Slightly O/T - Boreham Wood chairman slams 'paltry' crowd

Slightly O/T - Boreham Wood chairman slams 'paltry' crowd

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:57 am

Thought this was an interesting and incredibly open interview: https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co. ... a-concern/

Any similarities to our situation? 10+ years in the Football League but we can't seem to increase attendances
tim-sanchez

Re: Slightly O/T - Boreham Wood chairman slams 'paltry' crow

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:23 am

Wow!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Slanester » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 am

Strikingly similar in many ways.
Slanester

Postby paschahound » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:33 pm

277 home fans at Conference level is terrible. We used to get (a few) more than that watching weekly defeats in the NPL.
Wonder if it's another case of a Chairman realising he can't just pump money into a team with limited tradition and expect everyone to jump on board. So many similar cases such as Darlington, Celtic Nation, Leigh, Gretna...
paschahound

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 pm

This fella has been chairman before at Borehamwood and has returned to the role after this happened...

https://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news ... -on-women/

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:This fella has been chairman before at Borehamwood and has returned to the role after this happened...

https://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news ... -on-women/

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Maybe the crowds aren't so surprising
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby thedoc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 pm

The name of the club probably doesn’t help. Boreham Rigid would be even worse, I suppose. But seriously though folks, at the risk of stating the bleedin’ obvious – look at the Premiership in this country. The man Sanchez at United has never had a regular place in their team. But what they pay him for just one week to do nothing on its own would keep us afloat for a whole season. As Bury – almost walking distance from the Cathedral of Old Trafford - disappear down the plughole altogether. This can’t be right, simple as that.
thedoc

Postby Andy D » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:46 am

This is the most relevant peice to us, we can certainly relate to this.

But it does feel that the Town will turn out for the bigger cup games and a derby against Barnet, but then seem to want to support the club from their front rooms, from the local pubs and bars who on a Saturday show illegal Premier League games that kick off at 3pm and get themselves updated on social media.

You can put it down to whatever you like Grant, but there’s nothing more that I can do here. I’ve tried everything and if we’re honest with each other, whatever I do or try to do to increase home support nothing seems to works.

Andy D

Postby shrimperteer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:02 am

I’m not sure his policy insulting the people who haven’t turned up is going to change their minds. Whatever a crowd size at any club, you can’t blame the fans. When someone is parting with their cash it’s up to the party trying to make them spend it to up their game. If someone wants to turn up only to see an FA cup tie against Man United then that’s up to them.

Football however is slightly different when it comes to ‘brand loyalty’ but the principles stay the same. The product needs to be appealing for people to consume it. To complicate this further is unrealistic expectations from football fans. Case in point is Ipswich Town. The fans whining about negative play or style of football on a limited budget forced the manager out. Any idiot could see that this would lead to them getting relegated and it did.

Fact is, with the exception of teams like Salford getting money thrown at them, that a football club’s earnings come down to demand for that club. If clubs are being financially irresponsible to compete with other financially irresponsible clubs then someone is going to go tits up somewhere along the lines.
The only way to solve it is for clubs to behave themselves financially and for football fans to realise they can’t have their cake and eat it. Neither seem likely.
shrimperteer

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 am

Slagging off people for not buying your businesses product is an amazing sales technique.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby Andy D » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:02 pm

shrimperteer wrote:
Football however is slightly different when it comes to ‘brand loyalty’ but the principles stay the same. The product needs to be appealing for people to consume it. To complicate this further is unrealistic expectations from football fans. Case in point is Ipswich Town. The fans whining about negative play or style of football on a limited budget forced the manager out. Any idiot could see that this would lead to them getting relegated and it did.

Ahh but! West Brom were warned about this with getting rid of Tony Pulis for setting teams up to park the bus and win 1-0, even though he was tried and trusted for keeping teams in the Premier League (Stoke City, Crystal Palace too)

West Brom now in the Championship, Fans were asked do you regret hounding Tony Pulis out now? and Fans said no, we'd rather play open Football even if it is in the Championship.

It's been on 5 Live and on Sky or BT with a reporters chatting to Fans.
Last edited by Andy D on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy D

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Similar question can be asked of Morecambe fans. How much longer can League survival be deemed a successful season?
BerlinWaller

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:57 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Similar question can be asked of Morecambe fans. How much longer can League survival be deemed a successful season?

As long as we have an EFL side.

Many so called 'bigger clubs' no longer have this privilege, but we do! I look forward to the visits of the supposed far superior clubs, Bradford, Carlisle, Oldham, Swindon (all ex top league) and even the Galacticos of Salford in the near future.If they survive then next season we could also look forward to our near neighbors Bolton Wanderers and Bury paying us a visit.

An occasional big name in the cup also doesn't go amiss. We could have had had a Premiership Club in the second round of the Carabao but it wasn't to be. Cherish what we have! We can't throw stupid money at it like some do but we can be successful in our own way. Loving it, punching way above our weight!

UTS.

UTS.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby al1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:27 pm

So having 2 shots on target in 2 home games is acceptable,even against teams who finished last season not too far above us ? Well not acceptable in my eyes!
al1

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:21 pm

al1 wrote:So having 2 shots on target in 2 home games is acceptable,even against teams who finished last season not too far above us ? Well not acceptable in my eyes!

I totally agree, we should be pissing this tin pot league! :lol: Cheer up me old mate, away form is pretty decent at the mo'!

UTS.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:09 am

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Similar question can be asked of Morecambe fans. How much longer can League survival be deemed a successful season?

Many so called 'bigger clubs' no longer have this privilege, but we do! I look forward to the visits of the supposed far superior clubs, Bradford, Carlisle, Oldham, Swindon (all ex top league) and even the Galacticos of Salford in the near future.If they survive then next season we could also look forward to our near neighbors Bolton Wanderers and Bury paying us a visit.

An occasional big name in the cup also doesn't go amiss. We could have had had a Premiership Club in the second round of the Carabao but it wasn't to be. Cherish what we have! We can't throw stupid money at it like some do but we can be successful in our own way. Loving it, punching way above our weight!

UTS.

UTS.

This is the answer I expected but not what I was looking for. I meant as a product, perineal struggles at the foot of League 2 year in year out is a hard product to sell and why our gates will be forever low. Now, IF we were challenging at the top of the national league year in year out our gates would be some what higher.

And if my Uncle had tits he would be my Auntie
BerlinWaller

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:57 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:

UTS.

UTS.

This is the answer I expected but not what I was looking for. I meant as a product, perineal struggles at the foot of League 2 year in year out is a hard product to sell and why our gates will be forever low. Now, IF we were challenging at the top of the national league year in year out our gates would be some what higher.

And if my Uncle had tits he would be my Auntie

Nerve: Perineal nerve, posterior scrotal nerves, ...
Artery: Perineal artery, dorsal artery of the penis ...

That explains it! If the team are having 'perineal struggles' then you can see why they're struggling to get shots on target. Bloody painful what? :lol:
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Lol let down by my spell checker! Cheers for the bite though.
BerlinWaller

Return to General Discussion