Regionalized football?

Regionalized football?

Postby redrobo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:50 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... virus.html

I'm all in favour of this solution to reduce the financial burden some clubs experience due to the distances travelled to games in the current structure.

1958 saw the game nationalized so maybe the time and circumstances are right to consider reverting back to regionalized games.

Discuss.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: Regionalized football?

Postby KenH » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:14 pm

I think this is probably essential to help smaller clubs survive Covid. In "normal" times, it would never have got support, but given lots of clubs in leagues 3 and 4 will be on their knees, it's probably an ideal time to regionalise it so as to reduce travelling costs for clubs and to increase attendances. Also helps avoid the arguments about who'll be promoted/relegated between leagues 3 and 4. Like lots of other parts of normal life, drastic measures needed for drastic times.
KenH

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Given the present pandemic, and the uncertainty going forward , a pair of leagues with equal standing makes much more financial sense, as long as it doesn't become regarded as too "Amateur", the obvious major issue would be promotion and relegation , as unless more teams go up and down it would be a lot harder to get promoted.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:48 pm

KenH wrote:Also helps avoid the arguments about who'll be promoted/relegated between leagues 3 and 4.

I think regionalisation is a really sensible thing to do, and have done for a while, but this is by far the best reason for doing it now.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion