rhys Oates (F) - In the balance - No evidence from this season and what DA thinks
19 Carlos Mendes Gomes (F) - Stays (I hope) - Depends on whether he's been scouted
24 Shaun Miller (F) - Gone
26 Kyle Hawley (F) - Goes (?) - Was on loan at FC United and only made 2 starts
27 Harvey Bradbury (F) - Goes back to Millwall
29 Jordan Slew (F) - Goes - I hope - really not good enough

Anyway, just my fourpennuthwuth.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon May 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Posh wrote:
redrobo wrote:Of our loanees who should DA look towards making a permanent signing if possible... for me it would be Toumani (what a difference he made to our midfield)

He wasn't a loanee, he was a free agent. I think we'll definitely keep him unless he gets a better offer nearer his Leeds home.

This is what I gathered from his podcast interview too. Thought maybe Harrogate might pinch him but they've already got a pretty good 'experienced CDM' in Josh Falkingham who I understand has been doing a good job there. They're quite a fast and high intensity team who press a lot too.

My concern would be a Greater Manchester club who would be a bit closer and possibly offer more money, but we'll see.

I think DA sees something in Stockton - his hold up play has been really excellent. Yes, the goal thing is an issue but if he's helping the team play/attack better then there's value in him.
Little Shrimp

Postby ChrisC » Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm

I would think that with a big question hanging over when things will restart many of the smaller clubs will just let everyone out of contract go and bank on there being a big pool of free agents when things restart.

Really makes very little sense for clubs to sign a contract with no prospect of income in the near future.
ChrisC

Postby jbc.shrimp » Wed May 20, 2020 8:16 am

Would like to see Kyle Hawley stay and feature more. Send out to get game time and save a wage. Got stacks of awards with the youth similar to Kev and Mark with first team. And scored a hat full for the reserves.
jbc.shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 pm

Its a waiting game. Can't see many clubs brave enough to offer some sort of season ticket deal when there is not much chance of us watching a live L2 game for some time.
Some might subscribe to an online , behind closed doors stream, but no way near enough when you cant sell them a programme, beer and a pie.
There has to be cash from somewhere - Premier League/EFL cos there's no way there will be much sponsorship, hospitality or income otherwise.

Premier League players and management already testing positive, so that route at our level is a no no.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby jbc.shrimp » Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:The whole Tanner business has been an utter farce. To the best of my knowledge not only has he not made an appearance, but he's also yet to feature in a matchday squad I believe.

Think the Class of 92 bunch definitely had an influence in that one, and the irony is it's actually hampered the progress of a United youngster. He's the real loser in this situation - I do feel for him. Had a great first of the season with us, which saw Championship clubs rumoured to be having an interest in him. Now not even in the squad for Salford. Can't imagine that he had much of a say in this transfer. Probably would have been left out if he'd gone to a Championship club but at least he would have actually been moving up the leagues.

Very encouraging to hear that DA has been in contact with players. I don't think we'll be making any early signings before July 1st. Hopefully the situation will be clearer then looking towards the start of the season. Although hopefully we'll see a few players that Adams wants to keep sign on.

Just watched a video of Tanner interview just after he signed for Salford. Looked totally pissed off and looked like he was reading from a script.
jbc.shrimp

Postby Keith » Sun May 24, 2020 2:19 pm

jbc.shrimp wrote:Just watched a video of Tanner interview just after he signed for Salford. Looked totally pissed off and looked like he was reading from a script.

Have you got a link?

Keith
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion