Jim Harvey becomes life Vice President

Jim Harvey becomes life Vice President

Postby AndyReifman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:55 pm

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2020/m ... president/

MORECAMBE FC is delighted to announce that former manager Jim Harvey has become a Life Vice President.

Jim originally joined Morecambe as assistant to Leighton James and took over as manager in July 1994.

He managed the club for more than 550 games in an 11-year spell, leading the Shrimps to promotion to the Football Conference in 1996.

The successes continued when In 1998, his side won the Spalding Cup with victory over Woking.

He also led Morecambe to second place in the Conference in 2003 and took them to the Conference play-off semi-finals only to be defeated in a heartbreaking penalty shootout against Dagenham & Redbridge.

The Board of Directors are delighted to offer Harvey the position.

They commented: “Jim Harvey made a massive contribution to the success of Morecambe Football Club and will always be known as the man who led the club into the Conference and two memorable FA Cup runs that saw the Shrimps through into the 3rd round.

"But as well as being a highly respected coach, he worked hard to improve the infrastructure of the club, playing a major part in developing the club’s academy, bringing many players through to the first team and playing a prominent role in the foundation of the "Football in the Community Scheme" (as it was then).

"We are delighted that he has accepted our offer of becoming a Life Vice President and hope to see him at the Globe Arena soon.’’

Jim Harvey said he was pleased to accept the offer.

He said: “I had many years enjoying my work at Morecambe. I have had a great career both as a player and a coach and Morecambe features prominently in that.

"I felt privileged to have the job of Manager and fully enjoyed the progress we were able to make together both on and off the field during my tenure.

"I take huge pride in seeing the club play in the Football League and while I was not Manager at the time of promotion to the Football League I know that my work was a significant contributor.

"I also take great pride in having positively influenced the careers of the many players that came through the youth system at Morecambe and to this day are still playing at a great level of competitive football. I now look forward to fulfilling this position and meeting with some old friends more often.”
AndyReifman

Re: Jim Harvey becomes life Vice President

Postby Old Man Kensey » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:07 pm

Well deserved. Morecambe Legend.
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby Redalert1970 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:14 pm

Fantastic news
Redalert1970

Postby Vinny » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:43 pm

A great gesture by the Board. Welcome back Jim! Long overdue acknowledgement of the great times, players, teams and performances JH brought to the club back at Christie Park.

JIMMY HARVEY's RED 'N' BLACK ARMY!! :D
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:46 pm

I love the way the club is doing things these days. Really exciting times.
BerlinWaller

Postby BoroRedShrimp » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:49 pm

Great news. Jimmy Harvey signed some cracking players and made us into a great team. Thanks to him and Sammy they were the reason we are here today.
Profile picture; James Stannage.
BoroRedShrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 pm

A brilliant footballing man and true gentleman
Look forward to seeing him and 'get Rogan on' :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 pm

I think this can go down as a surprise, well done those involved.
Another bottom on a seat :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Andy D » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:14 am

wonder what Jim’s role will be, will it just in Hospitality Meet and Greet or/and decision making with the club etc ?
Andy D

Postby Andy D » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:16 am

potentially we’ve recruited a back up Caretaker Manager in an Emergency too!
Andy D

Postby redrobo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:58 am

Absolutely delighted for the club and for Jim himself.

Many fond memories of talking to him both on the training ground and at his home in Bolton le Sands.

Was badly let down by the Chairman at the time and if PMcG was still with us there is no way would Jim have been asked to get involved.

Not sure what the role involves but would be great if he and DA could form some kind of partnership for the benefit of our club. One thing for sure is that DA has a real footballing person who he can relate to and seek advice if ever needed.

The club have now going an excellent quartet of footballing people...DA, JH, JMc and physio SF.... :D

More and more clubs are appointing 'footballing' General Managers with the Manager on the field relying on the GM to take a lot of the weight of their shoulders. Maybe JH will be able to have a role in spotting potential p[layers for the club although I understand that DA has a reputation of controlling all aspects of footballing matters both on and off the field.

Wishful thinking on my part but would love to see JH get involved once again.

Brilliant and well done to the Board for this excellent appointment.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
redrobo

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Surely it is nothing more than an honorary role given to Jim by the club? He will be welcomed in to the Boardroom on match days and watch the game from the Directors box. It is great to see the club has acknowledged Jim's time at the club and it would be nice to see presented to the fans before a game.
BerlinWaller

Postby Born again Bill » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:34 pm

I agree with Berlin W , I'm sure it's just a thankyou to Jim Harvey for his years of hard work as manager . A wonderful gesture as we approach our centenary year .
Born again Bill

Postby glagys » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Now this guy is a proper Legend
glagys

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:46 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Surely it is nothing more than an honorary role given to Jim by the club? He will be welcomed in to the Boardroom on match days and watch the game from the Directors box. It is great to see the club has acknowledged Jim's time at the club and it would be nice to see presented to the fans before a game.

I agree, Jim’s been out of football for four years and managed two leagues lower than where we are now. Jim did a great job for us and it is nice to see him being offered & accepting this position.

As for Derek asking Jim for advice... I think Derek is mates with Alex Ferguson, so if he needs advice he’s got options! :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:06 pm

Is it not the same role that Jim Bowen used to have and I dont think he gave the manager anu advice.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:57 pm

I think it's just a ceremonial role like Jim Bowen. Hopefully Jim Harvey will come out more than just when the TV cameras turn up.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby RapidShrimp » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:13 pm

On the OWS in the ‘Who’s who’ section it has vice life presidents as a role:

“Life Vice Presidents
Mr K Ormrod, Mr E Weldrake, Mrs J Weldrake, Mrs V Easthope, Mr P Howard, Mr N Marsdin, Mr P Cross, Mr J Whittaker, Mr G Hodgson, Mrs L Hodgson, Cate Barker and David Barker”

As said above, this is nothing more than an honorary appointment to mark his contributions to our club and he won’t be expected to involve himself - unless he himself wants to be involved, which is unlikely now that he is at the end of his career in football and probably just wants a bit of time off!
RapidShrimp

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Its a great move by the club IMO - I think it has Rod Taylors fingerprints all over it. Long overdue recognition for Harvey, who laid the foundations of our Football League tenure - but unfortunately couldn't get us over the line.

Jim will have no input into playing side of things - those that suggest otherwise are the same people stockpiling bog roll. This is purely a ceremonial appointment.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:34 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Its a great move by the club IMO - I think it has Rod Taylors fingerprints all over it.

I think Rod has his fingerprints on just about everything, even my gin glass, long may it continue, Where we would be without this gentleman I shudder to think
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby redrobo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:15 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Its a great move by the club IMO - I think it has Rod Taylors fingerprints all over it. Long overdue recognition for Harvey, who laid the foundations of our Football League tenure - but unfortunately couldn't get us over the line.

Jim will have no input into playing side of things - those that suggest otherwise are the same people stockpiling bog roll. This is purely a ceremonial appointment.

You know that for a fact do you.... :?: :?: :?:

It could well be that DA will discuss footballing matters in general with JH.....maybe even seek a second opinion on targeted players OR maybe ask JH to get involved in scouting.

I wouldn't discount anything......

As for stockpiling bog rolls...... :o :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
redrobo

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:29 pm

redrobo wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:Its a great move by the club IMO - I think it has Rod Taylors fingerprints all over it. Long overdue recognition for Harvey, who laid the foundations of our Football League tenure - but unfortunately couldn't get us over the line.

It could well be that DA will discuss footballing matters in general with JH.....maybe even seek a second opinion on targeted players OR maybe ask JH to get involved in scouting.

If you think that Derek Adams will be consulting Jim Harvey about team selection or player recruitment then you must have cupboards full of baked beans too - the end is nigh!

I've not even covered the part where you casually name drop going to Harveys abode in BLS for a natter - I assume your restraining order has expired pal? ;)
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 pm

redrobo wrote:

There is more chance of Jim showing Derek how to reverse out of a parking bay
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:53 pm

As previously posted....I wouldn't discount anything....and as for baked beans..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
redrobo

Postby Ego Tripping » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:22 pm

Quite right. I’m not ruling out Jim helping people all around the club. Maybe he has some excellent pie recipes. I’m also not ruling out him helping with bar operations, maybe he could sing in the bar pre game or even help the coach driver ensure he’s getting maximum mpg on away games. Let’s not rule anything out
Ego Tripping

Next

Return to General Discussion