O/T Virus protection

O/T Virus protection

Postby redrobo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Why has it not been recommended by Supermarkets and other food outlets that when using in store trolleys to wear some disposal medical type gloves so that the risk of the virus being spread throughout the community due to it being spread by 'touch' can be negated to some extent so that trolley handles are not the cause of the virus being spread.

Last Saturday we went to Sainsbury's and Aldi's in Carnforth and wore medical type protective gloves and it was noticeable the lack of store employees taking steps to keep the trolley handles clean which is surely a considered measure to negate the spreading of the virus.

The gloves would of course only be used in shopping and would be disposed of after a shopping trip.

There is an opposite argument that states that gloves as well as face masks serve no valid purpose.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: O/T Virus protection

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Alternatively...

WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

Wash your hands when you come in the house.
Wash your hands before preparing food.
Wash your hands before eating.
Try not to use your hands to eat (eg use knife & fork to eat a burger).

DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!

The virus can enter easily through eyes, so don't rub them (unless you wash your hands first!)

I wash my hands after touching shopping trollies anyway!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:59 pm

Shop online ,simple.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby redrobo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:26 pm

What really annoys me is the number of 'gentlemen' who don't bother washing their hands after a visit to the loo.

'er indoors says that women are just as bad.... :!: :!: :!:

:o :evil: :roll:

As for shopping online....I suspect that it will become very popular over the coming weeks / months especially amongst us older folk Lee... ;)
redrobo

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Even by Friday some supermarkets had a10 day wait for delivery slots, and that's only going to get worse. It really doesn't help that people are panic buying. As for the trolley handles, sanitizer gel in your pocket, use it immediately after returning the trolley. If you can't get the gel, wet, soapy flannel in a plastic bag in your pocket, same outcome.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Brian S » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Now's the time to support your local shops. Our local Londis are very active on Facebook offering to take orders over the phone and deliver locally and lots of others will be. When the virus has gone, these shops need to be there to carry on supporting the community, especially the elderly for some of whom a stroll to the shop and a chat is a big event for them.

The supermarkets are asking people not to panic buy but they were more than happy to take the money when people were going through checkouts with trolley loads of loo rolls. They had every opportunity to stop it but didn't, then they have the nerve to send out that joint message.
Brian S

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:22 pm

The small supermarkets on Westgate and in Torrisholme are well stocked and reasonably priced , as is the shop on the Branksome estate , in defence of hoarders, it could be argued that stocking up is necessary if we are all likely to be asked to quarantine ourselves at some point.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Brian S » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Seaborn Stores, Londis, are offering deliveries "If you know of anyone in our community that could be struggling to get out or self isolating please let them know we can deliver any shopping to them if they phone up with an order on 01524 424411"

Makes a change for RR to be posting about a real virus :o
Brian S

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Brian S wrote:Seaborn Stores, Londis, are offering deliveries "If you know of anyone in our community that could be struggling to get out or self isolating please let them know we can deliver any shopping to them if they phone up with an order on 01524 424411"

Makes a change for RR to be posting about a real virus :o

Better to shop at the smaller places now, Morrison's is crazy from the moment they open, especially if you shop like we do, a few items per day.
Offered to get some toilet roll for one of the wife's work colleagues, as it's all gone before she finishes work, got the very last one and had to queue for over 20 minutes, had a chat with one of the staff in passing and he said, they're even stealing them from our public toilets now :shock:

What a world we live in :? 'Come Armageddon come'!!! :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby Phil Anderer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:38 pm

Whilst I do to an extent understand the panic buying, it is ultimately selfish and disadvantages the most vulnerable disproportionately, as the poor and elderly generally either can't afford to bulk-buy and/or are on foot/public transport so can only carry a limited amount. I would therefore urge anyone thinking of bulk-buying to pause and think of others before they do.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:26 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:Whilst I do to an extent understand the panic buying, it is ultimately selfish and disadvantages the most vulnerable disproportionately, as the poor and elderly generally either can't afford to bulk-buy and/or are on foot/public transport so can only carry a limited amount. I would therefore urge anyone thinking of bulk-buying to pause and think of others before they do.

Here lies the problem, most only ever care about their own needs and sod the rest :evil:
Helping others would be way down on their list, let's hope Karma really exists and they get theirs
HALMA 1983

Postby redrobo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:33 pm

Every week we shop in Morecambe Sainsbury's for my house bound mother in law.

Today was no exception other than the shelves were empty of her usual requirements.

On the way home we called in at Aldi in Carnforth where the shelves were far better stocked although some usual items had gone.

Not sure if the Morecambe shopping was a case of panic buying.

Interestingly I had to go for an examination of my Radial Head replacement and the surgeon I spoke to said that to the best of his knowledge there had been no reported cases of the virus requiring hospitalization within the Lancaster / Morecambe area.
redrobo

Postby Bare bum » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Interestingly I had to go for an examination of my Radial Head replacement

I didn,t notice you'd had a head replacement Neil, certainly not a radial one!

Couldn't you have got an upgrade?
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby redrobo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:54 am

Bare bum wrote:
Interestingly I had to go for an examination of my Radial Head replacement

I didn,t notice you'd had a head replacement Neil, certainly not a radial one!

Couldn't you have got an upgrade?

:lol:
redrobo

Postby black morse » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:31 am

Any goods shopped for, or even delivered to your door, can carry the virus as several people will probably have touched them before you get them. Plastic gloves are the answer. As soon as you get out of the car put them on. Do your shopping and carefully take them off just before you enter the car. Put them on again to move the shopping to your garage and take them off before entering your house. Leave shopping in your garage for 3 days. Have several pairs of gloves so you can leave them in garage (in order) for 3 days then reuse 3 day old gloves again. Very fiddly but it should keep your house free of virus.
black morse

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:04 pm

Found this very interesting but you'll need to get the popcorn out :lol:

https://conspiracydailyupdate.com/2020/ ... y-going-on

DAVID WILCOCK LIVE BROADCAST 3-19-20… “A FEW KP NOTES FROM THE SHOW” “THE GREAT PANDEMIC: WHAT’S REALLY GOING ON?”

[Kp update: here is a direct link to the show:https://youtu.be/om0afwpTwjA (note: it may kick in at the end of the video, but just click along the left part of the red timeline bar, and you can go back to the beginning…
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:48 pm

black morse wrote:Any goods shopped for, or even delivered to your door, can carry the virus as several people will probably have touched them before you get them. Plastic gloves are the answer. As soon as you get out of the car put them on. Do your shopping and carefully take them off just before you enter the car. Put them on again to move the shopping to your garage and take them off before entering your house. Leave shopping in your garage for 3 days. Have several pairs of gloves so you can leave them in garage (in order) for 3 days then reuse 3 day old gloves again. Very fiddly but it should keep your house free of virus.

Or... wash your hands as soon as you enter your house. Don't rub your eyes while out and about. If you are only going out in your car for shopping, once a week or so, your car will be virus free next time you use it regardless.

Wash your hands.
Wash your hands.
Wash your hands.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby BoroRedShrimp » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:11 pm

I use alcohol wipes which are good enough to wipe the screen keys on cashpoints or handles on trolleys to avoid cross contamination. It's a shame the supermarkets don't get the trolley staff to clean them as each one is brought back with sanatizer. Asda have the sanatizer in Oldham but many people are touching it to cross contaminate again.
Profile picture; James Stannage.
BoroRedShrimp

Postby asda shrimp » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 am

As i am a trolley man i can tell you it's not that easy to do if your on your own for half a day,And with the number of people taking trolleys it is not practical or possible.
asda shrimp

Postby redrobo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 am

looks like I'm going to have a few transport problems very soon.

My wife is staying with our daughter who has just given birth for a few days in Preston and I was planning on going down to bring her home on Saturday.

On top of that my mother in law is house bound in Morecambe and relies on us getting her weekly shopping.

:? :? :?
redrobo

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 am

redrobo wrote:looks like I'm going to have a few transport problems very soon.

My wife is staying with our daughter who has just given birth for a few days in Preston and I was planning on going down to bring her home on Saturday.

On top of that my mother in law is house bound in Morecambe and relies on us getting her weekly shopping.

:? :? :?

Are there any volunteer groups in Morecambe who will do shopping for older people?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:26 pm

there’s a Volunteer group starting up in Morecambe, what's ust recruiting at the moment but one in Lancaster who set up last week, if this helps #staysafe
Attachments
5C5778CB-0954-4A7B-92CD-8033A8EF98A5.jpeg
5C5778CB-0954-4A7B-92CD-8033A8EF98A5.jpeg (84.81 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
Andy D

Postby Brian S » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:02 pm

Londis on Seaborn Road are offering deliveries for anyone isolated. We'll be using their service :(

01524 424411
31 Seaborn Road
Morecambe
Lancashire
LA4 6BA
Brian S

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 pm

asda shrimp wrote:As i am a trolley man i can tell you it's not that easy to do if your on your own for half a day,And with the number of people taking trolleys it is not practical or possible.

As a customer I can totally see this point. There's enough for them to do already, and if they had to clean down every trolley you'd effectively have to employ someone specifically for that job, so time-consuming would it be. Can I also say what a debt we owe all supermarket (and small food store) workers at this time, whatever their jobs. Like the NHS, we are all relying on them, and they are coming into contact with potentially infected people every day, many of whom ignore the 2m rule, and especially where staff are trying to stack shelves to keep stock levels up, people are barging past within inches in their impatience. I saw this yesterday more than once in Carnforth Aldi. Asda shrimp and his like are handling innumerable trolleys that unsanitised hands have been on, while it's near impossible for the till operators to maintain 2m.

Please, everyone, be as considerate as possible for these people putting their lives at risk for you. And minimise your own risks, to try to keep an already overstressed NHS operating as well as it possibly can under the circumstances.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby captain sparkle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:07 pm

I second that, without people like this our country would grind to a halt.
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.6 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Next

Return to General Discussion