WANTED: Striker

Re: WANTED: Striker

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:24 pm

....or half his age
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby redrobo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:34 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:....or half his age

.....just somebody who can save our EFL future.....'cause at the moment it's looking bleak... :cry:
redrobo

Postby Slanester » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 pm

redrobo wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:....or half his age

.....just somebody who can save our EFL future.....'cause at the moment it's looking bleak... :cry:

Definitely rr. Anybody, any age, from anywhere, who can take the chances, and help us get the points we deserve.
Slanester

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Is there a suggestion that Derek has a chance of signing a striker from North of the Border :?: :?:
Gone_Shrimping

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 pm

No spies at training today ?
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 pm

Matt Rhead is currently without a club
BerlinWaller

Postby Ntini » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Perhaps with what Salford have done with Tanner, we should be on the phone to Luton to see if we can get Jake Jervis to link up with his old manager???
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:13 am

Also without a club is Ross McCormack...
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:26 am

Even if you get a striker that can score a few, some of the other players need to be weighing in with the odd goal or two from forward positions, the biggest creative threat on goal at the moment is O'Sullivan and he's missing?
HALMA 1983

Postby Andy D » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:39 am

Scotland Legend Kenny Miller has left Partick Thistle, 40yrs old but still younger than Kevin Ellison?

personally i think he’s worth a short term deal until the end of the season, if the ball drops to his feet inside the penalty area he’ll certainly know where the back of the net is.
Andy D

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Andy D wrote:Scotland Legend Kenny Miller has left Partick Thistle, 40yrs old but still younger than Kevin Ellison?

personally i think he’s worth a short term deal until the end of the season, if the ball drops to his feet inside the penalty area he’ll certainly know where the back of the net is.

At this level, he'd still have a field day and if you go with two upfront, no need for him to drop back as much.
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:16 pm

HALMA 1983 wrote:Even if you get a striker that can score a few, some of the other players need to be weighing in with the odd goal or two from forward positions, the biggest creative threat on goal at the moment is O'Sullivan and he's missing?

Phillips is a bit of a goal threat isn't he? Gomes and Slew have got a few shots off between them. Kenyon threatens Langridge and The Hurly Flyer more than the goal but he has a shot or 2.

Cole was isolated yesterday but you will never see 2 up front again in the modern game.

I have heard the Miller rumour, I alluded to it in a post on here the other day. Had a look through Twitter and he isn't a very popular bloke.
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Bristol Shrimp wrote:Also without a club is Ross McCormack...

Gone are all the scousers and suddenly it's a gathering of the clans :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:25 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
HALMA 1983 wrote:Even if you get a striker that can score a few, some of the other players need to be weighing in with the odd goal or two from forward positions, the biggest creative threat on goal at the moment is O'Sullivan and he's missing?

Phillips is a bit of a goal threat isn't he? Gomes and Slew have got a few shots off between them. Kenyon threatens Langridge and The Hurly Flyer more than the goal but he has a shot or 2.

Cole was isolated yesterday but you will never see 2 up front again in the modern game.

I have heard the Miller rumour, I alluded to it in a post on here the other day. Had a look through Twitter and he isn't a very popular bloke.

O'Sullivan not only assists, he also chips in with goals and playing one upfront at home, against a very poor side, doesn't show a statement of intent.
A draw isn't the end of the world but it certainly weakens the Fortress wall's
HALMA 1983

Postby Andy D » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:41 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:

Liverpool and Man City, play 3 upfront and “ Boss” the modern game.

Derek as played 4-3-3 before, but difference now is we’ve Big Dave in midfield, it could work ;)
Andy D

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:48 pm

[quote][/quote]
Gone are all the scousers and suddenly it's a gathering of the clans.

Haha true, in that case; Marvin Emnes is also without a club :D
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:30 pm

Andy D wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:

Liverpool and Man City, play 3 upfront and “ Boss” the modern game.

