O/T David Morris in trouble again!

Re: O/T David Morris in trouble again!

Postby Joel Ninety » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:12 am

It's a conversation everyone should have with family as early as possible. Same with funeral preferences, organ donation, Wind Beneath My Wings etc. Why wait?

Morris and matey boy from the Boardwalk have come out of this looking like idiots. And Morris' daylight photo op clapping for the NHS is as cynical as it gets.
Joel Ninety

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:33 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Again, again.... wowsers :x

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/new ... or-2528339

Actually David is spot on here. I know of a few people who have received a telephone call from a doctor in the last week along the lines of would you wish to be on the DNR list if you were to fall ill with Coronavirus and they were quite upset.

Yeah, far better to wait until they are in hospital, on a ventilator, going to die but with no family or friends with them.

I've had that conversation with elderly people and/or their families many times. When I was managing the EMI unit, as part of the admission process I would talk to the individual if they had awareness still, or their family, or both about the person's wishes. I never, ever found someone getting upset about it and in every occasion the older person had already thought about it, but often never spoken to anyone because they didn't want to upset their family members. On more than one occasion, the individual said that it was a relief to be able to talk about their wishes.

The one thing that we can absolutely guarantee happening, is the one thing we avoid talking about. Morris has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Perhaps if he & his government funded palliative care properly it would be less of an issue?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:54 am

Having had to decide for my mother who was semi conscious and being looked after by the medical team at her care home about authorising a DNR it was the thought of prolonging the inevitable and her continual suffering that was forefront in my mind when I gave an instruction that a DNR should not be undertaken

Until one is faced with that decision then nobody can understand the difficulty and anguish that one goes through in having to determine the outcome of a loved one. As much as it is upsetting for those who have to decide it is those suffering that have to be forefront in the decision.
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:59 am

Keith wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Again, again.... wowsers :x

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/new ... or-2528339

Actually David is spot on here. I know of a few people who have received a telephone call from a doctor in the last week along the lines of would you wish to be on the DNR list if you were to fall ill with Coronavirus and they were quite upset.

Yeah, far better to wait until they are in hospital, on a ventilator, going to die but with no family or friends with them.

I've had that conversation with elderly people and/or their families many times. When I was managing the EMI unit, as part of the admission process I would talk to the individual if they had awareness still, or their family, or both about the person's wishes. I never, ever found someone getting upset about it and in every occasion the older person had already thought about it, but often never spoken to anyone because they didn't want to upset their family members. On more than one occasion, the individual said that it was a relief to be able to talk about their wishes.

The one thing that we can absolutely guarantee happening, is the one thing we avoid talking about. Morris has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Perhaps if he & his government funded palliative care properly it would be less of an issue?

I think it should be a clinical decision by the doctor rather than thrown out to relatives who are not in the clear frame of mind for such a decision.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Opinions will differ but until faced with the reality of the situation who is to say that one opinion has greater credence than another.

I know on reflection that my decision was correct for both myself and my mum and I have no regrets, sadness yes, but I know that certain members of my family disagreed on religious grounds alone.
redrobo

Postby Brian S » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:01 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I think it should be a clinical decision by the doctor rather than thrown out to relatives who are not in the clear frame of mind for such a decision.

It's that awkward conversation that everyone should have when they can and not wait until clinicians are involved. I knew my family's thoughts on this long before C19.
Brian S

Postby KenH » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:30 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I think it should be a clinical decision by the doctor rather than thrown out to relatives who are not in the clear frame of mind for such a decision.

Given my experiences of mistakes at the hands of doctors, I wouldn't give them absolute power like that. Just have a read at the "whistle in the wind" book written by an ex RLI consultant re the incompetence and laziness amongst doctors and hospital management. I'd never allow them such powers without proper engagement with the family AND second opinions etc.
KenH

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:47 pm

KenH wrote:

Given my experiences of mistakes at the hands of doctors, I wouldn't give them absolute power like that. Just have a read at the "whistle in the wind" book written by an ex RLI consultant re the incompetence and laziness amongst doctors and hospital management. I'd never allow them such powers without proper engagement with the family AND second opinions etc.

My concern would be that if you agree to DNR then they don't make a great effort and especially when there is a pandemic on and beds are at a premium.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:43 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Keith wrote:...as part of the admission process I would talk to the individual if they had awareness still, or their family, or both about the person's wishes. I never, ever found someone getting upset about it and in every occasion the older person had already thought about it, but often never spoken to anyone because they didn't want to upset their family members. On more than one occasion, the individual said that it was a relief to be able to talk about their wishes.

I think it should be a clinical decision by the doctor rather than thrown out to relatives who are not in the clear frame of mind for such a decision.

I think you missed the important part, this was a conversation that was had on admission, not when the person was unwell. The decision to treat & how is always a medical one, but the person's wishes can influence this. For example, we were not set up to administer I.V. antibiotics or hydration. If a person required this, then they would need to be admitted to hospital. But this would be disorientating to individuals who had dementia. I would start the conversation along the lines of "we hope you will be very happy here and this will be your home for a long time, but by definition, if it is your last home, then you will eventually die here. Do you have any thoughts or wishes about the end of your life that you would want us to know?" Even people who had dementia were often able to talk about this. We often had people and/or their families make it clear that they would not want to be admitted to hospital for things like a chest infection. If the time came when they were frail and coming towards the end of their life, knowing this would help the doctor decide how to treat, or not. We also had people on the general unit who expressed their wish not to have CPR and that they would rather be allowed to die 'respectfully' rather than having someone administering CRP. I once had an elderly gentleman who had made this clear, and it was documented accurately, with him countersigning it (this wasn't someone with dementia). He had a massive heart attack as we were getting him out of bed. Knowing his wishes, we put him back in the bed, made him comfortable and sat with him as he died.

On the flip side, I remember a lady who was admitted to the dementia unit with quite advanced level of confusion. I think she came to us from a residential home. We had no indication of her wishes and she didn't have any family locally. When she was close to dying, some family came to the Island. They were insistent on "everything" being done for her. She was transferred by ambulance to the hospital where she received IV antibiotics until she died a day or two later. We all felt this was a horrible way to die. Had she remained with us, she'd have been cared for by people who knew her well and had looked after her for a long time.

Having this discussion is important and respectful. If the individual wants every reasonable level of support to maintain or prolong life, then that is also clearly recorded & understood. A large number of elderly people would rather die at home if possible.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 pm

KenH wrote:Given my experiences of mistakes at the hands of doctors, I wouldn't give them absolute power like that. Just have a read at the "whistle in the wind" book written by an ex RLI consultant re the incompetence and laziness amongst doctors and hospital management. I'd never allow them such powers without proper engagement with the family AND second opinions etc.

Whistle in the Wind is an excellent, yet frightening book. I think every student doctor or nurse and all hospital managers should read this book. Peter Duffy is now working as a Consultant Urologist here on the Isle of Man. Morecambe Bay Trust's loss is very much our gain. I've spoken to a few people over here who have met or worked with him and all speak highly. Definitely read it and if possible, hold the Trust's management to account.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whistle-Wind-d ... 07VMDP6YD/

Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 am

Keith wrote:
KenH wrote:Given my experiences of mistakes at the hands of doctors, I wouldn't give them absolute power like that. Just have a read at the "whistle in the wind" book written by an ex RLI consultant re the incompetence and laziness amongst doctors and hospital management. I'd never allow them such powers without proper engagement with the family AND second opinions etc.

Whistle in the Wind is an excellent, yet frightening book. I think every student doctor or nurse and all hospital managers should read this book. Peter Duffy is now working as a Consultant Urologist here on the Isle of Man. Morecambe Bay Trust's loss is very much our gain. I've spoken to a few people over here who have met or worked with him and all speak highly. Definitely read it and if possible, hold the Trust's management to account.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whistle-Wind-d ... 07VMDP6YD/

Funny how peoples opinion of others differs.

[EDIT: Keith]
The removed comments could have been libellous unless there is evidence to support the comment. If evidence of a complaint being upheld can be demonstrated, then they can be posted again, but without evidence, they can't.
redrobo

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:48 am

Coun Edwards is the co owner of The Boardwalk which is a major sponsor of the club.
BerlinWaller

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:45 pm

A slightly misleading headline. David Morris is not in trouble with anyone. He disagreed with a local GP who I don't think was elected by 53% of the Morecambe and Lunesdale electorate.

He is entitled to his opinion and people will agree with what he said and some won't. He shoots from the lip and is a "Marmite" character but his share of the vote has increased with each of his 4 election wins so this idea perpetuated by some of the keyboard warriors that only a few rich guys in Caton vote for him doesn't really hold water.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Posh » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Coun Edwards is the co owner of The Boardwalk which is a major sponsor of the club.

Oh, that's alright then. Crack on Edwards. Write to newspapers and get GPs fired, get head teachers fired and even annoy your own Conservative colleagues so much that they leave. https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/new ... ion-571960. You've chucked Morecambe FC a few quid, so that puts you above criticism.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Posh » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:David Morris is not in trouble with anyone. He is entitled to his opinion and people will agree with what he said and some won't. He shoots from the lip [sic].

He is in trouble. I've never seen people turn against him as strongly as his recent actions. Even diehard Tories. Even Daily Mail readers in their thousands in their comments section thought he was behaving despicably.

As for "shooting from the lip". This wasn't a random comment in answer to a question that slipped out in error. This was premeditated phone call to The Daily Mail, orchestrated with Edwards to get Dr Andy Knox fired.

Because you're a die-hard Conservative you think Morris is above criticism.

What's your view on Morris taking £10,000 to ask questions in the House of Commons on behalf of a company?

What's your view on Morris taking £10,000 in personal donations from a director of the company Alexander Temerko, who used to be a senior officer in the Russian Defence Ministry and is still wanted on charges on corruption, theft and forgery, as well as allegations of being a Kremlin spy (Temerko described the late Pavel Grachev, the Russian defence minister of the early 1990s, as his “handler.”).

Does the fact that a Russian citizen is constantly buying the favours of your MP bother you?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:35 pm

Posh wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:David Morris is not in trouble with anyone. He is entitled to his opinion and people will agree with what he said and some won't. He shoots from the lip [sic].

He is in trouble. I've never seen people turn against him as strongly as his recent actions. Even diehard Tories. Even Daily Mail readers in their thousands in their comments section thought he was behaving despicably.

As for "shooting from the lip". This wasn't a random comment in answer to a question that slipped out in error. This was premeditated phone call to The Daily Mail, orchestrated with Edwards to get Dr Andy Knox fired.

Because you're a die-hard Conservative you think Morris is above criticism.

What's your view on Morris taking £10,000 to ask questions in the House of Commons on behalf of a company?

What's your view on Morris taking £10,000 in personal donations from a director of the company Alexander Temerko, who used to be a senior officer in the Russian Defence Ministry and is still wanted on charges on corruption, theft and forgery, as well as allegations of being a Kremlin spy (Temerko described the late Pavel Grachev, the Russian defence minister of the early 1990s, as his “handler.”).

Does the fact that a Russian citizen is constantly buying the favours of your MP bother you?

A lot of people agreed with him over Knox and I want my MP to speak out over important issues.

Do you remember the Headteacher at West End School who made a claim on TV that children in Morecambe were suffering from Rickets ? Well it was later proven by the Health Authority that not only were there no cases of Rickets in Morecambe but that the nearest cases of Rickets were actually in Manchester. I do not recall Red Sioban apologising for telling what was a blatant lie.

As I said he is very "Marmite" and nobody would want him as a friend but he is a mover and shaker and probably the best MP Morecambe has had although the bar is set low.

How do you feel about Labour MPs sponsored by Trade Unions asking questions for them , is that so different.

Anyway he secured 53% of the votes so he is elected whatever system is adopted.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Posh » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:57 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:A lot of people agreed with him over Knox and I want my MP to speak out over important issues.

No they didn't. I've just gone over the Facebook comments on Morecambe & Heysham Past & Present and found three people out of over 100. It was the same on the Lancaster equivalent and the Daily Mail was at least 10:1 on most comments. He has a vendetta against Andy Knox after he pointed out the obvious poverty in Morecambe and Morris denied it.

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Do you remember the Headteacher at West End School who made a claim on TV that children in Morecambe were suffering from Rickets ? Well it was later proven by the Health Authority that not only were there no cases of Rickets in Morecambe but that the nearest cases of Rickets were actually in Manchester. I do not recall Red Sioban apologising for telling what was a blatant lie.

That paragraph above shows just how blinkered and poorly informed you are. Here are your errors:

- It wasn't a teacher who said about rickets it was actually Dr Andy Knox, hence the vendetta, it was one "shoot from the lip [sic]" comment in a larger article about poverty in Morecambe.
- Its Siobhan Collingwood (not Red Sioban [sic], which you've dragged from the Morris abuse catalogue)
- She works at Morecambe Bay Primary School not West End, where she was won several national awards including the Times Educational Supplement (TES) Healthy School of the Year

Incredible isn't it that he's tried to get a well respected GP, an award winning head teacher and the Chair of Morecambe Bay Foodbank fired? What does he have against caring people?

Gone_Shrimping wrote:How do you feel about Labour MPs sponsored by Trade Unions asking questions for them , is that so different.

Trade Unions represent hundreds of thousands of people. Russians don't even represent one British citizen, themselves included, why they should buy influence in the British Parliament?

You're appalling blinkered to the truth around you sadly.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 am

If GPs and Headteachers are engaging in politics which they obviously have then Morris is perfectly entitled to defend himself. I never made him out to be a saint and in fact I regard him as a bit slimy but no more so than many others in all parties.
You seem to think all the Labour MPs are some sort of White Knights riding to the rescue of the downtrodden workers when the opposite is true and they have their snouts in the trough just like the other side.
I may have got her school wrong but she went on TV telling lies about Rickets being rife in Morecambe children etc etc.
There is a procedure in Parliament regarding donations so if Morris has transgressed he will have to face the consequences.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:48 am

Posh wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Coun Edwards is the co owner of The Boardwalk which is a major sponsor of the club.

Oh, that's alright then. Crack on Edwards. Write to newspapers and get GPs fired, get head teachers fired and even annoy your own Conservative colleagues so much that they leave. https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/new ... ion-571960. You've chucked Morecambe FC a few quid, so that puts you above criticism.

Not sure where I condoned his actions or said it's ok because he throws a few quid at the club but hey ho, carry on.
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:There is a procedure in Parliament regarding donations so if Morris has transgressed he will have to face the consequences.

There's a procedure in Parliament for claiming expenses. It would appear that Morris is able to claim expenses for car miles travelled in the UK while he was not even in the UK at the time. Hey-ho, slip of the pen, accidents happen... nothing to see here, just like no poverty to see in Morecambe.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:If GPs and Headteachers are engaging in politics

They weren't. They were doing their jobs.

Gone_Shrimping wrote:You seem to think all the Labour MPs are some sort of White Knights riding to the rescue of the downtrodden workers when the opposite is true and they have their snouts in the trough just like the other side.

That is some massive f****** leap when I didn't even mention Labour MPs. Some Labour MPs do but you've no evidence that they don't help workers when there is clear evidence they do and that they all are corrupt or on the take. I'd simple point to the evidence that one party deliberately misleads more than the other https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/10/investig ... -11651802/.

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I may have got her school wrong but she went on TV telling lies about Rickets being rife in Morecambe children etc etc.

No she didn't. Show the evidence. I can find none. Happy to ask Siobhan, who I know, at which point you may find yourself taking down your comments.

Gone_Shrimping wrote:There is a procedure in Parliament regarding donations so if Morris has transgressed he will have to face the consequences.

So, immoral actions, such as working with corrupt Russians are OK as long as it is within parliamentary rules. Well its good to see where you stand.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Posh » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:00 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Posh wrote:

Not sure where I condoned his actions or said it's ok because he throws a few quid at the club but hey ho, carry on.

What was the point of your post then? What was the point in adding the word 'major', other than to emphasise his role and importance (despite that not being the case)?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 pm

I was just pointing out who he was and that he is a sponsor of the club just in case people didn't know.

Would you agree that he is a major sponsor? Pays a players wage, has a sponsor board and sponsors multiple matches. His pub is the clubs choice for the designated away fans. Jim Bentley was even rolled out to have his pic taken outside of the pub.

Will Keith be editing his potentially libellous post regarding Mr Morris and his expenses?
BerlinWaller

Postby KenH » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 am

Posh wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:A lot of people agreed with him over Knox and I want my MP to speak out over important issues.

No they didn't. I've just gone over the Facebook comments on Morecambe & Heysham Past & Present and found three people out of over 100.

Facebook isn't a representative sample as proved by the last election. Very few people on facebook were in support of Morris nor the Tories, yet the election itself proved otherwise.

Facebook, twitter etc are just echo chambers.
KenH

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion