Morecambe 2 [Allesandra x2] Exeter 3 iFollow thread

Re: Morecambe 2 [Allesandra x2] Exeter 2 iFollow thread

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Great to see AJay coming on for Cole.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Morecambe 2 [Allesandra x2] Exeter 3 iFollow thread

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:49 pm

FFS :evil: :evil: :evil:

That was more awful defending. We've played much better second half, but that was dreadful.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Lavelle off, second yellow for a clumsy, unnecessary tackle.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Very poor first half. Better once we change the formation. But having felt comfortable with the defence so far this season, they looked like they'd never met each other today. O'Sullivan needs to run at a player when he's got them backing off instead of looking for a backwards pass. Freez commented that the second ball kept falling for Exeter but I think part of that is they worked harder to look for that second/loose ball. Tutte also looked to back off all the time rather than search for a positive run or pass.

Not good enough, far from being worthy at home. Fortunately our away performances have been better and we've a couple of away games coming up!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby paschahound » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Exciting game and a decent performance after the first 30 minutes against a side that looks to be one of the division's stronger teams.
paschahound

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:20 pm

paschahound wrote:Exciting game and a decent performance after the first 30 minutes against a side that looks to be one of the division's stronger teams.

That was obvious managing a 0-0 at Oldham
HALMA 1983

Postby Andy D » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Just got back.

Jim picked a decent team to attack, slow start but at least we had a go against a very good side.

PS nice to see AJ Smith back, hope he starts with upfront alongside Miller next in L2, both clever players and should work well together!
Andy D

Postby MFC-Manc » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Exeter worked very hard, fought for every ball. We improved in the second half. I’m not sure what halstead has to do to get back in goal.....
I'm getting by just the best I can, While you're directing traffic
MFC-Manc

Postby MfcChris » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Miller did play better after when Stockton came off. So glad AJ is back as Miller and Stockton have not impressed me yet.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:03 pm

The first half was shocking. We had players stood still with the ball 3 times in 5 minutes with nobody wanting passing to. We couldn't pick a pass and put no tackles in. They battered us down our left hand side with Cranston looking shell shocked. The defending for the 2nd goal was sunday league football. The game changed when Allessandra came on, he has to start every time. The 2nd half was better because we started to compete and tightened up the left hand side. O'Sullivan got the Barky treatment and was put at right wing back but did a great job. We still look disorganised and clueless at times.

On another note, getting in to the ground has become a right ball ache. Can someone train the stewards who operate the turnstiles please? I am bored of explaining that my u11 gets in free on my season ticket. There has been no problem for the last 7 years but now it is a guaranteed row.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 pm

I don’t agree, that overall the first half was shocking. Defensively “shocking “ in conceding the goals, but before they scored, thought we were well in the game. 2nd half, we definitely stepped up a gear, and it could have quite easily have swung our way. Cranston looked a bit beleaguered 1st half, but improved and seemed to settle to his game after the break. Jury still out with regard Cole S, but Aj looked bright as a button. His shot was definitely on its way to the onion bag. For me, we were worthy of a point, against another of the league “top lads.”
Slanester

Postby Slanester » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Just watched the Exeter managers post match interview. He said that in the 1st half, Exeter played the best football that they have all season. Puts a bit of perspective to things(?)
Slanester

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Slanester wrote:Just watched the Exeter managers post match interview. He said that in the 1st half, Exeter played the best football that they have all season. Puts a bit of perspective to things(?)

What? A team turning up and playing well against us is an excuse for losing? Don't really buy in to that logic but I do agree they played some good football. Lets just hope other teams don't play well against us in the future.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:52 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Slanester wrote:Just watched the Exeter managers post match interview. He said that in the 1st half, Exeter played the best football that they have all season. Puts a bit of perspective to things(?)

What? A team turning up and playing well against us is an excuse for losing? Don't really buy in to that logic but I do agree they played some good football. Lets just hope other teams don't play well against us in the future.

We both know,you and me will never buy into the same logic, won’t lose any sleep over it. Who said anything about an excuse for losing?? Perspective, related to their first half performance only, and how well their manager thought they had played.
Slanester

Postby Castaway » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:42 pm

I thought we looked a bit timid in our own skin all across the park today. Timid (or hesitant) to clear our lines, reluctant to take a man on or pass forward. Miller and particularly Stockton both need a goal, like any good forward.

Fair play to Jim today, he tried a different line-up with two up top and was wasn´t scared to make changes. From a defensive perspective I prefer a back four of Buxton, Lavelle, Old, Conlan. Obviously, we couldn´t pick Conlan through suspension and Sam will miss the next game due to his redcard. I´m a big fan of Cranston, with the energy that he brings, but he´s not an effective left back/wing back defensively. Their right winger/wing back Williams got behind him a number of times with ease in the first half. On a positive, Lewis took his goals well and I thought Brewitt looks like he´s growing into his role. Team for next game:

__________Miller___Stockton___________

Alessandra___Cranston__Brewitt____Sullivan

Conlan______Old______Sutton_____Buxton_

_____________Halstead________________
Castaway

Postby redrobo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:50 am

For me we look lacking in energy and that reflected in a lack lustre performance especially in the first 45.

All the goals resulted from a lack of close marking and to some extent a case 'leaving it to someone else' to clear the danger.

Exeter looked a team that will be there or there abouts come May but their defence does look a bit questionable but their forward and midfield control and energy will be their main threat.

Good to see AJ back in the fold but once again we had no midfield to talk of and unless JB can find someone for nothing before 2 September then it will be a long hard season at the wrong end of the table....once again.
redrobo

Previous

Return to General Discussion