O/T David Morris in trouble again!

Re: O/T David Morris in trouble again!

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:27 pm

sandgrown wrote:never forget the note Labour left in the Treasury when they lost the 2010 election.

" Ha Ha there's nothing left "

You know this was a joke and it also wasn't the first time an outgoing government left? In the 1960's a Conservative left a note, words to the effect of 'sorry for the mess old boy'. Difference was, that was taken as a joke and not used for political purposes.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... l-election
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Ispyshrimp » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Keith wrote:
Ispyshrimp wrote:given someone like myself that struggled on the back of Labours poor management of the economy, I'm a long time forgiving

Genuine question, how did you struggle under Labour but improve over the last decade?

I didn't say i struggled under Labour, its what followed that a lot of people were worse off, no increase in wages and cost of living continuing to rise on the back of labours leadership.
The last 10 years have been hard for a lot of people however if Labour would have continued in charge, we would all be a lot worse off in my opinion
Voted labour all my life apart from last 10 years
Ispyshrimp

Postby Ispyshrimp » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Ispyshrimp wrote:
redrobo wrote:After nine years of the Tories 'working hard' to destroy public services

Utter and complete rubbish.....

Why would any Government whatever its colour do that.....knowing full well the public outcry there would be and the humiliation it would receive in any General Election.... :?:

And as for the Labour Party's outcry about the press, did you not see the interview between Boris and Andrew Marr where AM didn't allow Boris to answer any of his questions.... :evil:

Never mind another probable 10 years to get over it.... :roll:

Spot on

I think the Torys have got some harsh flack for the way in which they have tried to balance the books.

Yes, it was totally unfair that they tried 'balancing the books' by instantly cutting the the top rate of tax for high earner (such as our friends the bankers) and implemented a decade of austerity on the nation.

Well, at least they managed to pay off some national debt. Oh, wait a minute? It doubled to £1,821.3 billion. Cracking job guys. Best vote them back in again I say?

Again people hear what they want to hear, what makes me laugh is some labour voters not having the balls to say it how it is, probably some of those protesting last night in London and still not believing the
result and holding onto the fact Brexit wont happen

if Labour would have bothered about me, you or anybody else in the country they would have listeined to their supporters who voted to leave instead of them wanting to stay, no matter what, like sticking 2 fingers up at their own voters.
People vote with their feet, they did in America by voting Trump and they did here Thursday
Ispyshrimp

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Those that don't like the result should move to erm..... Isle of Man?
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Ispyshrimp wrote:I didn't say i struggled under Labour...

Sorry... I misunderstood, what with you previously saying...

Ispyshrimp wrote:given someone like myself that struggled on the back of Labours poor management of the economy[/b]
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Westgate Wanderer wrote:Those that don't like the result should move to erm..... Isle of Man?

Too right! Best thing we did :D

Unfortunately, we're currently being dragged along by the UK without having any say in the matter. We're not in the EU but have a 'protocol agreement' allowing us to trade & travel. Obviously, we will lose that with Brexit, but if it is difficult to predict what will happen in the UK, it is impossible to second guess the knock on impact.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Ispyshrimp wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:
Ispyshrimp wrote:Again people hear what they want to hear, what makes me laugh is some labour voters not having the balls to say it how it is, probably some of those protesting last night in London and still not believing the
result and holding onto the fact Brexit wont happen

if Labour would have bothered about me, you or anybody else in the country they would have listeined to their supporters who voted to leave instead of them wanting to stay, no matter what, like sticking 2 fingers up at their own voters.
People vote with their feet, they did in America by voting Trump and they did here Thursday

With a near 50-50 split on the regular voters Labour was between a rock and a hard place on Brexit. Their eventual compromise pleased neither and they voted according.

That said, their campaign was poor and Corbyn (rightly or wrongly) became a liability.

Lessons need to be learnt by Labour, however with Brexit implanted and the right leadership things can be turned around.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Westgate Wanderer wrote:Those that don't like the result should move to erm..... Isle of Man?

Less than 1% unemployment, lots of jobs.

https://services.gov.im/job-search/

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Keith wrote:
redrobo wrote:After nine years of the Tories 'working hard' to destroy public services

Utter and complete rubbish.....

Why would any Government whatever its colour do that.....knowing full well the public outcry there would be and the humiliation it would receive in any General Election.... :?:

How do you explain the "utter and complete rubbish" of the stats released yesterday?
Waiting times for A&E and hospital operations worst on record, NHS figures show
Funny how they were only released AFTER the election?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 45436.html

Like Stats do you Keith?

just coincidence that since 2004 and Free Movement we’ve had no control over an increasing population at an alarming rate in such a short time?

Is it any wonder public services among other things are stretched ?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... revious/v1
Attachments
074F1C64-F6B7-4351-AEAC-3F785C4ABB38.png
074F1C64-F6B7-4351-AEAC-3F785C4ABB38.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Andy D

Postby KenH » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Keith wrote:

Less than 1% unemployment, lots of jobs.

Ironically, all on the back of being a tax haven. There wouldn't be a financial services industry if it weren't a tax haven.
KenH

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:44 am

Just to offer a different perspective, I've never voted Labour in my life, but I said to friends a week before the election that if i lived in a Labour/Tory marginal I'd seriously consider voting Labour in spite of Corbyn just to try to keep Doris out, so much do I distrust him.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby redrobo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:57 am

Phil Anderer wrote:Just to offer a different perspective, I've never voted Labour in my life, but I said to friends a week before the election that if i lived in a Labour/Tory marginal I'd seriously consider voting Labour in spite of Corbyn just to try to keep Doris out, so much do I distrust him.

Interestingly that our local MP Tim Farron of the Lib Dems doubled his majority which would suggest that local issues where an important factor in the result.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:Just to offer a different perspective, I've never voted Labour in my life, but I said to friends a week before the election that if i lived in a Labour/Tory marginal I'd seriously consider voting Labour in spite of Corbyn just to try to keep Doris out, so much do I distrust him.

Here's another perspective. My brother , trade union member all his life and usually a Labour voter had a visit from a Labour canvasser just before the election. He told the canvasser that if he thought Corbyn and McDonnell were right in their heads then he wasn't. The canvasser said something like "I don't think we can count on you then" to which the reply was "No you can f*** off with Corbyn" !!
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:06 pm

redrobo wrote:

Interestingly that our local MP Tim Farron of the Lib Dems doubled his majority which would suggest that local issues where an important factor in the result.... :?: :?: :?:

I suspect it's more that it's a remain voting constituency and remain minded Tories/floating voters voted Lib Dem against the prospect of Doris's hard Brexit, in spite of the undemocratic Stop Brexit policy.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:

Here's another perspective. My brother , trade union member all his life and usually a Labour voter had a visit from a Labour canvasser just before the election. He told the canvasser that if he thought Corbyn and McDonnell were right in their heads then he wasn't. The canvasser said something like "I don't think we can count on you then" to which the reply was "No you can f*** off with Corbyn" !!

That's not actually that different from other perspectives offered in this thread, other than the unnecessary use of foul language (by your brother, that is).
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:

That's not actually that different from other perspectives offered in this thread, other than the unnecessary use of foul language (by your brother, that is).

I think a lot of Labour canvassers got similar messages from the electorate during the campaign.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Here's another perspective. My brother , trade union member all his life and usually a Labour voter had a visit from a Labour canvasser just before the election. He told the canvasser that if he thought Corbyn and McDonnell were right in their heads then he wasn't. The canvasser said something like "I don't think we can count on you then" to which the reply was "No you can f*** off with Corbyn" !!

That's not actually that different from other perspectives offered in this thread, other than the unnecessary use of foul language (by your brother, that is).[/quote]

I think a lot of Labour canvassers got similar messages from the electorate during the campaign.[/quote]

And this for me is quite sad. I have a lot of respect for activists that give up their time and go door knocking in the hope of a reasoned discussion on real issues. The fact that many had already made up their mind (often from only consuming information from media sources) and using bad language to avoid a real discussion is a poor reflection of our society.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:Here's another perspective. My brother , trade union member all his life and usually a Labour voter had a visit from a Labour canvasser just before the election. He told the canvasser that if he thought Corbyn and McDonnell were right in their heads then he wasn't. The canvasser said something like "I don't think we can count on you then" to which the reply was "No you can f*** off with Corbyn" !!

I think a lot of Labour canvassers got similar messages from the electorate during the campaign.[/quote]

And this for me is quite sad. I have a lot of respect for activists that give up their time and go door knocking in the hope of a reasoned discussion on real issues. The fact that many had already made up their mind (often from only consuming information from media sources) and using bad language to avoid a real discussion is a poor reflection of our society.[/quote]

I think debate and discussion between people of different persuasions has turned nasty since Corbyn and McDonnell took over the Labour party with all the £3 members. Some of the threats of violence etc have made it very unpleasant.

Hopefully it may return to a more civilised debate again when Corbyn and McDonnell have been banished but it depends on whether they are replaced with more people like them or whether they go back to normal leadership.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:

I think a lot of Labour canvassers got similar messages from the electorate during the campaign.

And this for me is quite sad. I have a lot of respect for activists that give up their time and go door knocking in the hope of a reasoned discussion on real issues. The fact that many had already made up their mind (often from only consuming information from media sources) and using bad language to avoid a real discussion is a poor reflection of our society.[/quote]

I think debate and discussion between people of different persuasions has turned nasty since Corbyn and McDonnell took over the Labour party with all the £3 members. Some of the threats of violence etc have made it very unpleasant.

Hopefully it may return to a more civilised debate again when Corbyn and McDonnell have been banished but it depends on whether they are replaced with more people like them or whether they go back to normal leadership.[/quote]

It goes back way before Corbyn & McDonnell. Social media is a big part of it, with keyboard warriors hiding behind internet anonymity, but I remember probably over 10 years ago our local Tory party sending out a leaflet for a local election that had nothing about their policies and just slagged off the main competition, i.e. the Lib Dems, and i have refused even to consider voting for them at local level on that basis since.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Slanester » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:04 am

Phil Anderer wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Hopefully it may return to a more civilised debate again when Corbyn and McDonnell have been banished

It goes back way before Corbyn & McDonnell. Social media is a big part of it, with keyboard warriors hiding behind internet anonymity, but I remember probably over 10 years ago our local Tory party sending out a leaflet for a local election that had nothing about their policies and just slagged off the main competition, i.e. the Lib Dems, and i have refused even to consider voting for them at local level on that basis since.

It is the same now,as it always ever was.Social Media is just another way that people express their veiws, good,bad or ugly.
In years gone by, in the Bassetlaw constituency, which is the area I am from originally, Boris J would have needed an armed guard to enter one of the local working men’s clubs. Today, he would be welcomed with an “aye up,” and a pint. The “slagging off” of the competition is just part of politics, whether we like it or not.
Slanester

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:35 am

Hopefully it may return to a more civilised debate again when Corbyn and McDonnell have been banished but it depends on whether they are replaced with more people like them or whether they go back to normal leadership.[/quote]

It goes back way before Corbyn & McDonnell. Social media is a big part of it, with keyboard warriors hiding behind internet anonymity, but I remember probably over 10 years ago our local Tory party sending out a leaflet for a local election that had nothing about their policies and just slagged off the main competition, i.e. the Lib Dems, and i have refused even to consider voting for them at local level on that basis since.[/quote]

Well leaflets are one thing but the violent threats are something that have happened in the last few years since Corbyn and McDonnell appeared on the scene. Boris had to cancel a couple of outdoor "stumps" in town centres due to threats from the extreme left and that is not acceptable in a democracy. Fortunately the result was not affected.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:38 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Andy D » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:31 am

Doubt Mr Morris will be influencing his Mates with the Eden Project now, for obvious reasons with how Money will be spent now and priorities.
Andy D

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:51 am

Andy D wrote:Doubt Mr Morris will be influencing his Mates with the Eden Project now, for obvious reasons with how Money will be spent now and priorities.

Actually its likely that big capital expenditure projects will get the go ahead when this is over to take up the inevitable unemployment that will arise.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:55 am

marky No.1 wrote:Again, again.... wowsers :x

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/new ... or-2528339

Actually David is spot on here. I know of a few people who have received a telephone call from a doctor in the last week along the lines of would you wish to be on the DNR list if you were to fall ill with Coronavirus and they were quite upset.
Gone_Shrimping

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion