EFL radical plans to finish season 2019/20 in just 56 days

EFL radical plans to finish season 2019/20 in just 56 days

Postby redrobo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:24 pm

According to FLW and The Telegraph EFL Chairman has revealed his plan to finish the season in just 56 days with fixtures set to be played behind closed doors.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... d-56-days/

The EFL have told all clubs NOT to return to training until May 16 at the earliest but have pledged to gives sides adequate time to prepare for a resumption of the current campaign.

No further break is envisaged at the end of the current season so its presumed that season 2020/21 will commence at the end of the current season.

For me this puts into question as to whether those grounds that undertake an annual reseeding will have time for the new grass to grow.... :?: :?:

Also what happens about the annual team reconstruction that a lot of clubs go through during as normal close season period.... :?: :?:

I still prefer that the current season is declared null and void with promotion from the National League only going ahead to make up the shortfall in numbers in the EFL.
redrobo

Re: EFL radical plans to finish season 2019/20 in just 56 da

Postby Andy D » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:13 pm

If we all played 2 games a week, the season could be done and dusted in 6 weeks.

however many are predicting distancing will still going on into Autumn with Stadium numbers restricted, effecting revenue too.
Andy D

Postby redrobo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:16 am

A further issue concerning a resumption of this season is that if games are not completed by June 30 those players whose contract ends on that day can walk away. Nobody can legally force a player to extend his contract even for a short period of time if the player doesn't want to.

This has been reported on Sky Sports by Sports Lawyer Nick De Marco QC who says that FIFA's recommendations cannot be enforced under English employment law. He also says that if you're a lower league club financially stressed you won't be wanting to pay players beyond 30 June. So a one size fits all solution isn't going to work.

For me, the more one delves into the proposal to extend the season the more problems are unearthed.
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm

The Conference (Now The National Leagues) are voting on a motion to abandon the 2019/2020 season.

Depending on how this is done it could mean just 1 team (Barrow) may be promoted to take Bury's place and no teams relegated from League 2 this season whether it is taken to a 46 game conclusion or not.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:30 pm

I personally feel that this season should be completed, and that this should be a priority. The next season hasn't started yet so it shouldn't take precedent over the current one.

But the logistics of it are a minefield. Should things develop in such a way that means it will take longer than June 30th for the season to be completed, then I don't think the EFL will be able to finish this season without significant financial support. Rolling contracts may be possible but is this fair on players, and can clubs fund it? It surely wouldn't be feasible for more than a couple of weeks, and even then the financial support from governing bodies would be needed.

If it's possible to blast through the end of the season behind closed doors before 30th June then that, for me, would be ideal. Again though, I'm not sure how feasible that would be for the EFL.

The Premier League's apparent plans that have gone round feature clubs going to World Cup style training camps, isolating in hotels and presumably having access to adequate testing/healthcare facilities. They're also under pressure from TV companies to fulfil a full season of matches.

Such an operation could well be possible for the Premier League but there'll be no way it could be repeated by the EFL. It would take a relaxing of lockdown measures to be possible, to a point where players would be able to go to 'work'. But with this there's no way for us to know at present when the government would be happy to relax the measures to this point.

If it were to happen, large gatherings would presumably still be banned. The club could probably still make some revenue selling iFollow match passes, although this wouldn't subsidise lost match-day/commercial income. And the streaming capabilities of iFollow would probably need to be upgraded!

I hope it's possible to finish the season but I think it will be a big struggle for the EFL to do so should things go on past 30th June just due to the finances/contract situation.
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Rangers have asked for all prize money to be handed out early despite the season not being completed.
BerlinWaller

Return to General Discussion