Rod Taylor's message to the fans yesterday

Re: Rod Taylor's message to the fans yesterday

Postby asda shrimp » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 am

Good idea to publish it on the club web site as we could not hear it on the berlin wall,can someone get this fixed as i know they read this forum,any video out there ?.
asda shrimp

Postby Slanester » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:05 am

asda shrimp wrote:Good idea to publish it on the club web site as we could not hear it

Fair point, neither could I.
Slanester

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 am

asda shrimp wrote:Good idea to publish it on the club web site as we could not hear it on the berlin wall,can someone get this fixed as i know they read this forum,any video out there ?.

Ive put it on the Morecambe FC fans Facebook page, if you can get on there
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Bare bum » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 am

I don't know Rod Taylor so I have no axe to grind with him personally. I just felt that - as The Man With The Microphone - he was in a particularly powerful (and unchallengeable) position on Saturday: nobody had a right to reply. How politicians must envy him: they could all say whatever they liked and the (captive) audience can like it or lump it as we all did at the Globe on Saturday. I didn't personally agree with some of the things he said, which I thought were self-serving and not necessarily true either. To be fair though, I take my hat off to him for being seemingly the only person on the Morecambe Board to be prepared to stick his head above the parapet and actually talk to The Great Unwashed in the first place (who else does?) However, I think it would be better if he were to write a version of what he said on Saturday and publish it on the Club's website. That way, at least there would be the possibility for some sort of feedback from the people who actually support what is - when all is said and done - our club. Not his. Not mine. Not yours. But all of ours. Surely that's a more productive way to proceed for everyone concerned rather than a one-way street where we all hear what he thinks but it doesn't work the other way round.

A bit nit picking there Doc. Yes, of course it was his personal opinion and not necessarily everybody's total view but it was brave, unscripted and passionate and it seemed a genuine attempt at galvanising and unifying all parts of the club at a time of uncertainty. He does have an important role and personally I felt it was inspiring and a declaration of positivity. Sometimes debate and feedback can dilute the overall message. Rod has always declared a willingness to listen and I'm sure if you contacted him directly he would be happy to hear your concerns.
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:49 am

thedoc wrote:I don't know Rod Taylor so I have no axe to grind with him personally. I just felt that - as The Man With The Microphone - he was in a particularly powerful (and unchallengeable) position on Saturday: nobody had a right to reply. How politicians must envy him: they could all say whatever they liked and the (captive) audience can like it or lump it as we all did at the Globe on Saturday. I didn't personally agree with some of the things he said, which I thought were self-serving and not necessarily true either. To be fair though, I take my hat off to him for being seemingly the only person on the Morecambe Board to be prepared to stick his head above the parapet and actually talk to The Great Unwashed in the first place (who else does?) However, I think it would be better if he were to write a version of what he said on Saturday and publish it on the Club's website. That way, at least there would be the possibility for some sort of feedback from the people who actually support what is - when all is said and done - our club. Not his. Not mine. Not yours. But all of ours. Surely that's a more productive way to proceed for everyone concerned rather than a one-way street where we all hear what he thinks but it doesn't work the other way round.

I have to agree with this.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:58 am

My only complaint was that, having met Rod a couple of times and fearing he might recognise me, I didn't dare walk down the stairs and out to the loo; I was bursting by the time he finished! :o :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:45 am

For as long as I've supported the club, so getting on for 50 years, Rod Taylor seems to have been an ever present, both as a fan and for many years now a club official. Whilst many others have fallen by the wayside Rod has steadfastly maintained his passionate support for the club and has been a fine ambassador in his various roles. To me he is Mr Morecambe FC and is more a club legend than any other individual I can think of. He is always approachable and his love of the club shines through with his common sense honest approach. He is a rock on which much of our success over the years has been built. Whilst this may seem a little OTT I personally have nothing but admiration for the guy.Whilst no one is above criticism it is dissapointing to see some individuals having a dig at him. Like Bare Bum says if you have concerns then contact him, I don't think you will ever find another club official as passionate for us to do well as he is.

UTS.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby redrobo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:48 am

To the Doc: Just exactly what did Rod say that wasn't necessarily true.....in your opinion.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:23 pm

How anybody can criticise Rod in any way at all is beyond me, you couldn't meet a more modest and down to earth man if you tried.
I love his passion and drive, he doesn't have to put in the hours he does, A great man!

Also, forgot to mention the input of another very loyal servant and unsung hero of the club,

Chesh:
great to have a chat the other day, the pitch is bloody fantastic, all the hard work by you and your small team of volunteers can't go unnoticed.
you're priceless to this club and a top bloke.
Last edited by HALMA 1983 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HALMA 1983

Postby Slanester » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:29 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:How anybody can criticise Rod in any way at all is beyond me, you couldn't meet a more modest and down to earth man if you tried.
I love his passion and drive, he doesn't have to put in the hours he does, A great man!

Also, forgot to mention the input of another very loyal servant and unsung hero of the club,

Chesh:
great to have a chat the other day, the pitch is bloody fantastic, the hard work, you and your small team of volunteers can't go unnoticed.
you're priceless to this club and a top bloke.

Haven’t met Rod personally, but a massive +1 from me OA.

Chesh and team....absolutely right.
Slanester

Postby MfcChris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:04 pm

asda shrimp wrote:Good idea to publish it on the club web site as we could not hear it on the berlin wall,can someone get this fixed as i know they read this forum,any video out there ?.

The speakers in the home end behind the goal have not worked all season!

I would have liked to ask Rod, what are 2 guys from London wanting from our club. They must be wanting some return and I can't see how they will get all their money back.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Red Robbo...where in his post does the doc say that Rod said anything that wasnt true...you heard Rods speech twice ...so are you going to mend your ways?
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby redrobo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:26 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Red Robbo...where in his post does the doc say that Rod said anything that wasnt true...you heard Rods speech twice ...so are you going to mend your ways?

I suggest you pay a visit to spec savers and try as hard as it may be for you to read the docs post again in particular the 5th line where he suggests that some of Rods speech may be untrue.

All I asked was for doc to explain what part of Rod's speech maybe untrue.
redrobo

Postby asda shrimp » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm

marky No.1 wrote:

Ive put it on the Morecambe FC fans Facebook page, if you can get on there
Found it thanks.
asda shrimp

Postby thedoc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:49 pm

redrobo wrote:To the Doc: Just exactly what did Rod say that wasn't necessarily true.....in your opinion.

Without a version of what he actually said, I can't answer this properly. I'm not avoiding the question: I just thought at one point during proceedings that he was putting a very particular spin on the role of the Board in Jim Bentley's departure which did not tell the whole story. I also note that in the match-day programme, the `article' by co-owner Goldring didn't even mention the Faceflannel controversy which he was directly responsible for, let alone address it. Yet Jimbo cited this bit of skulduggery as the last straw at Morecambe as far as he was concerned. You could say that this isn't Rod's problem - he didn't do it. But Rod's part of the Board; is there no Collective Responsibility?

But to go back to what I wrote originally, given that there's no mechanism for feedback from plebs like me and most of the rest us to the Upper Crust who own our club, maybe this is not all that surprising. To use another political analogy, what happens at Morecambe FC is an example of what was once known as Democratic Centralism. This is a Marxist-Leninist concept: true democracy exists only when the Politburo tells everyone else what to do. They tried this in the Soviet Union. And we all know what happened to it...
thedoc

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:38 pm

thedoc wrote:
redrobo wrote:To the Doc: Just exactly what did Rod say that wasn't necessarily true.....in your opinion.

Without a version of what he actually said, I can't answer this properly. I'm not avoiding the question: I just thought at one point during proceedings that he was putting a very particular spin on the role of the Board in Jim Bentley's departure which did not tell the whole story. I also note that in the match-day programme, the `article' by co-owner Goldring didn't even mention the Faceflannel controversy which he was directly responsible for, let alone address it. Yet Jimbo cited this bit of skulduggery as the last straw at Morecambe as far as he was concerned. You could say that this isn't Rod's problem - he didn't do it. But Rod's part of the Board; is there no Collective Responsibility?

But to go back to what I wrote originally, given that there's no mechanism for feedback from plebs like me and most of the rest us to the Upper Crust who own our club, maybe this is not all that surprising. To use another political analogy, what happens at Morecambe FC is an example of what was once known as Democratic Centralism. This is a Marxist-Leninist concept: true democracy exists only when the Politburo tells everyone else what to do. They tried this in the Soviet Union. And we all know what happened to it...

Your talents are wasted on here doc, top quality journalism that wouldn't look out of place in the national's ;)
HALMA 1983

Postby al1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:39 pm

If anyone has a question to ask of the board you can always get in touch with the TRUST,and they will ask the board when they next meet
al1

Postby Bare bum » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm

yes Doc, but this is a football club not a state political system.

Democratic centralism worked reasonably well until Stalin exterminated the democratic side and increased the centralism. And Stalin started off as a pleb.
Bare bum

Postby thedoc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:36 pm

al1 wrote:If anyone has a question to ask of the board you can always get in touch with the TRUST,and they will ask the board when they next meet

Good point, well made.
thedoc

Postby thedoc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Bare bum wrote:
Democratic centralism worked reasonably well...

Pardon? Never heard of the extermination of the Kulak class; Collective Farms and the famine these policies created? All under Comrade Lenin, not Uncle Joe. But let's remember - this is a football forum, not a political one where people - er - state their views.
thedoc

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 pm

I'm sure if you went into the posh bar (upstairs) after the game Rod would most likely be in there. Just go and ask if you could have a chat,i'm sure he would be happy to do so. He doesn't bite either :D
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Bare bum » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:22 am

Pardon? Never heard of the extermination of the Kulak class; Collective Farms and the famine these policies created? All under Comrade Lenin, not Uncle Joe. But let's remember - this is a football forum, not a political one where people - er - state their views.

Ha!
Invoking the extermination of the Kulaks always shows desperation in a critique of democratic centralism.
Far more complicated, it's all about context. Besides there are very few golchomags who support Morecambe and they're all located on the Berlin wall ;)
Bare bum

Postby thedoc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 am

Bare Bum wrote:
`there are very few golchomags who support Morecambe'

Blimey! And I thought that a Golcho Mag was one of those dodgy ones on the top shelf!

Always remember:

"The death of an individual is a tragedy. The death of an entire class is a statistic!"

Uncle Joe knew how to tell them! (Good point though Comrade Bum...) :?
thedoc

Postby jbc.shrimp » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:11 pm

For all those that feel there is (was) no chance of replying to, or questioning Rod's speech. There are always the fans forums for all to attend. I've never know Rod to miss one and is always happy to respond.There must be one fairly soon.
jbc.shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:06 pm

Just thought it is worth a mention, Rod has been a Director of MFC for 30 years now, well done through the good times and the bad
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion