Carlos Mendes-Gomes

Carlos Mendes-Gomes

Postby redrobo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:50 am

A number of weeks before the virus halted all football, Derek said that he hoped to be able to provide Carlos will a new contract on much improved terms. To date nothing has been heard of whether such a contract was agreed.

I hope that the club can do what it can to provide Carlos with a new contract and I'd also be delighted if a new contract was also awarded to Lamine Jagne who I feel could be another excellent youngster and could more than hold his own in the first team on match days..as and when football is resumed.

I read that there are 18 players out of contract which means that Derek has one hell of a job on his hands to put together a squad more than capable looking towards at the very least a top 10 position if not higher.

Of course it all depends on when football is resumed which can't come sooner enough for me.... :) :) :)
redrobo

Re: Carlos Mendes-Gomes

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 pm

I may be mistaken but I think I heard DA in an interview mention that CMG has a year extension option. Any club offering largely improved terms may be a little hopeful at the moment, although I hope it's something we can manage when things start to get back to normal as he deserves it!
Little Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:14 pm

redrobo wrote:
Of course it all depends on when football is resumed which can't come sooner enough for me.... :) :) :)

Don't hold ya breath on that one!!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Fri May 01, 2020 7:14 am

Carlos is a quality player, in my opinion capable of playing at championship level. He has pace, trickery and unpredictability. I keep telling my Preston friends he has more potential then Tom Barkhuizen. I am confident when the time comes we will get big money for him. We need him to sign a new contract to continue his development with us.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Sat May 02, 2020 8:43 am

Wasn’t Jagne one of the members of the bomb squad when derek took over?
SupermarketShrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:34 pm

There's a good article and interview with Carlos in yesterdays Football League Paper.

Maybe an anorak could put a link on here to it.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:46 pm

BORN in the Sene­galese cap­i­tal and raised in Lan­zarote, there were prob­a­bly more ob­vi­ous routes into pro­fes­sional foot­ball for Carlos Men­des Gomes than the English fourth tier with More­cambe.

The ex­cit­ing at­tacker was only 19 when he signed his first Shrimps deal in 2018, but ar­rived with an in­trigu­ing track record and an in­cred­i­ble va­ri­ety of foot­ball ex­pe­ri­ences.

From lin­ing up op­po­site cur­rent In­ter Mi­lan star Achraf Hakimi while at the Atletico Madrid academy, to be­ing granted an eye-open­ing in­tro­duc­tion to the English men’s game with Non-League West Dids­bury & Chorl­ton, Men­des Gomes be­lieves each ex­pe­ri­ence shaped him.

Now an es­tab­lished mem­ber of Derek Adams’ squad, the 21-year-old still re­mem­bers his hum­ble be­gin­nings and has al­ways lived in the be­lief that hard work would even­tu­ally bear fruit.

Op­por­tu­ni­ties

“I moved to Spain from Sene­gal with my par­ents when I was two years old,” he ex­plained. “My dad got a job over there and they de­cided there would be bet­ter op­por­tu­ni­ties in life. “My fam­ily had al­ways loved foot­ball and I was the same. I sup­ported Real Madrid and would spend all my time watch­ing Cris­tiano Ron­aldo and dream­ing one day of be­ing like him.

“I played for Getafe for one sea­son and then got given the chance to join Atletico when I was 15. The stan­dard was in­cred­i­ble and I think one year there re­ally shaped me as a player, phys­i­cally and men­tally.

“Then, my dad got of­fered a job in Manch­ester. I didn’t want to go but I was too young to stay on my own. He told me I could be­come a foot­baller any­where in the world as long as I put in the work, so I trusted him and gave it my best.”

Men­des Gomes ini­tially strug­gled to adapt on and off the field in the UK and ad­mits a ca­reer in foot­ball looked un­likely.

But hav­ing per­se­vered in the North West Coun­ties League with West Dids­bury & Chorl­ton and im­pressed at the Ni­cholls Com­mu­nity Foot­ball Cen­tre of Ex­cel­lence – part of The Manch­ester Col­lege, where he was study­ing – it wasn’t long be­fore More­cambe came knock­ing.

He said: “I didn’t play foot­ball at all dur­ing my first year in Eng­land – I couldn’t find a club. I rang around but I’d ar­rived at the wrong time of year when all the schol­ar­ships were full.

“It was never my plan to get into pro­fes­sional foot­ball through col­lege, but one of the coaches – Bill Pren­der­gast – be­lieved in me and had a link with More­cambe.

“Part of the de­ci­sion to sign me de­pended on whether they got rel­e­gated on the last day of the (2017-18) sea­son. Thank­fully, they stayed up and of­fered me a deal – it was such a spe­cial day.”

Spe­cial

Af­ter spend­ing most of the last decade in the lower ech­e­lons of League Two, More­cambe have started the new cam­paign brightly – win­ning two of their open­ing three league games in Adams’ first full sea­son in charge.

And while he hadn’t heard of the Lan­cashire coastal town when he first moved to the UK five years ago, Men­des Gomes is aim­ing high in the place he now con­sid­ers home.

“We haven’t had too much luck re­cently, but I be­lieve with this group of play­ers we’re ca­pa­ble of push­ing for the play­offs,” added Men­des Gomes, who net­ted a stop­page-time win­ner against Chel­tenham on the open­ing day. “Per­son­ally, I just want to keep im­prov­ing, nail down a start­ing spot and start scor­ing more goals.

“I hadn’t heard of More­cambe be­fore I came to Eng­land but now it’ll al­ways have a place in my heart. The fans have al­ways been very sup­port­ive and they are my fam­ily too now.”
tim-sanchez

Postby vanillaturtle » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:31 pm

We should definitely sell him in winter transfer market because its looking like he's gonna ride out his contract and go to a bigger club on a free for more wages.
vanillaturtle

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:29 am

vanillaturtle wrote:We should definitely sell him in winter transfer market because its looking like he's gonna ride out his contract and go to a bigger club on a free for more wages.

He can't go for free as he's under 24 years old.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:57 am

All we have to do is offer him improved terms when his contract is up, then we either get compensated or it goes to a tribunal, so no point chucking money at him we cannot afford at the moment.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Return to General Discussion