Leagues One & Two to be abandoned next week

Leagues One & Two to be abandoned next week

Postby tim-sanchez » Fri May 08, 2020 10:50 am

https://theathletic.com/1800891/2020/05 ... -coventry/

Promotion & Relegation still happening with teams to vote on how to decide final places. The most popular system seems to be weighted points, adding up points per game for each home and away match.

I think we're safe from relegation in pretty much every scenario.
tim-sanchez

Re: Leagues One & Two to be abandoned next week

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 08, 2020 10:59 am

tim-sanchez wrote:https://theathletic.com/1800891/2020/05/08/leagueone-league-two-efl-ppg-coventry/

Promotion & Relegation still happening with teams to vote on how to decide final places. The most popular system seems to be weighted points, adding up points per game for each home and away match.

I think we're safe from relegation in pretty much every scenario.

Fill Wallet at Stevenage will be calling his lawyers ASAP :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Alan » Fri May 08, 2020 12:10 pm

With the aid of my trusty calculator I give us a weighted average of 40.07.
Macclesfield 45.18 - minus a 6 point deduction = 39.18
Stevenage 28.33

Would settle for that if we can't finish the season.
Alan

Postby redrobo » Fri May 08, 2020 12:36 pm

I might be alone but this proposal worries me.

Stevenage's Chairman has a lot of clout and will do everything possible to ensure that his club doesn't get relegated.

Worrying times ahead until the EFL Board decide what to do.

Remember Barrow FC thought they were safe all those years ago but were still voted out purely on the grounds of Geography.

I may be worrying needlessly but ........ :shock: :shock: :shock:
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Alan wrote:With the aid of my trusty calculator I give us a weighted average of 40.07.
Macclesfield 45.18 - minus a 6 point deduction = 39.18
Stevenage 28.33

Would settle for that if we can't finish the season.

How do you get Macclesfield to 45.18 and they have had more than 6 points deducted.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby tim-sanchez » Fri May 08, 2020 1:49 pm

redrobo wrote:I might be alone but this proposal worries me.

Stevenage's Chairman has a lot of clout and will do everything possible to ensure that his club doesn't get relegated.

Remember Barrow FC thought they were safe all those years ago but were still voted out purely on the grounds of Geography.

They definitely won't go down without a fight, but I can't see any way that we get relegated. It's not as if they can suddenly decide we get relegated instead, at worst they just decide no teams get relegated.
tim-sanchez

Postby redrobo » Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:
redrobo wrote:I might be alone but this proposal worries me.

They definitely won't go down without a fight, but I can't see any way that we get relegated. It's not as if they can suddenly decide we get relegated instead, at worst they just decide no teams get relegated.

Barrow thought that all those years ago and look what happened to them.

The Stevenage owner will try every trick in the book to avoid his cheats going down.

If I was a Macc fan I'd be even more worried if they still have a further 6 poinnt penalty hanging over their heads.

Worrying time for us all.....but there are more important things than football at the moment...not many but a few.
redrobo

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri May 08, 2020 3:40 pm

Does anybody know what the exact formula would be? (PPG home x 23)+(PPG away x 23)?

I have us on 40.2 and Stevenage on 28.52. Then Macclesfield on 45.08, but they currently have a deduction of -11 so would be 35.08 with that included. Projection sees Macc increase their current gap on Stevenage from 3 points to almost 7.

Stevenage will most likely kick up a big stink if it goes down this way. However, they really only have themselves to blame, they're miles adrift and have 3 wins all season! The relegation of some clubs under PPG will be unfair and unfortunate but their relegation will not be.

They've been a poor side, and have made several bad managerial choices to try and sort it. In comparison to ourselves - when it came to picking a new manager, Rod Taylor made an excellent choice and we have seen the benefit.
Little Shrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:Does anybody know what the exact formula would be? (PPG home x 23)+(PPG away x 23)?

I have us on 40.2 and Stevenage on 28.52. Then Macclesfield on 45.08, but they currently have a deduction of -11 so would be 35.08 with that included. Projection sees Macc increase their current gap on Stevenage from 3 points to almost 7.

Stevenage will most likely kick up a big stink if it goes down this way. However, they really only have themselves to blame, they're miles adrift and have 3 wins all season! The relegation of some clubs under PPG will be unfair and unfortunate but their relegation will not be.

They've been a poor side, and have made several bad managerial choices to try and sort it. In comparison to ourselves - when it came to picking a new manager, Rod Taylor made an excellent choice and we have seen the benefit.

One of Stevenage's 3 wins all season was against us just underlining how bad we were in the early part of the season. Without a change of manager it could have been us in place of Stevenage that was sweating on decisions.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Sat May 09, 2020 10:16 pm

I bet they end up manufacturing a situation where Macc go down instead of Stevenage, which may actually be the right decision because of their precarious financial situation. There are a few clubs in a precarious position right now. :cry: :cry: :cry:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Sun May 10, 2020 1:38 pm

IF the EFL are so stupid to complete this season, then those clubs benefiting from Government funding will I understand loose all entitlement to any more money so in effect will have to become self sufficient once again which with no money coming into the clubs coffers will see a number of clubs possibly go out of business.

The more I read about what the EFL are hoping will happen the more I become convinced that clubs have to vote for the season to be declared null and void.
redrobo

Postby al1 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:58 pm

League 2 clubs have voted to end the season, with promotion and relegation still to be sorted out!
al1

Postby paulshrimp » Fri May 15, 2020 2:32 pm

It looks like the Stevenage chairman has got away with it and they stay in the league
paulshrimp

Postby Keith » Fri May 15, 2020 3:02 pm

“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Fri May 15, 2020 3:11 pm

At long last common sense has prevailed....but what did I suggest earlier about Stevenage :?: Wouldn't be surprised if their Chairman / Owner has used his influence with the EFL and its clubs to escape relegation.

What's the betting had it been us then we could have been facing relegation.... :?: :?: :?:

This sensible decision means I would suggest that DA can now get down to continuing his wheeling and dealing regarding mew contracts and bringing into our club much need quality and players he knows to ensure that we have a better season next time....whenever that may be. :? :? :?
redrobo

Postby Alan » Fri May 15, 2020 3:53 pm

redrobo wrote:
What's the betting had it been us then we could have been facing relegation.... :?: :?: :?:

Probably not Neil, 15 of the 24 League 2 teams have at one time been in the National League and now appreciate the struggle it was to get into (or back into) the EFL.
Looking at the number of formerly 'established' EFL teams now in the National League they realise that one day it could be themselves.

Nothing settled as yet, it's up to the EFL.

One team to come up to the EFL anyway, and hopefully it will be Barrow
Alan

Postby redrobo » Fri May 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Wonder if this is time to investigate a North and South split.....financially it would appear to be sensible with reduced travel and possible increase in away fans at games... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Ego Tripping » Fri May 15, 2020 4:18 pm

redrobo wrote:At long last common sense has prevailed....but what did I suggest earlier about Stevenage :?: Wouldn't be surprised if their Chairman / Owner has used his influence with the EFL and its clubs to escape relegation.

Seriously? Is this a parody account? Conspiracy theory, Is how idiots get to feel like intellectuals.

Try reading the statement. It was a unanimous vote. All 24 clubs voted in favour. If you did read the statement you will also know that the EFL have not yet agreed to the clubs plan to suspend relegation & will consider it at their meeting next week
Ego Tripping

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Alan wrote:
redrobo wrote:

Probably not Neil, 15 of the 24 League 2 teams have at one time been in the National League and now appreciate the struggle it was to get into (or back into) the EFL.
Looking at the number of formerly 'established' EFL teams now in the National League they realise that one day it could be themselves.

Nothing settled as yet, it's up to the EFL.

One team to come up to the EFL anyway, and hopefully it will be Barrow

I would think Harrogate and Notts County would contest Barrow being promoted.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 15, 2020 4:30 pm

redrobo wrote:At long last common sense has prevailed....but what did I suggest earlier about Stevenage :?: Wouldn't be surprised if their Chairman / Owner has used his influence with the EFL and its clubs to escape relegation.

This sensible decision means I would suggest that DA can now get down to continuing his wheeling and dealing regarding mew contracts and bringing into our club much need quality and players he knows to ensure that we have a better season next time....whenever that may be. :? :? :?

I think DA will be busy letting players know that they are either being released or in a few cases being told that a new deal will be offered. He probably has a wish list of signings but until we know when next season starts and also what budget is available then the contracts will have to remain unsigned.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Fri May 15, 2020 4:37 pm

Ego Tripping wrote:

Seriously? Is this a parody account? Conspiracy theory, Is how idiots get to feel like intellectuals.

Try reading the statement. It was a unanimous vote. All 24 clubs voted in favour. If you did read the statement you will also know that the EFL have not yet agreed to the clubs plan to suspend relegation & will consider it at their meeting next week

....and your thoughts about the decision.....if any.... :roll: :roll:
redrobo

Postby Phil Anderer » Fri May 15, 2020 6:02 pm

redrobo wrote:
Ego Tripping wrote:

....and your thoughts about the decision.....if any.... :roll: :roll:

He is right though Neil; you've put 2 and 2 together and got 22. The clubs have said no relegation is their preferred option, and asked the EFL to consider it. In no way whatsoever has it been decided.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby redrobo » Sat May 16, 2020 1:14 pm

redrobo

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun May 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I can definitely see Stevenage's point. If we were in their position I'd be fuming to get relegated. Game in hand and 3 (4 with GD) points from safety, but denied the opportunity to save themselves.

Relegation could be seriously financially damaging, not to mention we all know how hard it is to get out of the National League.

It could be easily have been us in that scenario, I'm no fan of Stevenage but I think it's probably the right thing to have no relegation. With Bury disappearing, there's a spare spot for Barrow to get promoted still as well.
tim-sanchez

Next

Return to General Discussion