Derek as played 4-3-3 before, but difference now is we’ve Big Dave in midfield, it could work ;)

Liverpool don't play with a "striker" at all. People on here are wanting a 442 but that will never happen again as long as teams continue to use 3 in midfield. We play a 42121 almost nowadays and that is pretty much the standard formation. You have to have 3 in the middle of the park now or else you get over run.
BerlinWaller

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:36 pm

HALMA 1983 wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:

O'Sullivan not only assists, he also chips in with goals and playing one upfront at home, against a very poor side, doesn't show a statement of intent.
A draw isn't the end of the world but it certainly weakens the Fortress wall's

I thought Cambridge performed well yesterday. They set up similar to us and that caused the first half stalemate. They attacked in numbers and looked organised. I think you are doing them an injustice. It was a poor game yes but I wouldn't say two very poor sides. They say in boxing that styles make fights and that is true about yesterdays game.

DA was assistant to Calderwood at Hibs so they probably have the same methods.
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:25 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:I thought Cambridge performed well yesterday. They set up similar to us and that caused the first half stalemate. They attacked in numbers and looked organised. I think you are doing them an injustice. It was a poor game yes but I wouldn't say two very poor sides. They say in boxing that styles make fights and that is true about yesterdays game.

Fair enough, some good points made but knowing just how important this Home game was and the overwhelming need for 3 points, with tricky aways on the horizon, something was sadly lacking.
As for their 'set up'
Derek had ample time to change it but chose not to 'go for it' by making the much needed, timely substitutions, when it was blatantly obvious his own set up was being stifled,
As said previous, you have to allow for the unexpected loss of key players but at the end of the day, you are only ever as good as your last result.

This is and always has been, an incredibly, complex, difficult job and now the dust has settled, it's becoming even more apparent
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:35 pm

HALMA 1983 wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:I thought Cambridge performed well yesterday. They set up similar to us and that caused the first half stalemate. They attacked in numbers and looked organised. I think you are doing them an injustice. It was a poor game yes but I wouldn't say two very poor sides. They say in boxing that styles make fights and that is true about yesterdays game.

Fair enough, some good points made but knowing just how important this Home game was and the overwhelming need for 3 points, with tricky aways on the horizon, something was sadly lacking.
As for their 'set up'
Derek had ample time to change it but chose not to 'go for it' by making the much needed, timely substitutions, when it was blatantly obvious his own set up was being stifled,
As said previous, you have to allow for the unexpected loss of key players but at the end of the day, you are only ever as good as your last result.

This is and always has been, an incredibly, complex, difficult job and now the dust has settled, it's becoming even more apparent

You will all get excited but 3 months ago, we lose that game. 100% we would have got swamped and beaten by that Cambridge side and their tactics. Now, we are mad that we didn't win it. That is the difference, the changes the DA has made to the side and the system means we can compete. We should have won it.
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
HALMA 1983 wrote:

As for their 'set up'

You will all get excited but 3 months ago, we lose that game. 100% we would have got swamped and beaten by that Cambridge side and their tactics. Now, we are mad that we didn't win it. That is the difference, the changes the DA has made to the side and the system means we can compete. We should have won it.

Once again, fair points made and I agree the football is more pleasing on the eye but no way was that a Fortress display yesterday, more like a sandcastle with the tide coming in
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:49 pm

1 home defeat in 7 games says we are much harder to beat at home
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:55 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:1 home defeat in 7 games says we are much harder to beat at home

Fact.
Slanester

Postby KenH » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:56 pm

At the start of the season, and most of last season, we were losing most home games. Now we're at least drawing more and winning the occasional one. May not be a brilliant home form, but a lot better than it was.
KenH

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:01 pm

KenH wrote:At the start of the season, and most of last season, we were losing most home games. Now we're at least drawing more and winning the occasional one. May not be a brilliant home form, but a lot better than it was.

Far better than it was and no one is debating that but unless you factor in the away form, where points aren't being gained, it goes full circle
HALMA 1983

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion