Coronavirus and football

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:57 pm

black morse wrote:The only small plus side for the club is that with us having the smallest gate average we will not be losing as much as the 'bigger' clubs. However, as stated above, our sponsors will be taking a hit and whilst the sponsorship deal will probably cover until the end of the season they may not be renewed next season.


Chester's co-manager tweeted that some players contracts finish after the last game of the season and the end of June thing isn't always the case.
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby al1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Rod Taylor will be on radio accy soon
al1
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:51 pm
Location: morecambe

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Shrimp Girl » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:46 pm



That's not a website I ever thought I'd see linked on SV :D
"..if you’re constantly being harassed, even in a small way, that builds up and that wears you down.." JB
User avatar
Shrimp Girl
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Skerton

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:22 pm

Notice in the crowded areas to avoid there's no mention of the giant axe! ;)
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer
 
Posts: 2629
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:51 pm
Location: Westgate

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Andy D » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:57 pm

it’s been said after different meetings with PL clubs and FL clubs that 75% are more in favour or writing the season off and just starting again, with many saying it would be unfair on Liverpool but not as unfair for every other club’s finishing where they stand now.


But to be honest Football is starting to feel irrelevant with the NHS now confirming 35 have now sadly died, almost doubling in 24hrs and rising!!
Andy D
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Brian S » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:58 pm

Personal opinion, I think the leagues have already been written off. The only reason they've postponed for a few weeks is to let their legal experts come up with the answers the club's will be looking for and to prepare for the legal cases such a decision will bring, dependent on how they deal with the current league positions.
Brian S
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:01 am

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby glagys » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:52 pm

Carry on with the season till all fixtures are complete,then miss next season and invent another competition for the clubs
glagys
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:10 pm
Location: morecambe

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:05 pm

glagys wrote:Carry on with the season till all fixtures are complete,then miss next season and invent another competition for the clubs


Closet Liverpool fan eh?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
User avatar
Keith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16080
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Isle of Man

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby glagys » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:57 am

Closet Liverpool fan eh?

Nope

Just seems the best thing,
If you end the season now as null & void, how would that impact? would Bury be re-instated as this season didn't exsist ??, Macc get there points back ???
glagys
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:10 pm
Location: morecambe

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:30 am

If the season is ended prematurely then all situations involving promotion and relegation would have to be null and void.

I would suggest an indefinite suspension of all football down to the 8th tier, and then, when the whole Virus thing has run its course a return to training and fortnight's pre season, followed by a resumption of the unfinished season.

This thing isnt going to go away in the next 3 or 4 months , so if the season restarts at the end of the year and then continues into March then so be it.

As for contracts , the FA would have to suspend all transfer activity until the incomplete season is finished, if any players have a problem with that, then they can "take gardening leave" until the new window opens.

Normal service then resumes in August 2021.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
User avatar
mrpotatohead
 
Posts: 7923
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: circus

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:04 am

mrpotatohead wrote:If the season is ended prematurely then all situations involving promotion and relegation would have to be null and void.

I would suggest an indefinite suspension of all football down to the 8th tier, and then, when the whole Virus thing has run its course a return to training and fortnight's pre season, followed by a resumption of the unfinished season.

This thing isnt going to go away in the next 3 or 4 months , so if the season restarts at the end of the year and then continues into March then so be it.

As for contracts , the FA would have to suspend all transfer activity until the incomplete season is finished, if any players have a problem with that, then they can "take gardening leave" until the new window opens.

Normal service then resumes in August 2021.


That's how it should be but how many club's can cover this period without any income of any sort?
Like all businesses, how can they survive if they stop everyone leaving their homes for that length of time, in some cases, a week would be too long.
HALMA 1983
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:16 am
Location: Heysham

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby redrobo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:42 am

Whatever the outcome of the current situation the one thing we can all agree on is that it will cost clubs like ours a considerable amount of money in players wages especially to those who each club identifies as being surplus to requirements had the normal situation prevailed.

My solution although there would be winners and losers (and will not be acceptable to many) would be for the current season to be declared null and void. Those currently in a relegation battle would survive but those in a promotion race would suffer. But drastic times demand drastic measures. Whatever is decided will not universally accepted.

However for me the most important thing to be resolved is the financial implications and my previous post about a rescue fund funded by Premier League clubs is in my opinion worth considering.

The advantage (if there is one) in declaring this season null and void is that players contracts will come to their normal end in May / June meaning that clubs only have to fund the period from now until the end of contracts. Those players on extended contracts will as before continue to receive their salary during the summer and resume playing come August or when ever it is regarded as safe to do so.

Funding for the remainder of the normal season is not as bad as having to fund an entire squad until a resumption of the league football which I would expect to be circa August.

On a more personal note as one of those 70 year olds who the Government are expected to go into 'hibernation' for up to 4 months any food parcels that come our way will be gladly received.... :lol:
redrobo
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Neil, it's fine suggesting that Premier league clubs should fund a survival package for the EFL, but they stand to lose I read £750 million in TV money, and not all Premier league clubs are moneybags clubs like the usual suspects. For example how much could Bournemouth contribute? I totally understand where you're coming from, just saying it's not that simple.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
User avatar
Phil Anderer
 
Posts: 2900
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Wherever the music takes me

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Pretty clear from the PM's new conference just now that football is not going to be able to resume for at least 3 months. The 2019/20 season will surely be now at its end and whether it is null and void or positions at present are the final positions is a decision for the Premier League and EFL to make this week.
Gone_Shrimping
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 am

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:Neil, it's fine suggesting that Premier league clubs should fund a survival package for the EFL, but they stand to lose I read £750 million in TV money, and not all Premier league clubs are moneybags clubs like the usual suspects. For example how much could Bournemouth contribute? I totally understand where you're coming from, just saying it's not that simple.


I wonder if many Sky Sports subscribers like myself will now be cancelling or suspending their subscriptions to Sky which will have a knock on effect to the Premier League. I don't see the point in paying £80 odd per month to see Sky showing progs like "How the 1995 Premier League was won" !
Gone_Shrimping
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 am

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:29 pm

It's a shame they can't play behind closed doors and charge the i-follow fee, so we can still watch from afar and the season would be finalised but I do worry for business now and it's only the beginning of what's coming.
Bought a coffee, the place was dead at 10.30am and I was one of only a handful of customer's that morning, tonight I took the wife to the Royal for her tea, 5 people in and aload of empty tables, same last Thursday night, not good :(

If they stop everyone from going out, we will have a situation where even the most basic infrastructure will start to fail and then if it goes to full lock down, the army will be called in and it's marshall law, curfews and protection from looters, food stores will be locked down and rationing put inplace.

What started off as flu or a released chemical weapon? we haven't got a clue, now has the world on a war time footing................weird times for sure! :?
HALMA 1983
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:16 am
Location: Heysham

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Phil Anderer wrote:Neil, it's fine suggesting that Premier league clubs should fund a survival package for the EFL, but they stand to lose I read £750 million in TV money, and not all Premier league clubs are moneybags clubs like the usual suspects. For example how much could Bournemouth contribute? I totally understand where you're coming from, just saying it's not that simple.


I wonder if many Sky Sports subscribers like myself will now be cancelling or suspending their subscriptions to Sky which will have a knock on effect to the Premier League. I don't see the point in paying £80 odd per month to see Sky showing progs like "How the 1995 Premier League was won" !


I will be cancelling my Sky Sports tomorrow. There is no point in having it now that there is zero live sport to watch. I wonder what deals they will throw at people wanting to cancel?
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Freez » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 pm

Let us know how you get on. I have BT, nothing but Yank shite on and Badminton. Might have to be having a word myself.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
User avatar
Freez
 
Posts: 3783
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:57 pm

HALMA 1983 wrote:What started off as flu or a released chemical weapon? we haven't got a clue


Yes, we do have a clue! We have a "clue" that this happens regularly, a few times each century. It is a 'cold virus'. There are loads of them. This is a 'new' cold virus.

To all the hysterical conspiracy theorists, I'll believe it was man made when you explain who 'made' the virus responsible for the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918? If it was 'man made' they did bloody well, considering we didn't discover viruses until much later! Or do you think these things were naturally occurring back then, but became man made weapons after Facebook was invented?

We have all the "clues", just need to put them together without becoming paranoid! :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
User avatar
Keith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16080
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Isle of Man

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Keith wrote:
HALMA 1983 wrote:What started off as flu or a released chemical weapon? we haven't got a clue


Yes, we do have a clue! We have a "clue" that this happens regularly, a few times each century. It is a 'cold virus'. There are loads of them. This is a 'new' clod virus.

To all the hysterical conspiracy theorists, I'll believe it was man made when you explain who 'made' the virus responsible for the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918? If it was 'man made' they did bloody well, considering we didn't discover viruses until much later! Or do you think these things were naturally occurring back then, but became man made weapons after Facebook was invented?

We have all the "clues", just need to put them together without becoming paranoid! :roll:


They seem to occur more often in election years and with so many underlying problems going off right now, all around the world, why not dull it all down and take people's minds off it by making everyone housebound
No one seems remotely bothered about anything rational and would sooner squabble over a pack of toilet rolls :lol: :lol: :lol:
HALMA 1983
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:16 am
Location: Heysham

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby parceldave » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Freez wrote:Let us know how you get on. I have BT, nothing but Yank shite on and Badminton. Might have to be having a word myself.


What you on about the best motor sport has just been on this weekend , WRC in Mexico . ;)
User avatar
parceldave
 
Posts: 2310
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby HALMA 1983 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:21 am

parceldave wrote:
Freez wrote:Let us know how you get on. I have BT, nothing but Yank shite on and Badminton. Might have to be having a word myself.


What you on about the best motor sport has just been on this weekend , WRC in Mexico . ;)


Best get the Lancia Stratos and Mk1 Escort Mexico ready for action
Finally, my 1970s Scalextric set from Edmondsons of Queen street is about to see the light of day once more :D
HALMA 1983
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:16 am
Location: Heysham

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 am

Freez wrote:Let us know how you get on. I have BT, nothing but Yank shite on and Badminton. Might have to be having a word myself.


Over 45 minute call wait time and a 2 minute speech about how the live events are only postponed and not cancelled. I suspect SKY are making it rather tricky to contact them.
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:51 am

I think it's only fair to conclude this season, whenever that may be.

Next season can be modified if required to get back onto a normal schedule. Perhaps only playing each team once (luck of the draw whether that's home or away) or cancelling cup competitions for one season only.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:21 am
Location: Sleepy suburbs of Chiang Mai, Thailand

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Freez » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:39 pm

With the Euros now officially postponed until 2021, this gives the leagues the opportunity to catch up until late June if the virus calms down.
Sky will be inundated with folk asking what they are paying for with no sport on!!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
User avatar
Freez
 
Posts: 3783
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests