Morecambe 1 [Phillips] Cambridge 1 iFollow Thread

Re: LIve Ifollow thread v Cambridge

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm

Slanester wrote:
Redalert1970 wrote:Walsall away before Cheltenham

Not for me. Can’t make Walsall.

The amount of away games you attend, it'd be easier just to jump on the team coach :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby Slanester » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:28 pm

HALMA 1983 wrote:
Slanester wrote:
Redalert1970 wrote:Walsall away before Cheltenham

Not for me. Can’t make Walsall.

The amount of away games you attend, it'd be easier just to jump on the team coach :lol:

I wish mate. :D
Slanester

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:25 pm

A lot of new faces but same old football, apart from the 2 clarets the standard is bargain basement.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:38 pm

Keith wrote:
Keith wrote:Two very poor sides.

First goal is really important today as neither side look confident enough to come back from going behind.

Called half of it correctly :cry: Two poor sides.

We scored because Slew took a good shot from distance. After a rebound, Phillips scored well. But we then decided to sit back and defend deep. Literally ten minutes before they equalized I said “it is coming...” Sure enough the only team looking likely to score, did so.

After the substitutions, we got back on top again and they had the weirdest time wasting, with a substitution that took four minutes, then didn’t happen! It appeared to distrust them even more and in the end, a fantastic save from their keeper kept them in it.

A poor game, between two poor sides, interspersed with some exciting moments!

Keith, I think everyone in the ground said 'it was coming'. We simply sat back after the opener and invited them on and for 10m minutes we couldn't get hold of the ball, it was inevitable. They must have come for the draw because after that they too sat back a little and to be fair we came back into it and could have won it with a bit more good fortune.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:
Keith wrote:
Keith wrote:Two very poor sides.

First goal is really important today as neither side look confident enough to come back from going behind.

Called half of it correctly :cry: Two poor sides.

We scored because Slew took a good shot from distance. After a rebound, Phillips scored well. But we then decided to sit back and defend deep. Literally ten minutes before they equalized I said “it is coming...” Sure enough the only team looking likely to score, did so.

After the substitutions, we got back on top again and they had the weirdest time wasting, with a substitution that took four minutes, then didn’t happen! It appeared to distrust them even more and in the end, a fantastic save from their keeper kept them in it.

A poor game, between two poor sides, interspersed with some exciting moments!

Keith, I think everyone in the ground said 'it was coming'. We simply sat back after the opener and invited them on and for 10m minutes we couldn't get hold of the ball, it was inevitable. They must have come for the draw because after that they too sat back a little and to be fair we came back into it and could have won it with a bit more good fortune.

To be fair to Cambridge, they were on the front foot from the off and most certainly didn't look like a side that had just been thrashed at home by Stevenage.

The main problem is Cole being far too isolated and it was crying out for A.J much earlier than he was introduced but with both, Tanner and O,Sullivan missing, the side appeared unbalanced
HALMA 1983

Postby CityShrimp » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:29 pm

It definitely felt like we were wasting time after they scored and we were settling for the point - which was disappointing.
CityShrimp

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:43 pm

Is it just me? Today I got the horrible feeling that our stay in the EFL may be coming to an end soon. First half was even and whilst we never looked like scoring we also never looked like conceding. Dream start to the second half with that goal, so hopefully lets kick on and take the game to them. No such thing, rather a gradual capitulation then a total surrender where we hardly touched the ball for 10 minutes followed by the inevitable equalizer. The game looked there for the taking for them but for some strange reason they took their foot off the gas and were almost made to pay, but not quite. We don't seem to have the quality in the squad to put games to bed and despite his flicks and tricks Gomez-Mendes is lightweight and too easily bullied out of the game.

Macclesfield won again and despite their horrendous off field problems keep picking up more points than us. If they win their points deduction appeal then it casts us and Stevenage adrift in what appears a straight head to head relegation dog fight. Macc' fans are already identifying their game at the Globe on 10th February as a must win and I feel we must do the same and also hope the EFL win the appeal to keep the points deduction and maybe also add the suspended 4 points deduction for the postponed Plymouth game. Who knows, time will tell!
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:...also hope the EFL win the appeal to keep the points deduction and maybe also add the suspended 4 points deduction for the postponed Plymouth game.

I'd previously said that would be an awful way for us to stay up. After today, I'd take it. :cry: We should be thankful that Cambridge were happy with a draw, because if they'd carried on pressing, there was only one team going to win... and it wasn't us :cry:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:Keith, I think everyone in the ground said 'it was coming'. We simply sat back after the opener and invited them on and for 10m minutes we couldn't get hold of the ball, it was inevitable.

Not everyone, because nothing changed. :cry:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Re: Morecambe 1 [Phillips] Cambridge 1 iFollow Thread

Postby glagys » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Poor game, poor refereeing,
We scored and then they upped their game, we didn't sit back we just never got the ball
agreed AJ should have come on earlier
Slew nowhere near match ready
Dave looks steady
Cooney looks a good player
Phillips far too good for us but I would like to keep him for next season, as we take league 2 by storm
glagys

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:58 pm

The only really good players we get are always either on loan, or not with us for long.
mrpotatohead

Postby Andy D » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:01 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:The only really good players we get are always either on loan, or not with us for long.

So that’s just like an average typical L2 Football club.
Andy D

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:16 pm

glagys wrote:We scored and then they upped their game, we didn't sit back we just never got the ball

Don't agree with that. We had everyone back in our own penalty area except Cole, so when we did get the ball, the only option was to hoof it to him. They had freedom to press more players forwards, so the ball just kept coming back at us, time after time. If [for example] we'd kept Carlos out too, they would have pulled one or two more players back, because they couldn't risk Carlos picking up a knock down from Cole. We just kept doing the same thing until we inevitably conceded.

glagys wrote:agreed AJ should have come on earlier

Yup.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 pm

Andy D wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:The only really good players we get are always either on loan, or not with us for long.

So that’s just like an average typical L2 Football club.

That is the trouble with being a 2 team W.....
BerlinWaller

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:32 pm

Watched the game from the Berlin wall today, first and last time, I am so glad I am not poor.
mrpotatohead

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:Is it just me? Today I got the horrible feeling that our stay in the EFL may be coming to an end soon. First half was even and whilst we never looked like scoring we also never looked like conceding. Dream start to the second half with that goal, so hopefully lets kick on and take the game to them. No such thing, rather a gradual capitulation then a total surrender where we hardly touched the ball for 10 minutes followed by the inevitable equalizer. The game looked there for the taking for them but for some strange reason they took their foot off the gas and were almost made to pay, but not quite. We don't seem to have the quality in the squad to put games to bed and despite his flicks and tricks Gomez-Mendes is lightweight and too easily bullied out of the game.

Macclesfield won again and despite their horrendous off field problems keep picking up more points than us. If they win their points deduction appeal then it casts us and Stevenage adrift in what appears a straight head to head relegation dog fight. Macc' fans are already identifying their game at the Globe on 10th February as a must win and I feel we must do the same and also hope the EFL win the appeal to keep the points deduction and maybe also add the suspended 4 points deduction for the postponed Plymouth game. Who knows, time will tell!

Looks like it all comes down to that meeting in March, that game is pivotal and a do or die for the club.
Its importance needs building up and maybe a call to arms from the directors in making sure an incentive is in place, for the towns folk to show up in numbers and be the 12th man.
HALMA 1983

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:36 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Watched the game from the Berlin wall today, first and last time, I am so glad I am not poor.

Come to see what you're missing or just to check on your nemesis? :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby Slanester » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:32 am

mrpotatohead wrote:Watched the game from the Berlin wall today, first and last time, I am so glad I am not poor.

Not sure if I’m poor :) but not a better place to watch the game for me.

Cooney is decent, and will definitely do a job for us, but we are already missing Tanner’s dynamism. Aj must be scratching his head in disbelief, like plenty of the supporters. The pressure valve went up another notch after yesterday, but could easily have been worse.

I
Slanester

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:05 am

In Cambridge's last eight games they have won one, drawn one, lost six.

They got hammered by Stevenage last week 0-4 at home.
They were beaten by Macclesfield too, another 'relegation rival', albeit due to points deductions.
Prior to yesterday, Cambridge hadn't scored in three league matches.

Of their last eight games, in the two games they didn't lose, they've drawn with us.
And beaten us.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:31 am

Keith wrote:In Cambridge's last eight games they have won one, drawn one, lost six.

They were beaten by Macclesfield too, another 'relegation rival', albeit due to points deductions.

Of their last eight games, in the two games they didn't lose, they've drawn with us.
And beaten us.

I think the unsettling of the team with Tanner and O'Sullivan missing had an effect, had they been playing it would have been a win,
Derek must be happy his old team did him a big favour at Stevenage and that his destiny is still in his own hands.
HALMA 1983

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:45 am

HALMA 1983 wrote:
Keith wrote:In Cambridge's last eight games they have won one, drawn one, lost six.

And beaten us.

I think the unsettling of the team with Tanner and O'Sullivan missing had an effect, had they been playing it would have been a win,
Derek must be happy his old team did him a big favour at Stevenage and that his destiny is still in his own hands.

Agreed. When I saw Conlan was back in the team I was worried and rightly so. Is O'Sullivan injured or is there a suggestion that he is moving on , I hope not. The new keeper had a good game and looked very competent especially when catching crosses and a great stop in the first half.
Derek must know that we need a striker to have any chance of surviving the drop.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Ispyshrimp » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 am

To be honest, I thought cambridge were poor first half and no threat at all, if we had started with some fight to start with, the game would have been done and dusted half time.
Half time comes it was a dull game, great start to the 2nd half only then to sit back.
Cambridge came out having to have a go then and we concede when we should have gone to finish the game off, we need the goals!!
I thought we were shocking down the left hand side, Conlan hardly won a ball, looked off the pace and Slew did nothing in my opinion and should have been pulled off at half time for AJ.
Tanner looked a big miss compared to what Conlan produced yesterday and slew compared to Sully is no comparison.
It feels like a loss but a point is a point
Ispyshrimp

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:23 am

Ispyshrimp wrote:...Slew did nothing in my opinion and should have been pulled off at half time for AJ.

I broadly agree, although it was Slew's shot from outside the area that led to our goal, so "nothing" is a bit unfair.

I've been saying for a while, we need to get shots off from distance. As long as it is on target, there is a high chance that the keeper will parry the ball and it can then go anywhere. Also, the defence are 'retreating' so on the wrong footing. By the time we've tippy-tappied around the edge of the area, the defence are back and settled. This happened repeatedly v Northampton, where we were playing well, but not shooting until the defence were back in place. Stockton had a dribble across the edge of the penalty area yesterday, looking for a shot about four times, but after his very first touch, there wasn't another opportunity and he had to pass out wide. It was exactly the same move as last week, where he did the same. Yet his last goal came from spinning around and shooting straight away. We scored following Slew's shot from distance and nearly scored from AJ's long shot that was brilliantly saved and went for a corner.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Slanester » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:29 am

Keith wrote:
Ispyshrimp wrote:...Slew did nothing in my opinion and should have been pulled off at half time for AJ.

I broadly agree, although it was Slew's shot from outside the area that led to our goal, so "nothing" is a bit unfair.

I've been saying for a while, we need to get shots off from distance. As long as it is on target, there is a high chance that the keeper will parry the ball and it can then go anywhere. Also, the defence are 'retreating' so on the wrong footing. By the time we've tippy-tappied around the edge of the area, the defence are back and settled. This happened repeatedly v Northampton, where we were playing well, but not shooting until the defence were back in place. Stockton had a dribble across the edge of the penalty area yesterday, looking for a shot about four times, but after his very first touch, there wasn't another opportunity and he had to pass out wide. It was exactly the same move as last week, where he did the same. Yet his last goal came from spinning around and shooting straight away. We scored following Slew's shot from distance and nearly scored from AJ's long shot that was brilliantly saved and went for a corner.

Sorry K, but the effort from distance by Slew, only just tips the scale past nothing. Don’t want to dissect the lad, but he isn’t up to the job so far. Hope he shows his training ground form on the pitch soon, because DA must be seeing something we haven’t.
Slanester

Postby Freez » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm

I actually thought the defence did ok, our problem was it was coming back as midfield sat two yards in front of them!!
Forward in the pipeline apparently, possibly Monday, so I hear, but no clue as to who it is, OSullivan was injured yesterday btw.
Walsall here we come!!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion