How to Resolve This Season?

How to Resolve This Season?

Postby Keith » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:52 pm

Not my idea, but worthy of some thoughts? I asked how they'd split this season's prize money, which they felt would be fairest if split equally, although Premiership & Championship sides would probably not like that due to the huge sums involved.

Any thoughts?

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Given that:
a) Football is not likely to take place any time soon
b) Matches behind closed doors are not a true test as players react to crowds
c) No solution is going to please everybody
d) Any solution involving promotion and relegation with matches not played would be a legal nightmare

A possible way forward would be to have a 92 match two year “double” season with no promotion or relegation until May 2021. In all the leagues (PL, EFL and non-league) next season, whenever it happens, would start with the tables as they are now. All clubs would play each other four times – two at home two away.

The remaining fixtures from this season could be fitted in by only having two cup competitions – the FA Cup and the League Cup. This would also mean that clubs would be able to make up the missing income from the league matches postponed in March and April. The sponsors of the axed cup could have their name attached to these special evening matches. Season ticket holders from 2019/2020 who don’t renew for 2020/2021 would be allowed to use their ticket for these fixtures so no need for clubs to do a mass refund for games not completed before May.

This would also allow for a summer transfer window with contracts terminating in June as usual. The window could be open up to the re-start and a normal pre-season take place. During this pre-season all PL and Championship clubs should be encouraged to play at least five friendly matches against financially struggling lower league clubs. This should be quite feasible as the top clubs are unlikely to be keen on playing overseas matches.

Although unlikely, if this seasons European and Europa Cups do get completed next season could be played using the top leagues current table positions. If not completed then this season’s competition could be wiped and a new draw with the same teams playing again.

I think most supporters and clubs would accept that “it’s the best of a bad job” given the current situation. It’s likely that any team in a safe league position now who ended up getting relegated next May would have been relegated next season anyway. Teams who have performed well would be rewarded by still keeping their points advantage when football re-commences.

Drastic times need drastic solutions!!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: How to Resolve This Season?

Postby Caged Lion » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm

How about stopping this season as is then begin the new season with current status used as a benchmark?

So every team retains all points accumulated to date then resumes the new season in August or whenever and simply plays out the next season?

Yes, some affluent clubs in a relegation slot currently could buy better players. So what? They already do that

However the new season would require Stevenage to win 4 more games than Morecambe to avoid relegation

No?
Caged Lion

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:46 pm

Sergio Aguero: Players 'scared' about Premier League return - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52493894

and the Liverpool thing will end up in farce

Premier League restart: Liverpool mayor fears 'farcical' situation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52484530

Macron basically says f@ck it all off
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby jbc.shrimp » Fri May 01, 2020 8:53 am

Keith wrote:Not my idea, but worthy of some thoughts? I asked how they'd split this season's prize money, which they felt would be fairest if split equally, although Premiership & Championship sides would probably not like that due to the huge sums involved.

Any thoughts?

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Given that:
a) Football is not likely to take place any time soon
b) Matches behind closed doors are not a true test as players react to crowds
c) No solution is going to please everybody
d) Any solution involving promotion and relegation with matches not played would be a legal nightmare

A possible way forward would be to have a 92 match two year “double” season with no promotion or relegation until May 2021. In all the leagues (PL, EFL and non-league) next season, whenever it happens, would start with the tables as they are now. All clubs would play each other four times – two at home two away.

The remaining fixtures from this season could be fitted in by only having two cup competitions – the FA Cup and the League Cup. This would also mean that clubs would be able to make up the missing income from the league matches postponed in March and April. The sponsors of the axed cup could have their name attached to these special evening matches. Season ticket holders from 2019/2020 who don’t renew for 2020/2021 would be allowed to use their ticket for these fixtures so no need for clubs to do a mass refund for games not completed before May.

This would also allow for a summer transfer window with contracts terminating in June as usual. The window could be open up to the re-start and a normal pre-season take place. During this pre-season all PL and Championship clubs should be encouraged to play at least five friendly matches against financially struggling lower league clubs. This should be quite feasible as the top clubs are unlikely to be keen on playing overseas matches.

Although unlikely, if this seasons European and Europa Cups do get completed next season could be played using the top leagues current table positions. If not completed then this season’s competition could be wiped and a new draw with the same teams playing again.

I think most supporters and clubs would accept that “it’s the best of a bad job” given the current situation. It’s likely that any team in a safe league position now who ended up getting relegated next May would have been relegated next season anyway. Teams who have performed well would be rewarded by still keeping their points advantage when football re-commences.

Drastic times need drastic solutions!!

Not meaning to criticise Keith, but firstly, do you decide to re-instate Bury as you say there is no promotion, or relegation, as they have already been voted out ? Just mentioning.
jbc.shrimp

Postby Keith » Fri May 01, 2020 9:58 am

jbc.shrimp wrote:Not meaning to criticise Keith, but firstly, do you decide to re-instate Bury as you say there is no promotion, or relegation, as they have already been voted out ? Just mentioning.

No need to worry about criticising, I'm simply sharing this as a discussion point. Bury would be gone regardless.

I can see some elegance about it. For example, if it was adopted in the Premiership, the likelihood is that Liverpool would win the two-year long competition, given how far ahead they are, but they would do so by concluding the season. Alternatively, they either don't get awarded it, which is hardly fair given how dominant they've been and almost impossible to catch, or they are awarded it without actually winning. In other leagues, promotion & relegation would be genuinely won or lost.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby New_Ground_Watcher » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Personally I think that all football should be finished for this season. Either promote/relegate as it stands or cancel it altogether. Things won't be back to normal for months, thousands of people have died and are still dying, there's more important things than football/money.
New_Ground_Watcher

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Sat May 02, 2020 7:29 am

I think the administrators are in terrible trouble. There will be nothing in the regulations to cover an incident like corona virus and any decision is going to be really unfair on some clubs. If you say teams in the relegation places now should be relegated some will argue they would have hit a bit of form and reached safety before the season ended. If you say clubs in the promotion places should be promoted other clubs will argue they were coming up on the ropes and would have sneaked into a promotion place or a play off place. I guess if the league said a particular club are among the teams relegated they would consider legal action against the league and equally are Barrow going to sit back and be told they are in the National League again next year. The argument that Barrow could take Bury's place in the Football League would be contested by other clubs if you say there is no promotion or relegation except for Barrow- some clubs would argue that is not fair. I understand the logic of making the leagues a two season thing so this season's points are added to next season's but that is not how leagues have worked since the inception of the beautiful game and I am not sure it's in the spirit of the game. It's a difficult decision for the authorities and I confess I don't know what they should do to be fair to all clubs.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby Brian S » Sat May 02, 2020 8:49 am

fulwoodshrimp wrote:I think the administrators are in terrible trouble. There will be nothing in the regulations to cover an incident like corona virus and any decision is going to be really unfair on some clubs. If you say teams in the relegation places now should be relegated some will argue they would have hit a bit of form and reached safety before the season ended. If you say clubs in the promotion places should be promoted other clubs will argue they were coming up on the ropes and would have sneaked into a promotion place or a play off place. I guess if the league said a particular club are among the teams relegated they would consider legal action against the league and equally are Barrow going to sit back and be told they are in the National League again next year. The argument that Barrow could take Bury's place in the Football League would be contested by other clubs if you say there is no promotion or relegation except for Barrow- some clubs would argue that is not fair. I understand the logic of making the leagues a two season thing so this season's points are added to next season's but that is not how leagues have worked since the inception of the beautiful game and I am not sure it's in the spirit of the game. It's a difficult decision for the authorities and I confess I don't know what they should do to be fair to all clubs.

There are no rules for this situation and any negative decision on a club will be met by lawyers. The only clean way out would for all clubs to work on and agree rule changes with the league but it'll be the same as no rules, why would a club agree to rule changes that would relegate them?

It must be null & void, start again when they're allowed to.
Brian S

Postby marky No.1 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:30 am

Aye, then Sky would claim the £762M refund from the Premier League , just think of the advertising revenue lost. No wonder they are dragging their heels

Lives are more important
marky No.1

Postby redrobo » Sat May 02, 2020 12:31 pm

A number of Championship clubs want to play on whilst a growing number of clubs in EFL 1 and 2 want to call a halt and declare the season finished.

Whatever happens I can see there being some might disagreement amongst some clubs and maybe threats of court action and if that happens the only winners will be lawyers.

I can't see how players can be kept apart during match time after all football is a partial contact sport. And how do players travel to away games ( in our case the South ) ? Do they travel on private cars with no overnight stays?

For me it has to be that this season is declared null and void but will the EFL have to abide by what the Championship want....and sod the financial consequencies that could see a number of clubs go to the wall:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Brian S » Sat May 02, 2020 12:35 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Aye, then Sky would claim the £762M refund from the Premier League , just think of the advertising revenue lost. No wonder they are dragging their heels

Lives are more important

They certainly are and lockdown is working. Anyway, a 20% wage cut for Prima Donnas would more than pay Sky off.
Brian S

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat May 02, 2020 1:40 pm

At this point I think there's still a pretty decent chance of the Premier League going ahead behind closed doors. It's rumoured to have government backing (morale boost etc), pressure from TV companies (some clubs will probably have blown most of the cash already) and the fact that it probably does have the financial clout to pull off behind closed doors with the necessary safety precautions.

I think Leagues 1 and 2 will probably be cancelled soon. Clubs at our level are for more reliant on matchday income, and uncertainty around contracts going past June will cause so much chaos. Doesn't mean to season has to be void, which I think is an utterly terrible idea. They've played most of the season so we can't just pretend it never existed. Ligue 1 has now set a precedent to finish on PPG/prediction models etc. Scotland have also finished on current standings (barring the Scottish Premiership).

Think the Championship will probably follow L1&L2 in cancelling remaining fixtures. Yes, it's a more 'affluent' division but it's financially probably the messiest league in the country.

If the Premier League plays out, it will almost certainly mean Leeds and West Brom will be promoted, as the bottom sides in the PL can't argue about being relegated after playing a full season. Maybe two up and two down, then sack off the playoffs? So many teams competing in the Championship for them it'd be very hard to find a decent solution.

I think relegating teams without playing a full season would cause way more controversy than promoting them. Especially out of L2. As much as Stevenage really do deserve to go down, the simplest way to resolve things would just be to promote Barrow, therefore 'refilling' after Bury. You could then have one up from L2 to L1 and none down. Although personally I think it would be completely fair enough to relegate Bolton and Southend (about 20 points adrift), and promote Crewe, Swindon and Plymouth as while there's not much in it points wise, not many people could argue they're the three best sides this season.

Not sure how to solve movement between L1 and Championship - maybe just have none? Would probably cause a fuss in Sunderland, although it would make for an excellent series 3 of the Netflix documentary!

It's an interesting idea Keith put forward about carrying on the season, although no other country seems to be doing it and you could argue it throws things off as you could have two completely different sides (eg, team pillaged of their best players over summer).
Little Shrimp

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Please, please, please, promote Barrow FC who are our true derby rivals more than anyone else. They are top of the National League on merit and deserve it. Going back over 50 years or so we have had many battles with them and it truly adds spice to a season to have them in the mix. A former league club who were hard done by with their demotion out of the league, they deserve to be back. Please, please, please demote BWFC. Basket cases who deserve it. OK we have never been at the same level as a massive club like them but once again it would add so much to the anticipation for the new season as and when it takes place, if indeed it ever takes place?
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby jbc.shrimp » Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:Please, please, please, promote Barrow FC who are our true derby rivals more than anyone else. They are top of the National League on merit and deserve it. Going back over 50 years or so we have had many battles with them and it truly adds spice to a season to have them in the mix. A former league club who were hard done by with their demotion out of the league, they deserve to be back. Please, please, please demote BWFC. Basket cases who deserve it. OK we have never been at the same level as a massive club like them but once again it would add so much to the anticipation for the new season as and when it takes place, if indeed it ever takes place?

There has to be promotions of at least 1 team starting at our level then down the pyramid. So, Crewe, Barrow, and so on will be promoted. Otherwise L1 starts with 23 teams.
jbc.shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Ideal solution , let 2 teams go up to prem, but no relegation, so then 2 teams go up from all leagues below, prem has 22 teams for 1 season, then relegate 5 from prem the following season with all other divisions back to normal , problem solved.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby thedoc » Mon May 04, 2020 8:57 am

Now then – here’s a thought. According to my maths (which admittedly isn’t brilliant), there are nine games left for most teams in League Two still to play; 10 for the likes of Stevenage. There are 24 teams in League Two. So – send a goalkeeper; a striker and the Manager from each club to a large ground like Anfield. The ground is big enough to allow Safe Distancing between the 72 (3x24) representatives of each club. Add as many as 30-50 other people: LFC club officials; camera crews and Referees. Then – using the goals at both ends of the pitch at the same time – have a penalty shoot-out for each game still to play behind closed doors. That’s five shots each c.130 times to clear the backlog (I think...). 10 minutes allocated for each shoot-out: one at each end of the ground means c.650 minutes required; say 11 hours. Three points to the winner of each shoot-out; one point if it’s a draw after five shots each. Tot-up the points and add them to the running total. Not perfect but probably fairer than most other ways of ending the season; everybody has an equal chance. Broadcast the entire contest live and divide the spoils equally between all teams. As I say: just a thought...
thedoc

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 am

thedoc wrote:Now then – here’s a thought. According to my maths (which admittedly isn’t brilliant), there are nine games left for most teams in League Two still to play; 10 for the likes of Stevenage. There are 24 teams in League Two. So – send a goalkeeper; a striker and the Manager from each club to a large ground like Anfield. The ground is big enough to allow Safe Distancing between the 72 (3x24) representatives of each club. Add as many as 30-50 other people: LFC club officials; camera crews and Referees. Then – using the goals at both ends of the pitch at the same time – have a penalty shoot-out for each game still to play behind closed doors. That’s five shots each c.130 times to clear the backlog (I think...). 10 minutes allocated for each shoot-out: one at each end of the ground means c.650 minutes required; say 11 hours. Three points to the winner of each shoot-out; one point if it’s a draw after five shots each. Tot-up the points and add them to the running total. Not perfect but probably fairer than most other ways of ending the season; everybody has an equal chance. Broadcast the entire contest live and divide the spoils equally between all teams. As I say: just a thought...

What’s our penalty taking record like?
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:33 pm

This season as already finished... Just waiting for the confirmation

Probably next week or so efl will null and void all leagues
Redalert1970

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue May 05, 2020 3:33 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:This season as already finished... Just waiting for the confirmation

Probably next week or so efl will null and void all leagues

Where's that come from ?

Rick Parry seems keen to get the season completed.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby marky No.1 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:37 pm

The Bundesliga has been given clearance to restart in the next couple of weeks, but then the Germans are always ahead of us, particularly with testing
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion